Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

be close to 100% white, have a fraction of the poverty rate (and consider "poverty" to be making twice what American poor people do), have a way less aggressive drug war, proliferate guns in a way that requires you to have at least basic familiarity with them in a professional, non-Hollywood context before you get cut loose with one.

Switzerland has guns for national security. America has guns for personal security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the two countries have a basically similar history of rationale behind gun ownership, executed in slightly different ways (the actual American militias ceased to be a thing almost instantly). Swiss gun nerds are not all over them because Nazis are going to come swarming up their mountain any day now, at least not any more than their American counterparts are actually stockpiling for the zombie apocalypse that isn't a thinly veiled analogy for race war

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

the two countries have a basically similar history of rationale behind gun ownership, executed in slightly different ways (the actual American militias ceased to be a thing almost instantly). Swiss gun nerds are not all over them because Nazis are going to come swarming up their mountain any day now, at least not any more than their American counterparts are actually stockpiling for the zombie apocalypse that isn't a thinly veiled analogy for race war

I just buy guns because they are neat bits of engineering.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Guns are good and shooting them is fun and cool.

:tipshat:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Rahu posted:

Guns are good and shooting them is fun and cool.

:tipshat:

I agree, which is one of many things that makes the USA cool and distinctive.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Mr.Tophat posted:

Switzerland has guns for national security. America has guns for personal security.

I'm pretty sure the Swiss have the guns but aren't issued any ammo, specifically to avoid having people shoot each other with them.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Outlaw the word nana

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

not restricting people from owning stuff based on some third party's assumption of their needs is maybe the biggest factor keeping Americans from enjoying the glorious living standard of the average North Korean

I'm oppressed by the fact I can't buy sarin at the grocery store.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Outlaw the word nana

Growing up I had Nana, Nano, Nonnie, and Nunu.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Honestly, maybe it's candy that should be outlawed.
Guns are bad but type 2 diabetes is no laughing matter either

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Boywhiz88 posted:

I phrased it how I did because I didn't want to deal w gun violence apologists jumping down my throats by virtue of me being wrong by a percentage point.

now instead of that the families of those murdered by pistols hate you for downplaying their very common daily tragedy by a massive percent

to anyone still really arguing for further gun regulations in america: will you ever even try to reply to the part where rifles only kill 290 people a year in a country of 305? million people with 320 million guns

ban kitchen knives, winter boots, fists, the knuckles that make a fist, the fingers that by extension are guilty of the crime of the knuckles

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

extra stout posted:

ban kitchen knives, winter boots, fists, the knuckles that make a fist, the fingers that by extension are guilty of the crime of the knuckles

Or how about we just shoot all those things

with our guns

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

extra stout posted:

now instead of that the families of those murdered by pistols hate you for downplaying their very common daily tragedy by a massive percent

to anyone still really arguing for further gun regulations in america: will you ever even try to reply to the part where rifles only kill 290 people a year in a country of 305? million people with 320 million guns

ban your posting

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
nuclear weapons kill 0 people annually, why cant i buy a thermonuclear warhead for responsible use as a private citizen

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Growing up on the planet Ork I had Nana, Nano, Nonnie, and Nunu.

I seee

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

extra stout posted:

This is the oldest and stupidest argument against gun control.

"Well if criminals don't have guns then they will just use knives, bats, etc."

I don't even know how anyone could possibly think that's true. Someone surly will now post a few anecdotal instances of knife attacks in China or something. It is way more difficult to kill someone with a knife on not only a physical level but a mental level. There is a huge disconnect of pointing a gun and pulling a trigger and grabbing hold of someone and stabbing them. It makes it much more personal and many people aren't comfortable with that. Criminal or not.

You've got to be a loving idiot to think that someone can pull off a mass baseball bat attack just as easily as a with a gun. Physically it just doesn't make sense. How many times do you have to hit a person in the head with a bat before they die compared to a bullet which takes half a second.

"Oh well you're just talking about mass shootings." First of all, we have a mass shooting like every week. Second, it applies to any sort of violent crime. It's far easier and less personal to just point and click.

Then we have the good ol' statistics. Australia now has a gun related death rate of 1 per 100,000 people. They put in some strict gun laws right after a mass shooting. The United States has a gun related death rate of 10.2 per 100,000 people. Well that's a pretty big divide.

Now let's talk about suicide....

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 25, 2017

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jesus loved her so it all works out you see

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Okay, it's down to brass denim patches. Would you trade your guns for free healthcare?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Okay, it's down to brass denim patches. Would you trade your guns for free healthcare?

A gun or a working dick, you can only choose one.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
How many drive-by stabbings are there?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You've got to be a loving idiot to think that someone can pull off a mass baseball bat attack just as easily as a with a gun. Physically it just doesn't make sense. How many times do you have to hit a person in the head with a bat before they die compared to a bullet which takes half a second.

"Oh well you're just talking about mass shootings." First of all, we have a mass shooting like every week. Second, it applies to any sort of violent crime. It's far easier and less personal to just point and click.

You have to be a loving idiot to be talking about mass baseball bat attacks when the overwhelming majority of murders are done by an enraged person beating the poo poo out of one victim.

Then, you have to be an extra idiot to say "we should spend trillions of dollars to revamp gun manufacture and seize all old style guns" based on that argument instead of "we should examine the huge economic problems that are the cause of violence in the first place."

Gang violence is the biggest cause of gun violence specifically and hey that is a direct result of our insane war on drugs.

How many times do you have to hit a person in the head with a bat before they die compared to a bullet which takes half a second.

Once. It is easier to kill people than you think. A lot of people die during arguments when they get shoved and hit their head/neck one time at the wrong angle.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 25, 2017

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

COMRADES posted:

You have to be a loving idiot to be talking about mass baseball bat attacks when the overwhelming majority of murders are done by an enraged person beating the poo poo out of one victim.

Then, you have to be an extra idiot to say "we should spend trillions of dollars to revamp gun manufacture and seize all old style guns" based on that argument instead of "we should examine the huge economic problems that are the cause of violence in the first place."

Gang violence is the biggest cause of gun violence specifically and hey that is a direct result of our insane war on drugs.

Once. It is easier to kill people than you think. A lot of people die during an argument when they get shoved and hit their head/neck one time at the wrong angle.

I agree with all of this. :shrug:

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I agree with all of this. :shrug:

Well the only other thing I'll say is I agree that reasonable gun control should be enacted and I also think people on the other end of the argument going "literally any rules at all = government oppression and must be fought tooth and nail" are maniacs. Granny should get a manslaughter charge for criminal negligence as far as I'm concerned.

I know this was another poster but it's just that when I see a suggestion like "well all guns should have biometric security on them" I wonder what the hell world these people are living in.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

COMRADES posted:

I know this was another poster but it's just that when I see a suggestion like "well all guns should have biometric security on them" I wonder what the hell world these people are living in.

Librium.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

COMRADES posted:

Once. It is easier to kill people than you think. A lot of people die during arguments when they get shoved and hit their head/neck one time at the wrong angle.

Most people who want gun control don't want all guns completely banned. They perhaps want to maybe see some consideration to possibly attempting to ban guns that take out an entire movie theater or classroom in 11 seconds because it probably isn't useful for hunting deer.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

do u know jenny posted:

Most people who want gun control don't want all guns completely banned. They perhaps want to maybe see some consideration to possibly attempting to ban guns that take out an entire movie theater or classroom in 11 seconds because it probably isn't useful for hunting deer.

Well it is interesting then that they do constantly say things like "all handguns should be banned" and consistently make laws about "assault rifles" that end up having nothing at all to do with actually preventing what you said.

It's just political bullshit designed to pander to their base while doing nothing at all about the underlying causes of the problem.

e: Sandy Hook shooter used a semi-automatic gun that many hunters use btw. It is interesting that you bring up class shootings when the problem there is almost always severe and untreated mental illness. Hey I know let's gut healthcare even more!

Hey, I know let's keep wages depressed for decades so now both parents need to work pretty much full time and no one has time to properly raise a kid. Formula for success!

ee: And yeah obviously don't leave your guns/ammo lying around for people to easily find - that definitely falls under the umbrella of 'sane gun control.'

quote:

A Report from the Office of the Child Advocate found that
"Yale’s recommendations for extensive special education supports, ongoing expert consultation, and rigorous therapeutic supports embedded into (Lanza's) daily life went largely unheeded".[154]

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 25, 2017

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
But then the kids got guns and murdered a bunch of people who couldn't get away because bullets fly through the air very fast.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So hold the gun owners criminally liable for negligence leading to death and watch how fast people stop leaving their guns around for toddlers to find.

e:

And again your answer to that is sane gun control not "let's put biometrics on all the guns."

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

COMRADES posted:

Well it is interesting then that they do constantly say things like "all handguns should be banned" and consistently make laws about "assault rifles" that end up having nothing at all to do with actually preventing what you said.

I don't think they say all handguns should be banned; I think they say things like "having a large percentage of the populations of New York City and Los Angeles always having a handgun on them at all times like it's the wild west when people there can't even handle the stress of traffic jams is extremely different than some grandma in Arizona who wants one for her grocery shopping trip in a town of 300"

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
And yeah having everyone carry and conceal (or not conceal, whatever) does result in poo poo like this

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-432300103.html

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/waitress-shot-to-death-after-asking-customer-to-put-out-smoke/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jus4ZX3AyJY

I could link to a thousand of these. Tons and tons of cases where somebody was killed or almost killed because nobody knows how to handle their anger but they've got access to a handgun at all times because they might one day be able to shoot the 20 year old trying to rob a gas station for $300 and we can't have anyone getting away with that without death.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't think everyone should be allowed to carry a gun all the time. When you have a hammer all problems start to look like nails.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

COMRADES posted:

Well the only other thing I'll say is I agree that reasonable gun control should be enacted and I also think people on the other end of the argument going "literally any rules at all = government oppression and must be fought tooth and nail" are maniacs. Granny should get a manslaughter charge for criminal negligence as far as I'm concerned.

Since this thread's still going, whats your thoughts on CA's gun laws?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Id like to be fired out of a cannon over a walmart parking lot and shot down, brutally. As the walmart birds swarm my dying body I'll think to myself "I never have to read another wall of text about guns again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think making sure your gun is locked up in a fire proof safe is reasonable as hell and the clip size limits and reload tool things seem fine, too.

• Locked thread