Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Penny Arcade guys are notorious and chronic shitheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

I don't remember when I found out that the PA guys were huge assholes, but man they really take the cake.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Someone retweeted this into my feed today and I was reminded how great it is:

https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/677966778417283072

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Serf posted:

I don't remember when I found out that the PA guys were huge assholes, but man they really take the cake.

Yeah, they had a pretty decent reputation for years, but multiple instances of them petty jerks has really soured them on me. The most immediate-to-mind one was the whole 'Dickwolves' thing, where they made a rape joke in a comic, someone said 'maybe don't make lovely rape jokes' and they a) called her out on it, resulting in all their fans going after her and b) started selling 'dickwolf' t-shirts as an extra gently caress-you.

If I'm remembering the timeframe correctly, they only quieted down when it became apparent that all the attention was negatively impacting their children's toy charity.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
They Kickstarted an internet reality show about webcomics and it was a garbage fire because they had zero charisma and spent most of their time constantly apologizing for eliminating people despite being the ones who made it a competition with eliminations in the first place.

Also the prize that the winner got was being the uncredited artist of another comic strip on their network.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Jesse Thorn from JJGO! wrote up a tumblr post about some Penny Arcade debacle he unwittingly found himself in. Really paints those PA dudes as giant scumbags if it's true. It's a good read, link here.
I had previously just been piecing it together from listening to part of that "lost episode" and from certain threads in various JJGO! eps. Thanks for posting this.

I mean, just listening was enough for me to judge before, but yeah, the PA guys are really just the worst to everyone except specific segments of their fan base.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I enjoyed the hell outta their D&D game, which got me to run my own campaign. But the more they kept making appearances and generally talking about themselves the more you realize they are terrible people. Now that the only guy who seemed to be on the level is gone I expect them to get even worse.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I wonder what made Jesse decide to post about this now? It was kind of a known thing before but I don't think he'd written anything like this about it until now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well he says that despite it being a kind of small thing a few years ago, people bring it up a lot, so he's probably just setting the record straight.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Serf posted:

I enjoyed the hell outta their D&D game, which got me to run my own campaign. But the more they kept making appearances and generally talking about themselves the more you realize they are terrible people.

This is only tangential to the discussion at hand, but Scott Kurtz and Wil Wheaton were participating in those D&D games, and then apparently Kurtz said or did something so vile that Wheaton dropped out of the game and refuses to interact with the guy ever again. I really want to know what happened there.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Bobulus posted:

This is only tangential to the discussion at hand, but Scott Kurtz and Wil Wheaton were participating in those D&D games, and then apparently Kurtz said or did something so vile that Wheaton dropped out of the game and refuses to interact with the guy ever again. I really want to know what happened there.
https://wilwheaton.tumblr.com/post/120140274049/ive-been-watching-some-older-acquisitions-inc

quote:

Scott Kurtz is a person who I had to regretfully remove from my life, because he was lovely not only to me, but to people I love. Repeatedly. I won’t ever do anything with him again, and that’s sad to me, because we really did have fun doing those podcasts.

I dislike Scott Kurtz somewhat less than the PA boys, but it's still really easy to imagine he could mouth off in such a way to offend someone that much. Dude was (probably still is?) super opinionated and completely unconcerned with how people feel about something he says before he says it.

He's a lot easier to take when paired with Kris Straub, but then again just better to go purestrain Straub at that point.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bobulus posted:

Geez. Now Wil Wheaton is the last guy from that podcast that I still like. The weird thing to me is that he and Kurtz seemed to have the most chemistry. I can't even imagine what that dude did.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

PA is literally the Old Guard of gamer culture. They had probably the first 'dudes sit on couch and talk about video games' comic and they've been doing it for almost 20 years. They were doing comics about how dare attractive, popular people play OUR GAMES a decade before Gamergate decided only pasty straight geeks were allowed to hold controllers. It's absolutely no shock that they are tremendous shitheads.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Penny Arcade is the worst and I really wish some alternative to PAX would show up and become something major because it's just repellent in so many different ways

remember when, after lots of criticism on how unwelcome PAX was getting to anyone who wasn't a straight white dude, they decided that the thing to do was to sequester all minority devs into a 'Diversity Lounge' where all those Diverse people were free to Be Diverse separate from the rest of the convention

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
My hot PA take is that the skinny one with shark teeth was probably picked on a lot when young and now thinks he's getting revenge by getting people harassed with a tweet or blog post, and the short goblin one is probably legit into bestiality.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

poor life choice posted:

My hot PA take is that the skinny one with shark teeth was probably picked on a lot when young and now thinks he's getting revenge by getting people harassed with a tweet or blog post, and the short goblin one is probably legit into bestiality.

The skinny one has straight up said that's the case. Like, that works maybe once or twice but considering he's almost always the one to go on the Mr Toad's Wild Ride of "gently caress YOU FOR SAYING SOMETHING ABOUT ME" to "Oh god I'm being bullied by people, oh god it's just my bullying PTSD acting up again I can't help it and if anything you're the bad guy now..." that excuse means absolutely nothing.

Also yea I think the short one fucks dogs. Just, like, recreationally. I don't think it has anything to do with the PA 'empire' or anything.

The fact that they were able to ride 'no guys we were the FIRST ones to do 'lovely white nerds whine about comics on a sofa' as a webcomic' into becoming genuine heavy hitters in the gaming world is all the proof you need this is a garbage hobby for garbage people.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

On a more positive note, the middlest cousin arrived.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

flatluigi posted:

Penny Arcade is the worst and I really wish some alternative to PAX would show up and become something major because it's just repellent in so many different ways

remember when, after lots of criticism on how unwelcome PAX was getting to anyone who wasn't a straight white dude, they decided that the thing to do was to sequester all minority devs into a 'Diversity Lounge' where all those Diverse people were free to Be Diverse separate from the rest of the convention

And then it was filled with the white guy entourage of the worse one.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Wow, those people are almost as terrible as their webcomic.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Griffin is doing some real solid Vine work today

https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/791759864854876160

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bobulus posted:

If I'm remembering the timeframe correctly, they only quieted down when it became apparent that all the attention was negatively impacting their children's toy charity.

Then, literal years after it blew up into a Thing and apropros of basically nothing whatsoever, they decided to passive-aggressively whine about how they should've never apologized/walked back the dickwolves thing on stage at PAX as their lovely audience full of neckbearded losers gleefully yelled "Dickwolves!"

Sure is making an accommodating and inclusive atmosphere for rape survivors there. Sure doesn't make you look petulant and like intentional poo poo-stirrers.

Dr. Scheme
Apr 28, 2013

quote:

Penny Arcade Drama

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Penny Arcade drama, you say? Don't mind if I do!

Remember that time they posted a single job offering that demanded the work of roughly four different full-time employees while claiming that they wouldn't pay you a lot because they totally weren't about the money, maaaan?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Then, literal years after it blew up into a Thing and apropros of basically nothing whatsoever, they decided to passive-aggressively whine about how they should've never apologized/walked back the dickwolves thing on stage at PAX as their lovely audience full of neckbearded losers gleefully yelled "Dickwolves!"

Sure is making an accommodating and inclusive atmosphere for rape survivors there. Sure doesn't make you look petulant and like intentional poo poo-stirrers.

I was in that audience. The tension in the room when they brought it up again was extremely high. I mean it's a real shame because PAX was basically my favourite thing ever because there were internet friends I would only see at PAX and it was nice to be able to be a loving nerdass nerd when I don't get to normally do that. I haven't been in a few years because it's too drat expensive, but I've always seen those guys are just really socially awkward dudes with a lot of issues who shouldn't be role models, but they made a fun expo and they have a nice charity, so as long as they're not actively hurting anyone maybe it's okay?

Also I liked their little webseries about finding new webcomic artists, and she got more than uncredited work. She got her own webcomic added as part of their giant network with a lot of visibility, she got a fair amount of money, and she got a paying job working on webcomics. It's not a million dollars, but it's what they offered as a prize and people signed up. I liked it cause the people seemed nice and I learned about a few cool webcomics from it.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I'm going to PAX next weekend and literally have no connection in my head between the awesome fun con I'm going to be enjoying and the muppetty people behind it; I completely divorced them from each other in my thought process and just ignore everything they're doing themselves there and enjoy everything else.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Asiina posted:

I was in that audience. The tension in the room when they brought it up again was extremely high. I mean it's a real shame because PAX was basically my favourite thing ever because there were internet friends I would only see at PAX and it was nice to be able to be a loving nerdass nerd when I don't get to normally do that. I haven't been in a few years because it's too drat expensive, but I've always seen those guys are just really socially awkward dudes with a lot of issues who shouldn't be role models, but they made a fun expo and they have a nice charity, so as long as they're not actively hurting anyone maybe it's okay?

Also I liked their little webseries about finding new webcomic artists, and she got more than uncredited work. She got her own webcomic added as part of their giant network with a lot of visibility, she got a fair amount of money, and she got a paying job working on webcomics. It's not a million dollars, but it's what they offered as a prize and people signed up. I liked it cause the people seemed nice and I learned about a few cool webcomics from it.

Abby Howard came in second on Strip Search and she rules, Erika Moen came in second and she's a flaming human pile of garbage, so it kind of evens out.

My only other opinions of Penny Arcade are that my boyfriend posts on the forum and I make fun of him for it, and also I had to go downtown while PAX west was happening this year and everyone was just straight sitting in the middle of the sidewalk and I hated it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

iajanus posted:

I'm going to PAX next weekend and literally have no connection in my head between the awesome fun con I'm going to be enjoying and the muppetty people behind it; I completely divorced them from each other in my thought process and just ignore everything they're doing themselves there and enjoy everything else.

Exactly. The first few years I was super into the PA "culture" where I went to all their panels and signed up for all the extra stuff but after that it just became a place to hang out with friends I rarely got to see, to play some new games and try out new technology I could never afford, talk to indie devs, and get sweet rear end stuff from various developer panels (gearbox gave the best stuff). Also all the streetpass your 3DS can handle.

Plus I got to meet Wil Wheaton on an escalator and he took a selfie with me and was very nice.

EDIT:

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Abby Howard came in second on Strip Search and she rules, Erika Moen came in second and she's a flaming human pile of garbage, so it kind of evens out.

Yeah I was referencing Abby Howard who I think is great and I'm happy that the show happened so I could learn about her and her stuff.

Asiina fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 28, 2016

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Asiina posted:

Exactly. The first few years I was super into the PA "culture" where I went to all their panels and signed up for all the extra stuff but after that it just became a place to hang out with friends I rarely got to see, to play some new games and try out new technology I could never afford, talk to indie devs, and get sweet rear end stuff from various developer panels (gearbox gave the best stuff). Also all the streetpass your 3DS can handle.

wait, are you me?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Who's Erika Moen?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Asiina posted:

they made a fun expo and they have a nice charity, so as long as they're not actively hurting anyone maybe it's okay?

I don't have my conversion chart handy, how much does your charity have to raise before it cancels out harassing rape victims again?

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
I'm just honestly surprised the Penny Arcade guys haven't just completely melted down and tried to destroy each other in earnest, especially after watching their web show years ago and getting the distinct impression that they're just really, really lucky and hateful dorks who never had something knock them on their asses to make them rethink how they act in the world after they became successful because they had a work horse businessman running their poo poo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I was wondering how long it'd take for the PA derail to reach its logical conclusion

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't like Penny Arcade but I do honestly find Jesse Thorn kind of self righteous and annoying. I didn't at first but the more I listened to his shows the less I liked him, in a process that took about two years.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Who's Erika Moen?

She writes a comic right now called Oh Joy Sex Toy where she and her husband review sex toys. She's pretty well known in queer internet circles and has been doing comics for years, though, and in that time has said some gross fetish-y stuff about trans men and sex workers.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

greatn posted:

I don't like Penny Arcade but I do honestly find Jesse Thorn kind of self righteous and annoying. I didn't at first but the more I listened to his shows the less I liked him, in a process that took about two years.

I go really back and forth on Jesse. He certainly has good work ethic and has done a lot with what he was given, and I respect him for it. Unfortunately I think he's more defensive than he'd like to admit and makes really forced attempts to assert his breadth of knowledge. I wish he would chill on making super obscure references about poo poo just to prove something. But he has excellent taste and can curate poo poo really well, and when he feels comfortable he can toss a good joke or two. He can really be insufferable sometimes though, goddamn.

Also, I think we can all agree that Bryan Fernandez needs to get over himself because there's no one in the world that can laugh that goddamn much at nothing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Help me workshop this:
Penny Arr!!Can't-get-Laid

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

She writes a comic right now called Oh Joy Sex Toy where she and her husband review sex toys. She's pretty well known in queer internet circles and has been doing comics for years, though, and in that time has said some gross fetish-y stuff about trans men and sex workers.

I don't know what she said about sex workers but she made a stupid comic that was less than informed about trans men years ago and has constantly said she was stupid and wrong and sorry since so I think we can cross that off the Internet Shame List at least.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

She let diaperfurs make a guest comic on her sex webcomic thing, so there's that

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm a big fan of My Brother, My Brother and Me and all related content, idk about you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm a big fan of My Brother, My Brother and Me and all related content, idk about you guys

Sorry but I'm only interested in complaining online