Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

blackguy32 posted:

Kind of glad I moved from Corpus. At least Ron Olsen resigned. One of my friends was calling for his head on a platter basically. She did the same thing to Abel Herrero.

Resigning seemed like an extreme move for a bit, but then they announced it might take them TEN MORE loving DAYS to fix the water system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Aliquid posted:

anybody else have Dads that complain about south texas rice farmers and the LCRA even though they have no skin in the game?

this can't just be me

Not since the drought situation has eased. I heard a fair amount of "why are we sending them OUR water/who would try to grow rice in Texas" back when Lake Travis and Buchanan were sitting under 50%, but now that the lakes are pretty much full no one is paying much attention.

Also, if you want to go deep nerd on LCRA data, I recommend their River Report.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

And of course, idiots are wanting to ease water restrictions now that the drought is suspended. Oh no I can only water my lawn once a week and have to use a bucket to wash my car! Muh freedumbs!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I thought our restrictions were going permanent, it's sad to see them being rolled back.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Aliquid posted:

I thought our restrictions were going permanent, it's sad to see them being rolled back.

Water isn't limited resource dude, it loving falls from the sky lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MariusLecter posted:

Water isn't limited resource dude, it loving falls from the sky lol

......uhhhhh.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lake Travis is really pretty right now

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CommieGIR posted:

......uhhhhh.

I'm just playing my part as a Texan. :clint:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

I'm just playing my part as a Texan. :clint:

stop praying, we're full!!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

PostNouveau posted:

Resigning seemed like an extreme move for a bit, but then they announced it might take them TEN MORE loving DAYS to fix the water system.

Also, is Blake Farenthold still a piece of poo poo?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

blackguy32 posted:

Also, is Blake Farenthold still a piece of poo poo?

Let me check.

Ayup.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I like how the year that we finally get enough rain for the cotton my dirt-farming kinfolk raise to be profitable is a year where China's poised to flood the market with its own cotton reserves.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChipBrownHD/status/735067609788342272

I dunno if y'all have been following the poo poo going on in the Baylor football program but it's real bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ChipBrownHD/status/735067609788342272

I dunno if y'all have been following the poo poo going on in the Baylor football program but it's real bad.

The emphasis on sports in Colleges is the problem.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pretty hilarious that Ken Starr is about to be fired for failing to properly investigate allegations of sexual misconduct.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

lol of course Briles is still safe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

lol of course Briles is still safe.

""The feeling is if the board got rid of Art (Briles), they'd be sitting in a $300 million mausoleum instead of that new football stadium," one source close to the situation told HD."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Well he didn't try to cover up a murder, so he's not the worst Baylor's ever had.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

""The feeling is if the board got rid of Art (Briles), they'd be sitting in a $300 million mausoleum instead of that new football stadium," one source close to the situation told HD."

Ahaha and that was exactly the reason I almost typed in my post.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I'd take that with a grain of salt, Chip Brown is a mouthpiece for Texas football and has a pretty bad track record.
I hope it's true though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, he's now reporting, and Wapo and other national outlets are starting to pick up, that it's a done deal and Starr is out.

In more worrisome news, Aggies are trying to acquire The Bomb :ohdear:
https://twitter.com/eramshaw/status/735151752987566080

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Well, he's now reporting, and Wapo and other national outlets are starting to pick up, that it's a done deal and Starr is out.

This would be a really big get, and I hope we manage to pull it off. Both the UT and A&M systems took a pretty big hit during the Perry years (where he stacked their boards with a bunch of his lackeys), and we could use some increase our profile and the level of research that people in the systems are able to do.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/eramshaw/status/735151752987566080

They can't even manage bonfires, can't wait for them to gently caress this up too.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

They can't even manage bonfires, can't wait for them to gently caress this up too.

To be fair, the A&M nuclear program is better than the UT one.

UT tried to win a national lab contract and failed last time, so I too am hopeful that UT+A&M+UNM+Boeing+Battelle can beat out Lockheed Martin.

Running a national lab is one of the few feathers in a research institution cap that no Texas university has.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've actually been to the Aggie nuke plant and seen their Cherenkov radiation :tipshat:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'm hoping they get it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Heard that also over lunch.

And we have an excellent nuclear engineering department. One of the best, in fact :mad:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Didn't UT used to run Los Alamos? Not during WW2 I mean, like fairly recently.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Didn't UT used to run Los Alamos? Not during WW2 I mean, like fairly recently.

UT was going to bid in 2005 but they dropped out. I thought UT made a bid for another lab recently too but lost.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Chron_MattYoung/status/735180062656339968

Kind of feel like refusing to confirm he still works there is tipping your hand a bit.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I was at UT during the nuclear bid and was against it but have no memory of why

also yeah after that tweet, Starr is gone

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Aliquid posted:

I was at UT during the nuclear bid and was against it but have no memory of why

also yeah after that tweet, Starr is gone

I knew people who were against federal grants because they were anti-war or something. Was it that?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/bysambrose/status/735203108301639680

Who the gently caress knows man

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Did anyone vote in the primaries today? I skipped them since I don't have any lege primary runoffs and whoever the Democrats nominate for RRC is going to lose anyway.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

My gut says that what's going on is that the board of regents has basically made up their mind regarding Starr and is delaying until the 3rd either to decide what to do with athletic director Ian McCaw and Art Briles, or to get whatever paperwork is involved in firing a college president (and whoever else eats it) without getting sued. Or both, I suppose.

As a Baylor alum, all three of Briles, McCaw, and Starr should probably be gone, but if only one ends up eating it I hope it's Starr. Briles is almost certainly culpable in sweeping things under the rug at this point, but the repeated failures of Baylor's Title IX office and general sexual assault procedures (the less publicized of which don't involve athletes at all, yet reportedly involved similar levels of institutional neglect - see http://musingsofstef.blogspot.com/2016/02/i-was-raped-at-baylor-and-this-is-my_4.html) lie squarely on Starr's desk, if you ask me.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

e_angst posted:

This would be a really big get, and I hope we manage to pull it off. Both the UT and A&M systems took a pretty big hit during the Perry years (where he stacked their boards with a bunch of his lackeys), and we could use some increase our profile and the level of research that people in the systems are able to do.

The idea by Perry and his cronies that if it didn't turn a profit, it shouldn't be part of the university system was horrible. Does anyone know what Abbott's attitude is towards the universities?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

radical meme posted:

The idea by Perry and his cronies that if it didn't turn a profit, it shouldn't be part of the university system was horrible. Does anyone know what Abbott's attitude is towards the universities?

Going to guess it is something along whatever his crazy base of support believes, so not enough Jesus, guns and big government is bad classes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey that loving insane Board of Education candidate lost her runoff. Yay

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

PostNouveau posted:

Oh hey that loving insane Board of Education candidate lost her runoff. Yay

Now my kids are gay.

Adbot