Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
DOCTOR PAC-MAN

Oh my god this is going to be amazing. I hope it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kr movies are rarely amazing, unfortunately

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Twelve by Pies posted:

DOCTOR PAC-MAN

Oh my god this is going to be amazing. I hope it's amazing.

Or it'll be 3/5ths terrible. It does have wizard in it.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

i would like to congratulate pacman on getting his doctorate, presumably in ghost eating

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This looks completely bizzare and I can't wait to see it.

Off the subject I finally got around to watching the 3 western takes on Ultraman. Hanna Barbera's The Adventure Begins is actually surprisingly good (the voice work is decent, the story isn't bad though I'm kind of dissapointed now we didn't get more of it, and it looks better than the actual Ultraman anime), Towards the Future is passable at least (though in some ways it feels even more low-budget than the 1966 original) and Powered is alright enough but there's nothing really that memorable about it as of yet.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 9, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

This looks completely bizzare and I can't wait to see it.

Off the subject I finally got around to watching the 3 western takes on Ultraman. Hanna Barbera's The Adventure Begins is actually surprisingly good (the voice work is decent, the story isn't bad though I'm kind of dissapointed now we didn't get more of it, and it looks better than the actual Ultraman anime), Twords the Future is passable at least (though in some ways it feels even more low-budget than the 1966 original) and Powered is alright enough but there's nothing really that memorable about it as of yet.

Powered is easily the worst of the three though you wouldn't quite realize it early on. The monster suits in Powered generally look gorgeous, really well made, and that's about it. They're fragile as all hell, so they don't ever do anything. The most involved a fight ever is is Ultraman lightly pushing over a monster. Add that to the fact that all of the episodes are poorly made remakes of the original series...

Towards the Future is the first draft of a great series for the first half and then it devolves into eco 90s nonsense. The action scenes are better than Powered, but the monsters and effects are all worse, and Ultraman Great himself looks so much worse with a spandex body suit.

And yeah, the Hanna Barbera Ultraman movie was shockingly good. If it could have kept up that kind of quality for a series, it would have been one of the best 80s action cartoon series ever, easily up there with Transformers and the like. It's biggest problem might have been, oddly enough, the lack of a real toyline.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Ultra suits aren't spandex normally? What are they made out of then?

As for your other point, to be fair Ultraman doesn't really strike me as being quite as toyetic as Kamen Rider and Super Sentai is (though correct me if I'm wrong) seeing as the only real things I could think of to sell are the Ultraman (or Ultramen as the case sometimes may be) including his various forms if he has any, the transformation device, the monsters and maybe some of the ships and gadgets used by that seasons team (I'm guessing shows like X and Orb also sold the cards they used as well). Even that's a decent amount to be fair but still not quite on the level of Toei's shows.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 10, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

The Ultra suits aren't spandex normally? What are they made out of then?

As for your other point, to be fair Ultraman doesn't really strike me as being quite as toyetic as Kamen Rider and Super Sentai is (though correct me if I'm wrong) seeing as the only real things I could think of to sell are the Ultraman (or Ultramen as the case sometimes may be) including his various forms if he has any, the transformation device, the monsters and maybe some of the ships and gadgets used by that seasons team (I'm guessing shows like X and Orb also sold the cards they used as well). Even that's a decent amount to be fair but still not quite on the level of Toei's shows.

The Ultra suits definitely aren't spandex, with the sole exception of Great. You can see the difference if you look at him compared to any other Ultra.

The body suits of Ultramen are traditionally latex/heavily modified wet suits, molded to fit the actor.

And I didn't mean that as a bad point, actually. Older toku in general is less toyetic, but yeah, the Ultraman franchise has never been all that toy happy like Toei shows became over the years.

Just pointing out that the lack of such a toyetic line is likely a bit factor for why Hanna Barbera Ultraman never made it to air. With shows back then, often the toyline came first, even for the shows no one remembers like Sectaurs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

The Ultra suits definitely aren't spandex, with the sole exception of Great. You can see the difference if you look at him compared to any other Ultra.

The body suits of Ultramen are traditionally latex/heavily modified wet suits, molded to fit the actor.

And I didn't mean that as a bad point, actually. Older toku in general is less toyetic, but yeah, the Ultraman franchise has never been all that toy happy like Toei shows became over the years.

Just pointing out that the lack of such a toyetic line is likely a bit factor for why Hanna Barbera Ultraman never made it to air. With shows back then, often the toyline came first, even for the shows no one remembers like Sectaurs.

Fair point, though speaking of which I'm curious if another attempt at bringing Ultraman to the west would ever work (if not an original show maybe something like Power Rangers where they take the Japanese fight footage and add in American actors and footage around it). Though I'm guessing that even today the fact there isn't much of a toyline to back it up would probably mean such a show wouldn't do too well financially.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 10, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Fair point, though speaking of which I'm curious if another attempt at bringing Ultraman to the west would ever work (if not an original show maybe something like Power Rangers where they take the Japanese fight footage and add in American actors and footage around it). Though I'm guessing that even today the fact there isn't much of a toyline to back it up would probably mean such a show wouldn't do too well financially.

The thing is, bringing Ultraman over would require it to be adapted more like...

Well, more like the current Super Hero shows on the CW or other hour long TV shows aimed at older audiences. Ultraman is primarily a family program, aimed at all ages. It always has been, and it slides what specific age group is the focus more than the others from show to show as I'm sure you've noticed.

It airs prime time in Japan for that very reason, not in the kids block that Kamen Rider and Super Sentai get regulated to, and has always been treated with more dignity than Rider or Sentai by the general public. Partly due to who made it, but also because of how it always was presented.

It has that kind of weight to it that the other franchise do not, and would need to be treated as such. Both Powered and Great reflect that, which is why there is liberal, though very minor, cursing in both, and things that happened in them that would neeeeeeeever have happened in MMPR which was being released around the same time.

It would be an interesting tight rope to walk. Ultraman is also just, so much more effects heavy. Doing giant effects is not easy or cheap, and never has been. It's why Ultraman had a time limit to begin with.

So you have to think about its adaptation in those terms. I think we'd be closer to getting a movie for Ultraman, over a TV series, in the States.

Honestly remaking Ultraman the Next wouldn't be a bad idea. It's a very Origin Story kinda retelling of the basics of the franchise, while being its own unique and engaging story.

If it would ever happen who knows. Will Smith might be interested though, he is a fan of the original at the least.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
After this week's Ex-Aid I'm really hoping Snipe's level-generation items are waist-high walls.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/aicnanime/status/785557028890697728

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wait what does that mean

is Garo getting officially brought over to the states?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That seems to be the insinuation. Kraken Releasing is the sci-fi/fantasy arm of Section23, and they've licensed a few Godzilla movies, among other toku-ish things.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
the twist is it's only the bad ones

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-10-10/kraken-releasing-licenses-garo-live-action-series/.107469

First series next year with the others planned for future release.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mikeycp posted:

the twist is it's only the bad ones

don't do that man don't do that

Also

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck yes! Just Goddamn yes!

This is such a great time to be a toku fan

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We're getting closer and closer to the holy grail: A Kamen Rider license

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I honestly couldn't get into the first Garo. I didn't like the main dude at all in the 3 or so eps I watched.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mikeycp posted:

I honestly couldn't get into the first Garo. I didn't like the main dude at all in the 3 or so eps I watched.

Kouga is a gigantic rear end in a top hat and that's part of his entire thing.

He does develop past that, where he just becomes a super sincere rear end in a top hat.

I really love Kouga. Dude lives to do his duty as a knight and everything else is utterly incomprehensible to him.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

O-T will be retiring their torrents of it later tonight.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Waffleman_ posted:

We're getting closer and closer to the holy grail: A Kamen Rider license

Well technically that's happened twice already, with both V3's release by that Hawaiian company, and that Kamen Rider 1 remake also got brought over years ago

If someone did start bringing them over again though, my bet would be on Shout Factory, as they are already doing Super Sentai, so they'd probably be the top choice if Toei decided to try marketing Kamen Rider and Metal Heroes over here

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Toei Exectutive 1: Let's put Akibaranger free on Youtube subbed in English.

Toei Executive 2: Good idea! Should we let the west watch it?

TE1: Why would we do that?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I thought Black Ex-Aid was just something for the Ghost/Ex-Aid crossover movie considering he appeared in the last Ghost episode, but he's actually in the theme song so I guess he's part of the show itself too.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want kamen rider brave to eventually get the upgrade 'world of taddlequest' that turns him into a 5-man team.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ex-Aid is pretty good stuff. I dig it.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I thought Black Ex-Aid was just something for the Ghost/Ex-Aid crossover movie considering he appeared in the last Ghost episode, but he's actually in the theme song so I guess he's part of the show itself too.

The fact that a video game themed Rider has to deal with a palette-swapped version of himself is kind of brilliant.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

Pharohman777 posted:

I want kamen rider brave to eventually get the upgrade 'world of taddlequest' that turns him into a 5-man team.

Taddle Quest Tactics. He uses the powers of shouting and multiplication to defeat the Bugsters.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Simon The Digger posted:

Taddle Quest Tactics. He uses the powers of shouting and multiplication to defeat the Bugsters.

Oh god. He's even called Kamen Rider Brave. He'll spend episodes just shouting to max out his namesake then punch the poo poo out of anything that comes his way.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh god. He's even called Kamen Rider Brave. He'll spend episodes just shouting to max out his namesake then punch the poo poo out of anything that comes his way.

He won't do that until the episode where Emu teaches him to OPEN THE CHESTS GOD DAMMIT HAVEN'T YOU PLAYED A VIDEO GAME YOU SUGAR-ADDICTED EXCUSE FOR A DOCTOR!?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pyroi posted:

He won't do that until the episode where Emu teaches him to OPEN THE CHESTS GOD DAMMIT HAVEN'T YOU PLAYED A VIDEO GAME YOU SUGAR-ADDICTED EXCUSE FOR A DOCTOR!?

I wonder if we, as an American audience, read into the situation with the Director and his son differently from the Japanese audience. Like, we really frown on nepotism so this whole thing seems really shady and pathetic, but my understanding is that a lot of corporate positions in Japan are practically hereditary? So maybe that part of the dynamic isn't really a factor there, and it's just a joke about a dad being way too protective of his adult-rear end son?

Correct me if I'm way off-base here.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Imagine my surprise at actually being drawn into Ex-Aid, despite the shitbox costume. It's got some nice wirework and stunts and the monster designs are great, something that's been lacking since Drive.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

After two episodes, Ex-Aid feels better than the first couple episodes of Ghost, but not quite to the level of Drive's first episodes.

I'm not sure how much I'll stick around though, the level 1 costumes are a touch too goofy for me and the show isn't taking itself serious enough for my tastes. Which is fine, it's about goofy doctors/gamers turning into fat mascot characters and fighting video game viruses. It doesn't have to be serious. The special effects have been pretty great and the garish, brightly colored plastic toy that is the belt actually looks really good and cool so I think I'll stick around to see where the plot goes at least.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah i think it was a given that ex-aid wouldn't be to everyone's taste. but that is different from quality, and it has been good thus far. i kind of hate the pink woman, though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah I'm actually really liking Ex-Aid so far in spite of the designs. Not sure how I feel about the Level 1 forms of the Bugstars looking like they stepped out of Vectorman though but maybe they'll eventually do away with that form as the series goes on.

Unrelated but based on recent scans it seems we will not be getting a new Ultra series immediately after Orb is finished and instead they'll be airing televised versions of the movies and V-Cinemas based around Ultraman Zero (it's collectively being called Ultraman Zero the Chronicle) which is a shame but oh well.

Also question about one of the earlier shows, is it ever explained exactly why 80 would be forced to leave the planet if his identity was revealed (apparently not counting the fact that one of the kids in his class saw him transform without him realizing it in the first episode), as that seems like a pretty stupid rule to me. That aside, Ultraman 80 is probably one of my favorites among the early set if only for the fact that Yamato is such a loveable dork.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 12, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah i think it was a given that ex-aid wouldn't be to everyone's taste. but that is different from quality, and it has been good thus far. i kind of hate the pink woman, though.
I'd bet actual money that her actress is some kind of pop idol.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Larryb posted:

Yeah I'm actually really liking Ex-Aid so far in spite of the designs. Not sure how I feel about the Level 1 forms of the Bugstars looking like they stepped out of Vectorman though but maybe they'll eventually do away with that form as the series goes on.

Well, probably. That's CGI, that's too expensive to do every episode.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Unrelated but based on recent scans it seems we will not be getting a new Ultra series immediately after Orb is finished and instead they'll be airing televised versions of the movies and V-Cinemas based around Ultraman Zero (it's collectively being called Ultraman Zero the Chronicle) which is a shame but oh well.

Also question about one of the earlier shows, is it ever explained exactly why 80 would be forced to leave the planet if his identity was revealed (apparently not counting the fact that one of the kids in his class saw him transform without him realizing it in the first episode), as that seems like a pretty stupid rule to me. That aside, Ultraman 80 is probably one of my favorites among the early set if only for the fact that Yamato is such a loveable dork.

That's unfortunate to hear, though I'm curious about the timing. It might be to pad out the rest of 2016 to later in 2017, which is UltraSeven's 50th anniversary. The fact that Zero, his son, is the focus of the reruns is curious. Seven has always gotten something big for every five year anniversary since the 90s.

For the 80 question- gently caress if I know. They never made it super clear. With the original two Ultramen, it was explicitly because they did not want humanity to rely on their power, and wanted to fight alongside them as equals. Also Dan was an alien posing as a human working with a group that exclusively fought aliens who often posed as humans. So you know.

That kinda fell apart over the years to the point where they just have secret identities because they do.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

The quality is definitely there. Ex-Aid looks pretty phenomenal and it doesn't feel like anyone's phoning it in.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

That's unfortunate to hear, though I'm curious about the timing. It might be to pad out the rest of 2016 to later in 2017, which is UltraSeven's 50th anniversary. The fact that Zero, his son, is the focus of the reruns is curious. Seven has always gotten something big for every five year anniversary since the 90s.

For the 80 question- gently caress if I know. They never made it super clear. With the original two Ultramen, it was explicitly because they did not want humanity to rely on their power, and wanted to fight alongside them as equals. Also Dan was an alien posing as a human working with a group that exclusively fought aliens who often posed as humans. So you know.

That kinda fell apart over the years to the point where they just have secret identities because they do.

I see, so does that particular rule end up actually mattering at some point in 80 or just an artificial way of building tension (as I would think that particular restriction would kind of defeat the point of him coming to Earth in the first place, not to mention the fact that none of his predecessors ever had such a rule to follow). Though honestly the whole secret identity thing doesn't really bother me all that much in most Ultra shows (except Cosmos, where it became annoying after a while).

Another Ultraseven series could be interesting. Though if they really needed to stall for time I wonder if a fourth attempt at an Ultra Q show would go over well in this day and age. Speaking of which, Dark Fantasy is almost literally the Twilight Zone, so far there have only been about 2 episodes that actually involve suited monsters. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, it's just kind of weird to see in a franchise like this.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

I see, so does that particular rule end up actually mattering at some point in 80 or just an artificial way of building tension (as I would think that particular restriction would kind of defeat the point of him coming to Earth in the first place, not to mention the fact that none of his predecessors ever had such a rule to follow). Though honestly the whole secret identity thing doesn't really bother me all that much in most Ultra shows (except Cosmos, where it became annoying after a while).

Another Ultraseven series could be interesting. Though if they really needed to stall for time I wonder if a fourth attempt at an Ultra Q show would go over well in this day and age. Speaking of which, Dark Fantasy is almost literally the Twilight Zone, so far there have only been about 2 episodes that actually involve suited monsters. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, it's just kind of weird to see in a franchise like this.

We actually had a new Ultra Q series not too long ago. I know virtually nothing about it, sadly.

Dark Fantasy, the second series, is very Twilight Zone, but to be fair that was the intent with the original Ultra Q. It's just Tsuburaya was a monster guy and that's what got the show really famous.

For 80, I don't think it ever becomes relevant. Him being a teacher doesn't stay relevant either which is the saddest thing about the show

• Locked thread