Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Norman Smiley putting Pepe in a woodchipper was pretty drat great, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

"Dusty Rhodes got a gig on a three hour prime time Friday Night show 'Motor Madness' on The Nashville Network. It's a show covering Monster Trucks, but using pro wrestling storylines. Rhodes is announcing the show. From what we understand, he was terrible and almost incomprehensible in his debut" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998

This sounds loving amazing.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

""The show was supposed to end with the angle where Sting laid out every member of the NWO except Bischoff and Hogan who escaped unscathed. Because so many fans were hitting the ring, they ran out of time and Sting didn't make it to the ring on time. When Bischoff in the ring realized the angle was blown, he very audibly swore, and then totally freaked out in the ring not realizing that there was a live mic picking it up and it went over the air since there was no seven second delay. He had his head in his hands when the camera came back on him after the swearing" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 22, 1997."

Now where can I see Bischoff's meltdown?

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

"{Bischoff} also said something to the effect that there are only three wrestlers in the room that have ever put asses in the seats and they were Hogan, Piper and Savage and said he was willing to to debate anyone if they disagreed with that assessment."
- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 27, 1997. Backstage meeting with the wrestlers.

Best part about this quote is Ric Flair was in the room.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

To me, Piper has never been a guy who puts asses in seats anyway. He knows one move and it's a sleeper hold!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mons Hubris posted:

To me, Piper has never been a guy who puts asses in seats anyway. He knows one move and it's an eye poke!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MassRayPer posted:

"In the leave your brain at the office match, Nash was DQ'd against Raven in a NO-DQ match for giving two power bombs to Lodi and getting arrested" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 09, 1998.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkKm1BW97eU

RandolphCarter posted:

MassRayPer posted:

"Dusty Rhodes got a gig on a three hour prime time Friday Night show 'Motor Madness' on The Nashville Network. It's a show covering Monster Trucks, but using pro wrestling storylines. Rhodes is announcing the show. From what we understand, he was terrible and almost incomprehensible in his debut" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998
This sounds loving amazing.
He has a few bits.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

nasboat posted:

Norman Smiley putting Pepe in a woodchipper was pretty drat great, too.

Did this actually happen? WWE did the same thing with mopy.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Did this actually happen? WWE did the same thing with mopy.
Yep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZpteGbxWo

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I work for Bigfoot and I've watched much of that stuff with dusty. He isn't incomprehensible, he is just stupid about monster trucks. Can't blame him for that. He normally wouldn't talk much on that show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Speaking of Bigfoot: Halloween Havoc 95!

"The 1995 version of a creatively booked PPV show contained a man falling off a five-story balcony to his apparent death, either into a river or a parking lot (nobody was quite sure), and showing up 15 minutes later to wrestle without even a scratch, or for that matter, wet hair." (WON 1995-11-06.)

"Eddy Guerrero pinned Disco Inferno in 3:21 with a springboard huracanrana off the top rope. Of course Eric Bischoff called the finisher a victory roll which is basically the exact opposite of what it was." (WON 1995-11-06.)

"Paul Orndorff pinned Renegade after two piledrivers in 1:22. Renegade's body has changed a lot. This is probably his last WCW appearance for a long time as they're sending him back to wrestling school. Orndorff was acting depressed because his mirror broke. Orndorff got a big babyface pop for winning." (WON 1995-11-06.)

"Randy Savage pinned Zodiac in 1:30 after an elbow drop off the top rope. Zodiac subbed for Kamala, who decided to quit the promotion early rather than do a job here. The only excitement was when a fan hopped the rail and escaped when ref Randy Anderson tried to hold him back, bring out tons of security and turning the fan into the biggest babyface on the show. Bobby Heenan tried to sell the big crowd pops for the fans as being for Savage. DUD" (WON 1995-11-06.)

"Sabu pinned Mr. J.L. in 3:25 with the arabian moonsault. Give them credit for foresight in time management. They have Luger and Meng go 13:00, and these guys go 3:00?" (WON 1995-11-06.)

"Lex Luger beat Meng via DQ in 13:14. Horrible match with an even worse finish. Meng hit Luger in the throat with a foreign object and had him pinned, but Kevin Sullivan ran in and kicked Luger, who was being pinned, causing Meng to be disqualified for outside interference. This angle actually made sense for later in the show. -* " (WON 1995-11-06.)

"Sting & Ric Flair were technically awarded a DQ win over Arn Anderson & Brian Pillman in 17:09. When the show started, it was announced that Flair had been injured in a pre-match attack by Anderson & Pillman and was questionable for the match. That made perfect sense since just two minutes earlier, Anderson & Pillman had been out doing an interview and none of this was acknowledged. The quality control division of this company leaves much to be desired." (WON 1995-11-06.)

"Next came the sumo monster truck match. The match was actually a compilation of about a 5:00 live match, and several hours worth of taping the previous night. They actually had two monster truck drivers doing the driving and had Hogan and the Giant inside the truck faking like they were driving. If you notice, all the "in the truck" shots were identical and spliced in badly which gave it the Planet Nine look. The Dungeon of Doom truck looked cool. Even Hogan's truck looked like it was on steroids. After the match, Hogan and the Giant argued, and shoved, and punched and eventually the Giant lost his balance on a ledge that was supposed to be overhanging Lake Michigan (although there actually in no part of the roof of Cobo Arena that overhands the lake as there is a parking lot totally surrounding the building) and plunged to his death, or so we were led to believe. Angles like this are the reason pro wrestling in this country is in the condition it is in." (WON 1995-11-06.)

"Savage pinned Luger in 5:23. Jimmy Hart came to ringside. Savage at least tried. When Luger had the match won, Hart distracted the ref. Luger then went after Savage but Savage moved and Luger collided with Hart. Savage hit the elbow off the top for the pin. Given what was happening later in the show, this finish made no sense. 1/4* " (WON 1995-11-06.)

"The Giant beat Hulk Hogan via DQ in 16:57 so Hogan kept the WCW title. Hogan came out first in street clothes explaining that because of what happened to the Giant, there would be no match. Giant then came out, proving to be immortal to falling off buildings, but not to legdrops and poorly timed foot to the faces. This was basically the Hogan-Andre match from Pontiac re-done with a different finish except this Giant is a lot more mobile than Andre was and this Hogan has a lot less charisma than that Hogan did... The announcers tried to sell it like it was Flair vs. Steamboat which it was anything but. After the superman comeback, Hogan hit the legdrop but Jimmy Hart then knocked out ref Randy Anderson with the title belt. Hogan, not seeing it, told Hart to revive the ref, and the moment Hogan turned around, he threw the ref down again. As Hogan was pounding on Giant, Hart hit Hogan with the belt as well but he didn't sell it. but when he went after Hart, he was caught from behind by a deadly bearhug. Luger and Savage then did a run-in, but Hart hit Savage with the belt and Luger began attacking Savage and Hogan. yetti (who turned out to be Ron Reis wrapped up like SMW's Prince Charmin since Giant Gonzalez went AWOL after being hospitalized in mid-week after actually getting in the country to do the angle), who was a good three or four inches taller than our original Giant, combined for a double bearhug on Hogan. At least I hope that's what it was, because it looked more like a kinky sandwich. Yetti isn't supposed to be a mummy but is supposed to be an abominable snowman from the Himalayas. They got it half right. Luger then put Hogan in the torture rack. Hogan and Savage were left laying as the Dungeon of Doom left the ring. It started as a great angle but turned into something campy in the worst way when the guy wrapped up in toilet paper showed up and tried to have sex with Hogan. Giant left with the title belt. ** (mainly for the post-match)” (WON 1995-11-06.)

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

quote:

Yetti isn't supposed to be a mummy but is supposed to be an abominable snowman from the Himalayas... It started as a great angle but turned into something campy in the worst way when the guy wrapped up in toilet paper showed up and tried to have sex with Hogan.

This is the greatest. It's not even an exaggeration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPPAVGJb5-w

YE-TAY!

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Saul Goode posted:

This is the greatest. It's not even an exaggeration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPPAVGJb5-w

YE-TAY!
THE YETTAY IS TALLER THAN THE GIANT

LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THE YETTAY

HE'S GOTTA BE SEVEN FEET EIGHT

I could watch that video forever, no exaggeration.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man I love Dave's work. If I had a grand I would buy from like 95 to 2004 in retro observers.

kuribo
Aug 2, 2003

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

thefncrow posted:

That may well have been kuribo. If I'm not mistaken and/or misremembering the username, that guy used to be on an old IRC channel I (and some others here on SA) used to hang out in, and I could swear that was something he did.

Yup, that was me. Head Priest of Yetimania, etc

Badstreet was the one that gave me the call in number for Madden's Pittsburgh show.

I asked Miss Elizabeth if she'd go out with me if I wore mummy bandages.

Lex Luger asked if the Yeti was something you'd find clinging to a boat.

Nash, Hall, and Waltman were extremely drunk and laughed about how "The Yeti was the ICON, man!"

Fit Finlay was the guest when Mean Gene told me to have AT&T burn my telephone for me.

I also once blasted Real American into the phone on the air. Mark Madden was not impressed.

I still maintain that Yetimania was the reason Internet Insiders stopped being a call in show. I also got lots of hate mail when the owner of Unistork's wrestling theme page decided he'd had enough of the scene and turned the site over to me so I could host Yetimania Online.

kuribo fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 10, 2012

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I'm still going through the year of Nitro's that was during 1999.

I'm watching one right now and I felt compelled to come in here and give some love for Lenny and Lodi, gently caress those guys played that gimmick well.

I also appreciated how the gimmick wasn't just 'lol! Gays wrasslin' the comedic aspect was that they were two gay guys who thought they were living this double life because of their secret when they were so poor at hiding it the only secret was that they didn't know everyone else did.

Maybe I'm just off because of how entertaining I find the characters but I always got the impression they were generally portrayed as loveable underdogs at least in the part where this aspect of the story was developing.

What ever happened to those guys post WCW?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

They both do indy stuff now. Apparently Lodi wrote this book too:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Brad-Cain/dp/1598580663

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Yet Jericho still does not have his loverboy video back.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lenny does a carny thing where he'll wrestle at your kid's birthday party or something.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

coconono posted:

Lenny does a carny thing where he'll wrestle at your kid's birthday party or something.

Which I think is an awesome idea but would probably work if the wrestlers imitated current wrestlers. I'm sure there's a guy Lenny Lane could pull off trying to be...

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Lone Rogue posted:

I'm sure there's a guy Lenny Lane could pull off

Lodi?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Lone Rogue posted:

Which I think is an awesome idea but would probably work if the wrestlers imitated current wrestlers. I'm sure there's a guy Lenny Lane could pull off trying to be...
That apparently happens in Mexico. Juan Cena and Fake Jeff Hardy are popular there.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

flashy_mcflash posted:

They both do indy stuff now. Apparently Lodi wrote this book too:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Brad-Cain/dp/1598580663

I remember see a show on TWC in the UK with Lodi on. He was doing a tongue-in-cheek Raven gimmick. It was pretty entertaining.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, Giant Gonzales was originally going to be the Yetay instead of Reese? Imagine how wonderful that would have been.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Perigryn posted:

Juan Cena

With or without the purple mask?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I really want to meet Vince Russo and ask him what his deal with women is.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

coconono posted:

I really want to meet Vince Russo and ask him what his deal with women is.

"I asked Sunny for a hug and she wouldn't give me one. I even covered myself in cocaine and she refused. gently caress sluts!"

Sikki Nixx
Sep 3, 2011

Whether you like it, or you don't like it, learn to love it! WOOOOO!

coconono posted:

He's also working on (or finished) a movie called "Jobbers: The Movie". It actually looked kinda funny, and I'd watch it if I could track it down.

Here's the website:
http://www.jobbersthemovie.com/

And here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHoBfujDJxI

The last website update said it was nearing completion...in April 2011.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
WWE.com put up a bunch of videos from the final WCW Nitro, as it was 11 years today that the final broadcast aired :911:

Never realized Vince fired Jeff Jarrett on the broadcast...

http://www.wwe.com/videos/playlists/final-monday-nitro-playlist

Booker T also talks about the last Monday Nitro in this article

http://www.wwe.com/classics/wcw/booker-t-recalls-final-nitro

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I wish that was on DVD.

That was a drat good show.

Sikki Nixx
Sep 3, 2011

Whether you like it, or you don't like it, learn to love it! WOOOOO!

Astro7x posted:

Never realized Vince fired Jeff Jarrett on the broadcast...

Probably my favorite part of the show. And that's coming from someone who marks out at anything Ric Flair does. And that goes double if Sting is involved.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hahahah, thank you for this. Vince McMahon firing Jeff Jarrett felt so amazingly beautiful and perfect. I think the people I was watching with were all laughing and high-fiving the fact that he finally got the recognition he deserved as "the worst possible person."

(I hear he is entertaining these days, though)

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Quarex posted:

(I hear he is entertaining these days, though)

You heard wrong.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

for all the times Ric Flair got robbed of his gold watch, you'd think he'd stop wearing the drat thing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

coconono posted:

for all the times Ric Flair got robbed of his gold watch, you'd think he'd stop wearing the drat thing.

For all the alimony that Ric Flair pays you think he would stop getting married.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

bobkatt013 posted:

For all the alimony that Ric Flair pays you think he would stop getting married.

touche.

So in the end, who's a bigger dummy? Sting or Ric Flair?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

coconono posted:

touche.

So in the end, who's a bigger dummy? Sting or Ric Flair?

Sting. Flair knows his marriages will crash and burn, he just enjoys the ride while it lasts. Sting always believes Hogan won't betray him. This time will be different, this time...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

Sting. Flair knows his marriages will crash and burn, he just enjoys the ride while it lasts. Sting always believes Hogan won't betray him. This time will be different, this time...

It is not just hogan who will betray him it is everybody.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

At least Flair, presumably, gets sex out of his endless parade of betrayal. What does Sting ever get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

At least Flair, presumably, gets sex out of his endless parade of betrayal. What does Sting ever get?

A bat to the skull and/or a beating. However he did have robocop save him that one time