Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

modestopotamus posted:

Saw this one pretty recently, a detective is hired to investigate the murders of various girls that sold lottery tickets (in Europe I'm pretty sure). The movie sounds pretty mundane, but it turns out to be set in some sort of dystopia, the cities were all filled/made of junk. I can't really remember a lot of it, but it was in Comcast's OnDemand under the free movies section pretty recently, as in a month or two ago.

The Element of Crime
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087280/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modestopotamus
Aug 19, 2009

CHOICE COD posted:

The Element of Crime
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087280/

Absolutely correct. Thanks

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
I saw this horror movie that was made a few years ago, I think it was British. It was split up into three or four parts, with each part having a different tone. The first part was an intense thriller, the second was a bizarre comedy, and the last part was a romance or something dramatic like that. I remember it not being very good, and that others mostly felt that way too, but I can't remember the title of the movie. It may or may not have had zombies.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

Momonari kun posted:

I saw this horror movie that was made a few years ago, I think it was British. It was split up into three or four parts, with each part having a different tone. The first part was an intense thriller, the second was a bizarre comedy, and the last part was a romance or something dramatic like that. I remember it not being very good, and that others mostly felt that way too, but I can't remember the title of the movie. It may or may not have had zombies.

It's not British, but I'm drat sure you're talking about The Signal:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780607/

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

zombieman posted:

It's not British, but I'm drat sure you're talking about The Signal:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780607/

Yikes, that was fast. Thanks. I wonder why I thought it was British, though.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Postmaster General posted:

Alright, this is going to be super vague but I'll try my best: there was a tape I used to get a lot from the library that was this short movie with puppets. It definitely wasn't directly Muppets-related, but I guess it could have been a Jim Henson thing. I think I remember that the main character was a dragon or dinosaur, but that might be totally wrong. I think the title had the main character's name in it. Pretty sure a lot of it took place in a forest and he might have been looking for something in it? I also think I remember there was a talking fountain or wall covered in vines or something. And at one point he might have been in a cabin. Any of this could be completely wrong but hopefully there's enough in there to give someone even a slight idea.

e: Also I'm pretty sure there was singing.
e2: If I had to guess this would be like late 80s, maybe early early 90s.
e THREE: I keep thinking of Horton Hears a Who when I try to remember the name, so now I'm thinking its name might be similar to that. Like "(Character Name) Somethings a Something"

Blast. Except for the puppet/Muppet factor, I was almost sure you were talking about Pete's Dragon

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Captain Chestbeard posted:

Blast. Except for the puppet/Muppet factor, I was almost sure you were talking about Pete's Dragon

That song seems to have a subtext that I'm just not comfortable with between a small boy and an animated dragon

Action Andy
Feb 5, 2007

Out From Animals
What's the name of the film about car salesmen and how ruthless they are?

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
Used Cars?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Action Andy posted:

Slasher?

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

Action Andy posted:

The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Hello folks, just found this thread and hope it can answer a query I've had for years but no amount of Googling, Binging, Yahoo!ing or anything has helped. This memory is pretty vague but if anyone could help me out that'd be great.

I saw this movie in the UK about 0200 one morning sometime in the mid-90s, thinking back it seemed like it was probably a B-movie or TV movie. It's set some time in the future, late 21st Century maybe, everyone in the US has a "band" they have to wear on their heads to either suppress intelligence, or increase it, to a kinda average level, the general idea being to give everyone the same level of ability in everything and keep the population nice and submissive.

There's this one dude in school, about 17 or 18 years old, who keeps getting higher than average scores in his tests, despite wearing the band and despite his teachers' best efforts to get him to achieve averageness. Eventually, they realise that this "band" business isn't going to be able to do the job, and he gets secreted away to some government underground facility where people like him, those whose intelligence could not be suppressed by the "band", are given free reign to develop themselves without the hindrance of intelligence suppression.

I think he develops a relationship (probably forbidden) with one of the female smarty-pants there, and at some stage they rebel against the order in the facility and ultimately gets himself on TV and calls for everyone to "take off their bands" and allow themselves to be free of the tyranny of submission. There might have been a mention somewhere of a "Second American Revolution" but I'm not clear on this.

If anyone has the faintest notion of what the gently caress this is, I'd be forever in debt to you. Cheers.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.

Action Andy posted:

Repo Man?

Documentary, or something else?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

WattsvilleBlues posted:

There's this one dude in school, about 17 or 18 years old, who keeps getting higher than average scores in his tests, despite wearing the band and despite his teachers' best efforts to get him to achieve averageness. Eventually, they realise that this "band" business isn't going to be able to do the job, and he gets secreted away to some government underground facility where people like him, those whose intelligence could not be suppressed by the "band", are given free reign to develop themselves without the hindrance of intelligence suppression.
Harrison Bergeron

pud
Jul 9, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hello folks, just found this thread and hope it can answer a query I've had for years but no amount of Googling, Binging, Yahoo!ing or anything has helped. This memory is pretty vague but if anyone could help me out that'd be great.

I saw this movie in the UK about 0200 one morning sometime in the mid-90s, thinking back it seemed like it was probably a B-movie or TV movie. It's set some time in the future, late 21st Century maybe, everyone in the US has a "band" they have to wear on their heads to either suppress intelligence, or increase it, to a kinda average level, the general idea being to give everyone the same level of ability in everything and keep the population nice and submissive.

I think he develops a relationship (probably forbidden) with one of the female smarty-pants there, and at some stage they rebel against the order in the facility and ultimately gets himself on TV and calls for everyone to "take off their bands" and allow themselves to be free of the tyranny of submission. There might have been a mention somewhere of a "Second American Revolution" but I'm not clear on this.

If anyone has the faintest notion of what the gently caress this is, I'd be forever in debt to you. Cheers.

Sounds like an adaptation of Harrison Bergeron.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

pud posted:

Sounds like an adaptation of Harrison Bergeron.
Jesus gently caress I could kiss you!!!! I was trying to remember who played the main character, I had no idea it was the dude who played Samwise Gamgee! You have made my month, sir. A thousand "thank you"s!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Action Andy posted:

Suckers(1999) ?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0199054/

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Crosspost from A/T:

I'm trying to remember the name of a movie. It's set in some Antarctic research base and a bunch of university students fly out there as part of their courses. When they get there a couple of black trilobite/insect creatures start killing people one-by-one. Eventually the survivors have a face-off against a massive monster in a basement lab. What's unique about this film is that every time somebody dies, it shows a rapidly-flashing montage of scenes featuring that character, kinda like a "life flashing before my eyes" thing.

I seem to remember the title having something to do with cold in it - Deep Freeze or Cold Terror or some such.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Zero Star posted:

Crosspost from A/T:

I'm trying to remember the name of a movie. It's set in some Antarctic research base and a bunch of university students fly out there as part of their courses. When they get there a couple of black trilobite/insect creatures start killing people one-by-one. Eventually the survivors have a face-off against a massive monster in a basement lab. What's unique about this film is that every time somebody dies, it shows a rapidly-flashing montage of scenes featuring that character, kinda like a "life flashing before my eyes" thing.

I seem to remember the title having something to do with cold in it - Deep Freeze or Cold Terror or some such.
Is it The Thaw with Val Kilmer? Haven't seen the movie myself but your description rings a bell.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235448/

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Zero Star posted:

I'm gonna go with Deep Freeze.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272036/

I haven't even seen it, I just ran your titles.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
I'm trying to come up with the name of a sci-fi movie. I think it was Korean but it may have been Japanese. The only scene I remember is an airplane turning into a big robot. And I think this happened on an aircraft carrier.

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Hedenius posted:

I'm trying to come up with the name of a sci-fi movie. I think it was Korean but it may have been Japanese. The only scene I remember is an airplane turning into a big robot. And I think this happened on an aircraft carrier.

The Returner.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

pud posted:

The Returner.
That's it! Thanks.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm trying to find a movie in which an alien breaks free in a sort of area 51 complex in the desert. The alien moves through a sort of pupal stage and at the end breaks out of the building and the army is forced to nuke the entire area.

It ends with the main characters dying in the explosion, the alien reaching the outside world before being wiped off the planet with a nuclear bomb and a shot of the desert with a single egg in the sand.

It has to be some terrible B-movie, but I'd like to see it again.

I don't remember when I saw but I'm guessing 6 years ago on television.

Does no one know this one?

Action Andy
Feb 5, 2007

Out From Animals

Schweinhund posted:

Suckers(1999) ?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0199054/

thanks, this is what I was looking for! I'm surprised at the number of varied suggestions too.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
I generally have a pretty good memory when it comes to the billions of movies I've seen, but there are four that have bothered me forever - enduring mysteries that keep me awake at night. So lemme longpost about this poo poo.

First is a movie I saw as a kid, when chilling with a friend's family at a hotel on vacation. The older kids in the group I guess had rented this movie, and I came in late. The only scene I saw was where this group of kids were walking on a train track and one of them got their foot stuck in between the rails when the switch moved, or some poo poo, and couldn't get out while his friends yelled and watched helplessly. I don't remember if he got run over or what, but that scene stuck with me forever, I guess because at the time I thought it was pretty hosed up that a kid not much older than me was gonna get run over by something as hardcore as a train. Up until that point, the most "violent" concepts I'd seen on film were stuff like Indiana Jones.

Second is a movie that I for years assumed to be animation from Japan, but I saw it way before anime really caught on - maybe 10 or 15 years ago - so it could have been from anywhere. To the best of my recollection, it has minimal or no dialogue, and features a boy on a motor-scooter hurrying away in a panic as the city around him turns into walking, wiry, robots with lots of exposed girders and turning cogs and poo poo.

The third movie I haven't actually seen, except in the form of an animated gif that sometimes crops up around here, featuring a chick fiddling with a Hellraiser-like puzzle box. Suddenly, lightning flashes in the window behind her, and some wiggly-faced Jacobs Ladder demon appears in the window and screams, maybe exploding the glass. I think somebody said it was from a movie called "The Puzzle", but I've never found any movie by that name that sounds like it would feature such a scene. It's also not any Hellraiser movie.

Fourth is a long shot, as I only remember a very brief moment from it. I saw it on the bus during a high school senior trip to D.C., so it would have been like, 2002-ish though the movie could have been a bit older. It had a scene about some sort of heist (I think), and this one possibly raver/punk guy starts, like, fuckin' breakdancing and spinning around on the floor while also shooting at the guards or whatever. I remember it having a flashy aesthetic and just being absurd, and at least one overhead shot of this guy breakdancing and shooting in slow-mo as if it were some seriously cool moment.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mung Dynasty posted:

First is a movie I saw as a kid, when chilling with a friend's family at a hotel on vacation. The older kids in the group I guess had rented this movie, and I came in late. The only scene I saw was where this group of kids were walking on a train track and one of them got their foot stuck in between the rails when the switch moved, or some poo poo, and couldn't get out while his friends yelled and watched helplessly. I don't remember if he got run over or what, but that scene stuck with me forever, I guess because at the time I thought it was pretty hosed up that a kid not much older than me was gonna get run over by something as hardcore as a train. Up until that point, the most "violent" concepts I'd seen on film were stuff like Indiana Jones.

I'm tempted to say Pink Floyd: The Wall but I'm pretty sure I remember a scene much closer to what you describe. I'll try to come up with it.

EDIT: some Googling comes up with Fried Green Tomatoes, which couldn't be the movie I'm thinking of, but might be yours

Mung Dynasty posted:

Fourth is a long shot, as I only remember a very brief moment from it. I saw it on the bus during a high school senior trip to D.C., so it would have been like, 2002-ish though the movie could have been a bit older. It had a scene about some sort of heist (I think), and this one possibly raver/punk guy starts, like, fuckin' breakdancing and spinning around on the floor while also shooting at the guards or whatever. I remember it having a flashy aesthetic and just being absurd, and at least one overhead shot of this guy breakdancing and shooting in slow-mo as if it were some seriously cool moment.

Maybe the opening scene of La Femme Nikita?

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

Mung Dynasty posted:

It had a scene about some sort of heist (I think), and this one possibly raver/punk guy starts, like, fuckin' breakdancing and spinning around on the floor while also shooting at the guards or whatever.

Sounds kind of like the beginning of The Big Hit.

2xSlick
Feb 9, 2010

Mung Dynasty posted:

I generally have a pretty good memory when it comes to the billions of movies I've seen, but there are four that have bothered me forever - enduring mysteries that keep me awake at night. So lemme longpost about this poo poo.

There are only two choices when it comes to train scenes.
Fried Green Tomatoes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTW9QRSqVho#t=02m33s

Or Stand by Me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYUG8elGsMM

caligula timewarp
Feb 10, 2009

I saw this on television about a year ago. It's a black and white film that seemed to be some sort of comedy. A guy moves into a strange house, and people are always coming over and knocking on his front door and windows and bugging him or something.
There's also a scene in the movie where the guy, his love interest, and his friend take a bed on wheels for a joyride around the city. While I was watching it I assumed it was filmed in England, I'm pretty sure everyone had English accents.
This has plagued me for awhile, any ideas?

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Holy poo poo, you guys nailed it. The Big Hit and Fried Green Tomatoes were the ones. Now to figure out the other two, and I can be at peace.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I saw this trailer a while ago, this found footage horror movie. This guy finds out he's dying of cancer so he records his last months but accidentally also captures footage of g-g-g-ghostsssssss. Anybody?

pud
Jul 9, 2001

penismightier posted:

I saw this trailer a while ago, this found footage horror movie. This guy finds out he's dying of cancer so he records his last months but accidentally also captures footage of g-g-g-ghostsssssss. Anybody?

In Memorium http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0491777/. As far as I know it still doesn't even have a dvd release, though. Not that I'd ever even dream of pirating a film, but as of a few months ago it hasn't even leaked to the internet, and I've been wanting to see it.

2xSlick
Feb 9, 2010
I saw a (possibly made-for-tv) horror movie on USA in the mid 90's. The film looked to be from the 90's or late 80's. I think it was an office slasher. All I saw was the ending. Final Girl and Nerd Guy are staring at each other and laughing it up after supposedly killing the bad guy. The Nerd is staring toward the camera when the elevator right behind him opens, the killer pops out and buries a fire axe in the Nerd's back. I don't remember how Final Girl beat him, but the next scene has her in the Nerd's hospital room. He should have a bandage over his chest but I think he just has one over his head that makes him look goofy, but I could just be confusing the face bandage with Platoon Leader.

What I am sure of is that Nerd is lying in his hospital bed while Final Girl holds his hand and they laugh it up because hatchet wounds are hilarious. The camera then cuts to the hallway outside the hospital room. The camera is focused on the room's door and we can see a guard sitting in a chair to the left ( I think he's reading a newspaper). For the rest of the movie, the camera holds this shot. Then a person just walks up to the door and enters. The door closes behind him and we hear screams coming from inside the room. Guard rushes in, door closes behind him and we hear gunshots and more screams. The camera hasn't moved from out of the hallway. Cut to credits.

I might have messed some of the details up but I am positive that there is a closeup shot of the Nerd laughing to the camera while the villain axes him from behind and the final scene being a shot of the hospital door from the hall while the heroes are killed off screen.

This isn't that one Friday the 13th where Tommy ends up at the hospital, becomes Jason, and kills the Final Girl.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

caligula timewarp posted:

I saw this on television about a year ago. It's a black and white film that seemed to be some sort of comedy. A guy moves into a strange house, and people are always coming over and knocking on his front door and windows and bugging him or something.
There's also a scene in the movie where the guy, his love interest, and his friend take a bed on wheels for a joyride around the city. While I was watching it I assumed it was filmed in England, I'm pretty sure everyone had English accents.
This has plagued me for awhile, any ideas?

Any idea when this was made? For some reason I think that people were knocking on his door because the house he lived in used to be a brothel?

Action Andy
Feb 5, 2007

Out From Animals

Mung Dynasty posted:

Second is a movie that I for years assumed to be animation from Japan, but I saw it way before anime really caught on - maybe 10 or 15 years ago - so it could have been from anywhere. To the best of my recollection, it has minimal or no dialogue, and features a boy on a motor-scooter hurrying away in a panic as the city around him turns into walking, wiry, robots with lots of exposed girders and turning cogs and poo poo.

are you sure this isn't Akira?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094625/

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
A 90s kids movie about a boy who falls into some type of sewer/pool thing, because he was dared to walk across a thin rail above it. He's transported to a different world, where there are these kangaroo/human hybrid things, who have elemental powers and use martial arts and stuff. I think each one had a different element for their power.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

the Bunt posted:

A 90s kids movie about a boy who falls into some type of sewer/pool thing, because he was dared to walk across a thin rail above it. He's transported to a different world, where there are these kangaroo/human hybrid things, who have elemental powers and use martial arts and stuff. I think each one had a different element for their power.

This has been handled in the thread before, it's called Warriors of Virtue. It's pretty much the 'that movie' for anyone 20-25 years old.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Oh God, good to know I'm not alone because I haven't heard/seen ANYTHING about it in at least ten years and I was starting to think I dreamt it up.

looks sooo cheesy, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
This one has been killing me for awhile.

I'm pretty sure it was an 80's horror movie about a small town. This kid lived on a farm outside town and started noticing people acting weird. So he investigates and finds these giant brown monsters are taking everyone underground where they have some sort of a brain in a jar that is erasing their memories. They had a giant underground lab and the brain reminded me of a movie version of Krang from TMNT.I think one of his female teachers believes and goes down with him. He sees his family get brainwashed and tries to escape, only to get captured. He's about to get brainwashed but he wakes up. His parents come into his room to see if he's ok and then one of the brown monsters barges in and takes them away.