Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Wow you just made my day. I tried to do the crochet thing (apparently I thought crocheting was harder than it is), but it wasn't working for me, and I finally gave up in disgust last night. Now I can just do it this way. Thanks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Finished my first project - a watch cap. Made with Red Heart Super Saver in Camoflauge. I think I did okay for not knowing how to knit just 5 days ago...

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

rear end Crackers! posted:

Wow you just made my day. I tried to do the crochet thing (apparently I thought crocheting was harder than it is), but it wasn't working for me, and I finally gave up in disgust last night. Now I can just do it this way. Thanks!!

No problem, I just started my first shawl (percy scarf on ravelry) so I know exactly what you're going through.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

popgenie posted:

Finished my first project - a watch cap. Made with Red Heart Super Saver in Camoflauge. I think I did okay for not knowing how to knit just 5 days ago...

holy cow, your first project WAS ROUND! That's impressive. I saw the pic of it being worn in the hooker thread it's so :3: Welcome to the 2 stick side!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Here's my first finished non-dishcloth project (I've got a couple other things half-or-more done that I dropped to push this hat out). It's a very very plain roll-brim hat for my stepmother who's on chemo. I was a bit worried about it coming out a bit too short, and frankly it wouldn't fit around if she had hair but as it stands it came out beautifully and she loves it.

This took about twice as long as it ought to have, because I had to stop every round or so just to feel the yarn. It's Classice Elite's Fresco, which is a wool/baby alpaca/angora blend, and it is the best feeling thing ever. I don't think I'd do this hat in sport weight again, though. :gonk:

I really kind of hosed up the top though... turned out it was a bad time to try to learn dpns when I was already kind of groking pulling cable out to magic loop it. Still, with a very large amount of weaving-in ends, I managed to cover up the giant gaping holes.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I need a super easy pattern for large gloves.

Doesn't matter what it looks like, as long as it's hand shaped.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

neongrey posted:

Still, with a very large amount of weaving-in ends, I managed to cover up the giant gaping holes.

Welcome to my knitting world!

Sounds like a learning experience, but always keep in mind that you'll sweat the details of every project while the recipient is usually quite thrilled to get neat handmade stuff. ;) She loves it so that's all that matters!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, I'm not too worried, the only reason you know from looking that I cocked it up so bad is if you're minutely looking at the stitching at the very top and she's not. At least now I know to stick to circs until/unless I can get someone to walk me through dpns in person.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

zamiel posted:

holy cow, your first project WAS ROUND! That's impressive. I saw the pic of it being worn in the hooker thread it's so :3: Welcome to the 2 stick side!

Thanks! Don't be too impressed, I made it flat and seamed the edges together. Came out great, though - plenty warm and fits really well. I'll be making several more in various colors and rib patterns in the near future.

knitta please
Feb 18, 2011

Climbing down the hours I need to know now:
Do the hands of time only rule this chapter?

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

And I finished the second preying mantis for my nephew (this one has spikes on, as requested):

Ahh! This is adorable! I have seen a lot of knit animals and toys but this has to be one of my favourites. Your nephew is a lucky kid.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Finally finished all of my stupid knits for the holidays. I started a baby sweater to be finished in september, just finished it today.

Ali's Sweater by pvtsprout, on Flickr
(luckily I made it too big on purpose so it would still fit her)

Finished my Mom's annual birthday sweater in february (her birthday is in January)

CIMG0084 by pvtsprout, on Flickr

And did a mohair lace scarf for my sister, even though it threw my mom's sweater off by a couple of weeks.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

My tips to someone starting out with circular needles: try a smaller circle first (not 80cm), perhaps larger than 3.25mm and don't use yarn so hairy (like the mohair/wool mix I got second-hand) that it velcros to itself and won't unravel if you get it wrong.

Still, I shall keep going until I run out of at least the ball I'm using. I'm sure there's something I can do with a circle of knitting. And I also have double-pointed needles now, so that's something to try at some point. We learn from our mistakes, after all.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
I need a project for my dad. He did a bunch of work on my car and jokingly said I should knit him something rather than pay him back. I would actually like to make him something though. The problem is he's a big guy, and is never cold so I have no idea what to make him. He doesn't need socks, gloves, mittens, hats, or a sweater. That's really all I can think of, so if anyone has any ideas, please share!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

I need a project for my dad. He did a bunch of work on my car and jokingly said I should knit him something rather than pay him back. I would actually like to make him something though. The problem is he's a big guy, and is never cold so I have no idea what to make him. He doesn't need socks, gloves, mittens, hats, or a sweater. That's really all I can think of, so if anyone has any ideas, please share!

Felted belt. Toiletries bag. Knitted pet rock. A tie. Beer bottle cozy, to keep the cold in while he's knocking one back. If he's at all organizy, you could do a few felted boxes or bowls for him to keep poo poo in. My husband was all pissy about me knitting washcloths because "wtf, we already HAVE washcloths" but now I notice I haven't washed a storebought washcloth in months - he likes the way the handmade ones feel.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Last night I started shaping the crown of my fiance's hat. It was so frustrating, the project just didn't really fit on the 3 dpns I was supposed to use, and so it kept slipping off at the edges. I've never had to recover that many lost stitches before, I guess it was a useful exercise in that way...

Anyways, I'm sure it's going to be terrible since I'm having trouble keeping track of which stitch is supposed to be on which needle, as they just won't stay in place. This sucks.

Maybe I could just start the decreasing process on the circular needle, then move to the dpns when I have fewer stitches? It was originally a 96st hat, but I made the 112st version since my fiance has a massive, massive head. That brought it from 32st/needle to 37-38/needle.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
You could try jamming pencil erasers onto the ends of the needles that you're not using right at that second to keep the stitches on. Might be kind of a pain having to take them off every time you switch needles but it could be easier than picking up lost stitches. Depends on preference.

I hate that feeling of too many stitches on a needle. I was making a sweater for myself earlier this year and it was really making my wrists hurt which kinda scared me (I play piano and also really need my hands for my job so it would be A Bad Thing if I gave myself carpal tunnel from knitting) and when I finally got it off the needles I realized it was like twice as wide as the needle was long.

Duh.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

dopaMEAN posted:

Last night I started shaping the crown of my fiance's hat. It was so frustrating, the project just didn't really fit on the 3 dpns I was supposed to use, and so it kept slipping off at the edges. I've never had to recover that many lost stitches before, I guess it was a useful exercise in that way...

Anyways, I'm sure it's going to be terrible since I'm having trouble keeping track of which stitch is supposed to be on which needle, as they just won't stay in place. This sucks.

Maybe I could just start the decreasing process on the circular needle, then move to the dpns when I have fewer stitches? It was originally a 96st hat, but I made the 112st version since my fiance has a massive, massive head. That brought it from 32st/needle to 37-38/needle.

Definitely try the decrease on the circular first method, it will save you a lot of that frustration. It has for me at least, and made hats a small, fun project. I usually just decrease until its too small to fit on the circs any more, then slip the stitches to the DPNs.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Does he cook on a grill? Maybe a BBQ mitt would be suitable. Golfer? Make a club head cover for his prized driver. Does he like keeping his car clean? Make a cotton duster. Everyone's got something they're passionate about; just gotta pick his interests and accessorize.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

You could find some more sturdy yarn and make a belt, perhaps. There's a pattern here for one made of hemp, for example (just an example).

Anyway, I think I may finally have the hang of the long tail cast-on after looking at the current featured video at KnittingHelp.com. The woman from the video does it without making a slip knot, but I can't seem to make it work that way. Still, it does seem faster than the two-needle cast-on I had been using, so good job me :v:

I have abandoned the hairy yarn as a lost cause, as far as knitting goes. It was probably very old and I don't think that helps, especially with natural fibres (well, and 5% nylon, but anyway). I'm keeping it around for stuffing, though - in case I make something cuddly.

Sammich P.I.
Aug 23, 2004

dopaMEAN posted:

Honestly a simple suggestion to too many stitches on a dpn is to simply add another dpn. I find it easier to work in the round on 4 dpn as opposed to 3 anyways.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
On the subject of double-points, I have vowed to never knit on metal dpns again, as they're just too heavy and slippery for my knitting style. If some poor goon is in need of metal needles, I'm happy to send them out. I have a set of four #2 (2.75mm) silver, a set of 4 #3 silver, and a set of four #8 blue needles.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Got some chroma and a set of knitpicks nickel-plated interchangables coming. :dance:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

guaranteed posted:

On the subject of double-points, I have vowed to never knit on metal dpns again, as they're just too heavy and slippery for my knitting style. If some poor goon is in need of metal needles, I'm happy to send them out. I have a set of four #2 (2.75mm) silver, a set of 4 #3 silver, and a set of four #8 blue needles.

Try them after you've knit on double points for a while. You'll find you've got a little more control because your hands are used to it, or at least I have. Are they silvalumes (Susan Bates)? Those are slicker than ice, which doesn't help; Inox/Prym tend to be a little more grabby. And the Susan Bates 2mm (US0s) are a gift from heaven, and my favourite double point. Whatever paint they used makes it a bit catchier and not slick at all really.

I'd take all of them, but I don't use sets of 4, I find it uncomfortable on my hands. :(

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Sammich P.I. posted:

Honestly a simple suggestion to too many stitches on a dpn is to simply add another dpn. I find it easier to work in the round on 4 dpn as opposed to 3 anyways.

I only own 4 dpns and as far as I could tell I had to knit with the 4th, empty, one. It probably doesn't help that I didn't bother to look up how to knit on dpns, I figured it'd be intuitive.

I'm almost at the point where I need to transfer back to dpns, I made quite a lot of progress once I decided to unpick the mess from the dpns and reduce it on the circular! Still debating just doing the magic loop thing all the way through. Is there any big reason that I shouldn't? Will it mess up the hat?
Right now I haven't transitioned to magic loop at all, my stitches are just a bit taut.

guaranteed posted:

How much would you want to get for them?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

dopaMEAN posted:

I'm almost at the point where I need to transfer back to dpns, I made quite a lot of progress once I decided to unpick the mess from the dpns and reduce it on the circular! Still debating just doing the magic loop thing all the way through. Is there any big reason that I shouldn't? Will it mess up the hat?
Right now I haven't transitioned to magic loop at all, my stitches are just a bit taut.

You could try out doing magic loop, and if you realize you don't care for it, then go to the DPN's. If you do like it, then you really didn't need the DPNs. I find those last few rounds and how flexible your cable really is the deciding factor for me.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.

FelicityGS posted:

Try them after you've knit on double points for a while. You'll find you've got a little more control because your hands are used to it, or at least I have. Are they silvalumes (Susan Bates)? Those are slicker than ice, which doesn't help; Inox/Prym tend to be a little more grabby. And the Susan Bates 2mm (US0s) are a gift from heaven, and my favourite double point. Whatever paint they used makes it a bit catchier and not slick at all really.

I'm not sure anymore, but I believe all three sets are Boyes; they might be Susan Bates, though. I got them all at Joanns when I was just getting back into knitting and hadn't even tried bamboo.

I've been working on bamboo and birch dpns for quite a while now, and I don't have trouble with them at all. I was just looking at them all last night and realized that if I needed another set of #8s right now, I'd go to Joann's and buy some before I'd use the metal. Just not my thing.

I just got a set of 00 carbon fibers for my birthday, and they're amazing. They flex less than my 0 wooden ones. Now I need to find a project for them ...

dopaMEAN posted:

How much would you want to get for them?

They're free to good home(s), I'd just like to think that maybe someone who can't afford to go crazy buying needles can make better use of them than I will.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Annnnnd my yarn from Instant Jellyfish just came in today and it is as yummy as 455 yards of fingering-weight chocolate-brown merino/alpaca yarn could possibly be! :neckbeard:

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Oh man, the hat is awful!

My fiance and I both have MASSIVE heads. Neither of us can usually fit into hats sold in stores and hats always pin our ears to our head. Not this hat. No sir. In fact, this may be the largest hat I've ever seen. It would be fit for a ski mask, perhaps.

When I was making it I did check to make sure my stitch size fit with the pattern, and I had him try it on circumference-wise at least once. Now that it's completed though, the magnitude of the hat becomes clearer. It's too big to really sit on our heads without the sides being folded up almost to the top. It's also fairly loose, looser than I thought it was while I was making it, I guess the circular needle kept it somewhat tighter than it really was?

I really think our heads are at least a standard deviation larger than normal, I don't know who this size of hat is meant to fit. I chose to do 112st rather than the 96st required for a small hat.

Anyways, this is thoroughly disheartening. Is it possible to shrink a 100% wool hat nicely? If not, the hat is unusable. :saddowns:

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Shrinking wool usually means felting it, which may or may not be something you want. You could always just unravel the hat and try knitting it again in the smaller size.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Gently Used Coat posted:

Shrinking wool usually means felting it, which may or may not be something you want. You could always just unravel the hat and try knitting it again in the smaller size.

It took me a month and a half to knit the hat, I'm not very fast yet. I don't think I could bear to unravel it and start over.

He currently has the brim double-folded so that it fits like a real hat, he's so sweet.

Given that it's too big in every direction, would it be possible to felt it a little?

I guess if the felting doesn't take, and I have to reknit it, I'm only out $5 for more yarn...

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I made a hat for my boyfriend a couple years ago and it came out too big so I felted it. He ended up loving it and wearing it until it had holes in it, then asked me for another hat felted "just like the last one." So yeah, try felting, it might make your hat better than you'd hoped!

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

dopaMEAN posted:

Oh man, the hat is awful!

My fiance and I both have MASSIVE heads. Neither of us can usually fit into hats sold in stores and hats always pin our ears to our head. Not this hat. No sir. In fact, this may be the largest hat I've ever seen. It would be fit for a ski mask, perhaps.

Is this the WW2 Watch Cap? The stitch count sounds like it. If so, I must either knit tighter than you or have an even more giant head because the one I made for a neighbour (wool, largest size) fit me perfectly and I was really sad to give it away, but it fit him perfectly so everything was alright in the end.

But then again my head gets stuck in an XL men's flight helmet so maybe I'm just even more freakishly bobbleheaded. :smith:

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Chococat posted:

Is this the WW2 Watch Cap? The stitch count sounds like it. If so, I must either knit tighter than you or have an even more giant head because the one I made for a neighbour (wool, largest size) fit me perfectly and I was really sad to give it away, but it fit him perfectly so everything was alright in the end.

But then again my head gets stuck in an XL men's flight helmet so maybe I'm just even more freakishly bobbleheaded. :smith:

It is!

I kept trying to loosen up my knitting after my scarf came out undersized and lumpy in the tight areas.

When the fiance and I go to the military surplus store we can't put on helmets, we can just place them atop our heads.

(Just did some science because I'm slacking off on a paper: His head (24in) is 1cm above the 97th percentile for a man of his height (68in). My head is 0.5cm above the 97th percentile for a woman of my height (67in). That's based on 2 papers, but they could be outdated. :science:)

I'll probably die in labor if we ever have children.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I had the same problem with my first hat (first project). It was one of those "knit a big rectangle and seam it up so the hat will have funny points" patterns from Knitting for Dummies. And of course I made it out of not just 100% acrylic but 100% acrylic in varigated baby pink, baby blue, and baby yellow. Brilliant.

I don't even know what happened to that thing.

Anyway, yeah try felting it! Felting is fun.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

dopaMEAN posted:

(Just did some science because I'm slacking off on a paper: His head (24in) is 1cm above the 97th percentile for a man of his height (68in). My head is 0.5cm above the 97th percentile for a woman of my height (67in). That's based on 2 papers, but they could be outdated. :science:)

I'll probably die in labor if we ever have children.

My head is 23" around and I'm only 62 inches tall. High five, gonna die in labor buddy. :smith:

I found the hat kind of big for my super short bamboo DPNs but thankfully they were grippy enough to keep the stitches on.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Chococat posted:

My head is 23" around and I'm only 62 inches tall. High five, gonna die in labor buddy. :smith:

I found the hat kind of big for my super short bamboo DPNs but thankfully they were grippy enough to keep the stitches on.

Yeah, mine's 23.25 and I'm 67 inches tall. Woo!

I bet my DPNs were the same length as yours, the metal did me no favors. Reducing it on the circular, then moving it to DPNs when it was too small to continue worked like a charm. When the DPNs are actually big enough knitting in the round isn't nearly as painful as I thought!

After maybe 2 rows of reducing I realized that I was going into the slipped stitch backwards and knitting-two-together backwards. In both cases I put the needle into the back of the stitch, I have no idea why. I guess that's what I get for learning new stitches without being sufficiently careful! It doesn't seem to have made a difference, thankfully.

Looking forward to trying to achieve a mild felting today!

omgmypony
Oct 5, 2005

wii wii wii wii wii wii wii
I was putting some clothes away at my grandmother's house and found a huge (HUGE!) ball of homespun wool. It's all itchy and irregular and very, very primitive looking. There's even little bits of debris in the wool here and there. I confiscated it for myself (my grandmother doesn't actually knit or crochet) but I'm not sure what to do with it. It's definitely ugly, but I think it has a certain charm. Is there any type of project that is suited towards yarn like this? I'm still new to knitting.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

omgmypony posted:

I was putting some clothes away at my grandmother's house and found a huge (HUGE!) ball of homespun wool. It's all itchy and irregular and very, very primitive looking. There's even little bits of debris in the wool here and there. I confiscated it for myself (my grandmother doesn't actually knit or crochet) but I'm not sure what to do with it. It's definitely ugly, but I think it has a certain charm. Is there any type of project that is suited towards yarn like this? I'm still new to knitting.

You could make a sweater for someone you hate!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Wet felt some slippers, or really anything. Felt stuff is scratchy anyway so it won't matter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Doc Faustus posted:

You could make a sweater for someone you hate!

Or one of those people with an "itchy wool bodysuit" fetish!