Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Ko Phi Phi by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Bring it on

jesus saves by yoohoo, on Flickr

cars at night by yoohoo, on Flickr

brooklyn promenade by yoohoo, on Flickr

bicycles on the corner by yoohoo, on Flickr

sidewalk sun by yoohoo, on Flickr

dumbo by yoohoo, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Shooting on the street with a Moskva is a lot of fun, people don't seem to mind it compared to pointing a DSLR at them.

Moskva012.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Moskva006.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Does not like being pointed anywhere close to the sun though.

MoskvaBW003.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

MoskvaBW004.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Ayutthaya by Tom Olson, on Flickr

dunos
Feb 6, 2007

I refuse to be part of your furry fantasies

Bristol; April 2017 by dunos, on Flickr

Bath; April 2017 by dunos, on Flickr

Bristol; March 2017 by dunos, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I dig these two.

Untitled by Jason Martin, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Also:

amoeba
Aug 15, 2001
I waited a few minutes for someone to walk past but this end of town is pretty quiet most of the time and I got bored of waiting.

Murray St Under The Freeway by Justin Wake, on Flickr

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 7, 2017

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Literally pictures of streets.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Fine, I'll keep going.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

these good as hell

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Wow, I'm really digging this one.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

atomicthumbs posted:

these good as hell

ReverendHammer posted:

Wow, I'm really digging this one.

Thanks, all!

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Shots from around DC

R0023849 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr

R0023691 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr

R0023773 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr

R0023689 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr

R0023739 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr

Untitled-216-2 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Just a couple of shots before/after work trying to experiment with multiple simultaneous light temperatures.

Moving Truck by John Girgis, on Flickr

Santa's Hideout by John Girgis, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Cool

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

thanks man ^^^

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

The lessons I learned in doing this are that pushing Ultramax to 1600 is a cruel and terrible thing to do to a film that already has a hard enough time as it is and the film bows in the middle so bad its impossible to scan nicely and just won't flatten no matter how much weight or heat I use. I wasn't willing to have the lab scan this with their nice Noritsu since the rest of the roll is just function test shots of junk in my home for a Yashica Electro I repaired and everything film related in Canada costs a small fortune.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

:shittypop:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

All of these are great, this one is my fav

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

provia for street photography? yes.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Is it safe to assume that these look like they were shot on an old 35mm compact camera with a built-in flash because they were? Excellent in any case.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I mean no disrespect in asking this, but ... what do y'all like about these? Nothing strikes me about these, but it seems they're a hit for other people. So I figure I'm missing something.

(No offense, ansel, I'm not trying to impugn your photos, just I don't personally find these interesting and I am curious why others do.)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Krakkles posted:

I mean no disrespect in asking this, but ... what do y'all like about these? Nothing strikes me about these, but it seems they're a hit for other people. So I figure I'm missing something.

That's pretty much why photography is so subjective though.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Krakkles posted:

(No offense, ansel, I'm not trying to impugn your photos, just I don't personally find these interesting and I am curious why others do.)

that's cool man you don't gotta like anything

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Krakkles posted:

Sure, I'm willing to talk about photography. On a roll with that already today, it seems.

First-off, the high-falutin' stuff: Everything is context/reference. Everything that I see that I like I do because it makes me thing of or remember things — other things I've seen, things I've thought, new ideas that it gives me based on past one. When I see these shots, stylistically, they remind me of a certain place/time/style. They look like they might have been taken in the 80s, which brings up a sense of nostalgia in me. They feel vernacular and off-the-cuff, which makes me think of them as authentic. They provide a sense of being-there which I have no idea about the authenticity of, but which rings a bell in my head that I like.

I think the subjects are well-chosen and interesting. I think that each composition has an interesting and good sense of balance/dynamism. And there's something to be said for seeing these as a group — they provide a united front of feeling. They are stronger together. Here, let's go through one by one.

Not my favorite of the bunch, but I like how it works. There's a sense of connection with the subject. She's looking at me with a sense of disgust or impatience (I get that a lot, hurrr). She's being interrupted in what looks like her taking a picture. Her hand/phone pops against the dark figure behind her. That figure is balanced by the man to her right.

There is a sense of energy and action here that I like. I'm a sucker for flashes and dragged exposures. As someone who always tries to be as sharp as possible, I respect photographs that aren't perfectly sharp, but where I can still see all the detail I needed. If this photo had been sharper/faster, it would lose energy. We can't see what the two men are looking at, but it seems to have made one angry, the other apprehensive. There is a looming darkness behind and activity front. And this was shot, at night, on the street, close to someone angry(?) with a flash — this is the sort of photograph I don't have the guts to take.

Are these ladies happy? ARE THEY? What did the one in front DO to get those beads?

This is probably my least favorite of the set. Just a little slice-of-life.

I do not know, but I think this man is holding a giant cross with an LED sign on it. I think he is at mardi gras or a similar street celebration. I think he is trying to tell the people around him that he thinks that are damned. I think he is sad and sober and flatly lit like he's in a mug shot. I think that the people behind him are happy and laughing and drunk and swirling around in the lights of the night.

This lady as happy and smiling but she is not looking at the man kissing her. The man kissing her is an amorphus shadow. She is looking at me. She wants my dick.

Oh, and the overlit laughing man on the right is God and the shadowy scowling one on the left is Satan.

Aaaand that's it for this installment of Art School Crit Wall.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I can dig that! Thank you for responding genuinely. I appreciate it and truthfully appreciate the photos a bit more thanks to it.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

thetzar posted:

Sure, I'm willing to talk about photography. On a roll with that already today, it seems.

Not my favorite of the bunch, but I like how it works. There's a sense of connection with the subject. She's looking at me with a sense of disgust or impatience (I get that a lot, hurrr). She's being interrupted in what looks like her taking a picture. Her hand/phone pops against the dark figure behind her. That figure is balanced by the man to her right.

There is a sense of energy and action here that I like. I'm a sucker for flashes and dragged exposures. As someone who always tries to be as sharp as possible, I respect photographs that aren't perfectly sharp, but where I can still see all the detail I needed. If this photo had been sharper/faster, it would lose energy. We can't see what the two men are looking at, but it seems to have made one angry, the other apprehensive. There is a looming darkness behind and activity front. And this was shot, at night, on the street, close to someone angry(?) with a flash — this is the sort of photograph I don't have the guts to take.

I do not know, but I think this man is holding a giant cross with an LED sign on it. I think he is at mardi gras or a similar street celebration. I think he is trying to tell the people around him that he thinks that are damned. I think he is sad and sober and flatly lit like he's in a mug shot. I think that the people behind him are happy and laughing and drunk and swirling around in the lights of the night.

This lady as happy and smiling but she is not looking at the man kissing her. The man kissing her is an amorphus shadow. She is looking at me. She wants my dick.

Oh, and the overlit laughing man on the right is God and the shadowy scowling one on the left is Satan.

Aaaand that's it for this installment of Art School Crit Wall.

Wow I suddenly have a newfound appreciation for these photos. I was on board with Krakkles before, but looking at them in this way changes them entirely.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Backs of heads are still cool right?

RAISED by the STREETS by Cacator, on Flickr

Symbols by Cacator, on Flickr

Levels by Cacator, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

This was a really nice catch!

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

alkanphel posted:

This was a really nice catch!

Agreed. The class on the floor, the couple on the balcony, the single person in the window, all fo them following the swoop of the framing arch. Really nice.

It's rainy today.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

thetzar posted:

Agreed. The class on the floor, the couple on the balcony, the single person in the window, all fo them following the swoop of the framing arch. Really nice.

It's rainy today.

I wanted to try a thing, although GIMP at work made it a challenge especially on the second one:

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Pham Nuwen posted:

I wanted to try a thing, although GIMP at work made it a challenge especially on the second one:

Yeah, I kinda prefer them crooked. They seem like more interesting frames to me that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

thetzar posted:

Yeah, I kinda prefer them crooked. They seem like more interesting frames to me that way.

With the solo umbrella girl photo, the angled look works really well in making the eye follow a diagonal focus from bottom-left to top-right of the image, which makes me feel like the umbrella itself is nearly popping out of the photo. While with the schoolboy one it helps to emphasize his movement in the picture.

Also for the women crossing the road photo, I really like the two main subjects have opposite sides of their face obscured and everyone else's face in the background is also hidden due to an umbrella.

Keep it up, I think these an some of the other one's on you flickr are brilliant.