Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

Her first child died because of severe pathologies caused by radiation. Your post is garbage. You literally don't know the first thing about anything related to the catastrophe. Shut the gently caress up. Thanks in advance.

Citation needed, while you're raging out. The baby had congenital heart issues which is a common birth defect. No evidence that radiation caused it and she wasn't getting rads from her husband.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cool that's literally not how radiation works.

She def didn't get irradiated from the firefighter. You separate people with rad poisoning because their immune system is shot not because they're going to irradiate others.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 7, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Next y'all are gonna start saying the bridge of death thing is real too.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Where in the show does it say that the unborn child saved her mother?

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
khomyuk says it irrc

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I can simplify things for you.

The baby in the Chernobyl series didn’t actually die of radiation poisoning in reality.

The writer, Craig Mazin, was going for a bullet motif:

“Every atom of U-235 is like a bullet, traveling at nearly the speed of light, penetrating nearly everything in its path: woods, metal, concrete, flesh. Every gram of U-235 holds over a billion trillion of these bullets. ... That’s three million billion trillion bullets in the air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat. Most of these bullets will not stop firing for 100 years.”

This bullet motif is why all the characters are constantly, ahistorically, threatening to shoot eachother.

The notion of “three million billion trillion bullets” is deployed so that the radiation unleashed at Chernobyl can serve as a metaphor for the USSR’s entire violent history, and a general societal pressure / malaise. (The old cow woman treats Stalin, Lenin, the Czars, Gorbachev, and the exploded reactor as completely interchangeable because they all killed people with ‘bullets’. Guns are bad.)

Sometimes the radiation/bullet/history metaphor is very effective, as when the soldiers exterminate housepets while ruminating over the failed invasion of Afghanistan. But in some cases, like the magic radiation baby, it’s pretty weak.

Mazin is going for the idea (directly stated by the Emily Morton character, who often serves as Mazin’s self-insert) that the innocent baby heroically jumped in front of a million billion bullets and saved its mother - just like the miners, right?

But radiation doesn’t actually work that way at all. The baby’s death in reality was just an unfortunate coincidence. So you have the Emily Morton character endorsing a comfortable falsehood over the painful truth that the baby didn’t die a hero.

And there are two complementary issues here: Morton is ostensibly a composite of dozens of real-life hero scientists, so the false baby story is falsely attributed to them. And, at the same time, the basic decision to create a composite character generates a standard Hollywood narrative where the rebellious free-thinking individual faces off against the mass of sheeple. The real scientists didn’t strongarm their way through government checkpoints and so-on. They were working for the government.

It’s not a very minor quibble, since the Morton character literally gets threatened with the gulag/death over the radioactive baby, then gives a couple speeches about it. It’s a key part of her characterization.

W🎩

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

She def didn't get irradiated from the firefighter. You separate people with rad poisoning because their immune system is shot not because they're going to irradiate others.

eh, half true, if the source was strictly external then yes, you pose no risk to others, but if you ingest/inhale the source, you pose some risk

People with thyroid cancer drink orange juice mixed with I-131 and are isolated afterwards, the radiation they emit is reasonably high for a short while

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dave Concepcion posted:

eh, half true, if the source was strictly external then yes, you pose no risk to others, but if you ingest/inhale the source, you pose some risk

People with thyroid cancer drink orange juice mixed with I-131 and are isolated afterwards, the radiation they emit is reasonably high for a short while

Yes, but that didn't happen in Chernobyl. Yes if you ingest radioactive materials then that will still be radioactive inside of you but it otherwise doesn't stick onto you like a virus that then infects other people. An irradiated person isn't in of themselves generating more radiation.

The only case I can think of was in Brazil where people dismantled some abandoned medical equipment and accidentally ingested the caesium chloride.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 7, 2019

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Yes, but that didn't happen in Chernobyl. The point is the rads don't work like that. Yes if you ingest radioactive materials then that will still be radioactive inside of you but it otherwise doesn't stick onto you like a virus that then infects other people. An irradiated person isn't in of themselves generating more radiation.

The only case I can think of was in Brazil where people dismantled some abandoned medical equipment and accidentally ingested the caesium chloride.

the firefighter's clothes where massively contaminated and they were working without respirators iirc, some of that made it into their lungs for sure

enough to pose a serious risk to other people? probably not, but I'd still advice a pregnant woman to stay away

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You don't remember when the nurse told them to remove the clothes and wash them down? The Soviets knew how to decontaminate people.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Moridin920 posted:

Citation needed, while you're raging out. The baby had congenital heart issues which is a common birth defect. No evidence that radiation caused it and she wasn't getting rads from her husband.

The child was born with liver cirrhosis and damaged lungs. Source: Ignatenko herself in a 2000 interview.

https://fakty.ua/106083-quot-posled...go-rebenka-quot

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

You don't remember when the nurse told them to remove the clothes and wash them down? The Soviets knew how to decontaminate people.

she was a doctor I think, but the point about the contaminated clothes was that if they were that radioactive, it would be because of deposited radioactive dust that they would also have inhaled making them radioactive too (to what degree can be debated, but to some degree most certainly)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

The child was born with liver cirrhosis and damaged lungs. Source: Ignatenko herself in a 2000 interview.

https://fakty.ua/106083-quot-posled...go-rebenka-quot

Look I don't want to be a douche or anything but

quote:

Some nurse brought an orange to Vasily - a big, beautiful one. “Take, eat, I left you, you love,” he nodded to his wife in the direction of the nightstand where the orange lay. Under the influence of drugs, he took a nap, and Lyudmila went to the store. When she returned, the orange was gone. “Who took it, go find it, I left it to you,” Vasya startled. And the nurse standing in the door just shook her head. She deliberately picked it up so that Luda, God forbid, did not eat it - a small orange ball, having lain next to Ignatenko a couple of hours, was already full of deadly radiation

Is just literally impossible because of physics.

quote:

Dave Concepcion posted:

she was a doctor I think, but the point about the contaminated clothes was that if they were that radioactive, it would be because of deposited radioactive dust that they would also have inhaled making them radioactive too (to what degree can be debated, but to some degree most certainly)

Ok maybe :shrug:

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 7, 2019

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Reactor fuel can't melt soviet babies

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
yeah that orange story is straight up retarded nonsense

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I could see them inhaling enough such that it'd be damaging to a fetus but not enough to really affect the mother. Fetuses are more sensitive to radiation than a grown adult bc of how it works on cells undergoing division (iirc).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Moridin920 posted:

Look I don't want to be a douche or anything but

Is just literally impossible because of physics.

What does something a nurse did out of extra caution have to do with the fact that medics measured 68 R on Lidmila Ignatenko?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Dave Concepcion posted:

yeah that orange story is straight up retarded nonsense

What orange, comrade? Oh, that old thing? Yeah that was radiated. I had to throw it away. *breaths orangly*

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

We can still save this thread, comrades

*uselessly spins valves and passes out*

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Opferwurst posted:

What orange, comrade? Oh, that old thing? Yeah that was radiated. I had to throw it away. *breaths orangly*

You didn't see an orange because it wasn't there!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Paladinus posted:

What does something a nurse did out of extra caution have to do with the fact that medics measured 68 R on Lidmila Ignatenko?

Okay, look.

Oral histories are very important when it comes to understanding people’s’ perceptions and subjective understanding of events. They are awful for determining objective truth.

According to Voices of Chernobyl, the baby was born with cirrhosis and congenital heart defects and died and this was because of the radiation. And “her liver had 28 roentgen.”

How does the mother know this? Was an autopsy done? And then they told her the results? It’s all very questionable, and then decades later this really very dubious story is reported as absolutely factual. Assuming that the child did die of cirrhosis and congenital heart disease, those aren’t typically radiation-induced illnesses; it’s far more likely to be the result of a hepatitis infection.

Be very cautious with oral histories. They’re important and significant but can easily lead you astray.

Paladinus posted:

Her second child also has problems with lungs because of radiation's effects on the mother's organism.

Lyudmilla Ignatanko posted:

I gave birth to a boy, Andrei. Andreika. My friends tried to stop me. "You can't have a baby." And the doctors tried to scare me: "Your body won't be able to handle it." Then, later - later they told me that he'd be missing an arm. His right arm. The instrument showed it. "Well, so what?" I thought. "I'll teach him to write with his left hand." But he came out fine. A beautiful boy. He's in school now, he gets good grades."

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 7, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

And that's not to say that people interviewed for oral histories are lying or anything, they're telling the story of what they remember, how they remember it. Key words being "story" and "memory," both of which are unreliable and only grow more so with time. Again I want to be very clear that nobody usually lies, as in intentionally deceive. That's not the same thing as them reporting the 100% objective fact. Historians and history nerds are usually pretty good at source analysis and understanding this but the general public is very much not.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 7, 2019

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Moridin920 posted:

Cool that's literally not how radiation works.

Hmm. A few years ago my cat had hypothyroidism and one of the options was to treat him with radioactive iodine. Unfortunately this involves a 10 day stay with the vet, because apparently the poop is radioactive? Maybe she touched the poop?!?

OTOH when humans get a similar treatment they aren't quarantined for 10 days and are allowed to poop right in the toilet with everyone else.
:iiam:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Y'all know that this was a tv show, right? A "dramatization"?

I don't think we Heroes Of The Chernobyl Thread loved the show because it got every mundane detail right. I can't speak for my comrades but I'm not expecting a documentary with english accents, I'm getting a mini series that is based on real events and also took some artistic liberties to help get its message across in a limited time

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phanatic posted:

Okay, look.

Oral histories are very important when it comes to understanding people’s’ perceptions and subjective understanding of events. They are awful for determining objective truth.

According to Voices of Chernobyl, the baby was born with cirrhosis and congenital heart defects and died and this was because of the radiation. And “her liver had 28 roentgen.”

How does the mother know this? Was an autopsy done? And then they told her the results? It’s all very questionable, and then decades later this really very dubious story is reported as absolutely factual. Assuming that the child did die of cirrhosis and congenital heart disease, those aren’t typically radiation-induced illnesses; it’s far more likely to be the result of a hepatitis infection.

Be very cautious with oral histories. They’re important and significant but can easily lead you astray.

Yeah, people tell themselves the stories that let them live with what has happened to them. They aren't lying, it's just how they make sense of it all.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Phanatic posted:

Okay, look.

There is no evidence contradicting these oral histories, though. If, like with the death bridge, there were eyewitnesses explicitly undermining this version of events, like doctors who cared for the mother or the child, then sure. I'd take their words over hers, but it's just not the case. The only thing you might argue here is that her initial exposure to radiation, when she watched from her balcony fire engines arrive to the plant, and then stayed in the town for several days until leaving to Moscow, played a bigger role than her visiting Vasili in the hospital. You can even point out that the big claim of millions peoples' health being negatively affected by the catastrophe is dubious. But in this particular situation, there is very little reason to doubt Liudmila's account of her own lived experiences.

Lyudmilla Ignatanko posted:

I gave birth to a boy, Andrei. Andreika. My friends tried to stop me. "You can't have a baby." And the doctors tried to scare me: "Your body won't be able to handle it." Then, later - later they told me that he'd be missing an arm. His right arm. The instrument showed it. "Well, so what?" I thought. "I'll teach him to write with his left hand." But he came out fine. A beautiful boy. He's in school now, he gets good grades."

This, ironically, is something that Aleksievich got wrong for whatever reason. Liudmila's son is called Anatoly, and he had severe health issues as a child. Ignatenko talks about it in the interview I linked.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 7, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Robert Peter Gale is a US doctor who flew out to identify and treat Chernobyl victims immediately afterward.

And conveniently, he wrote a 4-part review of the accuracy of the series. Part 1

part 2 posted:

Another error was to portray the victims as being dangerously radioactive. Most radiation contamination was superficial and relatively easily managed by routine procedures. This is entirely different than the Goiania accident, where the victims ate 137-cesium and we had to isolate them from most medical personnel.

Lastly, there is the dangerous representation that, because one of the victims was radioactive, his pregnant wife endangered her unborn child by entering his hospital room. First, as discussed, none of the victims were radioactive—their exposures were almost exclusively external, not internal. More importantly, risk to a fetus from an exposure like this is infinitesimally small.

For example, amongst the several hundred pregnant women exposed to high-dose radiation from the A-bombs, there were only 29 children with attributable developmental defects. All were exposed in the second trimester, when cells are migrating to the brain from the neural crest.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
I hope an elephant's foot steps on some people.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

sweet thursday posted:

We can still save this thread, comrades

*uselessly spins valves and passes out*

Can one of you tell me what the deal was with these dudes? it seems like they did something important, but they are never mentioned again.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ElGroucho posted:

Can one of you tell me what the deal was with these dudes? it seems like they did something important, but they are never mentioned again.

Are you serious?

Did you watch the show?

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
How long til an Instagram model poses on top of this?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12247342

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

When systems fail with feed water there are usually bypass valves you can use. At the very least if you open up a clear path manually you can even rely on head pressure from its feed tank or any residual pressure in the system.

Unfortunately for them all the piping was hosed anyway and the water they were standing in was the water that was meant to be manipulated by those valves. They kept telling themselves they did nothing wrong, and by the book they were right, but they knew they hosed up badly and were delusional

Also they're shown melting later. Well one of them was. I don't think the other dude had a face

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hmm. A few years ago my cat had hypothyroidism and one of the options was to treat him with radioactive iodine. Unfortunately this involves a 10 day stay with the vet, because apparently the poop is radioactive? Maybe she touched the poop?!?

OTOH when humans get a similar treatment they aren't quarantined for 10 days and are allowed to poop right in the toilet with everyone else.
:iiam:
Probably because it's hard for a cat to observe rules like this:

First 8 hours:
Drink one glass of water each hour and use the bathroom as soon as possible when you need to empty your bladder. Men should sit on the toilet while urinating to decrease splashing. Use a tissue to wipe up any urine on the toilet bowl and flush twice. Wash your hands and rinse the sink.
Maintain a distance of at least 3 feet from all people. If possible, you should drive home alone. If it is not possible to drive alone, you should choose the seat that keeps as much distance as possible between you and the other passengers. You should not use public transportation.

First two days:
Do not share cups, glasses, plates or eating utensils. Wash items promptly after using. Other people may use items after they are washed.
Do not share towels or washcloths.
Flush the toilet twice and rinse the sink and tub after use.
Wash your towels, bed linens, underwear, and any clothing stained with urine or sweat.

First week:
Arrangements should be made for others to provide childcare for infants and very young children.
Sleep alone for 7 days unless otherwise instructed by your doctor.
Avoid kissing and physical contact with others, and maintain a distance of at least 3 feet from women who are pregnant and children under 18 years old.
Avoid activities where you may be close to others for more than 5 minutes, for example, movie theaters, sporting events and public transportation.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Paladinus posted:

There is no evidence contradicting these oral histories, though.

Well, yes, there is: radiation doesn't work like that. I mean, physically. That's a pretty big piece of evidence.

quote:

But in this particular situation, there is very little reason to doubt Liudmila's account of her own lived experiences.

This, ironically, is something that Aleksievich got wrong for whatever reason. Liudmila's son is called Anatoly, and he had severe health issues as a child. Ignatenko talks about it in the interview I linked.

See? You've just completely pegged on the reason that oral histories are *inherently dubious*. Those were Lyudmilla's own words, there was very little reason to doubt that account...but then subsequently it turned out to be completely wrong?

Saying that "Well, we should take it as gospel truth in the absence of contradictory evidence" is not how epistemology works.

On the other hand: the firefighters were buried in metal coffins and entombed in concrete. Why? If they weren't dangerously radioactive, why go through that effort? I have tried and failed to find any sources on residual secondary radiation in the bodies.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 7, 2019

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

sweet thursday posted:

When systems fail with feed water there are usually bypass valves you can use. At the very least if you open up a clear path manually you can even rely on head pressure from its feed tank or any residual pressure in the system.

Unfortunately for them all the piping was hosed anyway and the water they were standing in was the water that was meant to be manipulated by those valves. They kept telling themselves they did nothing wrong, and by the book they were right, but they knew they hosed up badly and were delusional

Also they're shown melting later. Well one of them was. I don't think the other dude had a face

Thanks dude

Tv is serious business

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Phanatic posted:

See? You've just completely pegged on the reason that oral histories are *inherently dubious*. Those were Lyudmilla's own words, there was very little reason to doubt that account...but then subsequently it turned out to be completely wrong?

Saying that "Well, we should take it as gospel truth in the absence of contradictory evidence" is not how epistemology works.

It's an excerpt from Aleksievitch's book, and it's clear she didn't transcribe everything word for word. Do you really think Liudmila wouldn't know her own son's name or forget they had to live in Cuba for a while to get the required treatment? This goes beyond unreliability of first-hand accounts.

E: actually, even in the book health problems are mentioned:

Chernobyl Prayer posted:

He gets ill often, too. He'd be in school for a fortnight, and another fortnight he would spend with doctors. And that's how we live.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 7, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's a bunch of people that think vaccines gave their kids autism. Just because you're the one telling a story about what happened to you doesn't make you correct.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Dave Concepcion posted:

eh, that's not really how radiation works

I mean, like you could theoretically set it up, but you'd need to get a proton beam to have it's a bragg peak inside the fetus, absorbing almost all the dose and saving the mother, but it would require expensive machinery and very precise calculations and positioning

Not saying the child wasn't or couldn't have been harmed by radiation, but it didn't save the mother

my god i cant believe teh firefighters widow could mix up such basic sciennce what a LYING PIECE OF poo poo RUINING MY IMMERSION

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

my god i cant believe teh firefighters widow could mix up such basic sciennce what a LYING PIECE OF poo poo RUINING MY IMMERSION

Nobody's saying they're lying.

Here's an example from one of the milhist threads. This is Bill Guarnere, the dude from Band of Brothers who got his leg blown off in Bastogne, telling about how he got his tattoos when a friend of mine interviewed him for a photo book of veterans and their tats:

Wild Bill posted:

I got this [paratrooper] tattoo after D-Day. Me and Johnny Martin got a pass for London. When you go on a pass overseas in England you hitchhike. All the trucks are going your way, they take you, then you get off and another truck picks you up. We wound up at an Air Force base, a U.S. Air Force base. We got something to eat and a couple of pilots come over to us and started talking to us and they said "You want to come to Scotland?" "You gotta be kidding!" they were fighter pilots, they had these jets, so Johnny got in one and I got in the other one. It took about twelve minutes, we got to Edinburgh Scottland. That's when we got the tattoos. Drunk as a skunk. If I was sober I never would have gotten it, but I was drunk. We had a good time up there. Edinburgh, 1944. Right after D-Day. Drunk. I would never get tattoos sober.

2-seater US jets in England in 1944 fast enough to get from London to Edinburgh in 12 minutes. Didn't happen. At least not that way. It probably wasn't a jet, maybe it was just a P-51 or a Spit. And it wasn't 12 minutes, but it was fast enough for a paratrooper used to flying in C-47s to seem really fast. Is Bill lying? No, he's not, but you can't take what he's saying as the literal truth, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Nobody's saying they're lying.

Here's an example from one of the milhist threads. This is Bill Guarnere, the dude from Band of Brothers who got his leg blown off in Bastogne, telling about how he got his tattoos when a friend of mine interviewed him for a photo book of veterans and their tats:

2-seater US jets in England in 1944 fast enough to get from London to Edinburgh in 12 minutes. Didn't happen. At least not that way. It probably wasn't a jet, maybe it was just a P-51 or a Spit. And it wasn't 12 minutes, but it was fast enough for a paratrooper used to flying in C-47s to seem really fast. Is Bill lying? No, he's not, but you can't take what he's saying as the literal truth, either.

i think you can forgive the guy having problems with perception of time when he's recounting a story about how he flew on a high speed aircraft to get roaring drunk in scotland 60 years ago