Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Blinken posted:

I saw my first Victory Vision in real life a couple days ago. The guy who was riding it was so fat it looked like two really chubby guys sharing a helmet at first.

I ended up getting a hand-me-down Fieldsheer Aqua Sport Jacket from my brother so I'm much closer to being properly geared up now. The only thing that's missing is boots. I'm riding a Honda Elite scooter with the rear brake on the floorboards, which makes it pretty awkward to use with boots that come up over the ankle. Am I taking a big risk not wearing proper footwear or is it something I shouldn't really be worrying about?
You should most definitely be concerned about it. I think proper footwear is the second most commonly overlooked piece of gear (first being pants) but it's important as gently caress. Not only for ankle protection, but most people forget that regular shoes also provide no heel protection. Shattered heels are not fun. The one thing you'll never see me on two wheels without is a pair of some sort of boots. I've just grown too accustomed to walking to risk my ankles and heels.

If you can afford them, I preach the SMX-2's all day long for everyday boots. They're fairly low-profile/conservative, have significant ankle and heel protection, and are actually comfy as gently caress. I'll occasionally even wear them when I'm not riding just to see how many random people off the street stop me and ask what bike I ride. My record so far is 4 in a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Here's a real challenge for you Gear Gurus...

I work at Denver International Airport - in the Sterile (Post-Passenger-Screening) area. I'd love to find boots that would be reasonably protective on the bike, be "all day wearable", not look all Power Ranger (c.f. 'all day wearable' with dockers or jeans), and not have a significant amount of metal in them, so I don't have to take them off to go through security in the morning.

I've had over-the-ankle 'airport-friendly' hiking boots in the past, so I know it's at least in the realm of possibility that there's a boot out there that relies on both cows and The Modern Miracle Of Plastics to provide the appropriate level of stiffness and protection, but whether any company has gone that route is an unknown quantity.

There's something like this, but how protective that would be on the bike is the unknown quantity.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 23, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jabs posted:

Here's a real challenge for you Gear Gurus...

I work at Denver International Airport - in the Sterile (Post-Passenger-Screening) area. I'd love to find boots that would be reasonably protective on the bike, be "all day wearable", not look all Power Ranger (c.f. 'all day wearable' with dockers or jeans), and not have a significant amount of metal in them, so I don't have to take them off to go through security in the morning.

I've had over-the-ankle 'airport-friendly' hiking boots in the past, so I know it's at least in the realm of possibility that there's a boot out there that relies on both cows and The Modern Miracle Of Plastics to provide the appropriate level of stiffness and protection, but whether any company has gone that route is an unknown quantity.

There's something like this, but how protective that would be on the bike is the unknown quantity.

Daytona Evo Sports don't have a significant amount of metal in them, all day wearable.

I've never used the Daytona Road Stars but they're probably pretty nice.

Daytona stuff is expensive though.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

Somebody was telling me today about some riding gloves they had seen that had a squeegee built into the glove for wiping rain water off your visor. Any idea if these exist, and who makes them?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
They do exist, I believe helimot gloves have them. I'm positive other manufacturers do, but I can't remember any at all right now.

edit: Looks like firstgear and held have them also. I believe you'll find them on most gloves intended for dodgy weather. You can also buy them seperate http://www.getgeared.co.uk/Glove_Rain_Wiper

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 23, 2010

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Or you can just add then onto your existing gloves:
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-veewipe-squeegee.html

e:f;b

oh hey, $1.76 option: http://www.helmetsforless.com/finger-squeegee

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 23, 2010

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I didn't have very good luck with the ones you add on to existing gloves. I don't recall what brand they were but they fell off easily. YMMV

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

The built in ones only seem to be available on winter gloves, which I don't really need. The finger squeegees are pretty cheap. No loss if they don't work out.
Anybody ever tried Rainex on their visor?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Rain-X isn't meant for plastics, it'll kind of erode the shield and give you a nice perma-fogged view. It also makes the shield brittle, so it wouldn't do much in a crash. 303 protectant is plastics safe and supposedly works very well.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

Sweet, thanks!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
For what it's worth, HJC says RainX is fine on their visors, except the mirrored ones.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

For what it's worth, HJC says RainX is fine on their visors, except the mirrored ones.

Huh, well, I stand corrected. I guess different companies apply different compounds to their visors.

elsanto posted:

Sweet, thanks!

No problem :)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

AncientTV posted:

Rain-X isn't meant for plastics, it'll kind of erode the shield and give you a nice perma-fogged view. It also makes the shield brittle, so it wouldn't do much in a crash. 303 protectant is plastics safe and supposedly works very well.

Only some plastics don't interact well with it but most are fine. To be sure, put some on the side with the locking mechanism and see if it does anything loopy. :)

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
How well do the grunge brushes work for cleaning your chain? They worth picking up?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chai...=item35a6e8fcf3

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I never cared for them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I just use gear oil. Sure, it flings off, but it keeps the chain clean and there's no need to clean the old crappy buildup off before you lube the chain.

And it stops my swingarm from rusting (chain side only).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Trying to decide on some boots, either the Tour Master Responce SC for $108 or the aforementioned Joe Rocket Orbit for $99. I'm leaning to the Tour Masters based on the comment that they seem to be a bit "more heavy duty," and the waterproofing is a bonus, though I usually try to not ride in the rain. Anyone with TM boot experience?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Chris Knight posted:

Trying to decide on some boots, either the Tour Master Responce SC for $108 or the aforementioned Joe Rocket Orbit for $99. I'm leaning to the Tour Masters based on the comment that they seem to be a bit "more heavy duty," and the waterproofing is a bonus, though I usually try to not ride in the rain. Anyone with TM boot experience?

Are you against sportier/up the leg boots?

I recently tried out my AlpineStars S-MX5 waterproof boots and they are fantastic. Very comfortable, very protective and warm in 2 degrees celsius with wool socks.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Eh, the sportier ones don't really go with my bike or general style, and more importantly (at this point anyway) cost at least twice as much. At the moment I wear Docs or my heavy winter boots. :)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Whiteboy posted:

How well do the grunge brushes work for cleaning your chain? They worth picking up?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chai...=item35a6e8fcf3

Counter-argument: I like mine. That and some kerosene gets my chain all shiny.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Uthor posted:

Counter-argument: I like mine. That and some kerosene gets my chain all shiny.

I just got one a couple of weeks ago. It's stupid simple to use and worked great!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Requesting tips for mesh pants that work in warm weather and look good with this jacket:

and also boots or shoes that are cool in warm weather but are accepted by the forum safety nazis.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Not sure on boots, but as for pants, Olympia Airglide 2. Available in black or grey, knee and hip pads, and come with a liner that makes them good down to ~40 degrees. Without the liner, they flow SO MUCH AIR that it's like riding naked.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Got a 10% off coupon to NewEnough good until the 14th. I'm not buying any more gear any time soon due to property-purchase-inflicted poverty, so first come first served

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Hit me at VROO if you don't mind! Need a new set of gloves, cheapy icons are junk.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 24, 2010

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Hit me at [email="sir.gatoman AT gmail.com"][/email] if you don't mind! Need a new set of gloves, cheapy icons are junk.

Sent. PS I'd edit that to unparse your email addy unless you like spam

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

redscare posted:

Sent. PS I'd edit that to unparse your email addy unless you like spam

Thanks for the tip, and coupon! Just need to pick a good pair of gloves with some knuckle protection that aren't going to roast my hands now..

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
I need some help with a decision. I'm really attracted to the BMW City Pants style - looks just like street pants.

Click here for the full 600x801 image.

The problem is that they're a cotton/cordura blend, with somewhere between 25% and 50% cordura. The manufacturer says 50%, but others say 25%. I just don't know how well they'd perform in a crash, and that makes me feel uneasy. Are there better pants that look like street pants and offer greater protection? Am I overthinking it?

GlazedMcGuffin fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 24, 2010

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004

Ola posted:

Requesting tips for mesh pants that work in warm weather and look good with this jacket:

I just got a pair of Motoport kevlar mesh pants that are pretty nice. They're custom made so you can get them in about any color. I haven't gotten to do anything more than wear them around the house due to an extra 4 inches of snow we got this morning but they feel pretty good. Better than anything off the rack fit wise. I can post some pictures and comments later if anyone's interested. They were a little spendy, but the safety Nazis speak very highly of them.

http://motoport.com/_product_35442/Air_Mesh_Kevlar_Pant are the particular pants.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Woop, was just gifted a nice pair of fieldsheer gloves! Feel free to offer that 10% off to someone else.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks for the pants tips. They were both a little spendy, but given my testicle situation last summer I think I shouldn't skimp. But I'm not heading to southern Europe this year and the snow will probably not melt until July...

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
What's the consensus on Kevlar lined jeans? Specifically these ones- http://joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/237/433/Pants/Rocket_Jeans

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Whiteboy posted:

What's the consensus on Kevlar lined jeans? Specifically these ones- http://joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/237/433/Pants/Rocket_Jeans

They're better than non-riding pants, but the general consensus is that they aren't very robust. There's a chart of abrasion strength that someone posted a few pages back, and riding jeans are second worst only to regular jeans.

edit: I lied, that chart wasn't posted in this thread it seems; I'll see if I can track it down.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 25, 2010

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Whiteboy posted:

The consensus is generally that they'll keep you good around in-town speeds, but if they don't have armor in the knees it's only a slight, slight upgrade from regular jeans. I'll be honest though, they're pretty bulky because of the armor and they're cut long so they don't ride up while you're in riding position, which can be annoying. I wore mine for a couple months until I got tired of wearing the same (ugly) jeans to class and work every. single. day. Nowadays I just ride with Icon Field Armor Kneepads and regular jeans. Those knee guards are the only Icon product I'll ever buy or endorse, but they are seriously the poo poo. I wear pretty skinny jeans and they're almost impossible to see and they don't restrict your movement.

Realistically, the jeans just weren't doing it for me. If you'd rather not have the bulk of overpants and don't want to deal with knee guards AND you know that you're going to actually wear them consistently, go for it. Otherwise I wouldn't waste the money.

fake edit: side note, but newenough changed their layout?! i like it.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I got 2 pairs of Red Route riding jeans. One pair has knee armor, the other doesn't. Both have kevlar in the knees. Honestly I don't think the knee armor would stay in place on the pair that has it if I were to wreck. I usually never wear them unless I know I'm going on a long, all day ride. Oh and I've been down and have two spots where I had a good amount of abrasion on both my knees and would have much preferred that I wore something more protective than regular jeans.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Tsaven ratted me out.

I got this suit becuase it fit... mostly. It's made by a company called 6th gear. I saw one of their other suits post crash. I'm pretty confident in this suits quality.

Front

Back

You've seen my road boots before. They're a few years old now. The teknic gloves i picked up at motogp, they're 'roo palm. So are the fieldsheer gloves. I got the gloves and helmet this weekend too.

No, I don't like blue.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Honestly I don't think the knee armor would stay in place on the pair that has it if I were to wreck.

I had a mesh outfit that felt exactly like this, the armor would flop around and never seemed to be in place. Then I crashed at 80mph and both knee and elbow pads had the wear right on them and saved me from everything except a little lost skin. :confused:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nerobro you are going to look glorious.

Color coordinated Zukes represent. :gay:

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Nerobro posted:

No, I don't like blue.

Blue is the best color. Do you have the matching base layer too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Wanted to say I just picked up an AGV GP Tech and it's the nicest helmet I've ever owned. (I used to own a Shoei X-11 and 2 Arai RX-7s)

The fit and finish is second to none. Definitely go try one on if you have a chance.

Also, it looks bad rear end with black on black.