Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Roylicious posted:

Can we talk about Nickelodeon's Legends of the Hidden Temple for a second? Because I liked that show a lot as kid.

Stupid idiot kids could never put the dumb statue together.

Kirk Fogg admitted that the game was rigged. They only had the prize budget for so many Huffy bicycles per season, so the guards would just ensure a loss for most of those kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zorodius posted:

Kirk Fogg admitted that the game was rigged. They only had the prize budget for so many Huffy bicycles per season, so the guards would just ensure a loss for most of those kids.

yeah it was also pretty brutal on the kids too

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I keep reading this as titty bars

I apologize to the jesuits

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Has anyone asked whether it is problematic to drink at a Tiki bar in Hawaii? :ohdear:

the only problematic thing about it is that they all pay minimum wage and give just short of full time hours

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
One time I went to a kava bar. I knew not the figure of the Hawaiian deity on the counter. No white man could have told me of it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
tiki rules

buy tiki mugs

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Zorodius posted:

I also heard that they filmed most of the shows for each season on a single day and as such a lot of the kids ended up being contained in a small room with nothing but junkfood for 8 hours and that caused them to be a bit hosed up when the time came to actually play.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
I remember reading that liberals/leftist are on average more educated, but isn't history being thought in US high schools or colleges ? How can someone be so clueless about how cultures spread and evolve ??

Look at this Anubis in the hellenistic style. cultural appropriation ?

What about this statue of Isis ? The romans who made it loved and honored the goddess and would have never mocked her. Is this bad ?

This statue of Antonius would have never existed if cultures didn't influence each other

The first statues of the Buddha appeared around modern day Afghanistan because a hellenized culture mixed with the one coming from India and created something beautiful.

Should all these artifacts be destroyed because they didn't respect cultural purity ?? I don't understand :(

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

ya break the furry one

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Decebal posted:

What about this statue of Isis ? The romans who made it loved and honored the goddess and would have never mocked her. Is this bad ?

Should all these artifacts be destroyed because they didn't respect cultural purity ?? I don't understand :(

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Applewhite posted:

Seconded. I think this was an excellent inaugural debate for our new forum.

Everytime I saw this had like two or three new pages I was thinkin it had descended into bullshit but it's pretty good still.

I like the one conversation that Zizek had with some native americans (maybe like, OG americans) that said they didn't like "native american" as a term because it kind of gives connotations to the whole noble savage thing and that they liked 'indian' if only because it stood as a monument to how fuckin dumb the west was when they ran into america. lol

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Decebal posted:

I remember reading that liberals/leftist are on average more educated, but isn't history being thought in US high schools or colleges ? How can someone be so clueless about how cultures spread and evolve ??

This statue of Antonius would have never existed if cultures didn't influence each other

The first statues of the Buddha appeared around modern day Afghanistan because a hellenized culture mixed with the one coming from India and created something beautiful.

Those are tight statues. That Isis one is beautiful.

I think the mingling of the cultures in these is obviously done with respect or admiration. It's the thing, does it look racist? Does it look like it's making a joke or mockery or fun of one of the inspirations/cultures? Nah, these are awesome.

You can tell the difference between this and a cigar store indian

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Decebal posted:

Mesa feel a draft Ani

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

MrSlam posted:

Google search "Chinese restaurant cultural appropriation"

then feel a little queasy
there are 3 chinese restaurants to every other type where i live and every single one is staffed by a bunch of immigrants who barely speak english

is this white people looking down on minorities for 'distilling their culture' cause it sounds like it 2 me

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

MrSlam posted:

Google search "Chinese restaurant cultural appropriation"

then feel a little queasy

drat no joke

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Roylicious posted:

Can we talk about Nickelodeon's Legends of the Hidden Temple for a second? Because I liked that show a lot as kid.

I remember watching it and not knowing what the gently caress was going on.

Same with Double Dare, Nickelodeon game shows were loving weird and I'm fairly certain the rules were made up as they went along.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Those are tight statues. That Isis one is beautiful.

I think the mingling of the cultures in these is obviously done with respect or admiration. It's the thing, does it look racist? Does it look like it's making a joke or mockery or fun of one of the inspirations/cultures? Nah, these are awesome.

You can tell the difference between this and a cigar store indian

They made Isis white when she's clearly Egyptian. They're clearly presenting a person of color as a westerner and denying her native heritage.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Dreddout posted:

I remember watching it and not knowing what the gently caress was going on.

90s was basically :catdrugs: 24/7

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Decebal posted:

They made Isis white when she's clearly Egyptian. They're clearly presenting a person of color as a westerner and denying her native heritage.

When you make up dumb poo poo for other people to say it doesn't actually make anyone else look dumb.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Decebal posted:

I want a desktop-sized one of those now. Cultural appropriation be damned. Would that be cultural appropriation squared?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Doody-Free Shop posted:

I want a desktop-sized one of those now. Cultural appropriation be damned. Would that be cultural appropriation squared?

No. Cultural appropriation is mainly relevant to contemporary, living people.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

...and the pitch! posted:

No. Cultural appropriation is mainly relevant to contemporary, living people.

Cultures should be separate. But of course, equal !

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Decebal posted:

Cultures should be separate. But of course, equal !

It's totally cool when they blend. Some people aren't that cool about how they use things from other cultures. It's not complicated or crazy.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Tiki bars suck 99% of the time anyways. There is this one in San Francisco that's been posted about here, somehow positively, except that past 8pm it's awful. They have 2 bartenders making many-step drinks that take forever, the drinks are like 10 bucks (because they use RARE RUM!! not that it matters because the drinks are all juice and sugar) and the worst part: all of the attractive girls are 2 hours away from vomiting their guts out because they're girl-drink-drunk.

I appreciate nice cocktails, but tiki bar drinks are not nice cocktails. I will give tiki bars at hotels a pass because as was pointed out earlier, a mai tai with your hangover breakfast is wonderful, and usually goes down better than a mimosa or bloody marys when you're inevitably going to have a few more.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
in related news NBC cancels it's phillipina mail order bride sitcom less than 3 days after announcing it

I learned over brunch today that my sister's phillippina nanny and her roommates are all really pissed about this, but apparently white americans can't accept other cultures being shown on TV (except african american)

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/10/mail-order-family-plans-scrapped

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Only tiki bar I have been to is in Kihei, and its totally legit because:
-amazing pizza
-local music every day
-$4 margaritas
-geckoes running around all over the place
-on an island
-blackstrap rum mai tais
-my glass tried to kill the Brady kids once upon a time

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

It's totally cool when they blend. Some people aren't that cool about how they use things from other cultures. It's not complicated or crazy.

too many words

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

The thing though, is this is always inevitable.

Small subculture does something cool, away from everyone else.

Dominant culture vanguard, ever on the lookout to stave off boredom, notices, and makes themselves cool by adopting it.

Dominant culture normals don't quite like things that weird, but if they take their own stuff, and 'spice it up' with edgy bits of subculture, they like it.

That dominant culture hybrid makes more money and has more success because it's more appealing to a larger audience. It wins over the subculture version.

Subculture, mad that they weren't given 100% of the dominant culture's attention and money, gets angry.

That's how everything has always worked, everywhere, always. It is the same dynamic no matter who is in power, it's just much faster nowadays due to our connectedness and the amount of free goddamn time we have due to labor-saving global warming devices.

I'm really wondering how far and how long this current 'shame' culture that is fighting it will take things. It's pretty drat new to me. I'm kinda waiting for a huge backlash.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

thoughts and prayers posted:

The thing though, is this is always inevitable.

Small subculture does something cool, away from everyone else.

Dominant culture vanguard, ever on the lookout to stave off boredom, notices, and makes themselves cool by adopting it.

Dominant culture normals don't quite like things that weird, but if they take their own stuff, and 'spice it up' with edgy bits of subculture, they like it.

That dominant culture hybrid makes more money and has more success because it's more appealing to a larger audience. It wins over the subculture version.

Subculture, mad that they weren't given 100% of the dominant culture's attention and money, gets angry.

That's how everything has always worked, everywhere, always. It is the same dynamic no matter who is in power, it's just much faster nowadays due to our connectedness and the amount of free goddamn time we have due to labor-saving global warming devices.

I'm really wondering how far and how long this current 'shame' culture that is fighting it will take things. It's pretty drat new to me. I'm kinda waiting for a huge backlash.

Like, say, Trump?

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Roylicious posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7eHPW7n7Ko]

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bilirubin posted:

Like, say, Trump?

Trump is a silly television character, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Decebal posted:

mmm.. my husbando :pervert:

okay but what about when the people the culture is being borrowed don't give a gently caress or are even a little gladdened by it, but rich brats kick and scream because they have nothing better to do

it's f when referring to the people so filipina, and ph- when referring to the country :eng101:

stop appropriating the greek alphabet you gently caress

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 1, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Cultural appropriation has ensured that Japanese culture is recognized and even celebrated across the entire globe.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Genderfluent posted:

So what would a bar appropriating American culture look like? Trucker themed?

From way back in the thread but: there are a few crappy dives in Helsinki that are "American" themed, that is, decorated with motorcycle parts, Indian headgear, Route 66 signs and so on. I'll remember to shed a tear for the poor Americans suffering under the appropriative regime of drunk middle-aged alcoholics the next time I get sloshed in one.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Tumble posted:

Tiki bars suck 99% of the time anyways. There is this one in San Francisco that's been posted about here, somehow positively, except that past 8pm it's awful. They have 2 bartenders making many-step drinks that take forever, the drinks are like 10 bucks (because they use RARE RUM!! not that it matters because the drinks are all juice and sugar) and the worst part: all of the attractive girls are 2 hours away from vomiting their guts out because they're girl-drink-drunk.

$10 for a drink is on the low-end in SF now man, it's pretty typical for poo poo to be like $10-12+ I consider $10 for a cocktail/decent drink to be pretty standard (and consequently I dont drink in the bay area much since gently caress that)

But yeah crowds are these bars are utterly loving insane since they're hip and often tiny places. Any place that's socialmedia friendly or w/e is loving insane and I can't believe people wait in line for 1+hr for the latest hip restaurant just to post some lovely pictures on facebook or w/e. And gently caress waiting around more than 5 minutes for a drink. also lol that's true about the girls but that's not unique to smugglers cove or something.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Am I reading it right that the only people who could possibly be offended don't care and it's a bunch of White people getting offended for them (because they don't know any better!)?!?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Cultural appropriation has ensured that Japanese culture is recognized and even celebrated across the entire globe.

Despite their early efforts to do otherwise :nyd:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I don't go, but that is because they are overpriced.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

lol what a freak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!