Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Lovechop posted:

so who is everyone's NA/ EU mvp? i guess it has to be bjerg or dl for NA and trick for EU. mikyx and biofrost will easily grab the rookie awards.

i was also trying to think of who i'd choose for the all star team but man eu's top lane is in a pretty dire state at the moment..

NA
Top: Ray - technically not the "best" Top in the region, but APX couldn't win a single game this split that he didn't carry
Jungle: Reignover/Dardoch/Inori tie - it was weird to see this much talent in jungle in NA. This could have just been Reignover by himself, but he lost step this split
Mid: Bjerg - obv
ADC: Doublelift - this was a tough split for ADCs, but I think that Dlift was the most consistent
Support: Adrian - voting with my heart
Rook: Biofrost - Inori and Ray both had flashes this split, but BF was more consistent and probably had more pressure on him to perform than any other rookie this split

EU
Top: SmittyJ - top was a weak position in EU this split. SmittyJ was the only one that stood out for me
Jungle: Trick - obv
Mid: Night - you could maybe make a case for Perkz or Sencucks, but I think that Night did more with less
ADC: Zven - obv
Support: Mithy - obv
Rook: Mikyx - There weren't a ton of rookies to choose from in EU this split since no challenger teams made it through and Schalke kept Elements' roster in tact for some reason... I don't think Mikyx was spectacular but his closest competition was Toaster and Police so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Since all I care about are raw numbers I would just vote for the leaders in average fantasy points per game at each position. I gotta say there's a few surprises here.

EU:
Top: Expect (G2 eSports)
Jungle: Trick (G2 eSports)
Middle: Sencux (Splyce)
ADC: Zven (G2 eSports)
Support: Mithy (G2 eSports)

NA:
Top: Ray (Apex)
Jungle: Reignover (Immortals)
Middle: Jensen (Cloud 9)
ADC: Sneaky (Cloud 9)
Support: Biofrost (TSM)

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Lovechop posted:

so who is everyone's NA/ EU mvp? i guess it has to be bjerg or dl for NA and trick for EU. mikyx and biofrost will easily grab the rookie awards.

i was also trying to think of who i'd choose for the all star team but man eu's top lane is in a pretty dire state at the moment..

Not to take anything away from how Biofrost has played this split, but what Inori has done with a last place roster impresses me a lot more than a support on a team with the #1 and #2 candidates for MVP.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i would actually second inori if only because he turned the season around for loving p1 who people were expecting to not win a single game.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Inori was the true solo queue all-star in a season that looked like dynamic queue. One man with a 4-stack against nothing but 5-stacks. Triumphing through sheer force of carry-from-jungle will.

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I could go either way. Inori carried more games while Biofrost was more consistent. You could argue that Inori did more with less, but you could also argue that Biofrost had to perform under more pressure.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

lol if you think an award is going to come from a bottom tier team , even if well deserved

stump collector
May 28, 2007
if players voted on role mvp it'd probably go to biofrost after the work he's done this split

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Firebert posted:

Not to take anything away from how Biofrost has played this split, but what Inori has done with a last place roster impresses me a lot more than a support on a team with the #1 and #2 candidates for MVP.

I'd give it to Inori because of how awful P1 was without him, but it's important to remember that TSM wasn't nearly this good last split. They made a great run in the spring playoffs, but during the regular season they were a completely average team (they tied for fifth with NRG at 9-9) and Doublelift looked mediocre playing next to a support with a better track record of success than Doublelift had. So it's not like Biofrost joined a completely dominant team - his play and synergy with his teammates is a large part of the reason they're far and away the best looking team in the NA, and probably the west as a whole, rather than being just a playoff team with the talent to make a good run.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i got my worlds semis ticket :toot:

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Inori went from underrated to insanely overrated in the span of about 5 posts. He had a great split, was an exciting player, and a decent bright spot on a bad team, but he's not even in the discussion for best NA jungler let alone split MVP.

I think the NA MVP will go to Doublelift or Bjergsen depending on who Riot wants to build a narrative around. I think the EU MVP will likely go to Zven, but could be a repeat MVP for Trick.

I hope that some of the smaller teams who really over-performed like Giants and Splyce get some recognition, but I feel like Riot has really done a bad job building hype/fame around newer teams and players this split and you basically have to be a multi-year famous player to even be in their discussions for best players at each position.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
My all star team:
Top: Hauntzer
Jungle: Sven
Mid: Bjergson
Adc: Double Lift
Support: Biofrost

My EU all star team:
A photograph of power of evil locking in kayle

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Split MVP: Bjergson

EU split MVP: a photograph of power of evil locking in mid volibear

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Giving inori a MVP would be like giving Timberwolves Kevin Love the MVP.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Libertine posted:

Inori went from underrated to insanely overrated in the span of about 5 posts. He had a great split, was an exciting player, and a decent bright spot on a bad team, but he's not even in the discussion for best NA jungler let alone split MVP.

We were talking about rookie of the split, not MVP.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

We all know Voli can accidentally kill something other than a minion. It would be Mundo.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
what about ray, that guy took phreak out of casting for a day with his jarvan play, he's rookie of the split for me in that regard.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
There's a certain ironic hilarity to the fact that Renegades got slapped with penalties for supposedly colluding with a challenger team and yet the two challenger teams in the promotions tournament are named "Cloud 9 Challenger" and "Team Liquid Academy".

http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/articles/challengers-and-contenders-na-lcs-promotion-tournament

stump collector
May 28, 2007
chris badawi was a monumental idiot and not part of the boys club, and that's life

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Sexpansion posted:

There's a certain ironic hilarity to the fact that Renegades got slapped with penalties for supposedly colluding with a challenger team and yet the two challenger teams in the promotions tournament are named "Cloud 9 Challenger" and "Team Liquid Academy".

http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/articles/challengers-and-contenders-na-lcs-promotion-tournament

Apparently if they qualify for the LCS, they have to sell the team? Why are they even allowed to be in challenger if the team as is isn't eligible for the LCS what the gently caress riot

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Apparently if they qualify for the LCS, they have to sell the team? Why are they even allowed to be in challenger if the team as is isn't eligible for the LCS what the gently caress riot

I imagine if Riot gave an answer it be along the lines of "It raises the level of CS play to have established LCS teams participate, as well as providing a more stable enviroment for the CS players by having them play for known professional organizations." Of course, they don't actually back that up by offering any protections for the players in the CS, like, say, requiring any promoted teams to guarantee the contracts of their players for the LCS split they qualified for or something like that.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Biofrost is the Rookie of the Split. This is simple sports award logic. Inori was pretty good at times, but his team failed to make the playoffs AND he didn't play for the entire split. Biofrost was arguably the best support in the league, played every game, and his team is the best team in the game. Inori had some monster games, but he also had some bad ones, where as I am not sure Biofrost had many if at all 'bad' games. poo poo he didn't even die in a third of his games.

To win an award with much less playing time than your competition you have to really blast past them performance wise. Inori didn't. Like its been said hes not even in the top 3 of junglers in the region, maybe not even in the top 5 (jungle was pretty deep in NA this split: Reignover, Sven, Dardoch, Meteos, Xmithie all had good performances). When you look at the factors surrounding them they kind of offset. Inori had a team of shitters, but also zero pressure. Biofrost had a team of all stars but insane pressure to perform. Biofrost came in playing at a world class level from game 1, which is impressive for a challenger nobody.

What we can take away from this is that Imaqtpie should be an old timey 'talent scout' for orgs, heading out to the bush leagues of soloqueue to find the hidden gems in his fedora.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Firebert posted:

We were talking about rookie of the split, not MVP.

he can't understand because the numbers say cloud 9 jungler meteos was rookie of the split

stump collector
May 28, 2007
[*] i miss you rush [*]

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

he's been streaming his climb to get #1 rank on KR solo queue

stump collector
May 28, 2007
it's not the same as watching him jungle for c9

stump collector
May 28, 2007
really though i would've rather seen him traded rather than the plan they have going with impact

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Impact and Looper might be world champions, but they're hardly hard-carry top laners and I don't know what they would have offered over someone else. At least Impact is getting some footing and Looper seems happy with Mata :unsmith:

exethan posted:

really though i would've rather seen him traded rather than the plan they have going with impact
I don't know who was predicting that Riot would change around residency rules and ruin his chances to be fair. They were banking on Impact/Rush/Jensen and then having two more import slots for Cloud9 at the start of Season 7.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
the problem is that they were banking on impact being a legitimate threat when they already had a S jungler.

I think if you remove impact from the lineup and replace him with balls again then c9 would have almost the exact same split because they've been doing low economy for top lane since teleport has been in meta

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

exethan posted:

the problem is that they were banking on impact being a legitimate threat when they already had a S jungler.

I think if you remove impact from the lineup and replace him with balls again then c9 would have almost the exact same split because they've been doing low economy for top lane since teleport has been in meta
Balls can go between serviceable to crippling anchor in any given time so I imagine a lot of Rush's time would have been spent stopping the bleed instead of pushing Jensen or Sneaky ahead though. Especially against teams like Immortals or CLG who were very top-focused

stump collector
May 28, 2007
their style and coaching deficiencies cause their top laners to look like poo poo and signing impact was never going to help a great deal. now they're stuck with meteos and a mediocre world champion who apparently has a good agent

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

exethan posted:

their style and coaching deficiencies cause their top laners to look like poo poo and signing impact was never going to help a great deal. now they're stuck with meteos and a mediocre world champion who apparently has a good agent

They've actually been playing around top lane and get Impact leads recently and he's played well with them so I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that they're putting him in the huge deficits they were to start the split. Meanwhile Balls doesn't even stand out in Challenger where his competition is RF Legendary and Cris the gatekeeper.

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Sneaky isn't a world champion...

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i still think it was a dumb move to sit out a top jungler and a subpar top laner for a mediocre jungler and a mediocre top laner. i don't give a poo poo about their current performance, i'm talking about how rush got hosed over by c9's superteam dreams.

E: i also think they kept the old c9 players on as early as last year because they knew they wanted to get the challenger series spot for free and they would've looked to kick him for a good top laner back then if they were serious about having a world class team

stump collector fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 4, 2016

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Impact is pretty good in NA, only Hauntzer/Huni are really better than him in NA imo but they also have much better macro teams. Impact has been kinda poor though this year, in NRG he was getting carried by GBM but I would still rather have Impact over Balls. Balls picked Fiora one game and did less dmg than Hai(support) if I remember correctly.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Macro in NA just in general is pretty drat bad, and a lot of teams give up losses they have no business losing because they don't play things by the books and get rattled by things like NA Rengar picks.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

TSM seem to have good macro but they have rarely gone behind this split so they haven't had many wins where they won off pure macro. I remember CLG beating C9 with a gold deficit by just out rotating them all around the map. TSM seem to be good at knowing what plays to make around the map, which lane to dive or which buff to contest but when they go behind they still do all those things which isn't really smart. I don't know what this means? Is TSM's macro only good when they are ahead is that even good macro at that point. To me they just seem very good at snowballing leads.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Ulio posted:

TSM seem to have good macro but they have rarely gone behind this split so they haven't had many wins where they won off pure macro. I remember CLG beating C9 with a gold deficit by just out rotating them all around the map. TSM seem to be good at knowing what plays to make around the map, which lane to dive or which buff to contest but when they go behind they still do all those things which isn't really smart. I don't know what this means? Is TSM's macro only good when they are ahead is that even good macro at that point. To me they just seem very good at snowballing leads.

I disagree. Their macro is very good, probably the best in the west. Because the players are so good and their macro is very good they tended to just snowball off early advantages so their gold graph is just a 'mountain' slowly rising to the end of the game. That doesn't mean ALL their wins were like that. When they matched up with IMT and some of the teams that played riskier/more aggressive they had deficits that they came back from due to outplaying the enemy team. They were also pretty good in 'close matches' due to their play. Their dragon & buff control was pretty insane. They were a little sloppy at Baron. They generally dove really well.

They aren't a perfect team, their losses usually came from them loving up a very aggressive play early and the opponent successfully snowballing off of it, or from chasing kills when playing from behind.

Here are some of their match histories to show what I am talking about :

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/TRLH1/1001800190?gameHash=bf0b9367d095b9eb&tab=overview
http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/TRLH1/1001800106?gameHash=0e95d971fc903f68&tab=overview
http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/TRLH1/1001720119?gameHash=e147296c928da5b4&tab=overview
http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/TRLH1/1001730096?gameHash=09d9dc4c7b495ace&tab=overview
http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/TRLH1/1001760092?gameHash=c1374ad5aaaa51f4&tab=overview
http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/TRLH1/1001760179?gameHash=1f00ba96abb13d47&tab=overview
http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/TRLH1/1001760201?gameHash=63da12029ea9ec26&tab=overview
http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/TRLH1/1001770333?gameHash=cf6614ff5140c5af&tab=overview

Edit: And honestly im not sure you're going to see many teams 'come back' from huge deficits in league without the other team mega throwing. I think TSMs play in close games and from minor deficits is evidence enough.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 4, 2016

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Having the best macro in the west isn't that impressive. I do agree they have really good buff control and decent macro + shotcalling. Their buff control is probably the best I've seen this year especially since the buff timers patch. Sven always liked to invade now he has even more information and his team always backs him up. Anyhow I think TSM has a good chance of making it to semis like fnatic last year unless they crumble in playoffs horribly.

The promotions for EU LCS start tomorrow I doubt we are going to see any "Macro" from those series. Maybe we will see Soaz acknowledge the importance of coaching on twitter once he gets relegated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Crazy Larry posted:

They've actually been playing around top lane and get Impact leads recently and he's played well with them so I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that they're putting him in the huge deficits they were to start the split. Meanwhile Balls doesn't even stand out in Challenger where his competition is RF Legendary and Cris the gatekeeper.

C9 plays around mid lane and don't win games where Jensen doesn't carry them. The fact that Impact is not totally incapable of receiving a gank doesn't make him good. I think calling him mediocre is totally fair, and he's definitely not some god of engages or hard carrying or some low econ wizard or anything. Like in what way is he distinguishable from Lourlo

• Locked thread