Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Applewhite posted:

More Atheists are recruited from Catholicism than any other religion. Just another reason why Catholicism is the second best religion after Sikhs.

the largest religious denomination has the largest amount of people? whoa....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Conch Shell Corp posted:

It still seems like a disproportionate amount.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Applewhite posted:

It still seems like a disproportionate amount.

how many is that?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of the Irish forums joke:

"Are you a Catholic or a Protestant?"

"I'm an atheist."

"Yeah, but are you are a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist?"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
He destroyed Hell too late. Frieza already got out

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Conch Shell Corp posted:

plus most catholics don't have this whole "death to those who leave our religion" another really large religious denomination seems to have

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

old beast lunatic posted:

are you mad? This would create a drunken atheist army. I say this as an east coast catholic raised atheist who now lives in the utah desert. I will lead the drunken atheist army. No more drinking, Catholics.

Nooo! :( leave my booze!

I've noticed that most atheists are "cradle catholics". I was raised in a Baptist family but we didn't really do much church stuff. I attended a catholic mass while in the service and it instantly had me intrigued. I love to study it all. But, if I were a child and had that stuff forced down my throat at a school.... ugh. I couldn't do it and I understand completely why most people get a bit jaded by it all. Sorry you had to go through that stuff, friend.

On another note, the dude who wrote the interview with the Pope says he "never takes notes" and is an outspoken atheist. The Pope said he didn't say there was no hell but the statement he made was bungled. Either intentionally or accidental since this guy doesn't take notes.

I heard this on the news at 4am, so even I can be hearing poo poo wrong. If someone else mentioned this already, my bad.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Also I bet the ritual to abolish hell was loving intense and took place miles beneath Vatican City

Triforce returned.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Applewhite posted:

No but seriously I'd rather go to hell than oblivion. This is effing garbage.

you actually wouldn't, and it'd be easy to prove with a little cooperation

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Lollin at "libtard pope"

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
The hell or oblivion question is pretty interesting. I wonder if that's what separates atheists from godhavers when you get right down to it? I'm down with oblivion over hell anyday.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i'd rather be tortured forever than be erased from existence. i don't like this new catholic god he is too metal

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Rutibex posted:

i'd rather be tortured forever than be erased from existence. i don't like this new catholic god he is too metal

Self-obliterating ownage

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Rutibex posted:

we can trade places because im the one reading your posts

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm reminded of the Irish forums joke:

"Are you a Catholic or a Protestant?"

"I'm an atheist."

"Yeah, but are you are a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist?"

Ha! Yeah I'm a Catholic atheist. Probably happened around 15 or so when I started having an existential crisis.... which pretty much hasn't gone away.

On an extremely weird note, I think I might go to Church today. The only time I ever go there is for communions or other bullshit which is extremely rare. I have no idea why I want to go and am perplexed by this thought. Coincidentally I started reading the New Testament for the first time ever. I tried reading it from the Old Testament but holy poo poo is that boring and I don't care to read pages and pages of who's someones uncle's cousin's daughter's twice removed son. I'm reading it just to see where these people get their crazy beliefs. I have a Quran as well but haven't read it.

I don't believe in God so I don't know why I'm going. Maybe to eat a piece of Jesus. I don't know I tend to get more "religous" (Buddhist) the less I drink. I think I just start getting a bit hypomanic and that might cause it.

Anyway, my mom absolutely loves this pope. I think he's a pretty cool guy too. Definitely one of the most progressive popes besides the whole child rape thing.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 30, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Creamed Cormp posted:

plus most catholics don't have this whole "death to those who leave our religion" another really large religious denomination seems to have

among other things, temporary apostasy is expected among catholics. yeah we know you are 17 and think it's dumb and all "fake and gay". you'll be back for your mom's funeral and then you'll probably remember how comforting it was to be somewhere that people thought their was a reason stuff happened. and what do you know, you're praying again.

it's how a religion confident in its product behaves :lofty:

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Pick posted:

among other things, temporary apostasy is expected among catholics. yeah we know you are 17 and think it's dumb and all "fake and gay". you'll be back for your mom's funeral and then you'll probably remember how comforting it was to be somewhere that people thought their was a reason stuff happened. and what do you know, you're praying again.

Yeah this is how it's supposed to work but based on my mom's parish It doesn't look like many are coming back. Everyone is old as gently caress.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Yeah this is how it's supposed to work but based on my mom's parish It doesn't look like many are coming back. Everyone is old as gently caress.

Did you not read the part where they all die and you'll all be back for the funeral, soon after that you'll be the old parishioners

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Kazak posted:

Did you not read the part where you'll all be back for the funeral, soon after you'll be the old parishioners

That doesn't happen in Appalachia we just drink ourselves to death instead of going to church.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

imho this is honestly mostly because everyone's really loving busy and tired

I skip church some weeks because I'm just loving tired as hell

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

its built into the system. that is the purpose of deliberately fooling kids about santa cluse, to get christian childrens existential crisis over with right away when they make the obvious analogy to God

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

That doesn't happen in Appalachia we just drink ourselves to death instead of going to church.

Oh ok makes sense. it's every facet of your culture dying off, not just your church.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Pick posted:

imho this is honestly mostly because everyone's really loving busy and tired

I skip church some weeks because I'm just loving tired as hell

That was always one of my go-to sins for confession. That's right you have to confess when you miss church for those of you who didn't grow up in the warhammer faith.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

That was always one of my go-to sins for confession. That's right you have to confess when you miss church for those of you who didn't grow up in the warhammer faith.

I mean you don't have to, yours was way more hardcore than mine I think. In ours it was supposed to mostly be the big stuff and then--this is the part non-catholics don't get hence their many jokes about it--you have to confess it, as in say you're sorry, and mean it, and intend not to do it any more

it's not supposed to be an indulgences thing without the genuine regret, which inherently requires a desire to not repeat the same

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
like i couldn't say "forgive me father, for i have shitposted" beause i love shitposting and i know the entire time i'm in mass im just jonesing to get back on the forums so i can shitpost some more and i love doing it and i will NEVER stop

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
fortunately, shitposting? not a sin.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Self-loathing was always the defining feature of Catholicism for me and in that respect I'm still catholic.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

fortunately, shitposting? not a sin.

it is on a sunday

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Self-loathing was always the defining feature of Catholicism for me and in that respect I'm still catholic.

the guilt is HIGHLY EFFECTIVE and does seem to stop catholics, overall, from going as douche hard as protestants. like u o NOT see catholic prosperity gospel, because it implies something nice is "supposed" to happen to you, and that is NOT correct, you do NOT deserve nice things. because you have done BAD things.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

did this motherfucker just condemn souls to non-existence and oblivion if they don't score Heaven?

that's pretty loving murderous Francis, what about their redemption on Judgment Day

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Black August posted:

did this motherfucker just condemn souls to non-existence and oblivion if they don't score Heaven?

that's pretty loving murderous Francis, what about their redemption on Judgment Day

as far as power scaling this puts the christian God on the same tier of God of Destruction Beerus, who can erase souls. before this retcon the christian God was clearly lower tier, only being able to kill people and send them to hell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JplzkAKhl9Y

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
oh hey it's good friday :rip: jesus.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
"Wait a minute. I've been looking at the brochure for the new levels of the afterlife and get this: Purgatory? That's where they're just leaving all the people who would otherwise go to Hell! Oh, and check this out, "Heaven Park". It's going to be a Heaven subdivision for weirdos who didn't actually do anything really bad but they're making everyone else in normal Heaven really uncomfortable."

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Rutibex posted:

as far as power scaling this puts the christian God on the same tier of God of Destruction Beerus, who can erase souls. before this retcon the christian God was clearly lower tier, only being able to kill people and send them to hell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JplzkAKhl9Y

I mean can Beerus use Hakai on all of Hell, is that even allowed

Francis is going too far and Earth is not ready to handle a Hell Fights Back Saga just yet, come on

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Black August posted:

Francis is going too far and Earth is not ready to handle a Hell Fights Back Saga just yet, come on

hakai can have a pretty big area, and Beerus nearly destroyed the universe when he fought with goku so i would say yes tentatively. the christian God really is pretty low tier when scaled to dragonball super in terms of feats. his best destruction feat is planetary, thats lower level than freeza. he was able to create a universe, but Bulma created twelve universes with her time machine and android 17 created eleven in the last episode with the dragonballs. creating universes is easy.

i doubt God could beat Jiren, definitely not ultra instinct Goku

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Applewhite posted:

No but seriously I'd rather go to hell than oblivion. This is effing garbage.

I'm going to hang out with all the daedra in oblivion. Praise Mehrunes Dagon.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Black August posted:

That poo poo happened in GT and was trivial.

As an aside, full power Jiren is straight-out better than UI Goku. He technically won that fight.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
The announcement of hell freezing over turns out to have been highly exaggerated:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pope-hell/vatican-rebukes-journalist-who-quoted-pope-as-denying-hell-idUSKBN1H52H8

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Rutibex posted:

i doubt God could beat Jiren, definitely not ultra instinct Goku

I mean Yenma would be pissed if Beerus erased Hell, he might tell the Zen-chans, or he might just have to deal with it. Guess it depends if Beerus erases Earth Hell only, or all of Hell for U7. But no, New Testament God may as well be the man with the senzu bag. Old Testament God might have the chops to compete.

Francis is pushing the Papel state for the first time in centuries. This could be the Legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

:toot:

• Locked thread