Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sabmo
May 7, 2009

omgitstheinternet posted:

1996 Saab 9000 Aero

100% stock, picked it up last week, I love it.

Congratulations on the Aero, tell me more about it. They're amazing cars. Is it a 5-speed? How are you finding it? I would advise very regular oil changes, and look after that gearbox, especially if you're doing engine work. Have you got any plans for it?

Speaking as a previous owner of an Aero that was sadly written off a few months ago, they're easily my favourite car of all time. Here was my beast:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sockington posted:

He meant the engine naming system. 7MGTE. 4AGZE. 1JZGTE. 1ZZ-FE.
Straight six wide angle twin cam turbo with fuel injection, four cylinder with wide angle twin cam, supercharger and fuel injection, straight six with wide angle twincam, turbo and fuel injection and four cylinder with narrow angle twincam and fuel injection :neckbeard:

YoYo
Mar 15, 2003
Physics!!
Skyline Drive about an hour and half outside of DC

CPO'd 2007 A4 2T quattro, had it for about 5 months now and having lots of fun.

Mitchnasty
Apr 15, 2009
1998 Chevy Blazer 4dr 4wd

:buddy:
Not pictured: side steps and grille guard from LMC truck :smugdog:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

YoYo posted:

Skyline Drive about an hour and half outside of DC
Where specifically? I love how the Appalachian mountains look like big bowls of Twix onces the leaves really start changing. But I'm normally driving up through MD, is that West Virginia there?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
1989 Jeep YJ

2.5l AMC Inline 4 Carbeurated
5 Speed Manual
NP231 Transfer Case
35" Tires
3" Lift

SOON: To be re-powered by 3.0l Daimler-Benz TD from my Mercedes 300SD

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

1981 VW Rabbit
1.6l TD (Previously an NA) with Propane Boost and ARP Headstuds
4 Speed Manual

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

Not Pictured: 1991 VW Jetta 1.8l Gasser 5 speed
Not Pictured: 1972 Willys M35A2 12l White-Hercules Multifuel TD 6x6
Not Pictured: Mercedes Benz 300SD 3.0l Inline 5 TD

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 17, 2010

YoYo
Mar 15, 2003
Physics!!

davebo posted:

Where specifically? I love how the Appalachian mountains look like big bowls of Twix onces the leaves really start changing. But I'm normally driving up through MD, is that West Virginia there?

Entered from Front Royal off 66 and just went the first 25miles or so, stopping a few times a long the way, but I'd love to go further it was just that I had to get back by a certain time.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Blaster of Justice posted:

I need it man.

For content: My daily ride.

I want that car! Looks a drat sight better than mine, with the same size engine. Plus I kinda want a station wagon.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Daneo posted:

My new toy. The engine has been completely rebuilt, so hopefully the apex seals will stay where they are for a while.

e:
Specs
New stock turbo's running at ~1bar
Apexi ECU
Gizzmo boost controller
850cc injectors
D2 coilovers
HKS exhaust
Powerflex bushings in the rear
Ferodo DS2500 Pads

The wheels are völks 17" with michelin pilot's on them.

I am completely in love with your car.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Took the rear top spoiler bug deflector/stupid thing off and gave it a wash. Pretty!

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

nerdly_dood posted:

I want that car! Looks a drat sight better than mine, with the same size engine. Plus I kinda want a station wagon.

If you like it, you should definitely try to find one. The 406 TS6 is a car that will give you close to no problems maintenance wise.

The drive-train is rock solid, and will haul your rear end around for years and years. The interior is on the right side of "decent" - it's actually pretty nice, and comfortable.

The chassis is almost immune to rust, even in the harsh Norse climate where I live, and the under-body handles just as well as any comparable BMW, VW, Mercedes or Audi in the same class, but at a considerable reduced price - at least where I live. I don't know about the States, since the car wasn't exported to there.

In contradiction to most French cars, the 406 has almost none electrical or electronics gremlins, and the T6 has almost everything you might desire regarding electric equipment.

Spare parts are cheap where I live too.

Performance wise it's a pretty fast car with a tremendous torque. It absolutely performs as what you'd expect from a 3.0l, 60°, 24 Valve V6. It'll take you from 0 to suspension of your drivers license, in most parts of the world, on the edge of friction.

It's NOT a race car though - TS=Touring Sport, but it IS considerably faster than most cars you'll face in Europe. 210 HP for less than 1200 Kg is sufficient to launch it pretty fast. It also responds really well to a turbo (might be an upcoming project ;) )

I can only recommend the TS6. Using it as a daily drive is guaranteed to smear a broad smile all over your face, unless you're caught at the gas station. Expect around 10Km/l or 23.5mpg. Not terrible, but definitely not quite political correct ;)

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 18, 2010

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

handles just as well as any comparable BMW, VW, Mercedes or Audi in the same class, but at a considerable reduced price

"Butbutbut... My precious RWD/Quattro :qq:"

I'm amazed it clocks in at only 1200kg, my Panda is less than 200kg lighter for a tiny hatchback compared to a wagon, that's pretty drat good.

And one thing the french have always gotten right in their cars, hella comfortable suspensions. Can't have the ride shaking the ash from their Gauloises' everywhere around the interior, now can we? :france:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

MrZig posted:

Took the rear top spoiler bug deflector/stupid thing off and gave it a wash. Pretty!

I've always been interested in those cars. Look like fun little hatchbacks; just wish they were rwd. Yours is in great shape btw!

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

KozmoNaut posted:

"Butbutbut... My precious RWD/Quattro :qq:"

I'm amazed it clocks in at only 1200kg, my Panda is less than 200kg lighter for a tiny hatchback compared to a wagon, that's pretty drat good.

I think it helps that the weight of the engine is bordering ridiculously light. Maybe PSE and Porsche got a real good deal on aluminum in the early 2000's. It's a laughable light engine, for what it is.

Panda? We didn't discuss cars last we meet. I've got a Fiat too. The 155hk 5 cyl. Marea HLX Weekend Wagon. I'm looking to get rid of it though. It's a decent car, and it has served me well, but it's just not... well. It doesn't excite me.

(I've also got a Citroën Xantia 1.8 that you can have for cheap and hauling it away. Pictured in the previous post of the Peugeot - visible in the background)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

(I've also got a Citroën Xantia 1.8 that you can have for cheap and hauling it away. Pictured in the previous post of the Peugeot - visible in the background)

Hah, my parents drive a C5, I've been scared off of French cars for a while, even though I like the design of the Xantia and the fancy-rear end suspension. Those frenchies are just too unreliable.

*Drives off in his Polish-built Italian hatchback*

*Has electrical problems*

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

KozmoNaut posted:

Those frenchies are just too unreliable.

Agreed. The Peugeot 406 is just not a part of the conspiracy.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Agreed. The Peugeot 406 is just not a part of the conspiracy.

I had a euro-spec Peugeot 307 when I lived in Europe and reliability was the last of my concerns. I've never drove a US Market Peugeot, but I'd love to see the 308 find its way to the US market.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Hah, my parents drive a C5, I've been scared off of French cars for a while, even though I like the design of the Xantia and the fancy-rear end suspension. Those frenchies are just too unreliable.

Try a C6 and get right back on the comfy drug that is French cars. :3:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

It's NOT a race car though - TS=Touring Sport, but it IS considerably faster than most cars you'll face in Europe. 210 HP for less than 1200 Kg is sufficient to launch it pretty fast. It also responds really well to a turbo (might be an upcoming project ;) )

Not trying to be a dick or anything but I think you'll find its actually close to 1400kg. Still not bad for its size though - its a real pity the 407 'wagon' lost much of its utility.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

dissss posted:

Not trying to be a dick or anything but I think you'll find its actually close to 1400kg. Still not bad for its size though - its a real pity the 407 'wagon' lost much of its utility.

A little research tells me that you're right, Mr. Dick. About 1375 Kg seems to be correct. Hmmm. I wonder where I got the 1200 from, since I usually don't pull numbers from my rear end. Anyway, I hope you understand that I'll have to kill you for being right now. Sorry, you seemed to be a nice chap.

The 1200 might be for the coupé. For content, let's add a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYpZbIlfKuo

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 19, 2010

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010
Same car, new parts, and some new locations :D

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

KozmoNaut posted:

Which Panda do you have?
Before my stupid French car I had a stupid Italian car. It was a white Panda 100HP and it was way fun.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hello Spaceman posted:

Which Panda do you have?
Before my stupid French car I had a stupid Italian car. It was a white Panda 100HP and it was way fun.

I have the 70hp 55mpg diesel. Not nearly as eager, but still great fun :)

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

KozmoNaut posted:

I have the 70hp 55mpg diesel. Not nearly as eager, but still great fun :)

Fun like constantly washing too fast and furious moped drivers off your rear end?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

wkarma posted:

Very nice, love the color. There's a glut of silver and nogaro blue B5 S4s around here, so it's nice to see some variety.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

DropShadow posted:

Very nice, love the color. There's a glut of silver and nogaro blue B5 S4s around here, so it's nice to see some variety.

Thanks, yeah, you tend not to see many santorin for whatever reason. I really like the color.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

A little research tells me that you're right, Mr. Dick. About 1375 Kg seems to be correct. Hmmm. I wonder where I got the 1200 from, since I usually don't pull numbers from my rear end. Anyway, I hope you understand that I'll have to kill you for being right now. Sorry, you seemed to be a nice chap.

Hey its bad enough you found a wagon with a manual transmission when I had to settle for an auto, can't handle it being the best part of 300kgs lighter than mine too :p

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

dissss posted:

Hey its bad enough you found a wagon with a manual transmission when I had to settle for an auto, can't handle it being the best part of 300kgs lighter than mine too :p

I want this thing so bad!

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Currently sitting at my parent's house, 5-speed 1.6L NA Jetta diesel:

Since purchase: "new" tires off a scrapped neon, new carpet, sealed some leaks, new horn, tons of electrical work. Everything works but the AC.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

NOTinuyasha posted:

Currently sitting at my parent's house, 5-speed 1.6L NA Jetta diesel

My wife had one of these. I think the odometer reading was about 800,000 km / 500,000 miles before the head exploded. It would probably have gone twice that, if she'd bothered to grant it just a few drops of oil for the last 200.000 km.

It's a pretty solid car.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

If you like it, you should definitely try to find one. The 406 TS6 is a car that will give you close to no problems maintenance wise.

The drive-train is rock solid, and will haul your rear end around for years and years. The interior is on the right side of "decent" - it's actually pretty nice, and comfortable.

The chassis is almost immune to rust, even in the harsh Norse climate where I live, and the under-body handles just as well as any comparable BMW, VW, Mercedes or Audi in the same class, but at a considerable reduced price - at least where I live. I don't know about the States, since the car wasn't exported to there.

In contradiction to most French cars, the 406 has almost none electrical or electronics gremlins, and the T6 has almost everything you might desire regarding electric equipment.

Spare parts are cheap where I live too.

Performance wise it's a pretty fast car with a tremendous torque. It absolutely performs as what you'd expect from a 3.0l, 60°, 24 Valve V6. It'll take you from 0 to suspension of your drivers license, in most parts of the world, on the edge of friction.

I can only recommend the TS6. Using it as a daily drive is guaranteed to smear a broad smile all over your face, unless you're caught at the gas station. Expect around 10Km/l or 23.5mpg. Not terrible, but definitely not quite political correct ;)

My car can be seen a few pages back. It works, decent acceleration and torque, gets me around just fine and all - probably similar performance to your car since they've got the same size engine and (guessing about yours but) both are front wheel drive. Don't know about yours but my car gets about 20 MPG.

From certain angles it looks nice, but overall the styling is too round, and I like cars to have a nice combination of square parts and round ones, or all square ones... God that does not sound intelligent...

Anyway, your car is not especially unique in any way other than that it's a Peugeot, which would mean that in the States it would stick out like a sore thumb. I guess the next best option would be a Saab, since those are sold here... something like this would be just fine.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 20, 2010

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

nerdly_dood posted:

My car can be seen a few pages back. It works, decent acceleration and torque, gets me around just fine and all - probably similar performance to your car since they've got the same size engine and (guessing about yours but) both are front wheel drive. Don't know about yours but my car gets about 20 MPG.

Depends on what engine you have in your Taurus really. That Pug is a little more powerful than the top spec Taurus but a lot more powerful than the basic SOHC model.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

My wife had one of these. I think the odometer reading was about 800,000 km / 500,000 miles before the head exploded. It would probably have gone twice that, if she'd bothered to grant it just a few drops of oil for the last 200.000 km.

It's a pretty solid car.

Mine is pushing 273k and still going, parts are very cheap. It's slow and dirty but I love it. I never had anything too crazy planned but I'd like to overhaul the A/C next summer and turn it into a real daily driver.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

NOTinuyasha posted:

Mine is pushing 273k and still going, parts are very cheap. It's slow and dirty but I love it. I never had anything too crazy planned but I'd like to overhaul the A/C next summer and turn it into a real daily driver.

My VW Rabbit 1.6l TD is pushing 687,000 I love it, its slow, its dirty, but 53 to the gallon and like you said, parts are DIRT cheap.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

dissss posted:

Depends on what engine you have in your Taurus really. That Pug is a little more powerful than the top spec Taurus but a lot more powerful than the basic SOHC model.

The basic model is an awful Pushrod V6 there is no SOHC model.

Omning
Jul 12, 2006
My 06 Charger SRT8. Mopar dealer option intake and exhaust are the only performance mods.

Click here for the full 800x532 image.

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.
My '04 BMW E60 530D, picked it up a month ago.

Click here for the full 1920x1440 image.

Completely stock, I'm considering getting it tuned and I might put some M parts on it, sideskirts and front bumper.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
Temporary poo poo off a shovel machine.

Renaultsport Clio 182

2.0 litre inline 4 putting out 182hp... kerb weight 1110kg.. poo poo is fast.

AND it's got air con, leather seats, xenons and cruise control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvyVnutjJYA

blambert fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 27, 2012

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows

Sabmo posted:

Congratulations on the Aero, tell me more about it. They're amazing cars. Is it a 5-speed? How are you finding it? I would advise very regular oil changes, and look after that gearbox, especially if you're doing engine work. Have you got any plans for it?

Speaking as a previous owner of an Aero that was sadly written off a few months ago, they're easily my favourite car of all time. Here was my beast:

Yours was gorgeous, what happened to it?

Mine is a 5 speed, has 96k, but wasn't that well maintained. I had the radiator pop a couple weeks ago, a few days after fixing that the serpentine belt tensioner broke. I did the radiator myself since it happened near my work so I had a place to fix it, and did the thermostat at the same time. I took it to a local saab mechanic to have the tensioner done, apparently something called the stay bracket was broken as well. I'm picking it up today and I'm very excited.

It has a few other issues, the fuel gauge always reads full, the coolant temp gauge reads cold, even after the new thermostat, and the car is definitely warming up more than it reads. Also has a few electrical gremlins, the high beams don't work, the central locking works on and off.

The car is definitely a beater but living in brooklyn I didn't want anything too nice, it's amazing on my commute and gets similar gas mileage as my miata did, if you can believe that. I'll get more pictures of it soon, even though it is certainly not pretty. The interior is in great shape at least, which is what I really cared about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Omning posted:

My 06 Charger SRT8. Mopar dealer option intake and exhaust are the only performance mods.

That SRT looks so loving mean right behind the 3. Kind of looks like it's molesting it.