Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Third gen pokemon are actually super cool :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Djeser posted:

Third gen pokemon are actually super cool :colbert:

It's not about how cool they are, it's about how much you wanna gently caress them.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah, all the old pokemon are totally awesome, like "rat but purple," "rock with arms," "a crab," or "a ball that turns into an upside-down ball."

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Spaced God posted:

It's not about how cool they are, it's about how much you wanna gently caress them.

Yeah, and Gen 3 introduced Gardevoir. Check and mate. :smug:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Puppy Time posted:

Yeah, all the old pokemon are totally awesome, like "rat but purple," "rock with arms," "a crab," or "a ball that turns into an upside-down ball."
That is in fact what made them good. Basic, easily distinguished, and not weighed down with arbitrary bullshit. Snappy little designs.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Sham bam bamina! posted:

That is in fact what made them good. Basic, easily distinguished, and not weighed down with arbitrary bullshit. Snappy little designs.

Like a blob of sewage that turns into a larger blob of sewage.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shut up that crab is great.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Rumda posted:

Like a blob of sewage that turns into a larger blob of sewage.
It only proves my point when you can say something as general as that and I associate a very specific image with it, from a game that I last played more than a decade ago. :)

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
For a bunch of people trying to distance themselves from pokenerds, You guys sure have strong opinions on pokemon. :psyduck:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It only proves my point when you can say something as general as that and I associate a very specific image with it, from a game that I last played more than a decade ago. :)

Yeah but the thing is that hasn't gone away if you were as immersed in the modern generations as much as you were gen 1 back in the day you would remember just as many and most of the would probably be newer ones.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Did you actually play the later games? Most of the people I've heard this from just played Gen 1, so of course you'd only find the Gen 1s memorable if you never played the later stuff.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Muk backwards is kum. they knew what they were doing.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

hoobajoo posted:

Did you actually play the later games? Most of the people I've heard this from just played Gen 1, so of course you'd only find the Gen 1s memorable if you never played the later stuff.
I haven't played the later games because I wasn't a kid anymore when they came out, but what I've seen here and there from later on has just looked like increasingly busy mishmashes. "If we do just a crab again it'll be redundant; better put some lines and poo poo on it to make it new." I mean, it's basically where you end up when you try to put out however many hundreds of character designs over the years with the same basic formula of "random animal + random power + anime".

And then you have completely incomprehensible things like Reshiram and the creatures on the covers of the last few games. :psyduck:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 14, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

For a bunch of people trying to distance themselves from pokenerds, You guys sure have strong opinions on pokemon. :psyduck:

I love Pokemon but I don't love Pokemon

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

steinrokkan posted:

I don't get why people would be attracted to the terrible newer series Pokémon, they all look like blobs painted by retarded children.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You can't get a goddamn boner in space because zero gravity forces your heart to work harder to flow blood through your body and that blood's not goin' to your dick.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Sham bam bamina! posted:

And then you have completely incomprehensible things like Reshiram and the creatures on the covers of the last few games. :psyduck:

Y'mean the dinosaur and the whale, or the stag and the weird bird? Because most of those things aren't exactly hard to parse to me. Maybe I've just been playing too many kids games about cute animals so I'm used to it?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I haven't played the later games because I wasn't a kid anymore when they came out, but what I've seen here and there from later on has just looked like increasingly busy mishmashes. "If we do just a crab again it'll be redundant; better put some lines and poo poo on it to make it new." I mean, it's basically where you end up when you try to put out however many hundreds of character designs over the years with the same basic formula of "random animal + random power + anime".

I think this is confirmation bias and you're just only remembering the janky ones since they stand out. Snivy is a much cleaner, simpler design than Bulbasaur, for example.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

This conversation is dumb. No one cares about which Pokemon you like more, unless you are sticking your dick in it.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Waffleman_ posted:

You can't get a goddamn boner in space because zero gravity forces your heart to work harder to flow blood through your body and that blood's not goin' to your dick.

Not even if I'm looking at a Gen 1 Pokemon? Surely my body understands this is a much more important use of my life blood than whatever tf my brain is doing with it.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

dijon du jour posted:

Not even if I'm looking at a Gen 1 Pokemon? Surely my body understands this is a much more important use of my life blood than whatever tf my brain is doing with it.

Sorry, the only pokemon proven to give you a boner in space is Palkia

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Whenever a new generation comes out, I only give a poo poo about the Ghost and Steel types.

In that regard, Gen 1 is the shittiest generation. Guys didn't even have a Steel type, and Ghosts were broken and lovely, how was I supposed to care about them!?

Generation VI is one of the best generations, solely because of Aegislash.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

no keep this argument going, I've already started my doc

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I actually wouldn't mind a mostly non-sexual Pokemon stupidity episode. "Mostly" being because you probably can't avoid perverts if you're looking for the stuff.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Reshiram is a jet engine attached to a dragon, it's pretty easy to get.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

A boner in space
You big disgrace
Waving your space dick all over the place

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

trap...sprung? I guess?

I would kill for a dramatic reading of those two guys posting on a Pokemon website arguing about the nicknames of the pokemon they've traded.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Tempo 119 posted:

A boner in space
You big disgrace
Waving your space dick all over the place

TAROOK TAROOK TAROOK TAROOK
MAK-SHI

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Gimnbo posted:

I actually wouldn't mind a mostly non-sexual Pokemon stupidity episode. "Mostly" being because you probably can't avoid perverts if you're looking for the stuff.

We already had the climatic digimon/pokemon battle.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
New Lou Reads, on everyone's favourite recurring subject.

http://loureads.com/2015/09/14/lou-reads-episode-142-intactivism-from-the-forums-of-restoring-foreskin/

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sham bam bamina! posted:

basic designs like the tree with coconuts for heads which are also eggs which have psychic powers and also the psychic egg coconut heads can be thrown off and exploded

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's true that the new Pokemon are simpler designs. After all autistic people find comfort in basic, simple designs, and become bewildered when confronted with even mildly complex visuals.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I gotta admit that the pistol shrimp that was posted earlier is pretty sweet.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Hey man, if you can't see what makes Clawizter sexy than I don't want nothing to do with you

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Djeser posted:

trap...sprung? I guess?

I would kill for a dramatic reading of those two guys posting on a Pokemon website arguing about the nicknames of the pokemon they've traded.

For reference.

http://www.rarityguide.com/forums/pokemon-center/4676-name-rater-eterna-city-refuses-change-my-duskulls-name-help.html

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Holy moly

quote:

Dudeskull is a LAME name. it may be a good name for a gangster but not for a pokemon!

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

That guy who rants about how he only finds solace in making uncut men orgasm is one of the most insanely Freudian things I've heard. Every sentence is just another layer of penis obsession.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Holy poo poo he just keeps going.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The whole circumcision is just so insane to me. I'm cut and it kinda annoys me but I can move on with my day, go to work, come home, jerk off and still be happy. I just can't devote this much time and emotion to something like this.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah as a professional fan of dicks myself I can't really fathom having such strong opinions wrt cut/uncut status

for a specific type of person it seems to become a fixation to the point where it makes up a lot of their identity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think for some people there's an undercurrent of antisemitism to it, at least I've seen some of it.