Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I bought lettuce for a salad. But it's about 10x more than I can eat. What's the best way to keep lettuce fresh?

Can I vacuum-seal it? I have a vacuum food saver thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

razz posted:

I bought lettuce for a salad. But it's about 10x more than I can eat. What's the best way to keep lettuce fresh?

Wash it, drain it, wrap it loosely in paper towel and put it in your fridge. It's not really possible to make it last very long.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

dino. posted:

There is the option of that one Provençal pesto soup:

http://www.atfirstglass.com/2010/07/soupe-au-pistou-au-midwest-la-mesdames.html

It's quite easy to adapt for winter veg, as you can switch out the courgette for pumpkin (I used kabocha). Instead of the green beans, I used frozen peas, with no problems at all. Leave out the Parmesan cheese, and ease back on the olive oil to about 1 TB, if you're looking for something lighter. I subbed out a bit of water for the olive oil. It really doesn't need all of it.

It ends up being very comforting on a cold winter night.
Gonna totally do this. This sounds like a great change, thanks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

razz posted:

If you don't mind being gross, store it in a ziploc bag and breathe into it right before closing it up. The extra carbon dioxide will slow down the wilting of the salad.

WHen the salad is slightly wilted, dunking it into cold water for 5 minutes before serving will make it slightly crisper.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Steve Yun posted:

WHen the salad is slightly wilted, dunking it into cold water for 5 minutes before serving will make it slightly crisper.

This trick totally works for celery too. I love snacking on raw celery but my fridge doesn't treat it well, it always goes limp and rubbery after a couple days. I just wash it, cut it into celery sticks, and put it in a bowl of ice water for about 10 minutes or so and it becomes perfectly crisp. I imagine it'd work for a lot of different veggies.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003

Semprini posted:

There's your trouble. If I'm baking a loaf with 500g flour, I'll generally use about 7-8g of yeast.

I had no idea.. All the recipes I've read says "use one packet of dry yeast" which is 50 grams, and I always use the whole packet. I'll try less and see what happens! Thanks.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Randomity posted:

This trick totally works for celery too. I love snacking on raw celery but my fridge doesn't treat it well, it always goes limp and rubbery after a couple days. I just wash it, cut it into celery sticks, and put it in a bowl of ice water for about 10 minutes or so and it becomes perfectly crisp. I imagine it'd work for a lot of different veggies.

No fridge treats celery well. The downstairs level of our house is always like 55 degrees F and celery lasts forever on the counter compared to the fridge.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

zapateria posted:

I had no idea.. All the recipes I've read says "use one packet of dry yeast" which is 50 grams, and I always use the whole packet. I'll try less and see what happens! Thanks.

Chances are you're misreading this or buying huge packets I've never even seen before, because the normal grocery-store packets of active dry yeast usually have 2 to 2.5 teaspoons of yeast, roughly 7 grams or so.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No kidding. A jar of yeast is only 113 grams. And it even says equivalent to 16 packets.

I rarely even use 7 grams of yeast when baking. A batch of pizza dough gets 1tsp at most, even less if I have more time.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Steve Yun posted:

If you don't mind being gross, store it in a ziploc bag and breathe into it right before closing it up. The extra carbon dioxide will slow down the wilting of the salad.

Whoa, really? What if I breathed into the bag for a long time until it was mostly carbon dioxide and then zipped it up? Would that make it last even longer?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Agent 99 posted:

What should I do with 150g frozen spinach that's thawed? (I'm aware this isn't the most appealing ingredient.) I used half the pack to prepare stuffing for chicken breasts, and I'm too cheap to throw the rest away. Any ideas?

Gonna throw my vote behind a quiche or saag paneer.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

razz posted:

Whoa, really? What if I breathed into the bag for a long time until it was mostly carbon dioxide and then zipped it up? Would that make it last even longer?

Diminishing returns, once or twice is probably 80% of the good you'll do. Alternatively, get a CO2 dispenser for bottling/recorking wine (used to displace the oxygen out of the airgap at the top of the bottle so it won't oxidize the wine).

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
A few years ago there was a thread about homemeade pretzels. It has since gone to archives and is not featured on the wiki, could someone please pull up the recipe for me? TIA.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
From our own dino., in the vegan thread: http://altveg.blogspot.com/2011/11/philly-style-soft-pretzels.html

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I've got a hankering for a flavorful, light vegetarian soup. Not spicy. The last three soups I've made have been quite rich, thick, and in two cases spicy. I would like a brief change.

What's a good recipe for something along these lines? Anything will do; I've got access to lots of ingredients.

Parsnip soup with smoked paprika topping.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why is the bread at Jimmy Johns or Subway so drat bad? It gets so dry on the outside and crumbles apart at Subway, and it just gets rock hard at Jimmy Johns. Is that just the air hitting it and drying it out, or are they saving 2 cents a loaf by doing something different that causes it to turn to poo poo so fast. For supposedly baking it fresh all day it's almost always bad.

This deli near me gets their bread from a local bakery and it's never dry or hard.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Why is the bread at Jimmy Johns or Subway so drat bad? It gets so dry on the outside and crumbles apart at Subway, and it just gets rock hard at Jimmy Johns. Is that just the air hitting it and drying it out, or are they saving 2 cents a loaf by doing something different that causes it to turn to poo poo so fast. For supposedly baking it fresh all day it's almost always bad.

This deli near me gets their bread from a local bakery and it's never dry or hard.

I've never heard of Jimmy Johns, but Subway sucks because people don't actually like texture so they make the bread full of additives that make it soft. Bread should have flour, water, salt, yeast and maybe some sort of mix-in like cheese, nuts, etc. Check out subways: http://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/usProdIngredients.pdf

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GrAviTy84 posted:

I've never heard of Jimmy Johns, but Subway sucks because people don't actually like texture so they make the bread full of additives that make it soft. Bread should have flour, water, salt, yeast and maybe some sort of mix-in like cheese, nuts, etc. Check out subways: http://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/usProdIngredients.pdf

Those are the same ingredients that are in Wonder Bread or any other supermarket bread and those taste fine (they don't taste like homemade bread but they aren't rock hard or crumbly). I wonder if they get dried out in the oven by being in there too long or what.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Bob Morales posted:

I wonder if they get dried out in the oven by the "food assemblers" or what.

I was going to say "cooks" but, welp. Subway is at the forefront of eliminating chemistry and physics from the meal-making process.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I've been slogging through the diet and nutrition megathread, and someone posted that venison contains more natural creatine than beef or other farm-raised animals because they are very active and animals raised for food are not. Since I'm going to start lifting weights next week in order to be less of a scrawny useless girl, this interests me.

I've searched through some online journal databases and can't seem to find a study on this. Does anyone have more information?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I am cooking for the girlfriend on Valentine's Day, and was planning a dry run of things for tonight. Two of the dishes will have proscuitto. I would assume I am getting the slices rather than a hunk because I am poor and won't be using a lot.

How long will this last?? Should I delay a test run until Saturday perhaps? Also, is there any special means of storing it?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I am cooking for the girlfriend on Valentine's Day, and was planning a dry run of things for tonight. Two of the dishes will have proscuitto. I would assume I am getting the slices rather than a hunk because I am poor and won't be using a lot.

How long will this last?? Should I delay a test run until Saturday perhaps? Also, is there any special means of storing it?

If you're getting slices of it from the deli you should use it the day you get it. If you get it in little vacuum sealed packages, it will keep for a while, provided you keep it sealed.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Thanks for the quick response!

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.
How long does home-cooked fried rice last for? I heard once a long time ago that rice isn't supposed to be kept longer than a day because it can get some kind of bacteria that causes food poisoning (? something like that) but not sure if this applies to fried rice? It was steamed rice which was cooled and put in the fridge then fried the next day with veggies, egg, oil, and seasoning. I made a bigger batch than intended and have lots of leftovers.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Camembert posted:

How long does home-cooked fried rice last for? I heard once a long time ago that rice isn't supposed to be kept longer than a day because it can get some kind of bacteria that causes food poisoning (? something like that) but not sure if this applies to fried rice? It was steamed rice which was cooled and put in the fridge then fried the next day with veggies, egg, oil, and seasoning. I made a bigger batch than intended and have lots of leftovers.

It lasts until your nose and eyes tell you not to eat it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
At least 3-4 days and maybe up to a week. You can always freeze it too, cooked rice reanimates pretty well.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I got some lobster tail and I'm thinking about butter poaching it. All recipes online involve making a beurre monte with unsalted butter; will it affect the cooking if I use salted? Alternatively, what are some other ways to cook it with an oven and range?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

How long is it reasonable to keep home-pickled pork in the fridge?

Kenning fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 10, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Camembert posted:

I've never had a problem with rice that's even 3 or 4 days old.

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.
Thanks for all the rice info guys, guess that bacteria thing was just a myth or something!

VVV oh whoops, thanks for the clarification!

Camembert fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 10, 2012

Tazolol
Jan 15, 2010
No it's real. The bacteria is Bacillus cereus, but it won't grow if you store your rice properly. You should be fine.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
And when rice goes bad it will STINK. More than you thought was possible from rice... So don't forget it in the back of your fridge!

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!
Hello GWS, Valentine's Day approaches and I have rashly declared that I will prepare beef wellington. To that end, I need a Beef Wellington recipe. I've watched the Gordon Ramsay video so the basic principle isn't foreign to me, but some more concrete direction would be liked.
Any suggestions of a good side to go along with it would be appreciated as well!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'm looking for a good book / website for Mexican cooking. I live in short distance to a bunch of good Mexican markets, but I don't know what to do with a tomatillo or dried chilis.

Im a decent home cook, doesn't need to be too basic, but techniques as well as well as recipes is what I'm looking for.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

Ron Jeremy posted:

I'm looking for a good book / website for Mexican cooking. I live in short distance to a bunch of good Mexican markets, but I don't know what to do with a tomatillo or dried chilis.

Im a decent home cook, doesn't need to be too basic, but techniques as well as well as recipes is what I'm looking for.

Anything by Rick bayless. His recipes really go from easy and familiar to complex and way out from left field, so you are always progressing through his books. He really goes into depths about ingredients and technique so after a while you really learn how to improvise.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

In regards to rice, I've let it sit in a covered pot for a day or two and have just scooped right out of that and eaten it to no ill effect ever.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

razz posted:

I've been slogging through the diet and nutrition megathread, and someone posted that venison contains more natural creatine than beef or other farm-raised animals because they are very active and animals raised for food are not. Since I'm going to start lifting weights next week in order to be less of a scrawny useless girl, this interests me.

I've searched through some online journal databases and can't seem to find a study on this. Does anyone have more information?

Venison is high-grade meat and excellent nutrition for athletes but I'm not sure if any increased creatine levels will have that much impact for you if you're starting out. Creatine supplementation, in my experience, takes a good deal of sweat before you start to notice the effects. If you want to add creatine to your program I'd go for a supplement and follow a supplementation plan, which is what you need to do to maintain an elevated level for a long period.

Anything else of "functional foods" thinking is in my book just a bonus and I don't really bother that much. The exception is chocolate milk, which is pure medicine and restores your body like nothing else.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

Do you want 'Mexican food' or Tex-Mex?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

Anything else of "functional foods" thinking is in my book just a bonus and I don't really bother that much. The exception is chocolate milk, which is pure medicine and restores your body like nothing else.

:unsmith: Darn right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Do you want 'Mexican food' or Tex-Mex?

My taste buds are calibrated around california taquiera, but I want to try new things. I have small children, so I can get too adventurous.