Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jurgan posted:

I had actually forgotten that John Peters- you know, the farmer?- had spoken before. It was Pamela's first voiced appearance, though, right? Those two were the highlight of the episode. "Cecil, I am looking directly at the sun."

One of their hiatus episodes was a clip from their new live show featuring (I believe) that actress as Pamela.

quote:

I also feel like a new arc is starting, with Cecil subtly provoking resistance to the City Council the same way he did against Strex. Apparently his reporting about the Dog Park and the world inside it started a protest movement. He plays it off as "oops, me and my big mouth," but I wonder if he was deliberately feeding information to the populace.

I could see this as a development, particularly since the first new episode involved helping his niece rob the city records office by providing disinformation on the air. I could see Cecil coming out of his dissatisfaction and frustration over the last year determined to change Night Vale for the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Awesome show in Manchester yesterday, btw.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

TinTower posted:

Yeah, I had a great time there as well (although I got super scared when Cecil pointed in my general direction for one of the participatory bits )

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Also, the Intern Joseph Fink scene was hilarious.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 25, 2015

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TinTower posted:

thanks that was imo the best show of the tour so far. pretty much fell in love with the city instantly as well.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

My friends baby has taken ill, so I have a spare ticket to tonight's performance at the Union Chapel - message me if you are interested.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Does anyone have a setlist of what Jason Webley has been playing on the tour? I'm always interested in how much new stuff he's performing as I live in eternal hope of a new album one day.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

cptn_dr posted:

Does anyone have a setlist of what Jason Webley has been playing on the tour? I'm always interested in how much new stuff he's performing as I live in eternal hope of a new album one day.

1. Two Banks of the River
2. Letter to John Shriner
3. Pyramid
4. Promise to the Moon
5. Last Song
6 ("Weather"). Icarus

I know he's got a couple of newer tunes that are not recorded because he plays them sometimes during soundcheck (but not, so far, in the shows). They are very good and I will keep bugging him about recording them. Also after the WTNV tour he is continuing on to Europe and doing a bunch of solo shows on his way to Moscow, so if you live in Europe you might catch some new tunes if you see him there.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 29, 2015

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh man, that's a great bunch of songs.
I'm in New Zealand, so I don't think I'll get to see him again for a few years, but I was lucky enough to catch him when he was here earlier this year.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

For those there last night - what time did the show start? A friend is worried they'll be later than 7.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

docbeard posted:

One of their hiatus episodes was a clip from their new live show featuring (I believe) that actress as Pamela.

I could see this as a development, particularly since the first new episode involved helping his niece rob the city records office by providing disinformation on the air. I could see Cecil coming out of his dissatisfaction and frustration over the last year determined to change Night Vale for the better.

Now I want to see Cecil's friends sitting him down for an intervention because he's addicted to rebellions.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I saw a recommendation this morning on a website saying the new podcast limetown was really good and that it hits the same kind of notes that WTNV does. Has anyone listened to it yet? I've downloaded the first episode to listen to at the gym later.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

For those there last night - what time did the show start? A friend is worried they'll be later than 7.

In Manchester, Jason Webley came on about 8:15pm and the show itself started about 8:40pm. Meg was doing the proverb just as it turned 10pm.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Slaan posted:

I saw a recommendation this morning on a website saying the new podcast limetown was really good and that it hits the same kind of notes that WTNV does. Has anyone listened to it yet? I've downloaded the first episode to listen to at the gym later.

It's alright. I like that it's framed as like a real world broadcast and not part of this strange magical town. The first episode does a very good job of setting up the feeling that this could have happened in a slightly more scifi world, that these events could be real

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Slaan posted:

Just imagine Serial but instead of investigating an old murder, they were investigating the disappearance of a whole research facility/community and all the people in it. It seems like it is going in a strong sci fi direction, which seems promising.

In practice, I don't really get much WTNV from it. Instead of the folksy weird community-radio-from-the-Twilight-Zone vibe that Nightvale has, it's a faux NPR investigation into some sci fi stuff. It's going to be a limited story so its very focused. It's not much of a spoiler to say that if the end of the second episode is any indication, it's going to be more sinister than WTNV usually gets.

If you enjoyed Serial and think it would be cool if the story was sci fi, you'd probably like it. I think its cool. There is also the Black Tapes Podcast which seemed like Serial + Ghosts, but I wasn't a huge fan of the voice acting in that one. The writing seemed strong, though.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Earwicker posted:

6 ("Weather"). Icarus

Excellent choice of Weather. I love this song.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Astounding show tonight! Union Chapel pews are murder. Well done everyone.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ChetReckless posted:

In practice, I don't really get much WTNV from it. Instead of the folksy weird community-radio-from-the-Twilight-Zone vibe that Nightvale has, it's a faux NPR investigation into some sci fi stuff. It's going to be a limited story so its very focused. It's not much of a spoiler to say that if the end of the second episode is any indication, it's going to be more sinister than WTNV usually gets.

Hopefully, unlike Serial, it actually has an ending.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

HopperUK posted:

Astounding show tonight! Union Chapel pews are murder. Well done everyone.

I heard that if you are a member of the church you can get a cushion and blanket. no idea how much membership costs, and they probably still won't let you bring alcohol into the chapel.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Earwicker posted:

I heard that if you are a member of the church you can get a cushion and blanket. no idea how much membership costs, and they probably still won't let you bring alcohol into the chapel.

Theocracy keeping the people down again!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I find the stance a bit confusing, given how many great alcoholic drinks were invented by priests

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Earwicker posted:

I picked this up on the way out:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lone Goat posted:

Hopefully, unlike Serial, it actually has an ending.

i think serial not having a real ending was inevitable, short of finding a smoking gun that either proved adnan's innocence or proved his guilt, conclusively. at the end of the day, the show ended the way it started: not knowing what the gently caress actually happened

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Night Vale is leaking :allears:

http://www.theonion.com/article/federal-government-adds-600000-acres-national-forb-51446

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I started out on both Limetown and Black Tapes and both have been pretty solid so far. Really looking forward to what Limetown can do, since they're foreshadowing some pretty weird stuff.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Echophonic posted:

I started out on both Limetown and Black Tapes and both have been pretty solid so far. Really looking forward to what Limetown can do, since they're foreshadowing some pretty weird stuff.

too bad it was like, two months between the first two episodes

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
That was the most distressing horoscope I've had in a long time.

Transcendent
Jun 24, 2002

Dimloep posted:

That was the most distressing horoscope I've had in a long time.

Being a Scorpio, my WTNV horoscopes are always pretty distressing. (gently caress you, Steve Carlsberg)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Honestly, this is the first time I heard a Night Vale episode and thought "No Seriously, What the gently caress just happened?" Is everyone dead? Are we broadcasting from inside the Narrow Place from now on? Is this a two parter? Is there going to be a second part to this? Will the next episode pretend that the Marathon just didn't happen and move on? But it was a good episode. I will never get tired of Cecil being Cecil.

Also, you all better be donating to Night Vale. :colbert:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
There was something deeply unsettling about The Distant Prince. The obvious ending for the episode was to kill off a few interns, but that didn't happen. As far as we know, no one died or was even in physical danger, yet most of them were terrified to enter. That plus Cecil's closing speech made me think people were somehow changed at the level of their minds or souls. The last time we saw that happen was with The Smiling God. I wonder if they're building up a Lovecraftian pantheon.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, you all better be donating to Night Vale. :colbert:

Then they should set up a Patreon.

Motley
Nov 1, 2013
Wow, I just started listening to this and I absolutely can't stop. I've laughed harder than I have in a while during the first 10 episodes. Just read that a novel is coming out too, I'm pretty interested in how it is going to read.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Echophonic posted:

Limetown is seriously giving me chills. I wish episode 3 would come out soon.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I'm getting into Wolf 359, which is kind of "Night Vale in Space." The first few episodes are a bit weak, but once I got to episode four I was hooked.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Jurgan posted:

There was something deeply unsettling about The Distant Prince. The obvious ending for the episode was to kill off a few interns, but that didn't happen. As far as we know, no one died or was even in physical danger, yet most of them were terrified to enter. That plus Cecil's closing speech made me think people were somehow changed at the level of their minds or souls. The last time we saw that happen was with The Smiling God. I wonder if they're building up a Lovecraftian pantheon.

You changed in mind, body and soul after posting this.

You changed again after reading this reply.

You will change yet another time when you scroll past it to read the next replies in the thread.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

SalTheBard posted:

Limetown is seriously giving me chills. I wish episode 3 would come out soon.

Yeah me too. The ending to episode 2 kept me up at night.

To show how bright I was, I actually thought it was real until half way through episode 1.

Edit: With stuff like Night Vale, something is happening with Podcasts that I always hoped would happen: The revival of audio dramas.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 8, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah me too. The ending to episode 2 kept me up at night.

To show how bright I was, I actually thought it was real until half way through episode 1.

Edit: With stuff like Night Vale, something is happening with Podcasts that I always hoped would happen: The revival of audio dramas.

i just wish more of them would do something that isn't RADIO SHOW BUT SPOOOOOOOKY

but barring that, what's some other good ones? limetown's good, black tapes is a'ight, kakos industries is butts, what else is out there

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Lore has been pretty interesting. Just looking into weird little legends and monster sightings. It also let me know next time I visit my friend in Rhode Island I need to go see the grave marker of America's first witch!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
FYI, the next episode of Limetown comes out Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

AstroZamboni posted:

FYI, the next episode of Limetown comes out Monday.

And it was awesome. Sorry for the Limetown post. Night Vale is awesome too!