Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
The first FM I ever played was 20. I got really into it despite not knowing what in the god drat hell I was doing. I didn't play 21 that much for whatever reason.

I was really winging it in 20 when I set up my game. I want to do 22 right. Any tips for setting my sim up in terms of leagues, management etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

IMB posted:

The first FM I ever played was 20. I got really into it despite not knowing what in the god drat hell I was doing. I didn't play 21 that much for whatever reason.

I was really winging it in 20 when I set up my game. I want to do 22 right. Any tips for setting my sim up in terms of leagues, management etc?

The extra leagues you load depends on what kind of save you want to play.
If you want an active transfer market, have a range of leagues available from a similar geographical area - e.g. you're managing in England, so add Wales, Scotland, N.Ireland + France, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy, Holland. If you're expecting to be managing in the top couple of leagues, then there's probably no need to add the lowest tiers from any given country.

If you're playing at lower levels, you'll want to load lower tiers - again - in similar quality leagues to give you the best chance of signing players. So...
Probably the easiest thing is just say what kind of save you're looking to play, and let people give you specific advice.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

kingturnip posted:

The extra leagues you load depends on what kind of save you want to play.
If you want an active transfer market, have a range of leagues available from a similar geographical area - e.g. you're managing in England, so add Wales, Scotland, N.Ireland + France, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy, Holland. If you're expecting to be managing in the top couple of leagues, then there's probably no need to add the lowest tiers from any given country.

If you're playing at lower levels, you'll want to load lower tiers - again - in similar quality leagues to give you the best chance of signing players. So...
Probably the easiest thing is just say what kind of save you're looking to play, and let people give you specific advice.

I'm obviously not smart or hardcore enough to take a lower level club through promotion etc. I'm sure I'll end up with a team in the prem trying to win the champions league and so on. I need a transfer budget to play with and players I recognize or ill be out of it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
If youre comfortable with the basics of team building you can do the championship. Their budgets are good enough you only get outbid by top tier teams and getting promoted to the prem is fun and than you get flooded with cash monies.

I like taking Millwall all the way because I saw them play while I was in London with my father and got piss drunk and walked to the stadium from the Blue Anchor and its one of my most cherished memories.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I would say if you're playing a Big Club save load Atleast the top 5 European leagues, Brazil, Argentina and Chile (so the world cup doesn't become so eurocentric.)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IMB posted:

I'm obviously not smart or hardcore enough to take a lower level club through promotion etc. I'm sure I'll end up with a team in the prem trying to win the champions league and so on. I need a transfer budget to play with and players I recognize or ill be out of it.

If you want to run a big club run, start with England, France, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Brazil and Argentina at the minimum to get some good players in the long run. Running some extra leagues, like Chile, Turkey, Russia, Belgium or Ukraine gives you more options without losing too much in processing power. Since they create more newgens, you also get better players on these leagues, which means better competition (and of course, more unknown 16 year olds for your transfer budget)

If you're looking for teams to pick in FM22 you could for the top and choose Liverpool, City or United (they're always godlike no matter what and now they have ronaldo) and you'll have a very accessible game. PSG, Bayern Munich, Real and Atletico Madrid are also powerhouses for some quick wins.

Personally, I'd suggest something near the top but not already dominating so that you can be in a very strong position but still feel some notable growth and progression. For this, you have great teams like Totenham, Lyon, Borussia Dortmund, Atalanta, or Sporting CP.

As an aside, don't bother too much with not recognizing players. Some of the most fun of the game is to pick up unknown players, particularly newgens, and see them develop over the years at the club.

I still recall some of the heroes of my Benfica 2017 game that reached 2031. Alex Mano, Heitor Fajardo, Svendsen, Blas Klomp. Absolute legends of the newgen world :)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you're loading less than 124k players then I don't want to know you.

Nation - As far down as it goes
Region - At least a tier below the one you're starting at/As far down as it goes
Continent - Every top division you can name a team from off the top of your head, plus a second tier of major nations
World - Any top divisions, if you feel like it.
Custom database size add every current international player for every region that won't be adequately covered by the above.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

Mans posted:

I still recall some of the heroes of my Benfica 2017 game that reached 2031. Alex Mano, Heitor Fajardo, Svendsen, Blas Klomp. Absolute legends of the newgen world :)

This is why I get so excited when I see Thiago Almada to MLS news on twitter. He turned into Messi for me in FM20.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

IMB posted:

Yeah, seconding pick a team just under the top level, it's boring playing as one of the very top teams (though obviously YMMV, some people seem to like it). I've played most new releases for {poo poo, that's a long time} and I still normally start a new one by picking someone at the level of, say, Everton just to get used to it: a few really good players, large enough transfer budget to buy a few more, few current players that are crap but will still raise quite a bit of cash, and won't get bored straightaway. I'm a Newcastle fan so I did always pick them first, but they just unlocked one of the cheat codes so :shrug:

Edit: re dB size, if you play prem you'll have an issue signing anyone lower leagues that isn't UK because work permits (though obvs can ship them to a feeder club, but that takes ages). You want every possible league in the UK tho. My current dumb but extremely satisfying transfer market tactic that works because of this: max out facilities + gold coaches as much as is viable, search for players under 20 who have pace >= 15 and cost less than say 100k, scout the ones that seem to have good physical attributes or look ok. Scout will always say they're poo poo (edit: occasionally they won't, in which case need to buy as they'll be very good indeed). If the scout gives them 1½ stars or up and the report says could improve, particularly if teamwork is good, scout is wrong, buy them, they'll probably be good enough in a year or two to get in first team or if not at least be sold for a nice price.

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 5, 2021

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

If you're loading less than 124k players then I don't want to know you.

Loading enough players the game warns me about the database size has never been a problem for me (who's never played one save past five years.)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

RobertKerans posted:

Edit: re dB size, if you play prem you'll have an issue signing anyone lower leagues that isn't UK because work permits (though obvs can ship them to a feeder club, but that takes ages). You want every possible league in the UK tho. My current dumb but extremely satisfying transfer market tactic that works because of this: max out facilities + gold coaches as much as is viable, search for players under 20 who have pace >= 15 and cost less than say 100k, scout the ones that seem to have good physical attributes or look ok. Scout will always say they're poo poo (edit: occasionally they won't, in which case need to buy as they'll be very good indeed). If the scout gives them 1½ stars or up and the report says could improve, particularly if teamwork is good, scout is wrong, buy them, they'll probably be good enough in a year or two to get in first team or if not at least be sold for a nice price.

I really don't see the point of money-making schemes like this. If you're in a league where you can happily spend £100k on guys to sit in the reserves or go out on loan you really don't need to work for your profits.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're in the lower leagues and need bodies then get some loans.

People are really shy about loans, get as many of those blue names as possible.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Can't stand whiny emails from other managers asking why I'm not playing their poo poo loanee left-back the agreed number of minutes

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the sex ghost posted:

Can't stand whiny emails from other managers asking why I'm not playing their poo poo loanee left-back the agreed number of minutes
same but otoh i take every chance i get to send out those same emails

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Mans posted:

also if you're semi pro, non contracts are completely insane value, you can have man city tier squad depth for your level and just win games via never having fatigued players.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

sassassin posted:

I really don't see the point of money-making schemes like this. If you're in a league where you can happily spend £100k on guys to sit in the reserves or go out on loan you really don't need to work for your profits.

Not bothered about the money making, that's just a nice bonus if the club isn't the richest (as it is, once been in CM for several years, IME board just announce ridiculous amounts of transfer budget available then I never spend it & get a crap rating on transfer acumen). It's so good because it feels awesome playing a load of players you've pulled from non-league, IME get a lot more attached to them than just buying rando wonderkids, actually got to focus on training them. Like at the minute I've got a striker I got from Hereford for 45k who's just gone into the form of his life, + a right back being mentored by Tariq Lamptey who I got from Guisely for 20k & who'll be his replacement + my club captain cost £130k from Hemel Hempstead. And their families will be so proud! They'll have been playing part-time, hoping to get a break, then I've just swooped in and now they're playing in the CL.

Edit: having a team that cost like 20p smashing PSG to pieces because it's a team rather than a collection of the current most expensive attackers is also immensely satisfying

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 5, 2021

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I played for the first time since the mid-beta patch last night. I was never too impressed by the new graphics/motion/dribbling thing, but after the patch it's like they flicked a switch. It's as if they were doing A/B testing or something else glitched out on me because suddenly the players were doing all kinds of crazy turns and stuff they weren't doing before. It was very impressive.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mans posted:

I don't like being unable to fine my players when they play like horseshit or get sent off

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

RobertKerans posted:

This is good advice for me personally because I'm sure I don't fully grasp all the coaches/trainers dynamics. I'm pretty sure in 20 I was setting records for coach turnover every year.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

ItohRespectArmy posted:

also if you're semi pro, non contracts are completely insane value, you can have man city tier squad depth for your level and just win games via never having fatigued players.

Even if you're professional... 2nd Division in the Netherlands and I'm trying to do a DoF+scouting network game*, one of our best players signed on an amateur contract at insanely low wages.

For some reason they don't want to go pro for us since they "don't think the club's finances are good enough" but are refusing offers from other clubs to stay on poverty wages...

I think it's something to do with how non-eu player salaries work for the Netherlands, but I'm not complaining.

*: No manager involvement in scouting / contract negotiation except to ask the DoF to sign certain players from the scouting reports & final yes/no so ai can stop the 80% crap decisions the DoF makes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't like being unable to fine my players when they play like horseshit or get sent off

Just yell at the screen it does the same amount of good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shazback posted:

I think it's something to do with how non-eu player salaries work for the Netherlands, but I'm not complaining.

Min. salary for non-EU players in the Netherlands is massive, maybe £3.5k/week in the second tier and double that in the Eredivisie. It's not a good country to start a South American sweatshop in.

Stick to Eastern Europe and Scandinavia for affordable talent (although iirc the second tier is mostly semi pro and acaemy teams so even then it's tough).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

IMB posted:

This is good advice for me personally because I'm sure I don't fully grasp all the coaches/trainers dynamics. I'm pretty sure in 20 I was setting records for coach turnover every year.

The good news is it barely matters. Training doesn't have a huge effect after a player turns 18, and the difference between a couple of coaching stars in certain training areas is fractions of fractions. The training module is fun but once you take care or resting and match prep (tactical familiarity, team cohesion, next match bonuses), the remainder is just roleplaying for all the practical difference it makes.

You have to go to extremes to ever get an actual, visible difference in a player's attributes over a few years. And if you do that it can upset players and that will harm you far more than any cunning plan you come up with to create a squad of physical monsters with daily Resistance work.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

sassassin posted:

Min. salary for non-EU players in the Netherlands is massive, maybe £3.5k/week in the second tier and double that in the Eredivisie. It's not a good country to start a South American sweatshop in.

Might be a bug / oversight then. I'll look at it this evening / weekend when I play again, but I'm pretty sure he's non-EU (only Venezuelan nationality, no second nationality / eligibility) and on an amateur contract around 200€/week. Perhaps I missed something though.

EDIT : Indeed, seems to be something that shouldn't be allowed, submitted to SI.

Shazback fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 5, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

sassassin posted:

The good news is it barely matters. Training doesn't have a huge effect after a player turns 18, and the difference between a couple of coaching stars in certain training areas is fractions of fractions. The training module is fun but once you take care or resting and match prep (tactical familiarity, team cohesion, next match bonuses), the remainder is just roleplaying for all the practical difference it makes.

You have to go to extremes to ever get an actual, visible difference in a player's attributes over a few years. And if you do that it can upset players and that will harm you far more than any cunning plan you come up with to create a squad of physical monsters with daily Resistance work.

Yeah I just rotate Overall/Outfield/Attacking/Defending/Physical in whatever slots are available after accounting for Rest, Teamwork, Team Cohesion, and Match Preview/Match Review (so like 5 slots in a one-game week and 0-1 in a two-game week).

Half the team is always grumpy about not enough [esoteric training type] training, gently caress 'em. On the rare occasions there's no game in a week I'll throw a few of the ultra specific training types in to make them shut up for a week but even then it's usually an international break so they're not there anyway.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Half the team is always grumpy about not enough [esoteric training type] training, gently caress 'em. On the rare occasions there's no game in a week I'll throw a few of the ultra specific training types in to make them shut up for a week but even then it's usually an international break so they're not there anyway.

I occasionally get this despite being a semi-pro club. They want specific training and we might have four slots in a week if we only have one game which is about enough to get them match ready, with occasional set piece preparation for big matches.

Maybe if I keep getting into Europe the club will go pro? With our average attendance of 245.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You can avoid most complaints by scheduling one General - Physical and one General - Goalkeeping session each week, and winning games so the players aren't looking for excuses.

I usually stop doing game reviews once the team is up to speed in familiarity and cohesion. The Teamwork match prep is also one to stop doing mid-season, as Team Bonding carries the same matchday bonus for some reason, and you've got to have a night out with the lads once a week.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Teamwork's the first one I drop when I have fixture congestion and need to squeeze in another general training session yeah. But I've never dropped Match Review, dunno what I'd replace it with since I generally don't have my team train the day after a match. Might try it out but, eh, what's the point really.

Doing Set Piece Delivery once every 2-3 weeks does seem to make a difference to me, but that might just be random fluctuation my brain reads as meaningful. Does it have a per-match effect, or does it literally just train the Corners/Free Kicks/Long Throws attributes?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
All of the set piece trainings have a "next match" flag tho I think they are also general set piece training

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Shazback posted:

Might be a bug / oversight then. I'll look at it this evening / weekend when I play again, but I'm pretty sure he's non-EU (only Venezuelan nationality, no second nationality / eligibility) and on an amateur contract around 200€/week. Perhaps I missed something though.

Dutch, Belgian and Portuguese (sometimes Austrian, too) amateur teams can be great for producing non-EU newgens, particularly if you're retained players from non-EU countries but don't have those leagues loaded. Admittedly, we're talking 10+ years into a save.
The biggest problem is that these players have second nationalities. Bad luck, Mongolia, I guess this kid's going to keep hoping that Austria call him up.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
How the hell do I pick a club captain when every good option upsets half the team? This is driving me nuts, I've had it applied to someone who seems perfect (professional, popular, very high leadership) and the only good choice and half the squad are absolutely fuming about it. Every other popular option is highly unprofessional/low leadership or hates being captain.

Edit: also including Jack Jack in the team seems to have upset the careful rotation balance I had, I pissed off several players and my wonderkid academy striker and my wonderkid academy winger both requested transfers but they are, respectively unprofessional/causing disruption, & unprofessional and "very enigmatic" so screw em.

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 6, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

RobertKerans posted:

How the hell do I pick a club captain when every good option upsets half the team? This is driving me nuts, I've had it applied to someone who seems perfect (professional, popular, very high leadership) and the only good choice and half the squad are absolutely fuming about it. Every other popular option is highly unprofessional/low leadership or hates being captain.

Tell them to gently caress off and deal with it

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
Hmm one of the complainers is approaching Messi-level good and another is basically Gareth Bale in terms of attributes so I'm hesitant to upset them *too* much.

Edit: Tbf all the "very popular" players are relaxed/lazy/enigmatic and I need to kick them into shape so yes gently caress em

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is it the new captain upsetting everyone, or that you're replacing the old captain?

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
I made the whole team out of kids originally (all mid-late 20s now), and I had to have no captain (I'd set the captain when the game asked, then remove them straight after so the game just auto picked the captain each game, which quelled any dissent) for ages because they all either reacted badly to being made captain or the rest of the team hated them for it. And now one of the kids is 26, popular, core group, squad leader, very high leadership, professional. So I make him captain, half the team think that was a *really* bad choice, to the extent it's actually affecting morale afaics (NB had cycled through all other viable options, and they came out worse). Thought that would settle after months but nope they still hate him being in charge.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They'd formed a community of equals and you despoiled it with an official hierarchy.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
This is also my reading of the fictional situation! Warning signs were there early on when three of the current crop's favoured player (to they extent they wanted to emulate him) was a rando reserve team player charitably described as having a relaxed attitude.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
can someone post a few simple words about how to manage training, rest and team cohesion? Specifically in the Championship I guess if it matters. I've not played since like FM19 and I don't recall how to do all this

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Do Teamwork and Match Preview before every match, do Team Bonding once a week, do one session of rest every day (and Recovery after a match), and fill in the rest with a rotation of Overall, Outfield, Physical, Attacking, Defending (all under the General category). I like to squeeze in Defensive Positioning and/or Set Piece Delivery before a big match. That's pretty much it. Players will bitch and moan, ignore them.

When there's fixture congestion you'll just have to go a day here and there without the Rest session to squeeze in your Team Bonding and match prep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waroduce posted:

can someone post a few simple words about how to manage training, rest and team cohesion? Specifically in the Championship I guess if it matters. I've not played since like FM19 and I don't recall how to do all this

The Championship is a horrid league where you get little time to train. 50+ games a season is inhumane. Fortunately clubs are rich enough to maintain big squads. Rotating your starting 11 proactively can help a lot, as there won't be enough rest days available with a Weds/Sat schedule to keep a small squad fit and firing.

In quieter leagues I would recommend either scheduling a third session some days (ES) or going into the Rest tab and changing the Automatic settings to Double Intensity when players are full condition. I wouldn't suggest that in the EFL. Apart from a weekly Team Bonding session the ES should always be Rest. Recovery and no training the day after each game. Yes, even if you lose and are angry at the team.

Early in a save/season you want most of your training time dedicated to sessions that raise Team Cohesion and the different aspects of Tactical Familiarity. Don't worry about attribute training at all. Read the tooltips for which sessions help each area, Match Prep are generally good and low intensity, and include matchday buffs that last two weeks so are quite simple to keep active. Tactical sessions are surprisingly poor/limited.

Make sure you have a Performance Analyst on staff to do Match Preview/Review sessions before and after each game, these help a lot for building squad familiarity.

Try to schedule a Physical training and a Goalkeeper training (mostly to give outfield players time to work on their individual focus) each week. Cuts out many complaints.

Once Cohesion is a healthy green, and tactics are fluid, feel free to switch in some more attribute training sessions, but as it's the Championship you probably won't get room for many anyway. Gametime should keep young players developing, and you'll buy a whole new squad in the PL anyway.