Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Just one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:justpost:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I really like this thread, but I don't know why.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Tree Bucket posted:

It's equal parts nightmare fuel for the employee stories and karma for the shitheel owners and CEOs watching every bad business decision they ever made finally coming to fruition. I only wish I had a story to add to it, but alas my lovely former employers are all still going strong and getting stronger.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
not my story, but a buddy of mine used to manage for a large regional department store. the credit card mandates started to come down from corporate, and individual departments were judged by those metrics. (the checkout person didn't even get a lovely commission... it was basically a collective obligation with no reward, only punishment.)

he ran his department really well, but this cc metric was hammering them, so one weekend he pulled an employee and took them and two clipboards out into the... gallery? of the mall. the two of them went out and chatted up people passing by until they fulfilled the entire quarter's quota, despite the fact that it was incredibly against the rules of the mall and the other fact that it had nothing to do with running his department.

he finally got burned out on never seeing his family, especially during the holidays. he quit and returned to running his own department store small business. since then, the chain got sold to a venture capital firm and then fairly quickly went through a couple new CEOs and then Chapter 11.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

It's equal parts nightmare fuel for the employee stories and karma for the shitheel owners and CEOs watching every bad business decision they ever made

is it really karma?

when i worked for Barnes&Noble there was a new CEO that took over a few months after i started. he fired like 3/4ths of senior management along with several hundred other people and brought in a bunch of his cronies from previous jobs. he presided over the company's entry into the eBook market and launch of its own eReader, and this was a complete disaster, ending in admitted failure and his resignation. but even so, he walked away with many millions of dollars in bonuses. pretty sure dude has been kicking back living an easy life as some kind of half-assed consultant or board member or whatever ever since.

people who gently caress up at that level might not get another job leading a massive corporation, but its pretty unusual that they suffer consequences that are anywhere close to those faced by the hundreds who's lives they hosed up over the years.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 16, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

it's equal parts decompression and schad

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Earwicker posted:

is it really karma?

when i worked for Barnes&Noble there was a new CEO that took over a few months after i started. he fired like 3/4ths of senior management along with several hundred other people and brought in a bunch of his cronies from previous jobs. he presided over the company's entry into the eBook market and launch of its own eReader, and this was a complete disaster, ending in admitted failure and his resignation. but even so, he walked away with many millions of dollars in bonuses. pretty sure dude has been kicking back living an easy life as some kind of half-assed consultant or board member or whatever ever since.

people who gently caress up at that level might not get another job leading a massive corporation, but its pretty unusual that they suffer consequences that are anywhere close to those faced by the hundreds who's lives they hosed up over the years.

Once you reach a certain tier, you never really go below it. You either coast or fail upwards. I've seen people gently caress up royal and move to a new company in a higher role, and we all know that at the highest rungs of the ladder, if you suck hard enough they'll pay you handsomely to go away quickly.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I worked at a failing private investigator company as a copy editor for about a year and it got bought out soon after I left. I took the job because I was desperate, my father had lost his job and I was living with my parents so I decided to do them a solid. The environment at the office was incredibly oppressive, essentially log into your PC and do the jobs available within time with no allowances for anything else while being closely monitored. My supervisor was a very angry bald man who was once big in the Orlando, FL techno scene during that heyday and lived in those glory days while being an incredibly aggressive soccer fan and an awful human being. This was also compounded by the fact that he had 5 children, mainly through IVF and them trying twice with triplets and then twins. He eventually got a son, who was very soft spoken and arguably "effeminate," which only added to his great personality. We would be assigned cases to review and most of it was just editing the reports, making sure they used the preferred terminology of the client, and we'd have to edit video. With video, it was usually a bunch of different cuts of the subject outside their home doing stuff. While a good number of times there was nothing, there was often video of the subject doing chores or being outside. Sometimes there was stuff like the subject taking their boat out on the lake, which I didn't feel so bad about because they're collecting disability. Just a note, if you're on disability, don't put yourself in any situation where you could be compromised because the insurance companies are hiring idiots to videotape and stalk you. I did find out that many of there investigators would take bribes to look the other way and remember, they are poorly paid so it doesn't take that much. While I worked there though, the demands became greater and greater and we were expected to cover more and more reports. We regularly worked 55 hour weeks and it was very apparent the company was in a death spiral and taking on more and more jobs to cover costs. The whole upper management were all chuds and terrible humans who seemed to do very little, many of which had sexually harassed employees. The most we got in terms of raises and incentives were "pizza parties," which were usually given before a dressing down of how we shouldn't let this go to our heads and should work harder. The people who worked at the company were usual awful and there was pretty much a Proud Boy contingent of the company, before it became a thing, because one of the office members would wear an "Infidel" Arabic characters hat when one of our editors was a Palestinian Muslim, although she didn't wear a hijab it was well known she was such. The company was eventually bought out by another company in another city 3 hours away, which seemed like a huge red flag, They assured us everything was fine, we even had a party so you know it's cool, but everyone immediately knew what was up. I was able to get a job soon after this and learned most my coworkers were laid off in two successions.

The general cycle for private investigation companies seems to be to get big enough to where someone buys you and fucks off because none of the companies care about maintaining anything.

EDIT:

I forgot to add right before they were sold, they promised us a big change and they leased this coffee machine that had ground coffee in hoppers. It had a digital display and you would chose your serving and everything, which was advanced for the time, but they acted like this was more acceptable than a raise when we were making well under a living income.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 17, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Testikles posted:

Once you reach a certain tier, you never really go below it. You either coast or fail upwards. I've seen people gently caress up royal and move to a new company in a higher role, and we all know that at the highest rungs of the ladder, if you suck hard enough they'll pay you handsomely to go away quickly.

It's an aristocracy. Entire industries exist at this point primarily to be daycare for failchildren. Many are thread material.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Tree Bucket posted:

It's an old school story-time GBS thread. Except we're all old now with decades of actual work experience so we don't have to make up stories to sound cool anymore. No reason to embellish a story that's already absurd, and we've all seen some absurd poo poo at this point.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
I had to have a conversation about people "changing the channel" during the "ad break" the other day.

I make tv broadcast on a national level by networks that have had both streaming and plus one hour /time delay options for nearly a decade.

I can't wait for this entire industry to collapse because it's run by geriatric morons.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kingo Ligma posted:

I had to have a conversation about people "changing the channel" during the "ad break" the other day.

What was the conclusion

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

The ads should be better, and louder

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I worked at a failing private investigator company as a copy editor

I find this strangely hilarious. How bad was it? I'm imagining reports written by the HOW IS BABBY FORMED cavemen

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Pekinduck posted:

I don't know if they're really failing but Burger King might fit in this thread. Maybe they've shaped up since I was in college but I remember you'd occasionally find one that was just a dump. Stained, collapsing ceiling tiles, battered furniture, cracked windows. I'd think: I've never seen a McDonalds in this condition, Burger King must be more lax with franchisees. If they're lax about this, what else don't they care about? Same energy as Sears/Kmart.

This is the way I feel about Hardees. Whenever I see a closed up building in an otherwise busy area, more often than not it's obviously a closed Hardees. I never see anyone in the parking lot / drive thru for ones that are still open, the food usually sucks (with the exception of their chicken tenders, which are somehow really good) with no consistency and they are extremely over priced. I don't get how they are still in business.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i mean its pretty hard to gently caress up chicken tenders, those are good just about everywhere

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Cyks posted:

This is the way I feel about Hardees.

Hardee's stories, even though I never worked there and rarely get food from there:

this part of my county has a weird labor paradox. it seems as though there'd be an unending supply of fast-food workers but the practical upshot is that anybody taking the job is going to be bad at it.

I've gone into my local Hardee's at night on two different occasions to find nobody in there, including employees. they're off in back, smoking or loving or both, and good for them.

went to get a biscuit one morning and the dude told me I'd have to wait. I said "no problem" and pulled up to the spot. I think he must've been new because when he brought out my biscuit he said, "hey, man, I threw an apple pie in the for being patient. 'preciate ya."

prior to that, for years the... manager, I think, but she was at the counter and cooking was an elderly lady with bad arthritis and a nervous demeanor who would gently caress up everything constantly.

a few years ago, the franchisee decided that he needed to emulate the homophobic chicken place. the one practical shakeout from that was not increased efficiency or better quality or scholarships or to be fair millions of dollars donated to conversion therapy, but that employees now said "my pleasure" when you said "thank you."

I eat there maybe three times a year at most there's just a lot going on there.

bonus story from the road:

I was just over the Kentucky border and thought "gently caress it, McDonald's fries and a Hardee's burger." there were about 10 people in the drive-thru at McDonald's. I was through in about 2 minutes.

there was nobody in line at Hardee's and a worn-looking woman at the window told me it'd be about 10 minutes, which gave me time to read the sign the franchisee had posted on the window, which read something like this:

"we're just as concerned as you are about the recent outbreak of hepatitis-A, and that's why every employee in this restaurant has been vaccinated against it."

this was... 2018, I think. the sign was somehow not reassuring, but my liver seems to be OK so far.

I know it's kind of cheating to tell customer-end stories but the place seems to be badly run overall. I hear that they'd just rebrand everything except that breakfast sales are incredibly good and they're worried about losing that.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

i work for the failing new york times

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Gresh posted:

i work for the failing new york times

Tell them to stop letting fascists write op-eds on the front page

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

MrQwerty posted:

Tell them to stop letting fascists write op-eds on the front page

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The hardees here is wildly inconsistent but when the breakfast biscuit is good it's so good that it's worth rolling the dice the rest of the time

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

my morning jackass posted:

GE basically went to poo poo because of additional businesses that became a drag on their core business, specifically their finance division. Someone can maybe correct me on that if it’s not true
A good (meaning capital generating) conglomerate needs to treat their geese laying golden eggs as not sacred but also not expendable. You're integrated to protect from market risks; you're diversified to give you options as the market changes present themselves. If you have a surfeit of golden eggs and you can't integrate them somewhere else into your business, don't panic and don't let anyone know. Do not eat the goose. Sell the goose. It will be good for you and the goose and everyone can move on as the goose is now in the tender loving embracing hands of the entire market instead of being your problem.

GE had a flock of geese for no real reason than it already had the geese and everybody expected them to have the geese. Getting rid of some geese really was a good thing. The geese they kept weren't maybe the smartest geese around but you can't win everything.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Meme Poker Party posted:

What was the conclusion

It's very important to make up some fake drama bullshit in the last ten seconds of each segment and then resolve it in the first ten seconds of the next, otherwise people will use the clicker to switch to the competition and not come back.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

RadioShack stopped stocking all the nerd poo poo and breadboard diy crap and started stocking all this poo poo you can literally just buy at Walmart so they lost their loyal customer base for a quick and dirty temporary revenue boost that ultimately tanked the company.
I don't care that this post is all the way from the first page, but it reminded me that I used to go to RadioShack to buy spare parts and Mini-Discs and stuff, and then one day they started disappearing and were replaced with RC robots and as-seen-on-TV-type poo poo. All the stuff that made RS unique was completely gone, and it was like a ghetto rear end version of Shaper Image combined with the lovely computer section of Walmart or some other department store. The workers would hound me (because they were required to), and I felt uncomfortable browsing.

I gave up on ever shopping there again after that, and only returned once to apply for a job when I was super desperate for work. Just to apply for the job required having to sit through a video that told me over and over how amazing I need to be with customers and how selling and upselling poo poo was the fundamental purpose of working at RadioShack. I saw the video as a warning, and I think that was the point of showing it before I was allowed to apply for the job. It felt like it was taunting me, like "are you man enough to put up with this kind of poo poo for minimum wage, you bitch? You absolutely scum. You're not brave enough to do it, meat sack." I filled out the application out of ego, and they never called me. I never visited another RS after that, and it was no surprise to me when they closed.

Wikipedia says:

quote:

In November 2020, Retail Ecommerce Ventures (REV), a holding company owned by Alex Mehr and his partner Tai Lopez, an investment influencer, acquired RadioShack.[9] RadioShack operates primarily as an e-commerce website, a network of independently owned, franchised RadioShack stores, and a supplier of parts for HobbyTown USA
Sounds about right.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Skeleton Ape posted:

I find this strangely hilarious. How bad was it? I'm imagining reports written by the HOW IS BABBY FORMED cavemen

It was often really bad because a lot of these guys barely had high school educations. While not all the private investigators were idiots, some were actually good at it and could write well, it was similar to how it is with reports in police departments. A good number of the PI's were guys who couldn't hack it or find jobs as cops too so that's not that surprising. You learn really quickly to move past their often bad writing because legally you can't really change it too much because it's an affidavit. You had to edit in correct terminology for things like race, such as Caucasian instead of white or African American instead of black. Some insurance companies also had formatting and templates they had to follow and you had to edit it in. You usually had to do around 10 at the least a day, sometimes more or less depending on the amount of cases, and edit the video in Adobe Premiere, which would usually take the most time. You often had to take screencaps of the subject and their residence too. If the video file was hosed up for any reason, it would still be under your account and that could be bad since you were only supposed to have so many cases open under your name but you had to still meet the quotas.

The easiest reports to do were wellness checks because it was just checking in on some elderly person who was collecting a pension or some other pay out from a company, making sure they're still alive and getting the money. There were a number of these though where the person was a hoarder, junk and/or cats, and you'd see details about the living space like, "barely able to move" or "reeks of urine." There were also insurance investigations done by a PI, where they go and take pictures, interview people for the claim, and there were sometimes funny ones like a strip club, where you obviously couldn't see poo poo because it's a strip club where everything is painted black.

I forgot to add that we were always given full reports on the subjects, which were full background checks with possible residences, phone numbers, employment info, and of course their social security numbers. You could very easily steal someone's identity with these but I never heard about anyone doing it. Any time you opened or moved a file was tracked, no outside usb devices, but you could have easily taken pictures with a phone camera, this was around 2015. The company would churn through people, it was often people didn't make it a week or two before they were arbitrarily fired for not "learning fast enough" or a "bad attitude", which was usually bullshit. I imagine it wouldn't have been hard for someone to get in, collect a bunch of info and then sell it before they got fired. Most the subjects usually weren't that wealthy looking, they were of course on disability too, and the general employee there wasn't really smart.

We also got hit by a cryptolocker program because a new girl, I think she was just out of college, opened an email attachment that was obviously a virus. They were kind of new back then and surprisingly she didn't get fired. She was pretty attractive so I imagine that played into it somewhat because a less attractive girl who worked there didn't make it three weeks and she didn't shutdown the whole company for several hours.

It was the type of place where they don't pay you enough to take time off without pay but you would jump on it if it meant getting out work early.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 17, 2022

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It was often really bad because a lot of these guys barely had high school educations. While not all the private investigators were idiots, some were actually good at it and could write well, it was similar to how it is with reports in police departments. A good number of the PI's were guys who couldn't hack it or find jobs as cops too so that's not that surprising. You learn really quickly to move past their often bad writing because legally you can't really change it too much because it's an affidavit. You had to edit in correct terminology for things like race, such as Caucasian instead of white or African American instead of black. Some insurance companies also had formatting and templates they had to follow and you had to edit it in. You usually had to do around 10 at the least a day, sometimes more or less depending on the amount of cases, and edit the video in Adobe Premiere, which would usually take the most time. You often had to take screencaps of the subject and their residence too. If the video file was hosed up for any reason, it would still be under your account and that could be bad since you were only supposed to have so many cases open under your name but you had to still meet the quotas.

The easiest reports to do were wellness checks because it was just checking in on some elderly person who was collecting a pension or some other pay out from a company, making sure they're still alive and getting the money. There were a number of these though where the person was a hoarder, junk and/or cats, and you'd see details about the living space like, "barely able to move" or "reeks of urine." There were also insurance investigations done by a PI, where they go and take pictures, interview people for the claim, and there were sometimes funny ones like a strip club, where you obviously couldn't see poo poo because it's a strip club where everything is painted black.

I forgot to add that we were always given full reports on the subjects, which were full background checks with possible residences, phone numbers, employment info, and of course their social security numbers. You could very easily steal someone's identity with these but I never heard about anyone doing it. Any time you opened or moved a file was tracked, no outside usb devices, but you could have easily taken pictures with a phone camera, this was around 2015. The company would churn through people, it was often people didn't make it a week or two before they were arbitrarily fired for not "learning fast enough" or a "bad attitude", which was usually bullshit. I imagine it wouldn't have been hard for someone to get in, collect a bunch of info and then sell it before they got fired. Most the subjects usually weren't that wealthy looking, they were of course on disability too, and the general employee there wasn't really smart.

We also got hit by a cryptolocker program because a new girl, I think she was just out of college, opened an email attachment that was obviously a virus. They were kind of new back then and surprisingly she didn't get fired. She was pretty attractive so I imagine that played into it somewhat because a less attractive girl who worked there didn't make it three weeks and she didn't shutdown the whole company for several hours.

It was the type of place where they don't pay you enough to take time off without pay but you would jump on it if it meant getting out work early.

PI stuff is interesting to me. Thanks for the stories!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

shame on an IGA posted:

The hardees here is wildly inconsistent but when the breakfast biscuit is good it's so good that it's worth rolling the dice the rest of the time

A personal theory on that: It's fast to make, fairly cheap to make, and easy to make. Staff don't have to deal with huge variety of options compared to their burger selection that pretty much has to be cooked to order. Given that pretty much all their burgers are more or less 'premium' that they can't make too much in advance and customers who will go "make it fresh", anyway. The breakfast menu is a real conveyor belt that once its going it's hard to screw up except when they fall behind. The only problem they have is running out of stuff right at the turn to the lunch menu.

They might as well get rid of their non-breakfast menu and go all-day breakfast.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I need to sit down and edit it out but I worked for a sub contractor for GE power and by god you guys really have no idea how bad it was when the CEO fight happened in 17 and it came out that the head of the power division had ordered billions worth of blades to be made in order to build this idea that ge power was in great shape so he could take over as CEO. Whole companies basically went tits up overnight because suddenly entire product lines were just gone, massively overproduced and they had literal years worth of blades collecting dust in the warehouse. The ge was going full tilt into 3d metal printing, spent billions buying machines to make small blades that weren't yet tested or had regulatory approval. I don't think they have yet gotten the 3d printing tech where they need it to match the casting quality. Mind you most blades are exotic alloys like iconel, which isn't something that they can deviate from easily.

So so much with that company. And the subcontractor I worked for went from being on a massive upswing with us literally signing a purchase order for 4 million dollars worth of new machines and prepping to buy out the warehouse and expand shifts, to a month later almost idle and largely all of us laid off, then 2 years later everything but hq closed and shuttered.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Welp we were supposed to be going to five eights a week, instead of a modified Pitman schedule of 12s. It's "been pushed back to August 1st. But also we're doing a round of lay offs."

Company is so boned.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

dr_rat posted:

From a lot of the people I've talked to who've done MBA's I pretty sure that's because the people running the courses know if too much math was involved their graduation rate would fall substantially.

I mean maybe there's good MBA courses out there... maybe.

This is literally something I run into when I advocate for higher math requirements for any course.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

UCS Hellmaker posted:

So so much with that company. And the subcontractor I worked for went from being on a massive upswing with us literally signing a purchase order for 4 million dollars worth of new machines and prepping to buy out the warehouse and expand shifts, to a month later almost idle and largely all of us laid off, then 2 years later everything but hq closed and shuttered.

I’ve worked almost exclusively at large companies and I love the loving whining about suppliers having us “over the barrel”. First of all we were the ones to sole source the material and refuse to invest in finding a second source. Secondly our profits are orders of magnitude larger and more diverse than these companies that live or die by single customers/PO’s and being paid on time. I’m not saying they don’t get their cut, but it’s all just endless bitching from Procurement and Program Manager people that don’t understand what the gently caress their job is and senior leadership whose job is literally (as you said) just make quarterly numbers look good.

It’s really hosed how little critical thinking and genuine analysis goes into running companies. Like someone said, MBAs have maybe two “math-heavy” courses because god forbid these loving morons have their complete lack of analytical thinking get exposed. Tooting my own horn, but I was valedictorian of my program and came from a Physics and Engineering background and beat out all these other bozos…gee I wonder why?

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 18, 2022

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

PITY BONER posted:

Wikipedia says:
In November 2020, Retail Ecommerce Ventures (REV), a holding company owned by Alex Mehr and his partner Tai Lopez, an investment influencer, acquired RadioShack.[9] RadioShack operates primarily as an e-commerce website, a network of independently owned, franchised RadioShack stores, and a supplier of parts for HobbyTown USA

lmao this tai lopez?

https://youtu.be/0GIwTG8V-Ko

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i thought this newest version of RadioShack was some kind of purely online grift like NFT's or some poo poo, i didnt realize they still had physical stores. i havent seen one in like five years. in fact i just did a check on google maps and every store in my area (LA) is listed as permanently closed.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Crazyweasel posted:

I’ve worked almost exclusively at large companies and I love the loving whining about suppliers having us “over the barrel”. First of all we were the ones to sole source the material and refuse to invest in finding a second source. Secondly our profits are orders of magnitude larger and more diverse than these companies that live or die by single customers/PO’s and being paid on time. I’m not saying they don’t get their cut, but it’s all just endless bitching from Procurement and Program Manager people that don’t understand what the gently caress their job is and senior leadership whose job is literally (as you said) just make quarterly numbers look good.

It’s really hosed how little critical thinking and genuine analysis goes into running companies. Like someone said, MBAs have maybe two “math-heavy” courses because god forbid these loving morons have their complete lack of analytical thinking get exposed. Tooting my own horn, but I was valedictorian of my program and came from a Physics and Engineering background and beat out all these other bozos…gee I wonder why?

Oh trust me. There was more then just ge issues that did the damage. The facility in Virginia was primarily working with Honeywell and there was a massive incident that ended up with honeywell literally putting an oversight man there because it turned out they had literally rented storage facilities they shoved tons of hosed up parts in and never informed head office or the client. All of which was uh, not ok in the slightest.

I should preface that we were a subcontractor that took in the castings that were done by either the client or another company, did the machining on them then sent them back, so nothing we did was with parts we made in house. This uh, meant that anything we hosed up on literally was not something we could just (or should) have handwaved.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I should preface that we were a subcontractor that took in the castings that were done by either the client or another company, did the machining on them then sent them back, so nothing we did was with parts we made in house.
Out of personal curiosity, a question no one else will probably care about — are the major casting houses basically still Howmet and PCC?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Out of personal curiosity, a question no one else will probably care about — are the major casting houses basically still Howmet and PCC?

I know pcc is basically one of the biggest. My area ccp and pcc were the two biggies, and then crt was another one that worked with other major airfoil companies. I don't know howmet so I can't tell you.

Pcc was doing terribly for a bit due to the GE blowup, but they always are desperate for help because the job is goddamn hard. Ccp was actually doing full time weekend shifts where you worked friday Saturday Sunday and got paid for 48 hours. Was great money I'd you could deal with the heat and work

Sidenote. My workplace was an old railroad repair depot that was converted. During the summer it was obscene, with the temperature easily over 20 degrees higher then ambient. Multiple times the only thing you could do was load a machine start it then run back to the door and let the wind cool you down. I can't imagine how the casting facilities were if it was that bad by me.

Oh yeah, worked with one guy that used to travel from south Carolina to northern Ohio when he was helping start the facility. Absolutely loving mental what people would put up with in this field. My shop foreman told me how he used to commute from Tampa Florida to northeast hour weekly for over a year. As in both drove that weekly :psyduck:

No they didn't have company cars.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I worked retail at KB Toys for a few years before it died, if that counts.

I don't really have any "fun" stories, but it was always clear how badly the store was doing compared to even Toys R Us, not to mention Target and Wal-Mart. All our inventory was "behind" in that we rarely had any of the current figure waves or new merchandise. Our store was usually pretty well-stocked, but that's because nobody wanted to buy any of the poo poo we were selling. The company also had debts to every video game company, so we never got any new inventory as a result. Just PS2/XBox/Gamecube era crap that were holdover inventory from god-knows-where. People would come in wondering if we had any PS3/XB360/Wii stuff and I'd have to tell them we are never getting any of that ever, so they'd go somewhere else and spend their money there. The usual scheduling was that there would be one employee and one manager in the store at any given time, because that's all that could be afforded most days.

Most people that worked there didn't give much of a poo poo. High school kids who didn't know any better, and jaded adults who were fed up. I was somewhere between that and probably cared about things way more than I should have, because that meant I worked harder than I probably should have. The manager on duty would spend most of the time in the backroom while the single employee was tasked with tending to the entire store by themselves. Unpacking, pricing, and shelving merchandise. Cleaning and organization. Helping customers. Register. Etc. All on one person's shoulders. And on the rare times there was more than one employee... it was still usually all on one person's shoulders. And that person was usually me. Because, again, nobody else really gave a poo poo. Also everyone else was friends with everyone else so they'd use the job as an excuse to hang out and then hang out after work and drink because the adults would buy for the underage kids.

This included managerial duties, like processing returns and price adjustments.The manager would give you their login credentials for the register system and disappear, and then it was just up to you to do certain tasks or make judgement calls. There were still some things you'd expect to turn to the manager to take care of, but they usually decided it wasn't worth it because the store was dying a slow death anyway. Someone stealing? Not worth it. Parents letting their kids open up toys and play with them? Not worth it. A very clearly drunk and disorderly grandmother driving around with a small child? Also apparently not worth it.

It sucked and I'm resentful of it, but the trade-off to them not giving a poo poo about anything also meant they didn't give a poo poo when I would be 5-10 minutes late or have to call out due to being sick. Which happened a lot. But when you're doing the same amount of work as 3-4 other people including acting as an assistant manager all on minimum wage at a failing store, that's someone you take advantage of.

They even started to train me for a management position proper which might not have been super-useful for KB Toys, but could have been useful in the future, and did show they either had a lot of faith in me or just wanted to cast off more responsibilities onto others. That all stopped abruptly though when those managers were suddenly gone and replaced with some corporate-style guy (presumably to turn the store around) who was apparently told many bad things about me by other employees and said to my face he didn't think I would last long.

Turns out he was right, because I ended up too sick to come in at all anymore. I later learned he was gone shortly after that, too. The store closed up later that year.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

dev286 posted:

PI stuff is interesting to me. Thanks for the stories!

As a scientist, calling them PIs is confusing, since that term is also used to mean "principal investigator". Call them what they are: gumshoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Whooping Crabs posted:

As a scientist, calling them PIs is confusing, since that term is also used to mean "principal investigator". Call them what they are: gumshoes.

They prefer the term private dick.