Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Didn’t that happen fairly recently? Like, that exact scenario: dad, child, molester, he openly admits to it, jury says “we’re good”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Isn’t that what jury nullification is?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

FrozenVent posted:

Isn’t that what jury nullification is?

I think that's entirely on the initiative of the jury. I'm pretty sure judges won't allow a lawyer to stand up and argue that the victim deserved it, even if they did.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
OP please watch the documentary file “A Time To Kill” with Morgan Freeman.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Captain von Trapp posted:

In movies, or sometimes in real life in jest, people will say "no jury would convict me!"

But I don't think I've ever heard of that actually happening. Say, you murdered someone who molested your child. Could you actually stand up in court and say "Yeah, I did it, he had it coming, please find me not guilty"? Or does the judge just say "That's a mistrial, also your confession (sans context) gets entered into evidence at the next trial"?

If the information was relevant to a specific defense, it would come in during guilt/innocence phase; if it's not relevant, but the defendant just stands up and shouts it, then the judge could order a mistrial, or a good prosecutor will rip them to shreds on cross examination since they called themselves to testify.

During sentencing phase, that kind of thing would generally get talked about as a mitigating factor.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Captain von Trapp posted:

I think that's entirely on the initiative of the jury. I'm pretty sure judges won't allow a lawyer to stand up and argue that the victim deserved it, even if they did.

What happens is that defense attorneys will stand up in closing and say something along the lines of "Let me tell you about jury nullification." The prosecutor will immediately object and the judge (if he gives a poo poo) will tell the defense attorney to knock it off. But who cares about that order? The jury has already heard the magic phrase. The only price paid for a potential windfall is, at most, a minor chastisement. And one of the appellate courts' favorite things to do is reverse convictions because some trial idiot judge lets the defense attorneys make improper arguments, so the prosecutor has to venture into improper territory to pull the jury out and convince them to do their job.

The real pro defense attorneys have whole thesauruses (thesaurii?) full of clever analogies and phrases describing jury nullification. Like "you are the conscience of the community, you should tell the government what the community thinks of jailing men who protect their children."

The real fun happens in codefendant trials. Imagine two dudes on trial for whatever crime, and one attorney stands up and says "give the victims their pound of flesh from that guy, not my guy. My guy has a family!"

So, yes, against the rules but there's no reason not to do it and lots of reasons to do it. Any attorney (defense, prosecution, or judge), in my jurisdiction at least, with any experience in criminal practice has this arrow in their quiver.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Bad Munki posted:

Didn’t that happen fairly recently? Like, that exact scenario: dad, child, molester, he openly admits to it, jury says “we’re good”

If it’s what I’m thinking of, the guy walking in on his son being molested and beat the everloving poo poo out of the molester, and told the cops he would have killed the guy, and the cops said “yeah me too” and didn’t arrest him.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Provocation is a defence. Almost always not to the matter of guilt, but most countries practice it as a mitigating circumstance.

Norway has provocation as an affirmative defence to a charge of battery (but not bodily harm), so-called rule of retortion (retaliation). Chiefly meant as victim protection.

Beating the poo poo out of or a pedo caught in the act would qualify for provocation as a mitigating circumstance which potentially could commute the sentence entirely. And if the prosecutor had a pulse he'd offer a waiver anyway so it'd never see the inside of a courtroom.

There would also be an issue of right of self defence as applied to a third person. You are entitled to do whatever is necessary within the class of immediate threat to avert harm under that statute and rape is classified as such a serious crime I believe you could drat near kill a child rapist if you stopped when they were incapacitated and incapable of further harm. I'd be fine arguing that.

Actually killing though? Probably not, not to say one couldn't have perceived it as a murder attempt and proceeded to kill the assailant. Which would probably scan.

Retribution later would just plain be vigilantism and probably not much of a mitigating factor.

We don't have jury nullification or even juries though.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Provocation is a defence. Almost always not to the matter of guilt, but most countries practice it as a mitigating circumstance.

Not my jurisdiction, since it was basically exclusively used by husbands to justify murdering their wives, or in gay panic cases.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

If it’s what I’m thinking of, the guy walking in on his son being molested and beat the everloving poo poo out of the molester, and told the cops he would have killed the guy, and the cops said “yeah me too” and didn’t arrest him.

That happened in Fort Bend County, Texas a few years back and I'm pretty sure the father didn't even hit the guy too many times, and he just died. They declined to arrest, and I'm pretty sure he was never charged.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Oddhair posted:

That happened in Fort Bend County, Texas a few years back and I'm pretty sure the father didn't even hit the guy too many times, and he just died. They declined to arrest, and I'm pretty sure he was never charged.

This is the one I’m thinking of

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna334991

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Can I file a workers comp claim if I’m injured while at work due to puncturing my eardrum cleaning wax out of my ear canal using a car key

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

"...I got him in a bloody puddle for you right now."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

bird with big dick posted:

Can I file a workers comp claim if I’m injured while at work due to puncturing my eardrum cleaning wax out of my ear canal using a car key

Christ, just buy one of those blue bulb ear syringes.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

bird with big dick posted:

Was it a work car key and work related earwax?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

blarzgh posted:

"...I got him in a bloody puddle for you right now."

I think this came up in the thread before and someone said that the cops are instructed to not charge under such circumstances.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

SkunkDuster posted:

I think this came up in the thread before and someone said that the cops are instructed to not charge under such circumstances.

Doubt that. They'd probably have to get that ok'd by someone somehow.

That said if I were the prosecutor in charge I would waiver that case in a heartbeat just to get a guilty on verdict, no way would I be confident getting that through a panel of judges.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Whitlam posted:

Not my jurisdiction, since it was basically exclusively used by husbands to justify murdering their wives, or in gay panic cases.

Should have probably said, there's a provocation definition and justifications of that nature wouldn't cut it. Self defence might. But that also has some very specific definitions.

Norway has special statutes for family violence and violence against exposed groups and minorities. In which provocation (retortion) isn't a defence, nor a mitigating circumstance. If the prosecutor erroneously subsumed the case under the wrong charge, the charge would either be altered by the judge or mistrialed.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Can you elaborate on that? I do have a divorce in my past and every year for like the last 12 years earn the max credits for SS and am track to get max payout. Have two kids it’d ideally go to if anything were to happen.

if your ex can claim SS benefits on your account (either as a divorced spouse when you both hit retirement age or via widow benefits when she qualifies and you're dead), it won't affect your own benefits or the potential payout to your kids (if you die while they are minors). The family maximum benefits that could be paid out to your kids and spouse if you die is not affected by any benefits your ex may receive.

When I worked at SSA, sometimes bitter dudes would demand that we prevent their ex wife from being able to qualify benefits on their account. Not because it would take anything away from them, but because they're just spiteful. Fortunately the SSA law doesn't give them any input.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

One great thing about SSA is everything is online and you can piece it together if you are a lawyer

One bad thing about SSA is the ALJs are wildly disparate in what they do.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

If the prosecutor erroneously subsumed the case under the wrong charge, the charge would either be altered by the judge or mistrialed.

Am I correct in believing that in the US, judges can't alter charges, that's exclusively the privilege of prosecutors?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Criminal lawyers can speak to this but I think charging is the exclusive discretion of the prosecutors.

Judges can throw cases out at a few points though. So that’s kind of altering charges I guess.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Leperflesh posted:

Am I correct in believing that in the US, judges can't alter charges, that's exclusively the privilege of prosecutors?

Maybe. It's certainly not very common as far as I'm aware, as a function of a more inquisitorial system. It's still limited by criminal procedure and international human rights, because of due process, preparing a defence, yadda yadda yadda.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Leperflesh posted:

I'm going to say "generally yes" because there may be some weird thing I'm not thinking of but, yeah. I've gotten charges thrown out because the warrant was factually incorrect and a different charge was appropriate. The judge can't just change it to the correct thing, *that* warrant gets tossed out and if they want to keep prosecuting they have to do a new warrant or new indictment on the new accurate charge.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s very hard to talk generally about law !!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Unless it isn't!!! But yeah it is.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

With that condo building that collapsed in Florida, is that the kind of thing where insurance is not going to pay out because the association was aware for years that the building was unsound and took no steps to correct it? Would the residents be able to sue the association if their losses are not covered? I know that it probably wouldn’t matter since the association would just go bankrupt and would not be able to pay everyone but I’m curious as to what is going to happen given what has been reported.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

therobit posted:

With that condo building that collapsed in Florida, is that the kind of thing where insurance is not going to pay out because the association was aware for years that the building was unsound and took no steps to correct it? Would the residents be able to sue the association if their losses are not covered? I know that it probably wouldn’t matter since the association would just go bankrupt and would not be able to pay everyone but I’m curious as to what is going to happen given what has been reported.

The other thing I wondered is what about the other part of the building the government deemed had to be demolished emergently due to impending hurricane/concern for further collapse.

Would some kind of renters or home owners insurance cover this? Or can they be like oh well we don't cover you if the government blows up your belongings on purpose.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

The thing is that with most condos the association carries the insurance on the structure itself, and the unit owners just buy insurance on what is inside the unit from the drywall in. Which is really why I am asking the question. The policy holders (the association ) for the insurance on the building were possibly negligent in failing to correct known issues, but the unit owners are the ones with the most to lose. Are they just out of luck?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Depends what the policy specifically says. There’s all kinds of litigation about stuff like this.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

therobit posted:

Insurance companies in situations like this frequently just deny and force you to sue regardless of if it’s covered or not as long as they can come up with any rationale.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The litigation over the Surfside condo collapse is going to last 10+ years so who the gently caress knows.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Besides, most of the insurance claimants are dead. Who's *left* to sue? Like one teenager and a cat?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Besides, most of the insurance claimants are dead. Who's *left* to sue? Like one teenager and a cat?

... estates?

If my house explodes and kills me, is my estate not entitled to have the house repaired by my homeowner's insurance (assuming we win the lawsuit)?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Devor posted:

... estates?

Yeah it’s this. Probably also the condo association if there were any surviving owners (and there were several). But the insurance company is going to try and deny it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Devor posted:

... estates?

If my house explodes and kills me, is my estate not entitled to have the house repaired by my homeowner's insurance (assuming we win the lawsuit)?

Yeah but that's gonna all have to be sorted out. Many of them may not have any heirs other than the state, if whole families died.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The condo will go bankrupt and no one will get anything. The American story.

The builders are long gone.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

euphronius posted:

The condo will go bankrupt and no one will get anything. The American story.

The builders are long gone.

there will be a litigation trust created if the condo goes bankrupt to preserve and litigate its claims

of course that may only benefit the lawyers but it will be created

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

the most relevant policy would be owned by the condo association, individual homeowners policies are probably going to pay out without too much fuss

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 14, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What if it was negligent construction (it very well may have been). Would the condo insurance cover that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

the most relevant policy would be owned by the condo association, individual homeowners policies are probably going to pay out without too much fuss

Yeah, I think the question I'm groping toward is "who has standing to sign a client/representation agreement for the homeowner's association if all members of said association are dead"

Would it have to be an officer of the association? I imagine there are some survivors, people who owned a condo in the building but happened to not be there at the time. That teenager who survived might be a member once his parent's estate sorts out, but ... . most HoAs have a requirement that you own a condo in the building to vote, and nobody still owns a condo in the building because there is no building.

Also all HOA records were probably stored in the building and are now destroyed. There may not be a copy of the HoA agreement surviving.

edit:

actually,

quote:

A letter sent in April from the president of the Champlain Towers South Condominium Association said that damage to the doomed building’s basement garage had “gotten significantly worse” since an inspection about two and a half years earlier and that deterioration of the building’s concrete was “accelerating.”

The letter suggested that millions of dollars in needed repairs had been a subject of frustration among residents. The letter offers a glimpse into the events leading up to the building's collapse last week in Surfside, Florida, that left 11 people dead and 150 missing.

“We have discussed, debated, and argued for years now, and will continue to do so for years to come as different items come into play,” the letter said.

The April 9 letter was obtained by USA TODAY from a family member of two missing residents of the building. The author, Jean Wodnicki, president of the association’s board of directors, survived Thursday’s collapse, a condo association attorney said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2021/06/28/miami-condo-deterioration-worsening-april-letter-says/7790478002/

So that solves that problem!

quote:

Over seven pages, Wodnicki provided an overview of the major repairs required for the building. She noted that in fall 2018, as documents released by the town of Surfside show, the association hired engineering firm Morabito Consultants to inspect the building. That inspection found a “major error” in the design of the building, crumbling concrete columns in the garage area beneath the structure, and predicted that failure to fix the problems in the “near future will cause the extent of the concrete deterioration to expand exponentially.”

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 14, 2021