Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

njsykora posted:

God I expect to see Toyota execs spitting blood in anger if they can't get Le Mans this year.

I have an image of them trying to find a japanese driver to do Cup so they can win Daytona now.

IIRC the reason they bailed on Indy in the first place was the reasoning of it "not creating headlines". I don't know if Hamlin winning got them any like they were expecting? Could be wrong on that. (perhaps mean't in the US, not internationally) .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

FuzzySkinner posted:

If this was 1993?

Sato san would be getting his own Sega Genesis game right now.

IndyCar Series 2017: Takuma Sato's Indy Kamikaze Racing: Only on Panasonic 3DO

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

WindyMan posted:

IndyCar Series 2017: Takuma Sato's Indy Kamikaze Racing: Only on Panasonic 3DO

I'm seeing the rocking fmv intro in my head now.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/869735658755158016

owns.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Just realized that in those crash clips, you can see Roger Yasukawa (5 500 starts, now Sato's spotter) and Kosuke Matsuura (4 500 starts, one of the screaming announcers on the Japanese TV coverage).

Hideshi Matsuda (4 500 starts) is the other announcer in the clip. Plus Hiro Matsushita (4 500 starts) has been Sato and all of those dudes primary sponsor and benefactor for decades. Pretty cool that 5 of the 9 Japanese drivers to ever start had some involvement with the eventual win.

The other 4 are Hattori, Takagi, Mutoh, and Nakano. Hattori runs a K&N NASCAR team, Mutoh and Nakano still run in SuperGT. Dunno about Takagi. Before sunday, he had the highest ever finish for a Japanese driver in the 500.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Btw Sato's move of the race has to be one that the TV cameras unfortunately kinda missed. With 22 to go, Sato goes three wide on the outside into one, and passes Castroneves and Ed Jones to move into 2nd. I feel like you could SEE Jones/Helio thinking "thats Sato, and he WILL NOT let off" before backing off themselves. What an incredible pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_JTJ_hznhQ&t=10417s

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

Btw Sato's move of the race has to be one that the TV cameras unfortunately kinda missed. With 22 to go, Sato goes three wide on the outside into one, and passes Castroneves and Ed Jones to move into 2nd. I feel like you could SEE Jones/Helio thinking "thats Sato, and he WILL NOT let off" before backing off themselves. What an incredible pass.

The TV cameras showed it. The morons in the booth totally missed it as it was happening and kind of went back to it as an afterthought after they realized they missed it.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah I let out a hell of a whoop when he pulled off that pass.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

WindyMan posted:

The TV cameras showed it. The morons in the booth totally missed it as it was happening and kind of went back to it as an afterthought after they realized they missed it.

Cheever - "now this is what we call in indycar 'an overtake' this is important as the goal of the race is to finish before the other cars. Now, a car is..."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/nascarcasm/status/869612852449075200

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

rear end struggle posted:

Cheever - "now this is what we call in indycar 'an overtake' this is important as the goal of the race is to finish before the other cars. Now, a car is..."

See, overtaking a car is like adding credit to your credit card...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

For me the most amazing thing was Bourdais's crash. The fact is he hit the wall in the same place in almost the same way that Gordon Smiley did. Traveling faster too. Smiley's body was liquified and Bourdais will race again. If that isn't a testament to something.

They still need to do halos or canopies to protect drivers heads.

Delayed, but I don't think the DW12 was designed with the ability to mount a halo or similar device without serious compromises. I do recall reading somewhere (maybe here, maybe elsewhere) that it's the main safety shortcoming of it. I could also be wrong there.

Obviously, with Jules and Justin's crashes, combined with the incident at Pocono last year and Dixon's this year where a car went on top of another car, the halo is inevitable, not just for the car getting launched, but the car doing the launching (both the launching cars nearly had the drivers hit in the head).

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'd like them to add head protection before I see someone land on the wall helmet down on live TV.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think we all do. We'll see it soon enough in either F1 or Indy.

Hopefully not too late, like they usually are :cripes:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Wehrlein could have easily been killed in his crash at Monaco this weekend. Tire barriers aren't exactly soft.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

iospace posted:

I think we all do. We'll see it soon enough in either F1 or Indy.

Hopefully not too late, like they usually are :cripes:

It's already too late

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Knowing ims though I'm sure they'll just up the speed as it has the illusion of safety exists and then there will be a tony renna style crash that kills 80 spectators and the sport will end

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

What I think was funny about the Sato victory was everyone predicting he'd do a 1982 "Kevin Cogan"-style wreck on Alonso at the start.

Turns out you know...he ends up winning the race.

This does feel like an "upset". While Taku ran very well during the month, and has historically had drives like this before? It always seems his aggressive style has bite him in he rear end sadly. (Perfect examples being the 2004 Canada GP Qualifications and the 2013 Indy 500).

He ran well and put himself in the position to win the race. But I didn't think he'd be able to pull it out in the end. I thought ultimately his engine would blow and we'd see Helio getting number 4. But the Speedway is very bizarre with 20 laps to go

It "picks" the winners, and ultimately it picked Sato to be the champion.

Still? A very bizarre race. Ed Jones almost won the drat thing. A rookie in a Dale Coyne car. Not to mention Max Chilton who was routinely used as a punchline in the f1 thread But that's Indy

This seems like one of those races we'll look back on and go "Wait.That actually HAPPENED?" in a lot of ways

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 31, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

The other 4 are Hattori, Takagi, Mutoh, and Nakano. Hattori runs a K&N NASCAR team, Mutoh and Nakano still run in SuperGT. Dunno about Takagi. Before sunday, he had the highest ever finish for a Japanese driver in the 500.

Takagi raced Super GT/Super Formula for a few years, I think he even won a Super GT championship, and now is the team director for the #38 ZENT Cerumo Lexus team in Super GT, which I believe is also leading the championship so far this season.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Not to mention Max Chilton who was routinely used as a punchline in the f1 thread

It should be noted, for those of you who don't follow F1, that Chilton is not at all worthy of being used as a punchline. He's just an average pay driver. Arguably slightly above average since he basically doesn't crash. For a race where the goal is to stay out of trouble and be in the right place at the end, it's not particularly surprising that he did well.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

It "picks" the winners, and ultimately it picked Sato to be the champion.

I can't count the number of drivers and other people I've heard say that the Speedway "picks" the winners, and I happen to completely agree with that. You need a decent car and skill to put yourself in position to win, but ultimately the racing gods determine the winner.

If you've ever wondered how to get seats at Indy, this map shows what kind of seniority you need for all the various sections

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's already too late

True :smith:

wicka posted:

It should be noted, for those of you who don't follow F1, that Chilton is not at all worthy of being used as a punchline. He's just an average pay driver. Arguably slightly above average since he basically doesn't crash. For a race where the goal is to stay out of trouble and be in the right place at the end, it's not particularly surprising that he did well.

He did race for Marussia, so yeah, saying Max was bad based on F1 would be a mistake (same with Rossi. Both were on teams that had no chance. AS IN THE SAME TEAM).

iospace fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 31, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

I can't count the number of drivers and other people I've heard say that the Speedway "picks" the winners, and I happen to completely agree with that. You need a decent car and skill to put yourself in position to win, but ultimately the racing gods determine the winner.

If you've ever wondered how to get seats at Indy, this map shows what kind of seniority you need for all the various sections

A/B/E penthouse seats are loving amazing. Only chance I'll ever get at those is Carb Day.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crossover post, ish:

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/141042-kanaan-to-sub-for-bourdais-at-le-mans

TK is taking Bourdais spot at Le Mans :getin:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Always wanted to see Vin Diesel in Le Mans

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

wicka posted:

Yeah he's no Lance Stroll.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

harperdc posted:

Takagi raced Super GT/Super Formula for a few years, I think he even won a Super GT championship, and now is the team director for the #38 ZENT Cerumo Lexus team in Super GT, which I believe is also leading the championship so far this season.

Takagi was a talent that never matured sadly. He was definitely the best Japanese driver that came to CART.

What happened to Naoki Hattori? Did he retire after 2005?

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 31, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Let's look at points shall- :stare:

1st Helio - 245.
2nd Pagenaud, Sato, and Dixon - 234 (not doing tiebreakers)
5th Rossi - 190

Honda is only 3 points back of Chevy too (gotta love double 500 points)

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5VPBb3EmGE&t=30s

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 31, 2017

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

And this is why I'll probably never end up going.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

What seating gets you the best view of the pits?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Norns posted:

Front row of the paddock penthouse.

Your kids will love that view when they grow up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

Why not? I was able to get two tickets in the green section of A no problem with zero seniority a couple years back - middle of box 1. I liked them better than my dad's current seats at the very top of box 34 which is technically in that 25+ year seniority area - the problem there is the upper deck obstructs your view of any monitors.

Norns posted:

C, Paddock, and A all have good views of the pits. The south end of A is right around pit exit. I'd still recommend being as far south in A as possible, though. Passing mainly happens entering 1 and entering 3, so you want a good view of those areas. C and Paddock would have a poor view of 1, and the cars coming down the straight blow by so quickly there isn't a whole lot to see.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

Pfft I've had the same seats literally on the Yard of Bricks for 3 years now, it may only be 8 rows up but they're perfect for all the pre-race & post-race pageantry. Seats aren't meant to be sat in for the entirety of the race, they also come with GA and walking around the infield is the best part

Norns posted:

For little to no seniority, Tower Terrace and Paddock Box are great

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Human Grand Prix posted:

What happened to Naoki Hattori? Did he retire after 2005?

Around that time, I believe.

Another guy who warrants mention is Hideki Noda, who was the only Japanese driver to win an American open wheel sanctioned event before Sato (Indy Lights race at Portland in '97, which was no small feat considering the Lights field that year)

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Knowing ims though I'm sure they'll just up the speed as it has the illusion of safety exists and then there will be a tony renna style crash that kills 80 spectators and the sport will end

just saying, you are starting down a path of posts that led everyone itt to hate me save a few and if you continue down this logical path you will suffer the same fate I have

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

just saying, you are starting down a path of posts that led everyone itt to hate me save a few and if you continue down this logical path you will suffer the same fate I have

Was your argument the cars needed to slow down, or that we didn't need additional safety cuz gently caress it people will die anyway?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Around that time, I believe.

Another guy who warrants mention is Hideki Noda, who was the only Japanese driver to win an American open wheel sanctioned event before Sato (Indy Lights race at Portland in '97, which was no small feat considering the Lights field that year)

http://www.champcarstats.com/atlantic/year/1989e.htm

King Hiro technically beat him when he won races in the Atlantic/Pacific Series in 1989 at Long Beach. (SCCA sanctioned, but I still count it)

Roger Yasukawa also won a race in the Atlantics in 2002 at Milwaukee.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Norns posted:

Was your argument the cars needed to slow down, or that we didn't need additional safety cuz gently caress it people will die anyway?

if you think it's the latter you've never read any of my posts in any racing thread, I'm probably the only person in any of them that can say "I've seen someone close die 50 yards from me"

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

No I've definitely read that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
seriously though, has anyone had someone close to themselves or their family die in racing? has anyone here been showered with debris from a crash that killed a spectator? because I can say yes to both

• Locked thread