Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Neurion posted:

So, I've been trying to recall a cartoon from my childhood that I can't for the life of me remember the title of, and I really want to rediscover it so to speak. I'm not sure if this would be the right thread for it, but the Identify a Film thread in Cinema Discusso probably isn't the right place as that's for films, so I'm asking here.

I want to say the show was on the air in the mid to late 90s in America, and it wasn't necessarily on cable (it may have been, I didn't have cable TV back then). From what I can remember, it took place in Vienna, Austria, and may have been in a dystopian future. The main characters included at least a boy, with blond hair I think, and flying goggles; a piano that could talk and fly; and other musical-related characters. The big bad was some angry pompous man in a wig who hated music or something, and he lived in a really tall tower. He might've been someone important, like a despot or dictator or something. He may or may not have also been in cahoots with a giant evil jukebox/pipe organ, or I might be misremembering that.

Anyone have any idea what I might be talking about?

This maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Neurion posted:

So, I've been trying to recall a cartoon from my childhood that I can't for the life of me remember the title of, and I really want to rediscover it so to speak. I'm not sure if this would be the right thread for it, but the Identify a Film thread in Cinema Discusso probably isn't the right place as that's for films, so I'm asking here.

I want to say the show was on the air in the mid to late 90s in America, and it wasn't necessarily on cable (it may have been, I didn't have cable TV back then). From what I can remember, it took place in Vienna, Austria, and may have been in a dystopian future. The main characters included at least a boy, with blond hair I think, and flying goggles; a piano that could talk and fly; and other musical-related characters. The big bad was some angry pompous man in a wig who hated music or something, and he lived in a really tall tower. He might've been someone important, like a despot or dictator or something. He may or may not have also been in cahoots with a giant evil jukebox/pipe organ, or I might be misremembering that.

Anyone have any idea what I might be talking about?

Holy poo poo, why do I remember this so vividly?

EDIT: Oscar's Orchestra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBTO2VaPQZI

I always thought I made this cartoon up. I guess I needed your post to remember.
Now to figure out what American channel this came on because I don't think my family had cable in 1998.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Holy poo poo, why do I remember this so vividly?

EDIT: Oscar's Orchestra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBTO2VaPQZI

I always thought I made this cartoon up. I guess I needed your post to remember.
Now to figure out what American channel this came on because I don't think my family had cable in 1998.

YES. That was one! Thank you both so much! :D

Ah, the nostalgia~ It's all coming back now!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh boy did I not like that show. The BBC at the time had a massive to-do with European Cartoons (less Wakfu and Oban and more Totaly Spies level) that couldn't quite decide if they were deadly serious or frivolous nonsense which often lead to moments where you weren't sure if you were supposed to laugh for fear of something deadly serious slapping you in the face if you did.

Which is a shame, because the bad guy's voice actor (Colin McFarlane) was great and the Reticence Punk thing could have worked better if it had a grip on if it wanted to be a serious show or it wanted to go full daft bastard.

That said, if I ever see Albert the 5th Musketeer or Noah's Island again, I will separate the UK from the EU with the Gusto of a million UKIP members.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
:siren:Wakfu Kickstarter has reached it's 200k stretch goal. $40 Canadian ($35 /£22 / 27€) will now net you both seasons on BluRay with English Dub, original French audio with subtitles and both volumes of the post season "manga" comic on Comixology. (Shipping is free!)
:siren:

This is bonkers value! For comparison that's how much one half of Cowboy Bebop BR is going for in the UK!

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 5, 2014

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So, I just finished the first season of Scooby-Doo!: Mystery Incorporated and...wow! What a great show! And I say that as someone who normally hates Scooby-Doo and everything to do with him!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

So, I just finished the first season of Scooby-Doo!: Mystery Incorporated and...wow! What a great show! And I say that as someone who normally hates Scooby-Doo and everything to do with him!

I haven't watched enough of that show but watching it is a baffling experience because it's Scooby Doo, yet it's well written and I'm enjoying it. I really like it but watching it confuses my brain.

Also, really late in saying this but I thought that Powerpuff special was pretty good, but ironically not that special. I liked the animation alot but plotwise it just felt like a normal episode of the Powerpuff Girls. While this isn't a bad thing it's also weird that they resurrected the franchise to tell this story that I'd probably would barely be able to remember if it were part of the original run of the show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Phylodox posted:

You ain't seen nothin' yet. Season two is where it goes balls-to-the-wall crazy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm having trouble imagining anything crazier than a talking parrot played by Udo Kier.

Also, I really enjoyed Scrappy and Flim-Flam's "cameos".

EDIT: Also, the sheer genius of casting Jeffrey "Herbert West" Combs as the H. P. Lovecraft parody. And Harlan Ellison!

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 2, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Seriously, you haven't seen anything yet. That show gets loving nuts.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I can think of at least 5 crazier things than the parrot in season 2.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Mysteries Inc. is so great. It's like if The Venture Bros was an actual Johnny Quest reboot.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I just really like how they took the (as I remember them) pretty one-note, boring characters from the original Scooby-Doo cartoons and gave them little twists that actually mad them interesting. I mean, my favorite character in Mystery Incorporated was Fred. Fred. The most boringest, one-notiest character in the show and they made him interesting and compelling! I was pretty sure they were going to just stick with the "dumb, really likes traps" thing (which would still be more interesting than old-school Fred), but they slowly built him up to be (for me, at least) the most interesting guy in the show.

Also, they made fan favorite Velma kind of a bitch and a horrible girlfriend. I really appreciated that.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Also I like how Matthew Lillard reprises his role as Shaggy, while his dad is Casey Kasem.

I really love the voice cast, I mean you can't go wrong with Warburton, but Gary Cole? That's awesome, did they ever make a Harvey Birdman joke/reference?

Phylodox posted:

I'm having trouble imagining anything crazier than a talking parrot played by Udo Kier.

Also, I really enjoyed Scrappy and Flim-Flam's "cameos".

EDIT: Also, the sheer genius of casting Jeffrey "Herbert West" Combs as the H. P. Lovecraft parody. And Harlan Ellison!
Plus the HP Lovecraft parody's biggest fan is named Howard E. Roberts

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I think Birdman is the only character from the Hanna-Barbera canon that doesn't appear on Mystery Inc.

Phylodox posted:

Also, they made fan favorite Velma kind of a bitch and a horrible girlfriend. I really appreciated that.

Let us know when you've finished season 2, I want to know what you think of Velma then. You'll understand when you get there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Man, I don't even know when season 2 is coming out on Netflix. We just got season 1 so, y'know...it's gonna be a while.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
If ever. Cartoon Network has a serious hard-on for NOT uploading the rest of their poo poo on Netflix for some reason.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Thompsons posted:

If ever. Cartoon Network has a serious hard-on for NOT uploading the rest of their poo poo on Netflix for some reason.

Yeah, most everything only has one season available, even the older shows. I think like Dexter's Lab and maybe PPG have more than one season but not the entire run (Which in dexter's case is fine since they only have the original run on there and not the two post-Ego Trip seasons.)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Thompsons posted:

What makes it even more weird is that Adult Swim seems to have embraced the digital model and has put the entire seasons of The Eric Andre Show and Eagleheart on YouTube as well as putting up episodes of Rick and Morty as soon as they air.

It's just frustrating because Cartoon Network rarely if ever gives shows proper DVD releases, instead opting for grab-bag releases (like, say, a bunch of Halloween episodes or episodes about a specific character) because they sell better with kids. But when it comes to streaming they dump the first season online then tell you to buy the DVDs for the rest :ughh:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Trailer for Sonic Boom has been released, and it looks kinda terrible. Sonic's running animation is pretty bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dm-AFKUmFw

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Really? I thought it was okay. I mean, I'm not that amused, but I am not its target demographic and the sillier jokes will work better for younger kids. (I guess I could be the demographic of a Sonic cartoon theoretically since I like Sonic games, but if pandering to nerds is all it took to get a show made, we'd be awash in shows for every game franchise made from the last 20 years) I agree about the running animation though. Like, he's supposed to be going fast, but his feet don't really seem to be... moving fast. I guess they can't turn his feet into a wheel like the Genesis games with the CGI, but there's gotta be a better way to really convey GO FAST.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 7, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Look the show is gonna be great and here is why:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/6/5387144/sonic-boom-animated-tv-series-toy-line-sega

quote:

Marchello Churchill, senior director of marketing Sega of America, says Sonic Boom will be "vastly different form any Sonic series we've done in the past." Executive producer Evan Bailey said the animated series will "put [Sonic the Hedgehog characters] in situations where their personalities and relationships will take center stage." For example, in one episode, Sonic will fire Tails as his assistant, with the hedgehog's longtime nemesis, Dr. Eggman, applying for the job. In another, Eggman fakes an injury and takes Sonic the Hedgehog to court.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I would watch a Teen Titans Go with Sonic in it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

horriblePencilist posted:

Trailer for Sonic Boom has been released, and it looks kinda terrible. Sonic's running animation is pretty bad.

That running animation is pretty bad yeah, but as far as CG cartoons go they could do much worse.

Why do so many of these things take place in the desert though? Just as an excuse to not have to render backgrounds?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

That running animation is pretty bad yeah, but as far as CG cartoons go they could do much worse.

Why do so many of these things take place in the desert though? Just as an excuse to not have to render backgrounds?

Probably. No trees or shadows to have to animate, just make some mesas and canyons and a pretty sky and you're good to go.

I wouldn't worry too much about the series taking place entirely in the desert though. I mean, it's Sonic, gotta have some sort of Green Hill Zone.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

raditts posted:

It's gonna be Roadrunner shorts with Sonic :getin:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I chuckled to the Egghead bit and the Burnbot, it's gonna be nice to see Sonic and Eggman get into new dumb arguments every week.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I will never, never, never get used to calling him Eggman.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Am I wrong, or is Eggman's voice the same as the Soldier in Team Fortress 2?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doodles posted:

Am I wrong, or is Eggman's voice the same as the Soldier in Team Fortress 2?

Nope. Eggman is Mike Pollock, Soldier is Rick May.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

It looks... OKish. The visuals are decent by TV CG standards and the burnbot joke kind of worked. That said though there were little things all over that trailer that just screamed "I DON'T HAVE A GOOD GRASP OF WHAT'S FUNNY OR INTERESTING". It probably won't be Johnny Test bad, but I don't see it being worth my TIVO space either.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Those are some weird redesigns. I mean, it's not like the original Sonic character designs were all that great, but the new ones aren't that great either.

Also Sonic sounds like he's graduated college and Tails sounds like he's graduated kindergarten. What's up with that?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tails has always been a small child. Is that what you mean?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't know, it just seems like every time Tails appears he's younger, and it's starting to get weird now that Sonic sounds like an adult. I think he used to be just a couple years younger than Sonic.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

In Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog, Tails was four and a half years old, and all of the other Sonic media didn't have Long John Baldry so they don't really matter.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

he died

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
The pilot for new Powerpuff Girls show was pretty great. Sometimes the visuals get kinda confusing, but it's looks just so drat pretty.

To see more, check out Kevin Dart's tumblr (The guy also worked on Steven Universe, Randy Cunningham and Sym-Bionic Titan)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The pilot for new Powerpuff Girls show was pretty great. Sometimes the visuals get kinda confusing, but it's looks just so drat pretty.

To see more, check out Kevin Dart's tumblr (The guy also worked on Steven Universe, Randy Cunningham and Sym-Bionic Titan)

Wait, that special was actually a pilot? Cool.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

TwoPair posted:

Wait, that special was actually a pilot? Cool.

Oh wait, it was just a special. I really thought it was a new show, dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Ah man, you gave my hopes up.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make the special to test the waters to see how viable it would be to resurrect the franchise, but I have no actual evidence that that's the case. It just seems odd to bring back a long dead show with a brand new animation style and redesigned characters to just do a half an hour episode that that doesn't really have a plot that sticks out from a normal episode of the show (other than having a former Beatle in it).