Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I changed the baby this morning after feeding him at 5 AM, and in my hubris assumed that since he had dropped a well massive turd and like a quarter cup of pee that he was OK to be put in a normal Size One diaper rather than his insane oversized Size 2 night diapers. Of course he peed through the diaper and his swaddle and his cradle sheet and on to the mattress. :owned:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Babies are like TARDIS—much bigger on the inside.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

gbut posted:

It's wild how much the lil guy can put away on the input side, I think it's roughly equivalent to me eating 5.5 lbs of food seven times a day. Guess that mostly has to go somewhere.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

We’ve been having issues with overnight pee leaks recently. I’ve been trying to get my kid to go pee right before bed to lessen the issue. The usual response is “I don’t need to pee” but then when she does, it’s more than I, a big-rear end adult , pee on average. Like, where do you store 10% of your body weight in pee, ffs?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I need to collect a poop sample of the baby's diarrhea for lab work. The same diarrhea that utterly killed me this morning.

Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Renegret posted:

I need to collect a poop sample of the baby's diarrhea for lab work. The same diarrhea that utterly killed me this morning.

Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

:rip:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Renegret posted:

Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

it sounds like there was a lot of it so finding some should be fairly easy!!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I don't know how to handle the diaper absorbing it all! It's liquid! That's the problem!

Well, the dry heaving is a problem too but I'm just gonna have to put on my big boy pants for that one.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Maybe put some cling wrap in the nappy? I'm sure that will capture the poop in liquid form and not make a horrible mess.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gbut posted:

Pretty solid thread title material

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Renegret posted:

I don't know how to handle the diaper absorbing it all! It's liquid! That's the problem!

Well, the dry heaving is a problem too but I'm just gonna have to put on my big boy pants for that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNyfLAKlEws

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
How the gently caress did you post something with only 10 views

You're going to quadruple the view count by posting it in the thread

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Page 1000 :toot:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Renegret posted:

How the gently caress did you post something with only 10 views

You're going to quadruple the view count by posting it in the thread

Lol, 19 views now. Who 'liked' it?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Just had parents evening with our 12 year old before she starts high school in the summer.

It was miserable, she doesn’t concentrate, doesn’t play well with others, rushes her work, and is seriously disorganised.

She’s got a diagnosis of inattentive ADHD, but because of the worldwide shortage we can’t get it prescribed.

Fuckin heartbreaking.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Oodles posted:

She’s got a diagnosis of inattentive ADHD, but because of the worldwide shortage we can’t get it prescribed.

Fuckin heartbreaking.

That is rough.

A physician won’t prescribe any ADHD meds because of a shortage at pharmacies doesn’t make sense. If that’s the case, find a new psychiatrist.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Oodles posted:

Just had parents evening with our 12 year old before she starts high school in the summer.

It was miserable, she doesn’t concentrate, doesn’t play well with others, rushes her work, and is seriously disorganised.

Fuckin heartbreaking.

That loving sucks. I hadn't realised there was a shortage of lisdex. I don't know where you are, but if it's anything like Australia, getting the diagnosis is a long process and even keeping in top of medication when in supply is tricky.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

We’re in Scotland. Our next appointment is in the summer, to get an update. The doctor has said she needs medication, but they’re not prescribing it for new patients just now.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Oodles posted:

We’re in Scotland. Our next appointment is in the summer, to get an update. The doctor has said she needs medication, but they’re not prescribing it for new patients just now.

New JAMA article links being medicated for ADHD to lower mortality (study was done in Sweden), so hopefully they’ll reconsider their prescribing approach:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2816084

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

It's literally a supply issue.

In Australia, we're reliant on the US manufacturing lisdexamphetamine, but the FDA(?) puts hard limits on its manufacture. I think in Europe those limits aren't there but Takeda, the company that manufactures it, doesn't seem to have anticipated demand.

The problem is that the people currently prescribed it are having trouble obtaining it and each new prescription makes it that much harder.

We have a patient at work (I'm a psych nurse) currently on both lisdex and dexys and their life is in a poo poo place already (ASD, ADHD, ID and nearly abandoned by their disability support provider). It's scary that it might easily get just that much shitter.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Why do my kids always want to be in the coldest, least comfortable location in the house?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Elissimpark posted:

In Australia, we're reliant on the US manufacturing lisdexamphetamine, but the FDA(?) puts hard limits on its manufacture. I think in Europe those limits aren't there but Takeda, the company that manufactures it, doesn't seem to have anticipated demand.

The problem is that the people currently prescribed it are having trouble obtaining it and each new prescription makes it that much harder.

We have a patient at work (I'm a psych nurse) currently on both lisdex and dexys and their life is in a poo poo place already (ASD, ADHD, ID and nearly abandoned by their disability support provider). It's scary that it might easily get just that much shitter.

It's even dumber than that in the US. There are hard limits on the manufacture of the active ingredient AND hard quotas for each pill/dose type being manufactured without any way to relocate unused or unneeded quotas.

If you have a prescription you can pretty much walk into any pharmacy in the country right now and walk out with Vyvanse-branded lisdex. But almost nobody's insurance will cover name brand medication if there is an approved generic, and generic lisdex is loving impossible to track down. You could theoretically pay cash but in the US the non-generic version can cost $500+ for a 30 day supply versus like $20-30 for a generic.

Generic dex 10mg instant release is easily available, but extended release is a roll of the dice (unless you are looking for the non-generic version).

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I just want drugs to help her thoughts from whizzing about in her head :(

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We will be flying for the first time ever soon to go see the eclipse up at my dad's house. My youngest is 5 and still uses a booster seat. Can I / should I bring that on the plane?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

Just because they got prescribed medication before your kid doesn't give them preference for delivery of medication.

I agree, get a different doctor, get the prescription and hand off the task of finding medication to you

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Alterian posted:

We will be flying for the first time ever soon to go see the eclipse up at my dad's house. My youngest is 5 and still uses a booster seat. Can I / should I bring that on the plane?

Booster seats can't be used on planes.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Alterian posted:

You can check child seats for free, and you can do so either at the check-in counter or you can carry it to the gate and gate check it (you hand it to them at the jetbridge as you board and get it back when you get off).

Technically I think only infant car seats are supposed to be free to check, but I've never had any issues doing so with the booster.

But no you shouldn't bring it on the plane, unless for some reason you want to blow your carry-on allotment on it.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Just because they got prescribed medication before your kid doesn't give them preference for delivery of medication.

I agree, get a different doctor, get the prescription and hand off the task of finding medication to you

Doesn’t really work like that in the UK. Thanks to our pesky free healthcare, I don’t get to shop around.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Oodles posted:

Doesn’t really work like that in the UK. Thanks to our pesky free healthcare, I don’t get to shop around.

This is the point of the thread where someone says you'd have instant unlimited free medication if it weren't for Trump the Tories, right?

(I don't live in the UK, I've just been on this website for a while, so if it's supposed to be specifically Boris Johnson or somebody instead now, mea culpa)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I think we're all getting ADHD to some degree, even the adults, mainly because of phones. I certainly have lost a lot of concentration ability, don't know if I could read a book anymore...

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think we're all getting ADHD to some degree, even the adults, mainly because of phones. I certainly have lost a lot of concentration ability, don't know if I could read a book anymore...

I have to disagree with this. I agree that phones are destructive to focus, but there's a huge difference between a habit or even an addiction to constant digital stimulation and something like ADHD with a clear biological component.

I've gone cold turkey on digital stuff in the past and forced myself to get back into reading. It's a matter of habit and putting yourself in a position where you're not going to be constantly distracted. Things aren't as easy for my friends with ADHD if they can't get their medication. It's not as simple as locking the phone in a drawer and re-learning how to focus on one task.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think this is a bad take, I'm pretty sure with time and change in habit you could probably be able to do what you need to do. Severe ADHD/ADD precludes the ability to function

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I didn't mean ADHD literally but more like ADHD like symptoms. Another thing I have become bad at is expressing myself.

I do think phones in the hands of kids are ruinous. Both my kids have ADHD diagnoses and are phone addicted so I am no perfect parent practicing what I preach.

I am currently being diagnosed myself though it's a sloooow process and I might still get deemed 'normal' at the end.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Feeding my 3 year old is like some ancient court ritual. The first offering must always be rejected followed by the ceremonial demand of ice cream. If every step is followed, the next offering is accepted.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Just to vent for a minute, my child is autistic to a degree that a doctor has advised that he gets a one to one para to help him with keeping him focused. We have a meeting with his current school coming up to discuss his iep ( individualized education program) as to whether the school can accommodate his needs or whether he would be sent to another school with other autistic students. We want him to stay in his current school, we like his current school and legally, he should be able to get a para but because hiring someone costs money, there’s a concern that the school may not give him a para. I’m hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

Just to vent for a minute, my child is autistic to a degree that a doctor has advised that he gets a one to one para to help him with keeping him focused. We have a meeting with his current school coming up to discuss his iep ( individualized education program) as to whether the school can accommodate his needs or whether he would be sent to another school with other autistic students. We want him to stay in his current school, we like his current school and legally, he should be able to get a para but because hiring someone costs money, there’s a concern that the school may not give him a para. I’m hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Best of luck! Elementary School SpEd teacher here and can offer some general advice to the thread. First make sure you're familiar with your rights as a parent and your kid's right as a student. Every IEP meeting should start with a review of those but there are a few major ones that I'm pretty sure are federal and not specific to CA where I teach.

1) The IEP plan requires your consent and can't be implemented or changed unless you agree to it.
2) All students are entitled to a free and appropriate public education (FAPE).
3) That FAPE is to be provided in the least restrictive environment (LRE).

That third one is where you're probably going to have to squeeze them. The two options you mentioned, a para or a separate autism focused school/class are both considered very restrictive as they de facto separate the student from their general education peers.

As you mention, paras are also expensive for the district and given how poorly they're paid there's a shortage of good new ones. Districts are going to particularly balk at an open-ended one-to-one aide vs. one assigned to meet specific goals like replacing a problem behavior. Legally a district cannot deny a service because it is expensive, but they will likely have a process of "exhausting" less restrictive environments, like resource or inclusion services, until they arrive at hiring a one-to-one.

In my experience I've only gotten a one-to- one into a student's IEP once and the district kept dragging its feet on hiring so long it never actually materialized.

Hopefully you've got a teacher and principal you trust as well as a good SpEd teacher and psychologist for the IEP. When it's working like it's supposed to, you're all collaborating to help the student.

Final miscellany:

• You don't have to sign at the meeting and can take some time to review, ask questions, and request changes.
  • Everything in the IEP the district legally must provide and if they don't, the student is entitled to compensatory services.
  • If it's not written down then it's not in the IEP. I haven't seen a district try to be tricky but I have seen a lot of sloppy IEPs from overworked teachers. A verbal statement that they'll try to get a para is nothing. A note in the IEP that if current services do not result in measured improvement on student goals by a certain date, then a supplementary IEP meeting will be held to discuss one-to-one services, is legally binding.
  • Lawsuits are more expensive to a district than services. This creates the tragic circumstance where richer parents who have the time to bug the district, double-check paperwork and credibly threaten action can get almost anything for their kids while working class parents get the runaround. If you feel like the IEP team isn't working reasonably with you, try to find a special education advocate through a local non-profit to help you.
  • Although there's overlap a medical disability diagnosis and a district's learning disability diagnosis are not the same thing. SpEd diagnoses are based on a measured deficit in academic performance that is explicable by deficits in some mental abilities. This means that if a disability expresses itself differently in the home environment than at school, or if a medical diagnosis isn't impeding academic performance, then the diagnoses can diverge slightly.

Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions about the process.

Canasta_Nasty fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 16, 2024

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I just wanna add my experience with IEPs as a parent.

The meetings are fast paced and overwhelming. The committee does a ton of these meetings, and like any other industry they have their own language that you don't speak so you're going to have a hard time keeping up. It's not that they don't care, it's just that for them it's just another Tuesday meeting to get through. That means you need to be well prepared, take notes on any evaluations with a focus on specific milestones or benchmarks that your child is lacking. Have some specific examples in mind for why they need a para as well.

And don't worry if you're having trouble following along because honestly I think that's normal

e:

Canasta_Nasty posted:

Every IEP meeting should start with a review of those but there are a few major ones that I'm pretty sure are federal and not specific to CA where I teach.

1) The IEP plan requires your consent and can't be implemented or changed unless you agree to it.
2) All students are entitled to a free and appropriate public education (FAPE).
3) That FAPE is to be provided in the least restrictive environment (LRE).

Confirming this is how it is in NY as well. Also your post is really good, it should go in an OP if we had one. The process is overwhelming for an outsider and I have no idea how you're expected to manage it. I'm blessed that my wife and 2 other family members do these meetings regularly so I have the luxury of being useless.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 16, 2024

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

We have a final visit with a pediatrician specialist, whose findings we will present at the IEP and we will be able to get assistive technology for our child and a orientative meeting about the technology with the parents, teacher and others to familiarize ourselves with the technology. Apart from that, I don’t know what else we can do. Trying to get an appointment with the pediatrician specialist took a couple of years because they were booked up and we only just found out that the pre k he was in, didn’t follow up with their proposal for assistive technology. We only found out about their non follow up months after he graduated from pre k.

In New York, one can place their child in district 75 which does provide support for children with significant challenges we heard a negative remark from a friend about their experience and we hope to keep him in his current school. He may not be able to socialize/ interact with his general education peers but I hope his issues would weigh against him. His issues being somewhat non verbal and keeping on task once he is focused on something unrelated to class work. In terms of physicality, he jumps and stomps his feet and bangs his knuckles together.

This is all to say that we tried to get him the help he can get, to the best of our abilities and what we knew was available to us. I don’t think he’s a kid that would need to be put into another district but that he just needs a bit of assistance and patience to learn.

I’m just nervous(freaking out?) about putting my child before judgment where perceived milestones for us, may not mean anything to the judges and that even if things are in our favor, he may not get the help he needs, in a timely manner.

Everything is fine.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"It's nice to fart on a mountainside" - my daughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

"It's nice to fart on a mountainside" - my daughter