Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

Don't worry, though... You don't want to work for a place without lockers anyways. Seriously, do they just expect you to hide diverted meds on your person?

You should just assign yourself a toilet and keep everything in a ziploc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Never mind what I said earlier. This.

Forgetting to chart one thing = Not the end of the world.
Getting written up for it = WTF?

Don't worry, though... You don't want to work for a place without lockers anyways. Seriously, do they just expect you to hide diverted meds on your person?

There are lockers, just not any with my name on them. :saddowns:

Like I said I've only been off orientation for like 5 shifts.

e: do you really think they want to fire me? :ohdear:

I've gotten kudos from patients, including getting talked up to the CEO by one patient and her daughter... You'd think that would count for something....

Annath fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 7, 2015

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Hahahahhahahahahahahhaahh

No. Watch your rear end it sound like they're tying to put your feet to the coals.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Roki B posted:

Hahahahhahahahahahahhaahh

No. Watch your rear end it sound like they're tying to put your feet to the coals.

I wonder if being a guy in a primarily female dominated profession would give a petition to the EEOC a little more weight, if they do try to fire me.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Laughable at best. What kind of unit are you going to be fired from again?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Roki B posted:

Laughable at best. What kind of unit are you going to be fired from again?

Progressive/ Intermediate Care Unit :saddowns:

One would think they would have started stirring up poo poo before my 90 day probationary period was up... they could have fired me any time :(

Annath fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 7, 2015

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Annath posted:

Progressive/ Intermediate Care Unit :saddowns:

One would think they would have started stirring up poo poo before my 90 day probationary period was up... they could have fired me any time :(

They still can. And without monetary savings you need them. Which means you'll do whatever they loving tell you to do. They're betting you can't afford your loans without them. Also your union probably sucks rear end in a top hat.

Congrats on being a nurse on the east coast.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Roki B posted:

They still can. And without monetary savings you need them. Which means you'll do whatever they loving tell you to do. They're betting you can't afford your loans without them. Also your union probably sucks rear end in a top hat.

Congrats on being a nurse on the east coast.

Uh, there is no such thing as unions here, and even mentioning them is verboten.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Annath posted:

I wonder if being a guy in a primarily female dominated profession would give a petition to the EEOC a little more weight, if they do try to fire me.

Are you white, too? I'd love to see an EEOC complaint from a white male.

All joking aside... You just got off probation. Where I work, everyone has a review with their manager after probation to touch on what's going well and what needs improvement. If you don't have a meeting like this scheduled already, go ask for and address this head on. If your manager *is* building a paper trail to fire you over a missed weight while you were on probation, you're better off in the long run not working there anymore.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Are you white, too? I'd love to see an EEOC complaint from a white male.

All joking aside... You just got off probation. Where I work, everyone has a review with their manager after probation to touch on what's going well and what needs improvement. If you don't have a meeting like this scheduled already, go ask for and address this head on. If your manager *is* building a paper trail to fire you over a missed weight while you were on probation, you're better off in the long run not working there anymore.

I had a review with my manager when I finished my orientation/preceptor period, which coincided with my 90 day "end of probation". I had glowing reviews from all my preceptors, most of whom said I could have come off orientation sooner. Pretty much all my coworkers like me. My patients love me.

I'm just worried that they are so focused on what makes suits happy (decisive, poorly thought out actions) that they will be blasting people over this weights thing left and right. They apparently ran an audit and have found that the weights are being missed a lot, so its not just me, but it basically went "management announces a crackdown on missed daily weights", "I find a written warning about an issue from 3 weeks ago that no one told me about", so now I feel like I'm walking on eggshells.

Of note is that the warning letter had both my name and my preceptor's name as the addressed-to individuals, but they never said anything, and I haven't seen them since I found the document.

I was joking about the EEOC thing, mostly. Although the guys on the unit have been having a rough time. One got fired, for a mostly legit reason, although more than one person dropped the ball and he was the only termination, one male traveler got unexpectedly reassigned off the unit by his agency and was only told that the request came from the hospital, and one guy had a female charge get physically aggressive with him (she grabbed him and tried to pull him away from the nurses station).

Also all the managers are african american or SE asian american women, so... :v:

e: yes, white guy here

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Getting written up for missing a weight is some clownshoes rear end bullshit. I mean, if you didn't chart anything for an entire pay period then yeah they'd have a beef, but people forget poo poo sometimes or get too busy actually doing work to chart every single thing every single day.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Dr. Capco posted:

Getting written up for missing a weight is some clownshoes rear end bullshit. I mean, if you didn't chart anything for an entire pay period then yeah they'd have a beef, but people forget poo poo sometimes or get too busy actually doing work to chart every single thing every single day.

The things we are expected to chart on every patient every shift (nights, because that's what I work. Days don't have to do weights for example):

Shift physical assessment x 3
Vitals x 3
Weight x 1
IV site assessment(s) x 2 (per IV site)
Foley assessment (if applicable) x 2
Schmid fall assessment x 2
Hourly Rounds x 12

Missing any of the above can technically result in a write up, AFAIK.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Have you know, tried talking to your manager instead of speculating and working yourself up listening to internet strangers who ask you where you hide your liquor at work?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Etrips posted:

Have you know, tried talking to your manager instead of speculating and working yourself up listening to internet strangers who ask you where you hide your liquor at work?

Nope. It's a 75 mile drive to work and I'm off until Tuesday :v:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Reading this thread makes me never want to work in a hospital again.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Holy guacamole, relax. If they are having a crack down on daily weights and are to the point of doing audits, it's not the end of your nursing career if you get written up. They probably wrote up a bunch of people, which is why they may not have taken the time to tell you in person. If it was just some person following you and writing you up to be a jerk that's one thing, but being written up after an audit happens. You probably will never forget to do a weight again, which is the whole point of a write up.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I think part of the anxiety might have been, of all things, melatonin withdrawl.

I'd been taking 10mg per day before bed (2x5mg tabs), but when I went to the store they only had 3mg tabs, and they all said not to take more than 3mg per day. My previous bottle didnt say that at all....

So yeah I've had 3 hours of sleep in the last 34 :v:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
You can take 10mg of melatonin, that's the max for safe dosing. It's available in 5mg tabs, which is definitely more than 3mg.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Lockerchat:

I didn't get a locker in my first part time job (which I got during my second year of studies) because it turns out most old and small health centers only have barely enough men's lockers for the doctors.

Same with school, it was always a rush to grab a locker come fall because we had to clear them out during the summer and there wasn't enough for all the guys. Same with toilets, some entire floors didn't have toilets for men.

edit: Also a 75 mile commute? I'd just quit

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Annath posted:

I think part of the anxiety might have been, of all things, melatonin withdrawl.

Is this even a thing

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Roki B posted:

Is this even a thing

There are reports of rebound insomnia but nothing like the symptoms we associate with classic withdrawal.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Annath posted:

The things we are expected to chart on every patient every shift (nights, because that's what I work. Days don't have to do weights for example):

Shift physical assessment x 3
Vitals x 3
Weight x 1
IV site assessment(s) x 2 (per IV site)
Foley assessment (if applicable) x 2
Schmid fall assessment x 2
Hourly Rounds x 12

Missing any of the above can technically result in a write up, AFAIK.

If you're not in ICU this is RIDICULOUS. Who has time to get this done with 4-5 patients that I'm assuming are peeing, pooping, have feeds/IVs going? Fall assessments twice per shift?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Atma McCuddles posted:

If you're not in ICU this is RIDICULOUS. Who has time to get this done with 4-5 patients that I'm assuming are peeing, pooping, have feeds/IVs going? Fall assessments twice per shift?

Progressive Care Unit, but yeah 3-5 patients. Usually 4. Also usually 1 or none techs.

E: Oh and nights draws the scheduled labs, so there's that too.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
If people keep forgetting to chart weights it's 100% because of the work load (which is kind of evident by your posts), not individuals. Over here people don't get written up, but if there is a risk of injury or potential for injury to a patient while in care, the incident is reported. The incident does not contain name of the "wrongdoer", and is there to serve as a tool for identifying bad routines, high workloads or other structural problems.

The only time you'd get written up here is you pretty much willfully do something wrong / show gross negligence.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

MrOnBicycle posted:

If people keep forgetting to chart weights it's 100% because of the work load (which is kind of evident by your posts), not individuals. Over here people don't get written up, but if there is a risk of injury or potential for injury to a patient while in care, the incident is reported. The incident does not contain name of the "wrongdoer", and is there to serve as a tool for identifying bad routines, high workloads or other structural problems.

The only time you'd get written up here is you pretty much willfully do something wrong / show gross negligence.

Check out the Health Care Workers thread, I went into more detail about the poo poo I'm dealing with :/

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Annath posted:

Check out the Health Care Workers thread, I went into more detail about the poo poo I'm dealing with :/

Link?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Most recently, ACLS:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469571&pagenumber=297&perpage=40#post452552814

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

This is a kind of dumb question, but what's a good present for someone graduating with their B.S. in Nursing? I already have copious amounts of alcohol and comfortable shoes covered.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Not a Children posted:

This is a kind of dumb question, but what's a good present for someone graduating with their B.S. in Nursing? I already have copious amounts of alcohol and comfortable shoes covered.

A journal is nice if they are the writing type.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Not a Children posted:

Nice pen, pencil?, sharpies!

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Coffee shop gift card, nice stethoscope if they don't already have one. Gift card for massage place.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
A box of Depends adult diapers, for them to wear after their butthole loses all tone due to being repeatedly hosed by their employers.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Blowjobs and steak.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Koivunen posted:

Holy guacamole, relax. If they are having a crack down on daily weights and are to the point of doing audits, it's not the end of your nursing career if you get written up. They probably wrote up a bunch of people, which is why they may not have taken the time to tell you in person. If it was just some person following you and writing you up to be a jerk that's one thing, but being written up after an audit happens. You probably will never forget to do a weight again, which is the whole point of a write up.

This.

Though I'd still find a new job because a 75 mile commute is insanity.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

halokiller posted:

This.

Though I'd still find a new job because a 75 mile commute is insanity.

I' in the process of exploring job available in my town. One of my friends works at a local hospital, and her manager was interested in my application, but the position wants 9 months exp, and my application got auto-declined by the HR machine. My friend is going to talk to her manager and see if there is a way to get my app in front of a live person, since I have ~6mo critical care exp, and they want 9 months med-surg, so it might balance out.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Annath posted:

I' in the process of exploring job available in my town. One of my friends works at a local hospital, and her manager was interested in my application, but the position wants 9 months exp, and my application got auto-declined by the HR machine. My friend is going to talk to her manager and see if there is a way to get my app in front of a live person, since I have ~6mo critical care exp, and they want 9 months med-surg, so it might balance out.

Not to nit-pick, but step-down is not the same thing as critical care. It's a step up from med/surg but a step down from critical care, hence the name. Make sure you're being honest and specific about your previous work experience.

Good luck with the application. I can't imagine driving so far just to work, and I certainly can't imagine going through all the bullshit that has come your way so far. The ACLS issue is absolutely insane.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Koivunen posted:

Not to nit-pick, but step-down is not the same thing as critical care. It's a step up from med/surg but a step down from critical care, hence the name. Make sure you're being honest and specific about your previous work experience.

Good luck with the application. I can't imagine driving so far just to work, and I certainly can't imagine going through all the bullshit that has come your way so far. The ACLS issue is absolutely insane.

According to the hospital I'm at now, it is considered under the purview of Critical Care, of course given the ineptitude of ym employer I guess that should be taken with a grain of salt...

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Annath posted:

According to the hospital I'm at now, it is considered under the purview of Critical Care, of course given the ineptitude of ym employer I guess that should be taken with a grain of salt...

Yeah, you are ACLS "trained" and your patients are more critical than a med/surg unit, but it's not an Intensive Care Unit. I'm not saying that as a jab towards you, rather your employer. You seem like you are genuinely passionate about your profession, but you are being screwed hardcore by your hospital. In general, or at least to the general public, critical care and intensive care are used interchangeably, regardless of whether or not that is technically correct. When applying for a new job with a different employer, it's really important that you be specific about what your previous work experience is.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Koivunen posted:

Yeah, you are ACLS "trained" and your patients are more critical than a med/surg unit, but it's not an Intensive Care Unit. I'm not saying that as a jab towards you, rather your employer. You seem like you are genuinely passionate about your profession, but you are being screwed hardcore by your hospital. In general, or at least to the general public, critical care and intensive care are used interchangeably, regardless of whether or not that is technically correct. When applying for a new job with a different employer, it's really important that you be specific about what your previous work experience is.
This here. If someone said they had critical care experience, I'd assume they meant ICU, and that's about it. If you do want to describe what you're doing on a resume, go with "progressive care unit". Where I am, in the hospitals that do use stepdowns, I think we just count step-down patients as two patients for purposes of staffing ratios but they're on regular floors. Roughly.

e: and honestly, if they want med-surg, they might prefer PCU to ICU. I know I'd have a hard adjustment taking care of more than two patients, especially ones who aren't on a monitor all the time. Plus, most of my experience doesn't exactly translate. There aren't exactly a lot of titrateable drips and vents on a med-surg floor, and its a very strange day when I don't have at least one of the above (and usually means we're backed up transfer-wise on the floors).

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So in the continuing saga of WTF, one of my coworkers is meeting with the Chief Nursing Executive about an incident wherein the offgoing day shift charge nurse laid hands on him (grabbed him by the wrist and tried to pull him) because he was using "her" computer to print out the shift assignment.

Of course, I saw it happen because I was waiting on the shift assignment. I thought he was letting the incident go because I hadn't heard anything about it, until last night he texted me that he was meeting with the CME today.

I'm not going to lie if they ask me, but I really hope I'm not needed to corroborate things. Its more drama than I want to deal with.