Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Did you hand- (well, tablet-) paint the ground? You're really nailing the heck out of your target aesthetic. ^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Omi no Kami posted:

Did you hand- (well, tablet-) paint the ground? You're really nailing the heck out of your target aesthetic. ^^
not a single pixel! :v:

I talked about it earlier and it's what set off this entire project to begin with - the textures are all done by making cheesy high-poly models, rendering them and scaling them down. It's great because the high poly models can be made super quickly and look like absolute trash and the end result still comes out looking just right. I've never been good at painting textures and it has always held me back, so when I discovered that this technique was the key to getting the style I was after all along it really inspired me to start this project.

the high poly model for the leafy ground texture actually looks like this (just made one lovely leaf and copied + pasted it a bunch)

and this is the palm leaf

after spending so much time doing ultra low poly models and caring intensely about topology and stuff it feels good to just mash out some terrible gaudy high poly art with complete disregard for every rule in the book and somehow end up with something that looks just right. Like the mesh for the gold coin is this ungodly mess....

but once it's rendered....

and scaled down...
...it looks perfect! :pram:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If you told me those were old RARE assets I'd believe you

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can tell that's not Blender because you have to work to get Blender that ugly.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

I can tell that's not Blender because you have to work to get Blender that ugly.
Yup, it's the one thing I still have to use 3ds Max for :v: I simply can't get that terribly dated look I'm going for with Blender, and I've tried!

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I'm genuinely surprised that with the success of Octopath Traveler more people aren't doing the entire "mediocre pixel art with really good post-processing effects" shtiq more. More so I'm surprised that there doesn't exist exist a better art pipeline for it.

The only one I've found for it is:

Pixel Art Tool -> Blender with a plugin only compatible with blender 2.79b (paint a tile) -> export the tile as 3d model to Unity -> A janky 3d Tilemapping (proTileMapEditor) tool that runs in runtime and then serializes the output to be loaded into an existing scene at edit time that still uses GUI.

That being said, once my shitcan grade Japanese internet stops being terrible I'm interested to see if I can make a coherent map out of it with fancy lighting and all.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Your Computer posted:

Yup, it's the one thing I still have to use 3ds Max for :v: I simply can't get that terribly dated look I'm going for with Blender, and I've tried!

I dont do game design or even particularly like Rare collectathon style nintendo 64 games but this is inspiring and very cool to me. It looks fantastic

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Attempt 1 did not go well. Not visible but technically present: all the walls were supposed to be rendered but failed to be rendered due to them me painting them on backwards and not realizing until I exported to unity.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ok so here's a thing. I thought I was smart to have my save/load code set up to loop so if I had 40 story flags and I need one more it would just require me to change a number from 40 to 41. Right?
Cept I was getting frustrated with how long it took to save and load while debugging. and then I thought, ok gently caress it what is the actual difference between 5 loops and 400 lines of code.
It's this much of a difference:

https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/1181602709478281216

:negative:

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 8, 2019

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SweetBro posted:

I'm genuinely surprised that with the success of Octopath Traveler more people aren't doing the entire "mediocre pixel art with really good post-processing effects" shtiq more. More so I'm surprised that there doesn't exist exist a better art pipeline for it.

The only one I've found for it is:

Pixel Art Tool -> Blender with a plugin only compatible with blender 2.79b (paint a tile) -> export the tile as 3d model to Unity -> A janky 3d Tilemapping (proTileMapEditor) tool that runs in runtime and then serializes the output to be loaded into an existing scene at edit time that still uses GUI.

That being said, once my shitcan grade Japanese internet stops being terrible I'm interested to see if I can make a coherent map out of it with fancy lighting and all.

Sprytile was nice at first but it ended up being more efficient for me to build things by hand because of its weird editor controls that are based around the 3D cursor. I briefly flirted with this for a game using the ZX Spectrum's palette but going back to edit a map was clunky. Haven't tried that protilemapeditor but it looks pretty sweet.

https://twitter.com/jaybee_tyn/status/1163947691967225856

After finding a comfortable workflow with 2.8 I'm never looking back.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

SweetBro posted:

Attempt 1 did not go well. Not visible but technically present: all the walls were supposed to be rendered but failed to be rendered due to them me painting them on backwards and not realizing until I exported to unity.

You may well already be aware, but if you're modeling in Blender, there's a "recalculate normals" command (bound to shift-N) in edit mode, to fix this kind of problem.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shoehead posted:

If you told me those were old RARE assets I'd believe you

For real, its incredible seeing Your Computer basically recreate the old workstation to sprite workflow that Rare had, exactly.

Looks great, although I feel like some of the amazing detail is lost. I guess that's how n64 was though. I always marvelled at the high res renders of objects in the ocarina of time game manual.

Ive been afraid to work in 3D because of the amount of detail, but Your Computer is an inspiration. I also found a VR project that uses intentionally low poly and low res textures to create a retro 8-bit VR aesthetic and I looooooove it. So if I ever finish this 2d zelda clone, I may dip my toes in VR and see if I can't manage a retro aesthetic in a way.

I'm also morbidly curious what affine texture mapping would look like in VR :prepop:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 8, 2019

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Your Computer posted:

guess I got a new project codename :ghost: also thanks, it means a lot!

didn't get much new done today since I'm still working on redoing the animations (did jumping and landing but I still need to tweak them) and I'm also restructuring my code after discovering the 3D Game Kit. Why did no one tell me about this before?! :v: Man, it's a goldmine of "how do I..." and I've been digging through all the scripts trying to figure out a bunch of stuff. Not everything is applicable since it uses root motion (bleh!) but there's still a bunch of code there that answers questions I had about structure and such. The player Animator Controller is also very interesting and it's structured way differently than mine (and to what makes intuitive sense to me). For example there's not a single jumping animation but multiple "stages" and a blend tree that blends between them using the vertical velocity? Very interesting! I've tried doing something similar with my jump but I still need to work on getting it to look right.

to get a break from the coding I've done a few more textures, focusing on stuff I'll need for the jungle level. Made a leaf-covered and a vine-covered ground texture, and some palm trees!

still gonna need a lot more vegetation before it's a jungle but at least it's a start!

Your Computer posted:

not a single pixel! :v:

I talked about it earlier and it's what set off this entire project to begin with - the textures are all done by making cheesy high-poly models, rendering them and scaling them down. It's great because the high poly models can be made super quickly and look like absolute trash and the end result still comes out looking just right. I've never been good at painting textures and it has always held me back, so when I discovered that this technique was the key to getting the style I was after all along it really inspired me to start this project.

the high poly model for the leafy ground texture actually looks like this (just made one lovely leaf and copied + pasted it a bunch)

and this is the palm leaf

after spending so much time doing ultra low poly models and caring intensely about topology and stuff it feels good to just mash out some terrible gaudy high poly art with complete disregard for every rule in the book and somehow end up with something that looks just right. Like the mesh for the gold coin is this ungodly mess....

but once it's rendered....

and scaled down...
...it looks perfect! :pram:

This is awesome. You're awesome. :allears:

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You may well already be aware, but if you're modeling in Blender, there's a "recalculate normals" command (bound to shift-N) in edit mode, to fix this kind of problem.

I was not, and I'm very thankful for informing me of that. As that lead too:

My second attempt.

Hmm... This has potential. I need to be play around with post-processing and material options a bit more though.

To be fair. 99% of the reason I'm using it over just manually painting the textures on objects is the fact that I honestly just have next to no 3D modeling skills what so ever and it provides me with a semi-familiar to 2D tiling interface that I can cope with. Though I suspect once I actually move just making rooms into making objects, I'm actually going to need how to do normal 3D texturing anyways.

What was the workflow you ended up going with?

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 8, 2019

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SweetBro posted:

What was the workflow you ended up going with?

Create a default plane in blender. Create a material for it, open shader editor, and add a tileset as an image texture with "closest" interpolation (this is nearest neighbor). Open UV editor, load the image texture, and set "snap to pixel corner." Drag the edges of the plane's UV (hold ctrl for per-pixel movement) until it aligns with your tileset. You've just made a 3D "tile."

What I like to do is create a separate layer with "prefab" tiles you can just reference to duplicate and drop around. It's not as efficient as an editor with built in brushes but I also have finer control over everything more so than an editor would. I usually shift + d (duplicate) and move these planes around with vertex snapping. Your tri count will balloon quickly but you can optimize when the piece is finished. When I'm moving stuff around in edit mode I make liberal use of the L key which selects all verts/lines/faces connected together. So you can select whole pieces in edit mode which is normally a hassle because you're usually selecting them individually or box selecting. This is why it pays sometimes to not connect everything.

After finishing, check to make sure the normals are facing the right direction. If you want to you can optimize the piece by going into edit mode and "merge by distance" (in 2.79 this is called "remove doubles"). This will delete all the duplicate vertices created by duplicating and snapping planes. I didn't really bother because ~6,000 tris is nothing.

Plop into Unity and add some fancy post-processing.

And yeah, Link's Awakening demake. If I had more time I'd throw the water texture on a gaudy rear end reflective shader and hand paint a normal map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ0vrDTA0sA

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

al-azad posted:

And yeah, Link's Awakening demake. If I had more time I'd throw the water texture on a gaudy rear end reflective shader and hand paint a normal map.

:allears:

loving wow that looks good

quoting this so I can reference it if I do work on some low-fi VR project later on

Speaking of normal maps, normal maps in VR look pretty wild. I found a brick wall in a VR game and figured it was normal mapped, and sure enough if I moved my head to look at it at a really oblique angle then it'd suddenly go flat, but as long as you were looking at it even remotely close to perpendicular then it was 100% convincing depth as though it was just extra polygons. VR is weird.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zaphod42 posted:

Speaking of normal maps, normal maps in VR look pretty wild. I found a brick wall in a VR game and figured it was normal mapped, and sure enough if I moved my head to look at it at a really oblique angle then it'd suddenly go flat, but as long as you were looking at it even remotely close to perpendicular then it was 100% convincing depth as though it was just extra polygons. VR is weird.

What I love about this is it's more or less exactly the same way a hologram works, except because it doesn't have to be etched into a shiny foil it fools your brain even more efficiently.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/byobattleship/status/1181713685930070017

Seriously, UI coding sucks y'all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Seriously, UI coding sucks y'all.

Fuckin yeah it does. :cheers:

Lots of work for what doesn't feel as significant. There's probably some $5 library I could buy that would make things simpler but then I'd have to learn all their things and in other ways it'd be more complicated.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ0vrDTA0sA
heck yea, quoting this as well because it's one of the things I've been wanting to toy around with (not for this project, but in general)

I actually hated how Octopath Traveler looked at first, since I have a lot of nostalgia for and really like low poly pixel-textured 3D (talked about it in several posts in fact :v:) but it has grown on me and it's a pretty fun and anachronistic combination. I still feel like they slathered on the post-FX a bit too heavy in Octopath but the concept is still fun.

Zaphod42 posted:

For real, its incredible seeing Your Computer basically recreate the old workstation to sprite workflow that Rare had, exactly.
I really appreciate all the kind responses :3: I don't know why it never occurred to me previously to try doing this sort of workflow. I think I mentioned this before but I "discovered" it pretty much by accident as I was playing some Banjo Kazooie after getting all hyped on up Banjo in Smash Bros. Walked around looking at the textures thinking "how did they even get the textures to look that way, it's almost like they're 3....D.... oh" :cripes:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Progress every day!

https://twitter.com/DevSpacePrez/status/1181725747247026176?s=20

Bats now have a nice new set of chompers

Ignore the hideous background this is my combat playtest space

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Anyone have some recommendations on spritesheet editors? I want to be able to take apart and rebuild some assets that I bought so I have a set of sheets that make sense for the project I'm using them on.

Hover
Jun 14, 2003

Your post hits a tree.
The tree is an ent.
The tree is angry.

Zaphod42 posted:

Ive been afraid to work in 3D because of the amount of detail, but Your Computer is an inspiration. I also found a VR project that uses intentionally low poly and low res textures to create a retro 8-bit VR aesthetic and I looooooove it. So if I ever finish this 2d zelda clone, I may dip my toes in VR and see if I can't manage a retro aesthetic in a way.

It's not 8-bit but I've had a lot of fun making models for VR with low poly and flat shading or simple texture

https://twitter.com/stacksquatch/status/1153042719100456960

https://twitter.com/stacksquatch/status/1160279902203064322

Low poly is it's own skill but I found it a lot easier to make sense of. That goes double in VR where details can be seen with a lot more clarity and traditional tools like bump mapping break down. Would recommend A+++ as someone who never considered themselves a 3D artist.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Low poly is definitely its own skill (those look great!) but I do think it makes it easier to produce more content and you can get away with things being less perfect. What would look super janky in a detailed 3d environment seems fine in a simple low-poly environment.

Its something I was talking about in another thread recently, with sprites you still fill in some of the detail with your imagination, but with hyper-detailed super high poly models, there's nothing left to imagine. There's no implications, everything just IS.

But anyways, I think VR kinda creates an opportunity. In VR you want to keep things super low-poly anyways because performance is so important and you really really need to maintain 90 fps at absolutely all times. But also when you're in a VR world, with 3D perspective, even a simple low-resolution textured low-poly model still feels impressive.

Like, I'm really into car racing (both IRL and in sims) and if I'm playing on a monitor, I really want to crank the settings so the cars look nearly photorealistic. But if I'm in VR, I barely even notice the difference between high and low detail car models. Just feeling the size and distance of the objects in 3D perspective is plenty enough detail for you to work with, you're so wrapped up in the action of what's going on around you, you don't care if textures are blurry and fine details are missing.

The 8-bit VR game I was talking about was COMPOUND

uggggh I just absolutely adore that aesthetic. Its like wolfenstein VR. The textures feel very... Amiga? Not exactly 8-bit but super primitive early PC graphics for sure.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Very crisp looking. I wonder what resolution are the environment tiles/textures at.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SweetBro posted:

Very crisp looking. I wonder what resolution are the environment tiles/textures at.

All the textures in that screen could probably fit in a single 128x128 image.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Interesting. I'm curious about the technique used to get such crisped shadows. Are they just part of the sprite?

Also something mildly related: Any of you blender experts know how to a tiled texture with variations with shader nodes? If such a thing is even possible?

To clarify: In most 2D tilesets you can declare some tiles to be variations of a "main" tile. Whenever you would paint with the main tile it would randomly choose between that and the tiles you've labeled as variations. I would like to do a simialar thing, but on the texturing layer. Import a 128x96 image, where every 32x32 block is a texture. Then whenever the shader would repeat a tile, there would be a random (but snapped to the 32x32 dimensions) UV offset applied to the UV map for that particular repeat of the tile.

I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information about this, and anything I was able to find was at least 8+ years old and gently caress all useful. (I'm using 2.8 for this).

Or maybe it might just be less painful to implement variations on the Unity level, but I imagine the spiking object count would gently caress the poo poo out of performance.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Why wouldn't you write a Unity shader to offset the UVs? You can generate pseudo-random numbers in shaders.

I'm not sure what you mean by "spiking object count".

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Cause I'm not amazing at shader-fu and therefore didn't think of it. My Unity solution was to simply create a 3D tile GameObject to programatically swap out textures with. Hence every tile being an object, which would in turn drastically increase the amount of objects in each scene. But doing it as a shader does sound like a far better alternative to it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I dunno how it would interact with the shader, but keep in mind that the choice shouldn't be rerolled every frame. Each tile in the world should have a random number generated for it on load, and then store that somewhere.

e: another option is to use noise, i.e. decide which tile to use by sampling a white noise thing in such a way that you get the same result frame-to-frame

megane fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 9, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The way to do it in a shader is to multiply the UV coordinates by how many repetitions you want. Use the integer value of the UV (floor) as a 2D input to some noise function that you can use to randomly select your "tile" and the fractional part of the UV as the "tile" UV.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Fool posted:

Anyone have some recommendations on spritesheet editors? I want to be able to take apart and rebuild some assets that I bought so I have a set of sheets that make sense for the project I'm using them on.

TexturePacker seems to be the "industry standard" and by that I mean I see the telltale sign of textures packed using it in a lot of indie games. And it looks like it's 50% off for the next few days so $20 is an absolute steal for this tool.

SweetBro posted:

Interesting. I'm curious about the technique used to get such crisped shadows. Are they just part of the sprite?

Also something mildly related: Any of you blender experts know how to a tiled texture with variations with shader nodes? If such a thing is even possible?

To clarify: In most 2D tilesets you can declare some tiles to be variations of a "main" tile. Whenever you would paint with the main tile it would randomly choose between that and the tiles you've labeled as variations. I would like to do a simialar thing, but on the texturing layer. Import a 128x96 image, where every 32x32 block is a texture. Then whenever the shader would repeat a tile, there would be a random (but snapped to the 32x32 dimensions) UV offset applied to the UV map for that particular repeat of the tile.

I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information about this, and anything I was able to find was at least 8+ years old and gently caress all useful. (I'm using 2.8 for this).

Or maybe it might just be less painful to implement variations on the Unity level, but I imagine the spiking object count would gently caress the poo poo out of performance.

The shadows are hand painted. There appears to be depth because of a normal map but it's actually flat.

What you're looking for is writing your own shader. You can introduce noise or some other random distorting if you just want to scatter things around without drawing unique tiles. It'd be easier to use vertex painting like Polybrush or Unity's terrain painting features and work by hand like a regular tile editor. But to programmatically offset UVs to ensure there's a mathematically distinct variation is something you'll have to code yourself.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

al-azad posted:

TexturePacker seems to be the "industry standard" and by that I mean I see the telltale sign of textures packed using it in a lot of indie games.
Well now I'm curious. Is this like bad kerning where, if you tell me how to recognize it, I'll see it everywhere and it'll drive me nuts?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Cool, I guess I'm gonna try my hand at shader-fu tomorrow. The upside of having a dayjob, is that now I can actually justify experimenting with new stuff instead of sticking to what I know due to the ever looming deadline of running of money.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

megane posted:

Well now I'm curious. Is this like bad kerning where, if you tell me how to recognize it, I'll see it everywhere and it'll drive me nuts?

You won’t really notice it unless you like ripping assets from games like me, but I was browsing through Hollow Knight which has these obviously machine packed sprite sheets. It was wild seeing these beautiful, hi-res sprites compressed together like Tetris blocks.

By contrast Night in the Woods doesn’t pack its sprites so there’s like 60 frames of Mae running which is why that game is so weirdly large.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Well it doesn't look like much, but my fat debug spaceship's turrets are now accurately leading (red ball) their target (blue cube) with both ships in motion while obeying traversal arc restrictions. Another step toward actual gameplay being viable.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Nice! Reminds me of when I started out working on my battleship game. Here's the first screenshot I ever uploaded:

The selected object is a sphere tied to the minute hand of the clock, which I was using as a target for the guns.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

megane posted:

I dunno how it would interact with the shader, but keep in mind that the choice shouldn't be rerolled every frame. Each tile in the world should have a random number generated for it on load, and then store that somewhere.

e: another option is to use noise, i.e. decide which tile to use by sampling a white noise thing in such a way that you get the same result frame-to-frame

Deterministic but seemingly random in shader could work. Gotta be careful the inputs stay consistent then though.

I think picking random offsets at launch and supplying them as shader input uniforms would work just as well and be more stable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SweetBro posted:

I mean, if you use a real low resolution shadow map and render shadows with a shader that uses a limited palette, you could probably get super crispy.

But yeah, I think those are hand painted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

al-azad posted:

By contrast Night in the Woods doesn’t pack its sprites so there’s like 60 frames of Mae running which is why that game is so weirdly large.
This is actually not true, I've attended a talk where the person who made their custom tool for sprite packing went through their entire process and how the sprites are so weirdly sliced and reused for an incredible amount of efficiency and looking at their sheets is complete nonsense.