Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

silence_kit posted:

Actually, this is done all of the time in electronics to reject radio interference in cables. You probably own multiple cables with crystals (well, the material is polycrystalline, not single crystalline) attached to them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

No, this is not done all of the time in electronics. It doesn't reject poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Phanatic posted:

No, this is not done all of the time in electronics. It doesn't reject poo poo.

I'm just saying that attaching ferrite crystals to cables is actually done all of the time in electronics. To someone who doesn't know very much about electronics, it sounds stupid like the $800 wood block thing in the link, but it's actually very common.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

silence_kit posted:

I'm just saying that attaching ferrite crystals to cables is actually done all of the time in electronics. To someone who doesn't know very much about electronics, it sounds stupid like the $800 wood block thing in the link, but it's actually very common.

Ferrite chokes aren't made from crystalline ferrite - it's a ceramic ferrous material.

E: more importantly, the reason they work is because they're ferromagnetic, not because of any crystalline structure.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

silence_kit posted:

Yes but taping a bag of random rocks to your audio jack is not going to make anything sound better.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Kalman posted:

Ferrite chokes aren't made from crystalline ferrite - it's a ceramic ferrous material.

E: more importantly, the reason they work is because they're ferromagnetic, not because of any crystalline structure.

In my first post on the subject, I said that ferrite is probably polycrystalline.

Yes, a big reason why ferrites are popular in electronics is because they are strongly magnetic. I never attributed the use of ferrites to their phase. Unlike many magnetic materials, many types of ferrites aren't very good conductors of electricity. This second property is also a huge reason why they are so popular.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 19, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

silence_kit posted:

Actually, this is done all of the time in electronics to reject radio interference in cables. You probably own multiple cables with crystals (well, the material is polycrystalline, not single crystalline) attached to them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

We're not talking about actual attachment to cables though, scammy poo poo like this is placed next to the cables in a little box or a little baggie. And it's very likely that the scam crystals are not magnetic

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This is a shielded cable. It's suited for a variety of tasks but in my field we tend to use it either for control signals or 3 phase motors hooked up to a frequency modulator. It basically works by creating a faraday cage around the wires to keep out signal noise. In a signal cable it's useful if you're running signals next to power cables since the 'noise' can cause errant signals to manifest create ghost signals that would interfere in a PLC controlled system. With frequency modulators it's used to protect everything around it since they create a fuckton of noise.

Crucially, they only work if the metal shield is hooked up to an earth on both ends so hooking up any kind of extra around an audio cable is going to do gently caress and all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Demiurge4 posted:

This is a shielded cable. It's suited for a variety of tasks but in my field we tend to use it either for control signals or 3 phase motors hooked up to a frequency modulator. It basically works by creating a faraday cage around the wires to keep out signal noise. In a signal cable it's useful if you're running signals next to power cables since the 'noise' can cause errant signals to manifest create ghost signals that would interfere in a PLC controlled system. With frequency modulators it's used to protect everything around it since they create a fuckton of noise.

Crucially, they only work if the metal shield is hooked up to an earth on both ends so hooking up any kind of extra around an audio cable is going to do gently caress and all.

A lot of audio cables are cheap and unshielded.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Ferrite chokes on shielded cables are used to account for non-idealities (like unequal return current) that can result in an outer-skin common mode high frequency current. They're less common there but they do actually serve a function.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

A lot of audio cables are cheap and unshielded.

Sure, but that doesn't make exterior gadgets anything more than useless. The only way to protect an unshielded cable is to run it alone.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Demiurge4 posted:

Sure, but that doesn't make exterior gadgets anything more than useless. The only way to protect an unshielded cable is to run it alone.

True. And ferrite chokes do very little to audio signals I suspect...

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
As the son of a ham radio operator who enjoyed using his computer and listening to music as a kid, I assure you ferrite chokes are at least somewhat effective.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

True. And ferrite chokes do very little to audio signals I suspect...

A big enough one will.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kalman posted:

A big enough one will.

:colbert: We're talking about your average choke. Not a huge fuckoff choke.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

:colbert: We're talking about your average choke. Not a huge fuckoff choke.

Definitely - a normal choke won't affect audio.

A huge fuckoff choke will kill just about anything.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kalman posted:

Definitely - a normal choke won't affect audio.

A huge fuckoff choke will kill just about anything.

Naturally.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pander posted:

Which shouldn't be a problem, since methane isn't a byproduct of burning natural gas.

Leaks however, yeah, wow. That leak in CA is gutwrenching.

It's possible it's been resolved by now (unlikely, but I last read about this a month or two ago), but the Barnett Shale operations in Texas are releasing more methane per hour than the leak in CA.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
My PhD just burst into flames while reading this stupid derail.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I have some crystals you can tape to your PhD that will help with that. $500 a pop

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
There's never a bad time to learn about audio cables.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ANIME AKBAR posted:

You can always go to your e-mail and print off another one

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

QuarkJets posted:

You can always go to your e-mail and print off another one

No you see my PhD was forged from paper from the mightiest Sequoia of Yosemite and inked with noble metals of the greatest purity. It silently hovers five feet above the floor and resonates at a perfect 440Hz.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Burning PHD dude you should call up your nearest energy research facility and let them know that you're going to listen to this because I think it might unlock the secret of sustained fusion via your PHD.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Anos posted:

There's never a bad time to learn about audio cables.

Or to make choke jokes.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

ANIME AKBAR posted:

All I did is say that the idea of attaching stuff to the outside of cables to improve signal integrity is actually not a such a bad idea after all. In fact, it is such a good idea that many of the cables that you use in consumer electronics have ferrite beads on them.

Then, as is common in this thread, posters misconstrued my post and replied with a bunch of knee-jerk responses because on its face my post violated the Dogma of Internet Science Fanboyism.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

silence_kit posted:

All I did is say that the idea of attaching stuff to the outside of cables to improve signal integrity is actually not a such a bad idea after all. In fact, it is such a good idea that many of the cables that you use in consumer electronics have ferrite beads on them.

Then, as is common in this thread, posters misconstrued my post and replied with a bunch of knee-jerk responses because on its face my post violated the Dogma of Internet Science Fanboyism.

It's because you said that in reaction to people talking about literally random cheap crystals being attached to things

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

silence_kit posted:

"It is a good idea to attach properly engineered and well-constructed stuff" has nothing to do with "dumb audiophiles duct tape baggies of random crystals and rocks to cables"

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

silence_kit posted:

You're not wrong, but this D&D and dadchat is leaking.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

silence_kit posted:

What you did is akin to arguing that magnetic healing bracelets are actually good and useful because magnets are used in MRI machines

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or at least adding to a conversation about magnetic healing bracelets by saying that actually magnets are used in MRI machines and that is good, but possibly not wishing to imply that there is a link between that assertion and magnetic healing bracelets.

Either way it's very confusing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You say homeopathy is a useless or even potentially dangerous pseudoscience but as a medical professional I can actually tell you that water is actually important in health. In fact doctors often tell patients to "get plenty of fluids". Makes you think.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ITT: rocks as chokes ridiculed with homeopathy :psydwarf:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I thought this was interesting, coal usage by state for electric power, compared between 2007 and 2015:

Notice that only Alaska and Nebraska increased their usage over the past 8 full years of data.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

NY and Georgia are pretty big changes too. How did New York make up a 90% reduction in coal, especially with Vermont Yankee closing?

e. nevermind guessing natural gas.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pander posted:

NY and Georgia are pretty big changes too. How did New York make up a 90% reduction in coal, especially with Vermont Yankee closing?

e. nevermind guessing natural gas.

Natural gas and increased imports (mostly from Quebec I think?). Note that these are the coal used inside the state for power directly, not all the coal used by suppliers to the state whether in the state or outside of it. That'd be a lot harder to measure.

Georgi's going to be interesting the next time the EIA puts out a similar report, because at least one new nuclear reactor will be online there in the next couple years, and Southern Company is expected to use that to mothball some of their coal capacity in the state.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 10, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Looks like the first commercial scale project for a 50MW rail based energy storage project is going ahead in Nevada. They're planning to make a profit selling ancillary services. The exciting part about this is the tech is pretty simple and scalable and with this smaller project priced a little above $1M per MW, potentially more cost effective at higher scales.

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/28/11524958/energy-storage-rail

irl testbed -

fancy cgi envisioning -

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Looks like the first commercial scale project for a 50MW rail based energy storage project is going ahead in Nevada. They're planning to make a profit selling ancillary services. The exciting part about this is the tech is pretty simple and scalable and with this smaller project priced a little above $1M per MW, potentially more cost effective at higher scales.

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/28/11524958/energy-storage-rail

irl testbed -

fancy cgi envisioning -

That is a lot of damned windmills.

And only 50 MW?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

And only 50 MW?

That's from their test bed in Altamont (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altamont_Pass_Wind_Farm), which was one of the first wind farms and thus a lot was build before the regulations that make you take them down when they break and so it has a bunch of really old semi-functional wind turbines. Its also where most of the pictures of "see how bad wind ruins the landscape?!?" come from. You just have to crop the freeway out of the pictures of the "ruined" landscape.

They're using entirely private funding and no capital markets, so I think this plant size is the biggest they can afford and/or is sized to be most profitable as a ancillary service provider. 50 MW is still around as big as the largest non-hydro/non-CAES storage projects.

The final commercialization plan probably involves partnering with big power producers who can take full advantage of arbitrage, something that's way more risky if you only own one plant.

edit:

here's a more recent render of their NV "plant" from this in depth article: http://www.utilitydive.com/news/first-of-its-kind-rail-energy-storage-project-targets-role-in-caiso-ancilla/417817/

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 10, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CommieGIR posted:

And only 50 MW?

You've got to be careful about trying to build too much capacity too fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

And only 50 MW?

From the article, at least some of the value is going to be in smoothing production/consumption mismatches. So when some clouds bring down solar generation for a few minutes in the middle of a hot day, you release some trains rather than firing a gas plant.