Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

If Erina is on the E10 team I can't see her not absolutely destroying whoever she's up against, up to and including Soma. She's had what, 178 chapters of build-up?

Erina will win in a close contest but upon tasting Megumi's dish she will forfeit because even in this awful situation where she is fighting for her school life against a friend and preparing food for a bunch of assholes who want her to lose, she still cooked while thinking of those who would eat her dish and hoping that they would enjoy themselves. Thus showing the qualities of a true chef and proving that in this specific competition she was the better cook. Resulting in a good and tense match with cool moments for both challengers and character development for each.

Like if Erina is on the side of the E10 (which I think is decently likely) i'm expecting her to face Megumi over the others and honestly, even though I have had some problems with the series recently I think every time the manga has had an actual match or contest it has ended in a way I found satisfying or enjoyable. And SnS has been consistently good at those things enough for me to not expect that to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The problem is that Megumi's arc is basically in the home stretch, and there's not really anywhere for it to go that wouldn't be repetitive. She now knows that she has potential to be great, and is slowly gaining the confidence she needs to excel. So... you either completely undo her progress and shove her back to being excessively timid or she just suddenly "finishes" her slow, seemingly long-term growth and then she can no longer meaningfully participate in the plot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
megumi's one true foe is all of the elderly people who want her to marry their grandsons. truly chilling.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Serious Frolicking posted:

megumi's one true foe is all of the elderly people who want her to marry their grandsons. truly chilling.

Azami will taste Megumi's cooking and ask her to marry Erina.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No particularly good bits to screencap from this week's episode. Had a "it had to be done to get to the next part" kind of feel to it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No particularly good bits to screencap from this week's episode. Had a "it had to be done to get to the next part" kind of feel to it.

Hayama and Kurokiba are Beyblade rivals to their core and they're mostly pretty boring. Soma kind of brings out their more entertaining sides, like he does for a lot of characters.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah, but if they wanted an awesome visual bit for this episode, they might have leaned into the whole card battling thing a little more.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hayama and Kurokiba are Beyblade rivals to their core and they're mostly pretty boring. Soma kind of brings out their more entertaining sides, like he does for a lot of characters.

Alice also brings out a bit of Kurokiba as well and frankly, I'd like to see their interactions be a bit more dialed up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kurokiba is incredibly cool and good but Hayama is just ok.

The problem with the match is that those two got a lot of focus in the qualifiers and in round 1 so this match was just basically set up for the triple threat with little actual development on their part.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kurokiba is incredibly cool and good but Hayama is just ok.

The problem with the match is that those two got a lot of focus in the qualifiers and in round 1 so this match was just basically set up for the triple threat with little actual development on their part.

Kurokiba vs. The Literally Who was probably the low point of the series for me but that might be just because Central is kind of dumb

E: After thinking about it I actually hope Soma gets expelled this arc? That would make for something really interesting if they did that.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 14, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Kurokiba vs. The Literally Who was probably the low point of the series for me but that might be just because Central is kind of dumb

I enjoyed that match because the Central stooge was going on about how Kurokiba doesn't understand subtlety and just throws all his flavors out there on the plate but then it turns out Kurokiba used his ingredients way more creatively than that rear end in a top hat and all the stupid insults he was throwing at Kurokiba were a better fit for himself. Which I thought was a decent enough little story for what was basically a Kurokiba showcase to show that he's still tough after not doing anything since the autumn tournament.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Eizan's defeat in the Shokugeki was a legitimate thing, right?

Like, they throw out a bunch of qualifiers that both say he's stronger than he appears there (he could be even higher than 9th if he wanted to!) and that he's weaker than he appears there (he didn't try until halfway through! If he did it would've been much different!) but it's not like he actually needed the full amount of time, yeah?

He predicted Soma'd be easy pickings even if he did try, Soma blew past every expectation he had, completely controlled the pace of the fight, shut Eizan down and then shut the judges down.

This is not the face of someone who was going to lose that fight even if Eizan had something more up his sleeve.

E: Also, Rindou is the goddamn best.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 14, 2016

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Alice whistling at Kurokiba like a dog was pretty great.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hayama is pretty boring but I loving love me some Kurokiba.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

TheKingofSprings posted:

but it's not like he actually needed the full amount of time, yeah?

Souma walked in there with an exact plan of what he wanted to do. Eizan walked in there with the intention of standing around :smug:ing it up, and when forced to actually do something he came up with something on the spot.

He didn't need the full amount of time to make that dish properly or anything, but there absolutely was a huge difference in prep time.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So I just binged through the series and caught up. Way better than I was expecting from a cooking series.

My only question is, is the Rebel Alliance basically every 1st year High Schooler who's gotten a name minus Akira, Copy Cat Chef, and Hojo? It seems like that, but Hojo also seems to be somewhat on team Soma. I'm assuming Akira got promoted to the empty Elite 10 slot, in order to save the Spice Lab, and if the other two aren't rebels they're part of the Central Group.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

So I just binged through the series and caught up. Way better than I was expecting from a cooking series.

My only question is, is the Rebel Alliance basically every 1st year High Schooler who's gotten a name minus Akira, Copy Cat Chef, and Hojo? It seems like that, but Hojo also seems to be somewhat on team Soma. I'm assuming Akira got promoted to the empty Elite 10 slot, in order to save the Spice Lab, and if the other two aren't rebels they're part of the Central Group.

Basically, yeah, with three former E10s backing them up right now.

And actually I think Copy Cat is on their side too, he just doesn't seem to get any exposure. Maybe he showed up in the background like Nao did?

E:

BlitzBlast posted:

Souma walked in there with an exact plan of what he wanted to do. Eizan walked in there with the intention of standing around :smug:ing it up, and when forced to actually do something he came up with something on the spot.

He didn't need the full amount of time to make that dish properly or anything, but there absolutely was a huge difference in prep time.

You're right, but the look on Eizan's face when he ate Soma's wasn't one of "I can do better than this", it was one of "Jesus Christ what". I think he would've lost to Soma even with prep time, and the framing of the resolution of that fight with Soma just towering over Eizan reflects that to me.

I also don't remember seeing Rindou poo poo on him for holding back and getting smacked down for it, which is exactly the kind of thing she would do if he had. There's definitely some bias there on my part though, I'm really hoping Soma is at this point around the level of the lower E10.

Also, the biggest thing is probably that, as much as Eizan didn't prepare beforehand Soma had never even had a chance to cook with a Jiidori before.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 16, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
One of the things that I like about this manga is that who is better than who is situational. Like if Soma hadn't taken on the 1st seat in French cuisine with venison on the fly he probably would have a chance to at least not get blown out in tasting.

He's probably better than at least 4 of the Elite 10 right now.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Gyges posted:

One of the things that I like about this manga is that who is better than who is situational. Like if Soma hadn't taken on the 1st seat in French cuisine with venison on the fly he probably would have a chance to at least not get blown out in tasting.

He's probably better than at least 4 of the Elite 10 right now.

Eizan and Kuga I can see, but the next ones on the list are Isshiki and Erina, and I'm still not too sure about Soma being better than either of them. The other 6 are still unknown to us, but you'd have to assume they're all better or at least on par with Isshiki.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I feel like the 3rd years are gonna graduate and the second years will become the main rivals for a while, so you can't have Soma be strictly better than them too early.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
All of the top 4 chef Main character chefs are probably around each other in skill.

Hayama, Souma, Ryou, and Alice.

Step down from them is Aldini, Megumi, Hisato and Mimasaka

Erina is probably a level above Souma and crew. The bottom of the Elite 10 are probably around Erina's skill level. Souma is capable of fighting cooking on their level but is still outmatched unless he has favorable circumstances.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 16, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Erina and Hayama are probably wild cards against almost anyone since they have cooking super powers of extrasensory taste and smell.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

Erina and Hayama are probably wild cards against almost anyone since they have cooking super powers of extrasensory taste and smell.

Hayama is really lucky he didn't get put in Block B with Nao in the preliminaries

I feel like Erina will be above Isshiki's level, the impression I've gotten is she's bottom seat right now simply as a formality due to entrance exam marks and didn't have a desire to start climbing higher yet.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fursonally, im still mad alice and poison girl didnt get further

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

fursonally, im still mad alice and poison girl didnt get further

Alice had the unfortunate luck to be paired against Soma the one time a match actually played to his own strength. She would've flattened anyone who wasn't a finalist and her win record against one of them is 50-50.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Davincie posted:

fursonally,

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Spoilers are out, I guess we know what Hayama's been up to now. :v: Seems like there's only one outcome to this fight, unless they want Soma to lose to him for a third time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Mangafast is up: http://mangafast.online/manga/shokugeki-no-soma/179/1

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
Hahahaha, what a non-threatening heel-turn.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the shiomi seminar consisted of two people, both of whom are still at the school. like, so what if it was disbanded?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Not terribly surprised by any of this. Hayama's been out of focus for so long it was a foregone conclusion he'd end up on the other side.

bondster
May 6, 2007

This is so goddamn dumb that it loops back to being hilarious. In fact, so far this may be the dumbest arc I've read out of a Jump manga.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So how hard is Hayama about to get destroyed here? He's now a glorified miniboss and literally half his lines this chapter are setting him up for a hard lesson (he superficially moved up and rank has always been important to him, but Soma is the one that's been fighting the E10 for forever, Hayama being isolated vs. Soma picking up new tricks from literally everybody, etc.)

Will we believe a man('s nose) can fly (straight off his face after he gets wrecked)?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

something something hayama had someone to cook for and now does not, his cooking is no longer ~his cooking~, you're better than this, etc.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Alternatively, Hayama is playing deep cover against Central for hurting his mentor/waifu and decided to go it alone against them. He loses against Souma though because of the edge Erina's lectures gave.

I expect Megumi will face Hojo who's with Central for the same reasons

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
You know what would be awesome? Even though I know it won't happen because it's shonen and they must milk the drama for all it's worth, it would be really amazing if next chapter opened with a two-page spread of Hayama lying defeated, his defeat being so obvious that the author cut to the chase and skipped the battle.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

bondster posted:

This is so goddamn dumb that it loops back to being hilarious. In fact, so far this may be the dumbest arc I've read out of a Jump manga.

I actually love this. It's so dumb and out of character for the guy whose only motivation was his teacher, but it's perfect for a character who has at all times been "heh" *pushes glasses up nose into glare* personified

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Death Bot posted:

I actually love this. It's so dumb and out of character for the guy whose only motivation was his teacher, but it's perfect for a character who has at all times been "heh" *pushes glasses up nose into glare* personified

I mean let's be fair here, it really does look like Azami's coercing him into this poo poo right now and he's just playing it up.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Death Bot posted:

Nothing persosmell kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

So how hard is Hayama about to get destroyed here? He's now a glorified miniboss and literally half his lines this chapter are setting him up for a hard lesson (he superficially moved up and rank has always been important to him, but Soma is the one that's been fighting the E10 for forever, Hayama being isolated vs. Soma picking up new tricks from literally everybody, etc.)

Will we believe a man('s nose) can fly (straight off his face after he gets wrecked)?

It's going to be an incredibly close cooking battle with Soma edging out a win due to Hayama throwing away his principles which will give Soma the advantage. As the most important things in a cooking contest are morals and beliefs.

bondster posted:

The rival character is now working for the bad guy either due to being coerced to do it or out of desperation to achieve his goals. It's not that crazy or anything. It gives Soma someone to face and defeat without really removing any of the big threats of the Elite 10 who have been built up as crazy strong and above the level of even Naked Apron Senpai who is meant to be seen as better than all the main characters. And honestly, Soma does need to beat Hayama and avenge two previous defeats to show that he really is much better than he used to be.

I don't really see anything wrong with this.