Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Insert name here posted:

I don't know if it ever got fixed but a couple of patches ago (around the time the Kidd was released), someone did testing and found out that SE doesn't actually increase the amount you get back from a heal. The UI updates to say you heal more hp/s but you actually only repair the same amount of HP as not running SE.

Interesting, if that's the case, then SE is not a useful skill. The flat bonus is basically nothing, the real bonus is the increased % of HP regained per tick on repair, plus the increased amount of HP hypothetically regained throughout the course of the match due to the % of flat bonus, ranging from "pretty decent" at 40% repairable damage to "most important skill you can get besides CE" at 100% potential repairable damage. Then tempered by the fact it assumes you wouldn't get citadeled at all, which we all know will deffo happen sometimes in a mino with the calibers being thrown around.

I'll try to do some testing in Training on this to see if it got fixed. If not, I'll put up replay and post to the official forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It was understandable why they removed stealth firing from the game, but the real problem is that they've never bothered to rebalance some of the ships that best took advantage of it. Does Zao necessarily NEED the 10k hp they stripped off it as a nerf to supposed balance its steath fire capability? Probably not but it really wouldn't hurt, and there's no reason a goddamn Minotaur should have more health than it any more.

TheFluff posted:

I take priority target on everything except CV’s, and you should too. There are a few ships where it’s not quite as huge of a deal, but in general the info it gives you is far too useful to ever pass up. Being good at this game is at least 75% situational awareness and PT is the second most useful tool to help you with that, after the minimap. Seriously, it can even tell you when someone is launching torpedoes at you. It’s absolutely invaluable, and especially so late in the game when you really need it to secure the win.

Adrenaline Rush is also pretty much a no-brainer on everything except CV’s. Taking BFT or the torpedo reload skill but not AR is highly questionable - AR affects every weapon you have, the damage boost is bigger at 50% HP or less, and it’s only two points. It’s almost as mandatory as CE.

Was this changed? Last I heard (a while back) Situational Awareness specifically did not trigger when one was being targeted with torpedoes (and thus DDs staying in torpedo mode can avoid looking like they're targeting someone). Or are you just referring to people flipping back and forth between weapons?

As for Adrenaline Rush, it's good but I'm going to argue your latter point. For one, there aren't many ships that take BFT for the reload reduction any more due to the caliber limitation and it being 3 points - most that do are taking it for the AA boost, which AR does nothing for. In regards to Torpedo Armament Expertise, for torpedo-focused ships a skill that constantly provides a 10% reload reduction as opposed to one that only surpasses that when they're below 50% health is probably the better choice - especially since they may not dip below that until late-game anyways, or at all.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Free 10 point USN Kappa captain and some crates for linking your twitch prime to wargaming. I just got a bunch of camo/flags but hey, free stuff.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Also, I try to stay at high HP whenever possible in the Minotaur, simply because I will on occasion be in a situation where I will have to dash into a battleship to utterly gently caress his day up, and accept that I am going to take some amount of damage and angle myself to minimize the amount that is. Usually end up taking something like a 20-30 thousand damage hit (much of it I will end up repairing), so for most of the game, AR is wasted.

Also the actual reload speed benefit is just not really that big on a Minotaur. On most other cruisers, or a battleship, sure, but I prefer to keep my health up because I expect to and need to trade, and keeping it high reduces the chance of instadying due to a particularly on-point citadel slam.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Billionaire-turned-explorer Paul Allen has discovered the missing wreck of the World War II carrier USS Lexington (CV-2) at the bottom of the Coral Sea.
The crew of his personal research ship R/V Petrel found the missing ship two miles below the surface and about 500 miles off the eastern coast of Australia, he announced on Monday.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Lord Koth posted:

Was this changed? Last I heard (a while back) Situational Awareness specifically did not trigger when one was being targeted with torpedoes (and thus DDs staying in torpedo mode can avoid looking like they're targeting someone). Or are you just referring to people flipping back and forth between weapons?
The latter. Late in a game, when you get spotted and targeted by some invisible DD, if the targeting stops for a few seconds and then comes back then you know they switched to torpedoes and then switched back to guns - that is, they most likely dropped torps. It's usually quite reliable, only really turbo tryhard DD's know that it's a thing.

Lord Koth posted:

As for Adrenaline Rush, it's good but I'm going to argue your latter point. For one, there aren't many ships that take BFT for the reload reduction any more due to the caliber limitation and it being 3 points - most that do are taking it for the AA boost, which AR does nothing for. In regards to Torpedo Armament Expertise, for torpedo-focused ships a skill that constantly provides a 10% reload reduction as opposed to one that only surpasses that when they're below 50% health is probably the better choice - especially since they may not dip below that until late-game anyways, or at all.

Huh, I could've sworn it affected AA but yeah it looks like I'm wrong on that one. I think BFT is still debatable though, 20% AA DPS sounds like a lot but I really don't think it's enough to make a big swing.

As for AR on DD's, if you're not taking any damage then you're probably not contesting caps and that means you're really not doing your job.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

TheFluff posted:

The latter. Late in a game, when you get spotted and targeted by some invisible DD, if the targeting stops for a few seconds and then comes back then you know they switched to torpedoes and then switched back to guns - that is, they most likely dropped torps. It's usually quite reliable, only really turbo tryhard DD's know that it's a thing.

Yeah but knowing that they know this, it can be very nice to switch back and forth, note their behavior change, and then do it again, and then launch. In my IJN DD's also I tend to switch to torps after every salvo because my reload is long enough, so, it's not really much of an indicator of anything.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!

Lord Koth posted:

Most DDs make the mistake of switching back to guns immediately after torping, which tics PT up and down. Aware BB/Cruiser drivers will react to this and consequently avoid entire torp salvos.

Smarter DDs will play mind games with PT and will try and use it (among other tricks) to try and get a target to turn or slow to a more optimal spot if they can by flicking PT on purpose, or open fire for the same effect.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Finally I'm vindicated in randomly hammering 1, 3 and x because I'm bored and can't wait to get into range.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Rorac posted:

Also the actual reload speed benefit is just not really that big on a Minotaur. On most other cruisers, or a battleship, sure, but I prefer to keep my health up because I expect to and need to trade, and keeping it high reduces the chance of instadying due to a particularly on-point citadel slam.

Reload speed will win you late games. hands down

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Herr Bazooka posted:

Is there even is stealth AA fire? I mean thats why IJN DDs turn their AA off so useless AA wont start firing and uncover you.

There's two ways to AA while undetected. The first is to be in a smoke cloud, as planes will never be a factor in detecting ships in smoke. The second is to... well... kill the enemy planes in your very first AA tick. Your AA will pop off, but as the plane dies before it has a chance to spot your increased detection radius, you go unspotted. It only really happens occasionally when dealing with scout planes in ships like the Akizuki, Harekaze, and DDs running defensive fire. Or the Minotaur, of course.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Just watched a little bit of a CV player stream and it confirmed all of my salt. "Oh, look a DD .... *click click click* *zap*". Totally unavoidable, totally no recourse, and totally no risk to the CV.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

toadee posted:

Just watched a little bit of a CV player stream and it confirmed all of my salt. "Oh, look a DD .... *click click click* *zap*". Totally unavoidable, totally no recourse, and totally no risk to the CV.

The DD counter to CV planes loving them up is to stay near their anti-aircraft cruisers.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

The Prong Song posted:

The DD counter to CV planes loving them up is to stay near their anti-aircraft cruisers.

So essentially, don't play. There's nothing to do in a DD if you're hip hugging a cruiser or a battleship. You need to be out in front spotting and capping or you literally aren't doing anything.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Why do I hate the La Galissoniere and love the De Grasse?

It might be because I spec’ed IFHE instead of CE and AR instead of EM in the DeGrasse for my first 2 and 4 point skills. I’m really thinking I should respect for that that for the La Galissoniere as well.

Edit: or is it better to keep the EM and CE for the heavier CAs down the line?

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 5, 2018

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

toadee posted:

So essentially, don't play. There's nothing to do in a DD if you're hip hugging a cruiser or a battleship. You need to be out in front spotting and capping or you literally aren't doing anything.

In games with a CV (or an overload of DD on each side), I typically play a little more passive and deliberate early-game. You can get up and sit on the edge of the cap and try to cap it and see what the CV does with his planes in the meantime, and if he comes back to spot you then you just run away. Better to survive longer than to secure a cap right at the beginning of the match and trade your ship for it. Also if you get to the Fletcher and Gearing, I like to run DF on those instead of speed boost. Good to pop spotter planes with if there's no CV, and good to help scatter plane drops if there is one.

Victor Surge posted:

It might be because I spec’ed IFHE instead of CE and AR instead of EM in the DeGrasse for my first 2 and 4 point skills. I’m really thinking I should respect for that that for the La Galissoniere as well.

After LaGal, you don't need IFHE anymore as they switch over to 203's with the Algerie. How many points is your commander? The 152 cruisers really need a 14 point commander to feel comfortable because ideally you'd like to have IFHE and CE at the same time.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

toadee posted:

Was it femme? It's pretty disgusting what she can do, especially to German bb's.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

toadee posted:

This isn't true. You can move in and out of AA defenses, and don't undervalue throwing high-arcing HE salvos towards enemies to pull their attention around. If you're playing defensively instead of aggressively in the early part of the match, you're doing less. But you're neutralizing the enemy CV if he's focused on you, and that's potentially a greater contribution to victory.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Victor Surge posted:

La Galissoniere is really not much of an improvement over the absolutely top tier T5 that the Emile is, no. It’s definitely one of the worst T6 cruisers.

You don’t need EM on the French cruisers; most of them have quite snappy turrets. From T7 and up they get 7 degrees/s stock which is already better than what most 203mm cruisers get with EM. None of the T7 and up want IFHE either, but CE is mandatory as always, of course.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 6, 2018

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
On the Z46 right now but the meta seems to be a big change from Z23. I was doing very well in the Z23 but have a 25% win rate in Z46. The pervasiveness of radar is insane. I am often pushing caps and even though I might take the opposing DD down with me, its just a trade when there is just so much radar around. Not trying to push caps early seems kind of wrong too as everyone else is doing it but they seem to just accept that sometimes you get rear end hosed by radar.

I just finished a game where I ended up beating a Benson 1 v 1 but a New Orleans lit me up with radar part way through the fight while I was dodging torpedoes and couldn't escape the radar range and I was pelted to death by his entire team. It didn't help that no one on my team bothered to take out the New Orleans to shut down the radar. I actually survived the radar duration alive but stray shots into my smoke several seconds later ended me. Not sure if it was wrong to go in and take on the Benson or not.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Does anyone have tips for taking on French battleships? I feel like I'm missing something incredibly obvious.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Soup Inspector posted:

Does anyone have tips for taking on French battleships? I feel like I'm missing something incredibly obvious.

They are covered bow to stern in 32mm so basically any HE flinging thing will eat them!

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

MikeC posted:

On the Z46 right now but the meta seems to be a big change from Z23. I was doing very well in the Z23 but have a 25% win rate in Z46. The pervasiveness of radar is insane. I am often pushing caps and even though I might take the opposing DD down with me, its just a trade when there is just so much radar around. Not trying to push caps early seems kind of wrong too as everyone else is doing it but they seem to just accept that sometimes you get rear end hosed by radar.

I just finished a game where I ended up beating a Benson 1 v 1 but a New Orleans lit me up with radar part way through the fight while I was dodging torpedoes and couldn't escape the radar range and I was pelted to death by his entire team. It didn't help that no one on my team bothered to take out the New Orleans to shut down the radar. I actually survived the radar duration alive but stray shots into my smoke several seconds later ended me. Not sure if it was wrong to go in and take on the Benson or not.
Sometimes you just have to resist the temptation to hard commit to DD duels early. I honestly had to same issue making the jump to the Z46.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Just picked up New Orleans. Am I going to love life, or hate it? What's the current meta strategy with this bote?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cobbsprite posted:

Just picked up New Orleans. Am I going to love life, or hate it? What's the current meta strategy with this bote?

Use islands and concealment to avoid getting murdered, hope you can find some distracted ships to light up. The AP is the typical very good US AP so don't neglect it if you find broadside BBs. The short range on it drove me nuts though.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Soup Inspector posted:

Do not get within close range to them, at least the mid tier ones. The tier 6 has twelve guns and the tier 7 has sixteen. The tier 6 also has unbattleship-like handling, pushing 30knots and turns more like a heavy cruiser than a battleship.

Also lmfao the tier 10 has 8km range secondaries stock.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cobbsprite posted:

It's a somewhat tricky ship to play, but I think it's in a better position now than it's ever been. You can play it like a better Pensacola, but that's kinda missing out on some of its finer points. It (and to a lesser extent its bigger meaner sister, the Baltimore) is really more of an alpha-focused ambusher than a DPM machine like most of the other US cruisers. It has amazing concealment at 9.1km these days, best of all the US cruisers I'm pretty sure, and it's got a 9km radar that lasts 30s, so it's a potentially amazing cap contester - as soon as you get spotted you can just press your button and collect DD tears. It is a bit limited though by its very long reload (especially before you get the gun upgrade - the reload is fifteen seconds on the stock guns and only improves to twelve with the top configuration), so you really want to be sure you have some teammates who can help you shoot DD's. Contesting caps in a radar cruiser is also a very risky business in general, so take it easy until you start getting the feel for it. Sometimes (actually a lot of the time) you’re more valuable hiding behind an island next to the cap where you can’t even shoot into the cap yourself but are protected from the enemy team (who will definitely focus you if they can). Surprise radar is always nasty, and even if they know you’re there, your mere presence is enough to make enemy DD’s stay away.

Other than that, just like on the Pensacola the HE is okay and the AP is great. You don't have the super heavy "what loving kind of wacky rear end citadel was that" shells yet, you only get those on the Baltimore and Des Moines, but it's still really good. Sadly with the long reload it's a bit of a gamble to have right ammo type loaded, but with how strong the AP is it's actually hard to go wrong with preferring that.

The AA is surprisingly bad for a US cruiser, although that just means it's mediocre by most other standards. Most of the damage is on very short range auras and unlike most other T8 cruisers you can't push the long range aura out to 7.2km at all (it's limited to 6km even with AFT and the AA range module), which means it's decent for self-defense but not great at defending teammates.

Finally, much like every other US cruiser it absolutely loves islands and you should hug every island at every opportunity. It's just what you gotta do to survive as a high tier short range cruiser, and it suffers heavily on maps like Tears of the Cruisers and Okinawa. If you grow to like the New Orleans though you will loving love the Baltimore (one of my favorite T9's) and of course the Des Moines. Seriously, everyone should get the Des Moines, it's the most cruiser-y cruiser in the game and everything great about US cruisers in one package.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 6, 2018

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Rorac posted:

Also lmfao the tier 10 has 8km range secondaries stock.

Although it also has either bugged or lovely armour and can be citadeled by crusiers at the center waterline.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Hey, if any of y'all live in the Austin TX area and have backround in BI, you have an opportunity to influence the game development maybe :q:

http://jobs.jobvite.com/careers/wargaming-america/job/o5626fw3?__jvst=Employee&__jvsd=s3PWPfwn&__jvsc=Url&bid=njoODDwg

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I really, really hate that stupid rear end ice map. Every tier 10 game ( and it is always a tier 10 game ) features the tier 10 battleships squaring off nose to nose while pretty much everything that isn't a tier 10 BB or a DD hangs way the gently caress back.

Since there is no cover, you can't really take your tier 8/9 BB or your CL anywhere to flank the Yamatos/Montanas/whatever sitting around at 20KM. And you can't really bang it out with them, either, unless you're in something like a Lion that can just Donkey Kong kegs of red hot fire across the map.

I'd rather have Tears because at least dudes move on that now.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I really, really hate that stupid rear end ice map. Every tier 10 game ( and it is always a tier 10 game ) features the tier 10 battleships squaring off nose to nose while pretty much everything that isn't a tier 10 BB or a DD hangs way the gently caress back.

Since there is no cover, you can't really take your tier 8/9 BB or your CL anywhere to flank the Yamatos/Montanas/whatever sitting around at 20KM. And you can't really bang it out with them, either, unless you're in something like a Lion that can just Donkey Kong kegs of red hot fire across the map.

I'd rather have Tears because at least dudes move on that now.

In general, most of the high tier maps are awful for good play. A lot of wide open water with small amounts of cover. Of course you can't shoot over the cover in a cruiser / low tier BB most of the time, so you are busy doing open water kiting to try and get any damage in.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
I came back around to the Moskva this weekend and rediscovering it is nice. Railguns and citadeling a Monty with AP is nice. Keep yourself angled and bounce most damage. It's a nice reward for finishing the dumpster fire that is the Donskoi.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!

Loky11 posted:

I came back around to the Moskva this weekend and rediscovering it is nice. Railguns and citadeling a Monty with AP is nice. Keep yourself angled and bounce most damage. It's a nice reward for finishing the dumpster fire that is the Donskoi.

I thought it was just me, I had a tough time in the Donny even though I thought I would love it.

Actually all the tier 9 cruisers seem a little finicky for me. Crossing from Balt/Neptune/Don to DM/Mino/Moskva immediately jumped my winrate almost 10% and damage by an order of magnitude higher as well. Not seeing nearly the same dramatic difference going from T9 DDs to T10, by way of comparison.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Mauzeraut posted:

I thought it was just me, I had a tough time in the Donny even though I thought I would love it.

Actually all the tier 9 cruisers seem a little finicky for me. Crossing from Balt/Neptune/Don to DM/Mino/Moskva immediately jumped my winrate almost 10% and damage by an order of magnitude higher as well. Not seeing nearly the same dramatic difference going from T9 DDs to T10, by way of comparison.

I mean, the Donny is fine if you just like running around shooting at max range and having no real impact on the game until there are like 3 BB's and a DD left.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Pacra posted:

They are covered bow to stern in 32mm so basically any HE flinging thing will eat them!

Alright, that's good to know. But what if you're in something with rather crap HE (or in a RN CL)? Am I right in thinking you'd need to be more reliant on other members of your team to handle them?

Rorac posted:

Do not get within close range to them, at least the mid tier ones. The tier 6 has twelve guns and the tier 7 has sixteen. The tier 6 also has unbattleship-like handling, pushing 30knots and turns more like a heavy cruiser than a battleship.

Thanks for the tips!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Loky11 posted:

I mean, the Donny is fine if you just like running around shooting at max range and having no real impact on the game until there are like 3 BB's and a DD left.

Russian_Cruisers.txt

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Did i miss the memo on the stat tracking websites? did they stop tracking?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Loky11 posted:

I actually had a way higher winrate on my Donskoi than my Baltimore: the radar range and railgun arcs made me a deterrent to cruisers and destroyers and I played fairly aggressive.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 6, 2018

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Blindeye posted:

I actually had a way higher winrate on my Donskoi than my Baltimore: the radar ranger and railgun arcs made me a deterrent to cruisers and destroyers and I played fairly aggressive.

I had this same experience but with the Moskva. Play aggressive. Chase down and make them run. The Donskoi just took too much damage and didn't have that troll bounce potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The Donskoi is perfectly fine, but being aggressive in it requires finesse. You can zone people in it really loving hard but you usually need to do it from just enough range. It's a different playstyle from the US cruisers for sure, but it's really not a bad ship and if you feel like you don't have an impact in it, you may need to work on your positioning. You can't push caps with radar at the start of the game at all like you can in a Baltimore, but the radar usually comes in really handy later in the game.

Oh, and it needs IFHE pretty badly.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 6, 2018