Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

10/10 would read the caption again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

This is a good site for builds: https://heroeshearth.com/heroes/

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Really recommending this. McIntyre is a good player and he usually has a couple meta builds for most heroes depending on the situation, and he keeps it updated

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Someone explain to me what lane on each map is supposed to be solo cause I don't get it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kris xK posted:

Someone explain to me what lane on each map is supposed to be solo cause I don't get it.

All of them.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kris xK posted:

The one farthest from action is usually the default. For most 3 lane maps this is the bottom lane. You gotta be dynamic and see what's happening in game/if you see enemies on the map since it's not uncommon to rotate or for teams to take advantage of the fact you'll probably only have 1 dude in a lane to send 2 or 3 there.

2 lane maps I'm not a fan of the 1 in a lane 4 in the other strat, since 3 can usually hold off 4 well enough and the 2 can bully hard. Plus if you misjudge where you're sending your 3, you're not as likely to be punished as if you send 1 dude up against 4.

otoh I'm a silver/gold player sooooo

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I know the "off lane" for Dragonshire is top and for the rest is usually the bottom lane.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Sometimes both top and bottom are the off lanes

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
My impression as a scrub-tier beginner is that unlike most other MOBAs, the laning phase is a lot more fluid and dynamic, and there basically won't be a hard-and-fast rule for which lane gets how many players. Plus it'll shift over the course of laning phase.

What I'm struggling with is how to communicate the fairly basic "we need to be soaking XP" rule to my teammates in scrub-tier QM. Like, maybe it's a lost cause, but if nothing else it'd make me feel less like my teammates were silently hating me through the ethernet lines if I knew that they knew I was trying to cover empty lanes and not just obliviously missing objectives/whatever. Plus hopefully help us lose less but y'know, whatever. :shobon:

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The problem isn't double or triple ping but double and triple pinging the entire match, acting like everyone is misha

Man I've played a couple thousand matches and I've seen that maybe 10 times

Edit: when I ping something to take notice of, I ping once. Wheb I ping something really important, I do the rapid fire 4 set. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm trying to make everyone aware of something. It's just hilarious that it's a mutable sin to some people.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ghost of Starman posted:

My impression as a scrub-tier beginner is that unlike most other MOBAs, the laning phase is a lot more fluid and dynamic, and there basically won't be a hard-and-fast rule for which lane gets how many players. Plus it'll shift over the course of laning phase.

What I'm struggling with is how to communicate the fairly basic "we need to be soaking XP" rule to my teammates in scrub-tier QM. Like, maybe it's a lost cause, but if nothing else it'd make me feel less like my teammates were silently hating me through the ethernet lines if I knew that they knew I was trying to cover empty lanes and not just obliviously missing objectives/whatever. Plus hopefully help us lose less but y'know, whatever. :shobon:
"We can bunch up in mid at start but please break off when creep gets into lanes."
<as your creep is reaching your gate> "Ok guys, let's split up"
"guys please soak. Need a body in <empty lane>"

and then just hope for the best

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

"We can bunch up in mid at start but please break off when creep gets into lanes."
<as your creep is reaching your gate> "Ok guys, let's split up"
"guys please soak. Need a body in <empty lane>"

and then just hope for the best

Concise and perfectly reasonable. :golfclap: I'll give it a try and see how it flies; thanks.

Oh yeah, follow-up question: what do folks do for a "someone needs to go here" ping? I try and do "I am headed here" pings so my team knows what my intentions are (and to encourage them to do the same), but a lot of folks seem to interpret that as "you should go here as well."

Edit:

Tender Bender posted:

God even as a new garbage player I'm already getting so frustrated when my teammates spend the entire game embroiled in an endless skirmish in one lane while I try to soak the other and one is just empty regardless.

RIGHT? It's like, this is so simple, guys. :eng99:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ghost of Starman posted:

God even as a new garbage player I'm already getting so frustrated when my teammates spend the entire game embroiled in an endless skirmish in one lane while I try to soak the other and one is just empty regardless.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Man I've played a couple thousand matches and I've seen that maybe 10 times

Edit: when I ping something to take notice of, I ping once. Wheb I ping something really important, I do the rapid fire 4 set. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm trying to make everyone aware of something. It's just hilarious that it's a mutable sin to some people.

Yeah hots has people more often fume silently and play worse. But there is the odd player who will ping you thirty times while you grab the nuke when you should be having a team fight 3 levels down across the map

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've been spamming Alarak in QM because I want to get better at him but oh my god that is not an ideal environment for Alarak at all :cry:

Have no idea when it's safe to go in and just melee, either. I tend to end up very low on the hero damage count because I just poke and combo only.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 26, 2017

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I play a ton of QM, but I don't think it's really the ideal environment for anyone.

Except taunt Varian, of course.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Spudd posted:

I know the "off lane" for Dragonshire is top and for the rest is usually the bottom lane.

This is because mid is closer to bot than it is to top, meaning players will rotate mid and bot to look for ganks/applying the most pressure to forts/taking the bottom shrine to avoid losing the DK. Top is so far that rotating up there to do anything gives the top lane player more than enough time to realize somethings up and back off.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The problem isn't double or triple ping but double and triple pinging the entire match, acting like everyone is misha

The guys who think they're playing Starcraft and micro everyone.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Nephzinho posted:

This is because mid is closer to bot than it is to top, meaning players will rotate mid and bot to look for ganks/applying the most pressure to forts/taking the bottom shrine to avoid losing the DK. Top is so far that rotating up there to do anything gives the top lane player more than enough time to realize somethings up and back off.

It's also because pushing across the bridge is a death sentence in most games. You're extremely cramped and there are lots of heroes who can just impede your progress backwards.

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich
We like to dump on the matchmaking but this is something that should never never happen even in quick match. Sonya/DVa/Zarya vs no tanks and Abathur. Honestly the worst mismatch on paper I think I've ever seen.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

D.Va not counting as a tank is insanely and extremely bad for QM but it's given me an actual 100% winrate with her so bring it on nerds.

It's bizarre that a hero that's so incredibly difficult to kill and is also super disruptive doesn't qualify as a "Tank".

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

EdRush posted:

We like to dump on the matchmaking but this is something that should never never happen even in quick match. Sonya/DVa/Zarya vs no tanks and Abathur. Honestly the worst mismatch on paper I think I've ever seen.

I made a joke after the first time it happened to me, but they really did make uther count as a tank and healer for for QM matchmaker, but still didn't make Varian count as a tank. I've actually had that happen to me twice now too. The other team had a tank and healer and us no tank.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

But hurr blur stop solo queuing QM I guess

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Fought against a team where 3 of the players were in a group. They were Cho, Gall and Aburther. I don't remember the two pubbies they had

We won by a landslide. It wasn't even close. They just couldn't keep up with us on XP at all

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Ciaphas posted:

But hurr blur stop solo queuing QM I guess

The easy solution is that Blizzard could make obvious and sensible adjustments to the classifications of the heroes causing these problems.

It's hard to practice assassins in QM without a full premade because you'll get a lot of games that are 8-10 assassin deathmatches which are interesting but wholly unrepresentative of how an actual game plays and tends to really hinder the kind of assassins that need setup or protection to succeed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, I usually go an odd Nazeebo build for just laning (rather close to http://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/nazeebo#oqHY from McIntyre's list, actually), but I tried out spider build and it's pretty incredible. Assassins just MELT if you hit em with a buffed spider pot.

What are folks' opinion on the rank 20 talent? Vile Infection looks great but even laning aggressively I tend to only have 120 or so stacks by 20, less depending on map objectives and how much I have to detour (I may just suck at tagging guys). 30s Garg can really mess up teamfights, let it act as an initiator, absolutely melt merc camps (though Zeebs doesn't *need* that help particularly by 20) but 70s Garg is a short enough cooldown to do that pretty often as well.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Libertine posted:

The easy solution is that Blizzard could make obvious and sensible adjustments to the classifications of the heroes causing these problems.

It's hard to practice assassins in QM without a full premade because you'll get a lot of games that are 8-10 assassin deathmatches which are interesting but wholly unrepresentative of how an actual game plays and tends to really hinder the kind of assassins that need setup or protection to succeed.

See, I actually like those full assassin or no support on either side matches since they have different dynamics and often require you to be more careful about build sometimes even taking normally sub-optimal choices because you need the survival ones or more vision. The problem is the game really isn't balanced around some teams having heals & peels and the other not.
Oddities can be fun mix ups, stacked matches less so.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Fought against a team where 3 of the players were in a group. They were Cho, Gall and Aburther. I don't remember the two pubbies they had

We won by a landslide. It wasn't even close. They just couldn't keep up with us on XP at all

That could have been me

Sometimes we do a 5 stack and the other two are Vikings and Rexxar but it doesn't work then either because I'm terrible at the Vikings.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
You cannot use QM to practice any hero beyond the most base mechanics. That's just not what the mode is for. That is, in fact, exactly what Unranked is for.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Gustav posted:

You cannot use QM to practice any hero beyond the most base mechanics. That's just not what the mode is for. That is, in fact, exactly what Hero League is for.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Yeah, that's fair I guess. Depends on how scared you are of dropping a few ranks in the name of science.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
QM is fine for practice imo. It's important to be able to know how to handle your hero in unusual circumstances and QM is way better at providing a variety of situations that test you in different ways. Being able to be effective as any hero without having to rely on a support/tank being there to hold your hand 100% of the time is valuable.

Depends on the hero, though, because lol if you try queuing into QM as a solo Kael'thas, for example.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
The cho'gall abathur could have been me too, i did it a couple days ago and i played the abathur. We lost insanely hard but it was wonderful.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I finally won a game as Abathur :shobon:

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
I love to play Abathur and was even maintaining a 50-55% win rate at one point in solo QM, but that fell off hard about a month or two ago. Poor little slug just can't do much without the other four people being solid players.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Man. Can somebody tell me how to Xul. I always feel completely worthless and ineffectual when I try to play him.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Man. Can somebody tell me how to Xul. I always feel completely worthless and ineffectual when I try to play him.

You go to a lane, clear it as fast as possible with your W and Q, mount up, rotate, put a bone prison one someone who is out of position on the lane you're ganking, then you clear it as fast as possible.

That's it in theory ad nauseum.

What you got to remember, you're actually not good at pushing down buildings, but very good at soaking fast , rotation and ganking

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Turns out bitching was the answer, because I just had a game where I managed to make that work out great and I got MVP and everything, hooray.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah pushers like sylvanas and xul just clear a wave and leave. Minions are actually pretty good at killing buildings eventually when the ammo is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

GenericOverusedName posted:

Xul excels at maps with two lanes close to each other. Namely BHB and Spider Queen. You can maybe do it on Towers too but that's kind of a stretch. As people said before you just go into a lane, clear it, then go to the other lane and clear it. This lets the other 4 members of your team play as 4 and bully the other team. This is extremely strong on BHB since this means there are 4 guys in the far solo lane. You have to make sure your team is on board with it but it's often a free win if the enemy team didn't specifically counter draft you.

E: Also late to party but I played with Toshimo once. For a guy so awful at the game he sure complains and yells at everybody a lot. He spent the whole game bickering with Li Ming over who was worse. He also spent the whole game solo pushing and mercing with Kharazim.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 26, 2017