Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

MooCowlian posted:

I think it's good that people who lie so customers give them millions of dollars for a broken product that is very different to the one they were promised probably deserve some consequences, and given that this is a large, lucrative industry with millions of customers it's nice to know that the law can be involved. This isn't some idiot kicking off because his mario romhack got ripped off and it's not phil fish having a tantrum because someone was mean about his game. It's a AAA game with well over a million sales.

Preorders aren't necessarily a good idea, but "haha, gently caress you" and "you're in idiot for falling for their tricks" aren't really good responses to something affecting 7 figures people counts and 8 figure money numbers.

Also, that humble hidden object bundle was cool and I hope to see more of them making bundles. Bundleers, get on that.

Lawsuits can set precedents that create disincentives for large companies to try and gently caress over their customer base.

Software is a weird industry in that vendors can sell you a more-or-less non-functional product and there are no consequences for that and no consumer protections. But perhaps that is simply society's way of saying 'gently caress gamers' or 'gamers are idiots'. In most multi-billion dollar industries, that poo poo wouldn't fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

MooCowlian posted:

I think it's good that people who lie so customers give them millions of dollars for a broken product that is very different to the one they were promised probably deserve some consequences, and given that this is a large, lucrative industry with millions of customers it's nice to know that the law can be involved. This isn't some idiot kicking off because his mario romhack got ripped off and it's not phil fish having a tantrum because someone was mean about his game. It's a AAA game with well over a million sales.

Preorders aren't necessarily a good idea, but "haha, gently caress you" and "you're in idiot for falling for their tricks" aren't really good responses to something affecting 7 figures people counts and 8 figure money numbers.

Also, that humble hidden object bundle was cool and I hope to see more of them making bundles. Bundleers, get on that.

I appreciate pre-orderers given the current state of games journalism. They're like coal-mine canaries. If everyone was smart enough not to pre-order, who would take the plunge?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What was so broken about A:CM anyway? I only played and saw the very end of it when someone brought the 360 version over, and it seemed pretty mediocre. Was all the poo poo frontloaded?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

bonds0097 posted:

Lawsuits can set precedents that create disincentives for large companies to try and gently caress over their customer base.

Software is a weird industry in that vendors can sell you a more-or-less non-functional product and there are no consequences for that and no consumer protections. But perhaps that is simply society's way of saying 'gently caress gamers' or 'gamers are idiots'. In most multi-billion dollar industries, that poo poo wouldn't fly.

Yes, there should certainly be consequences for large companies from screwing people over. However, software is a fickle business, especially games. When you have tangible products it's much easier to determine when something is broken or incorrect. I recall people screaming lawsuits when a Call of Duty (or some military shooter) game lowered the firing rate of a gun by a few tenths of a second. There are certainly cases where a lawsuit may be necessary, but I cannot imagine the amount of poo poo courts have to sift through to get to something with merit. Although this really applies to everything.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
So, it appears that Overkill just announced that they're doing a Walking Dead co-op game.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

What was so broken about A:CM anyway? I only played and saw the very end of it when someone brought the 360 version over, and it seemed pretty mediocre. Was all the poo poo frontloaded?

My understanding is that Gearbox funneled money from the project (provided by SEGA) to Borderlands 2 and instead outsourced A:CM to Timegate.

Also, people seemed pretty angry that the advertised footage did not match up with the actual product whatsoever.

Ragequit posted:

Yes, there should certainly be consequences for large companies from screwing people over. However, software is a fickle business, especially games. When you have tangible products it's much easier to determine when something is broken or incorrect. I recall people screaming lawsuits when a Call of Duty (or some military shooter) game lowered the firing rate of a gun by a few tenths of a second. There are certainly cases where a lawsuit may be necessary, but I cannot imagine the amount of poo poo courts have to sift through to get to something with merit. Although this really applies to everything.

I would argue that frivolous lawsuits are a problem throughout the United States and are not unique to the game industry. And I imagine that the most egregious examples, like you cited, never get picked up by a lawyer. My hope would simply be that after a few multi-million dollar settlements, companies might think twice before doing shady poo poo. But I guess that hasn't worked in the energy, pharmaceutical or auto industries so perhaps that's naive.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 13, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bonds0097 posted:

My understanding is that Gearbox funneled money from the project (provided by SEGA) to Borderlands 2 and instead outsourced A:CM to Timegate.

Oh right, I forgot they did that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
But isn't it SEGA paying out the few million to people? Are there more than one lawsuit each going on between them?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

Yeah, let's not forget that "bankrupting the studio behind Section 8 (an actual good game series)" is among the list of lovely things Gearbox has done. :(

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh right, I forgot they did that.

There really is zero proof of that. Just reddit rumours from someone claiming to be an ex employee.

The Timegate thing was never proven 100% either except that we know they did work on the game. The E3 demo was as real as most e3 demos (remember kill zone 1?)

The only proven deception was Gearbox releasing the game in the state it was in and screenshots that looked nicer than the released product.

Shame on Gearbox and Sega for releasing it but let's keep the facts straight instead of making poo poo up.

Edit: not defending Gearbox. They do some really lovely things.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Gearbox is just a bunch of awful talentless hacks and it's a testament to how screwed up the AAA industry is that they're still in business.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 13, 2014

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Gearbox is kinda lovely and Pitchford is an annoying prat which is a shame because I really enjoy Borderlands 2 despite the many dumb decisions and overall lame DLC they made for game over time.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Goddammit, not Slave Hack, Space Hack; that's the game I'm looking for help with. (curse that old browser game for confusing me)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Goddammit, not Slave Hack, Space Hack; that's the game I'm looking for help with. (curse that old browser game for confusing me)

It was being offered for free a little bit ago on Steam, but from what I remember it's a rather slow-paced diablo-like. Just play something else. it's probably not worth a buck with things like Van Helsing out there (or even lovely Torchlight 2).

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Drifter posted:

But isn't it SEGA paying out the few million to people? Are there more than one lawsuit each going on between them?

SEGA sued Gearbox over this, and SEGA itself was separately sued over the game too. SEGA (reluctantly) agreed to pay out this money in exchange for not being sued over the matter again. It's not necessarily an admission of guilt, just SEGA going 'We can't be bothered with this so we're just going to pay up'. Of course, you could look at it as SEGA thinking they'd get in bigger trouble and lose more money if they actually went further with the case, and seeing this as an easier out, but SEGA are hardly going to admit to it if that is the case. SEGA are still saying it's all Gearbox's fault, and are still suing them.

That's my rough understanding, anyway. There's far more (and, I'm sure, messier) details about that I can't be bothered to look up right now.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Drifter posted:

It was being offered for free a little bit ago on Steam, but from what I remember it's a rather slow-paced diablo-like. Just play something else. it's probably not worth a buck with things like Van Helsing out there (or even lovely Torchlight 2).

Fair enough, I still need to play through Torchlight 1+2 anyway.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

NotInventedHere posted:

I know this was a while back, but I wanted to point out a few mods I really like for Soulstorm. I mostly played faction mods, so that's what I can recommend. A great thing about DOW 1 is that faction mods can be used together easily, so if you want, you can play Tyranids vs Steel Legion and Dark Angels vs Black Templar, etc. Anyway, I really enjoyed:

Dark Angels - Adds the Dark Angels as a playable faction, with tons of new units. With Dark Angels, you pick one of three branches - Deathwing, Ravenwing, or a standard battle company. Each has a distinct style and its own ultimate unit. The Deathwing path focuses on Terminators, and can field a full army (including commanders) in Terminator armor. Ravenwing is based on fast attacks with bike and land speeder units, and includes a full set of commanders with bikes. The battle company is closer to standard Space Marines, but with its own units including Veterans, Devastators, and Standard Bearers. Download

Inquisition Daemonhunt - Adds the Daemonhunters as a faction, including Grey Knights and Inquisitors. The graphics look really good, and the faction has a unique feel. Grey Knight Terminators are awesome. Download

Steel Legion - Adds the Armageddon Steel Legion faction, a force of Imperial Guard with a focus on vehicles. There are a lot of new units in this mod. The infantry wear greatcoats and gas masks, and look great. The faction has some great tanks as well. I really like this faction, lots of fun to play with. Download

Tyranids - Adds a major faction that was missing from Soulstorm, the Tyranids. The faction mixes hordes of weak infantry, combined with huge monstrous creatures. Tyranids try to overwhelm the enemy with waves of cheap Gaunts, and then destroy them with the raw power of the Carnifex and Hive Tyrant. It's a great faction, and a nice compliment to the other armies in the game. Download.

Black Templar. It's a very unique Space Marine faction, with lots of interesting units and weapon options. I haven't played this much since I moved on from Soulstorm about the time it came out, but it's one I really want to use again if I were to get back into DOW. What I did play seemed really cool, so I'd definitely recommend checking it out. Download
Don't get me wrong, the DOW mods were great and all but the modders were terrible people. I remember the Inquisition lead trying to chew out the Relic team for having low poly/low texture quality units while he probably spent like 8 512^2 textures on a single unit. Of course there is going to be a disparity.

I can't remember what mod I was on but I decided to push an update where I basically (probably in retrospect) trolled everyone and standardized all the weapon damage (so everyone's bolters/lasguns/shuriken throwers/etc did the same damage if you were a scout down to a terminator or a lovely shotta ork or imperial guard tank turret, only difference was ROF/accuracy/etc.) and they ran with it. Of course I think I killed the mod because I did that because it made all the 40k spergs angry their precious super space marines not so awesome as before. Also I was not the guy in charge of the mod so there was that, which made it doubly hilarious.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

smenj posted:

SEGA sued Gearbox over this, and SEGA itself was separately sued over the game too. SEGA (reluctantly) agreed to pay out this money in exchange for not being sued over the matter again. It's not necessarily an admission of guilt, just SEGA going 'We can't be bothered with this so we're just going to pay up'. Of course, you could look at it as SEGA thinking they'd get in bigger trouble and lose more money if they actually went further with the case, and seeing this as an easier out, but SEGA are hardly going to admit to it if that is the case. SEGA are still saying it's all Gearbox's fault, and are still suing them.

That's my rough understanding, anyway. There's far more (and, I'm sure, messier) details about that I can't be bothered to look up right now.

Note: Sega are a Japanese company so they would pass the blame onto Gearbox no matter who was at fault. Sega failed here too by not watching where their funding was going and the condition of the project during development.

The Timegate thing, if true, should not have happened under Sega's watch.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Note: Sega are a Japanese company so they would pass the blame onto Gearbox no matter who was at fault. Sega failed here too by not watching where their funding was going and the condition of the project during development.

The Timegate thing, if true, should not have happened under Sega's watch.

Oh, no, I'm not trying to defend SEGA, not at all. Personally, I'd say it's their responsibility as publisher to make sure the dev they've hired to make the game is using the funds appropriately, and, you know, actually making the game. Also, of course, making sure the game is up to snuff before release. I was just trying to explain what I know about this whole situation. So far as I can remember, people complained to SEGA about the state of the game and sued them. SEGA said 'Hey, this is Gearbox's fault! Not us!' and sued Gearbox. Now SEGA's agreed to pay this settlement, but has made it clear that this isn't an admission of guilt on their part, just a way out of the court case. I think all that info's correct?

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
Looks like MGSV GZ+TPP might come to Steam after all. Maybe.
https://uk.games.konami-europe.com/

hahahaha
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Nokiaman fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 13, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
https://uk.games.konami-europe.com/

Do you notice something in the news feed of this page?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

So Metal Gear Solid 5 was just announced for PC (Steam). Cool, I guess?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/311340/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/287700/

Zat fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 13, 2014

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

PostNouveau posted:

No. What's that?

Re: Automatic proxy detection.

Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings and uncheck "Automatically detect settings".

The option usually isn't necessary nor useful in any way, but it does make Steam sluggish.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Zat posted:

Best news of the day. :getin:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

FrickenMoron posted:

Best news of the day. :getin:

It could only get better if they announced MGS HD Collection on Steam along these.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zat posted:

Very cool. MGS5 looks like an open-world version of Peace Walker, so there's going to be stealth, base management, kidnapping random enemy soldiers to press them into your service, and sheep. Oh, and you can research new and powerful cardboard boxes to bring onto the battlefield.

Naturally, it's also looking to be the darkest, bleakest game in the series, so the comedy should be bizarrely offset by the horrors of war. Keep in mind that the prologue chapter has you literally infiltrating a slightly-renamed Guantanamo Bay, and a side mission has you hunting down and assassinating American war criminals that are hiding out there.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
So just to clue people in on why there are two versions of MGSV:

Ground Zeroes is largely a tech demo for the open world technology of MGSV, which consists of one main story mission, several side missions, and (assuming they have the console content), one or two bonus gimmick missions. The main mission of Ground Zeroes is fairly short, usually spanning a half-hour to an hour or so. The story is just a prequel to MGSV that bridges the gap between Peace Walker (the PSP game) and MGSV.

The Phantom Pain is the true version of MGSV. It has a large sprawling open world, is significantly longer than Ground Zeroes, and will connect the story of Metal Gear Solid 3 and Metal Gear 1. If you're not interested in the overall story or any of the content from Ground Zeroes, The Phantom Pain is the way to go.

Anyways, have some trailers for The Phantom Pain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6WgLOjKxmI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfoPfF2u1to

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

My advice on Ground Zeroes: Totally worth it once it's down to $10 or less, but a bit cheeky at anything above that. If you want to complete it 100% you're looking at 10+ hours of play, but the main story mission will take you (as mentioned) maybe half an hour on your first playthrough. There's a ton of gameplay in that one map and half-dozen missions, consider the scale of it all, but it's definitely not a full game.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Also, here is a gameplay demo of the Phantom Pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSXQMC3mQBw

They showed off another demo today of the same mission, but with a bunch of differences supposedly influenced by your gameplay style (more guards, guards wearing armour, more lights at night).

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Deakul posted:

Ultimate Apocalypse is pretty cool, it adds a bunch of the new races mentioned in a post above into the mod and then ramps everything up turning it into 40k: Total War essentially with massive gently caress off armies and even Titans.

Nifty. Don't know what half those things are but 40k total war sounds fun.

Edit: I like anything that would gently caress with space marines cause they are lame imo.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 13, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Lance Streetman posted:

So just to clue people in on why there are two versions of MGSV:

Ground Zeroes is largely a tech demo for the open world technology of MGSV, which consists of one main story mission, several side missions, and (assuming they have the console content), one or two bonus gimmick missions. The main mission of Ground Zeroes is fairly short, usually spanning a half-hour to an hour or so. The story is just a prequel to MGSV that bridges the gap between Peace Walker (the PSP game) and MGSV.

The Phantom Pain is the true version of MGSV. It has a large sprawling open world, is significantly longer than Ground Zeroes, and will connect the story of Metal Gear Solid 3 and Metal Gear 1. If you're not interested in the overall story or any of the content from Ground Zeroes, The Phantom Pain is the way to go.

Anyways, have some trailers for The Phantom Pain:

was ground zeroes released at full price? cause that seems a bit low content for the 60 bucks console releases are nowadays.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

No, it was $30 I think. Which was still probably too short for the price. I don't usually fuss over price to length ratios but when compared to what previous MGS games were, and hopefully what Phantom Pain will be, it was like a tenth of the content for half the price.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I believe it was 30 bucks on 360 and PS3, and 40 bucks on PS4 and Xbox One.

Ed: Most people agree that it was too expensive either way. Unless you're a diehard fan who has to own every game, wait for a sale.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lance Streetman posted:

I believe it was 30 bucks on 360 and PS3, and 40 bucks on PS4 and Xbox One.

It was 20 on last-gen and 30 on current-gen.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There's just fewer and fewer reasons to even buy a console these days. Thanks Gabe!

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
The Daily Deal is Always Sometimes Monsters. Has anyone here played it? I'd like to know a little more about it before picking it up. It looks pretty interesting.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

Re: Automatic proxy detection.

Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings and uncheck "Automatically detect settings".

The option usually isn't necessary nor useful in any way, but it does make Steam sluggish.

I don't think this has mattered for going on 2-3 years, that was back when Steam just used IE's rendering engine, now it's all Chromium based.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
So what's the deal with Metro: Last Light? I know it's a visually demanding game, and my computer is middle of the road by modern standards, but the game autodetected my hardware and recommended medium settings, and even on low, I'm getting less than 20 FPS. Is there some feature that's a real CPU hog or something?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

So what's the deal with Metro: Last Light? I know it's a visually demanding game, and my computer is middle of the road by modern standards, but the game autodetected my hardware and recommended medium settings, and even on low, I'm getting less than 20 FPS. Is there some feature that's a real CPU hog or something?

By default, the game uses Supersampling as its anti-aliasing solution of choice. What it's effectively doing is rendering the entire image at double resolution, then scaling down to your monitor. This, understandably, is a goddamn enormous resource hog.

Turn off Supersampling (SSAA) and maybe PhysX stuff and it should run great.

I swapped out Supersampling for the post-processing SMAA anti-aliasing that comes with SweetFX. Almost no performance cost, and splats most of the jagged edges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Man I wish they release the old MGS games on PC. I haven't played one since MGS2 and would love to play through Snake Eater and MGS4 despite/because of all the hokey Kojima story.

• Locked thread