Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can someone do me a favor and grab a picture of the ADVENT propaganda lady?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
No

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Pretty please?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Labs are p. okay in WOTC, but I'd still rather invest in the other meaningful buildings

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Seedge posted:

I'm not sure these stack anymore: In my last Commander run I had +1 to conventional weapons, and the ballistic pistol and mag pistol ended up with the same damage output of 2-3.

Well, yes. You had +1 to all ballistics, so the ballistic pistol got +1 damage. There is another upgrade to all pistols, which would mean all pistols got +1 damage. When I said they stack, I mean that if you had +1 to all pistols and +1 to all ballistics, your ballistic pistols would have +2 damage, your mag and plasma pistols would have +1 damage, and your ballistic rifles, cannon, shotgun, etc would have +1.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Yeah, I thought people meant they stack across tiers, so +1 conventional would be a +1 all game, with +4 as a cap (conventional, mag, plasma, specific weapon)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Any chance we'll ever see the missing Chosen with a bonus for the grenadier?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Mod I'd been waiting on for awhile now just came out! :woop:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1416242202&searchtext=

Too bad I won't be digging into a new game anytime soon probably, but this will definitely be there next time. Proto Man will be even better this time.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
drat, that’s super cool. Seems weird that using the shield wall ability incurs -20 defense on the user, though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Anonymous Robot posted:

drat, that’s super cool. Seems weird that using the shield wall ability incurs -20 defense on the user, though.

I think the idea is that the person holding the shield is much easier to shoot than the person hiding behind them, due to the fact that they're basically standing up, holding up the shield, and praying for the best.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It might be to discourage the AI from attempting a thin man shot on anyone behind the "wall"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This mod kinda feels a bit too... 'well balanced'. Spending a turn (I assume this is what 'replaces hunker down' means) to provide a full cover location really isn't worth it, and granting half cover is rarely worthwhile. What I'd wanna see is having it grant full cover passively, and maybe 1/time per mission grant Untouchable as a free action.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
An item that provides a boatload of temp HP is pretty decent though

Like it's a strict upgrade from most vests.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Zore posted:

An item that provides a boatload of temp HP is pretty decent though

Like it's a strict upgrade from most vests.

I suppose, but vests kinda suck so that's a pretty low bar... I mean it's a secondary item, so what this really means is that you can sacrifice gremlin powers or swords for the ability to take 1 or 2 extra hits on that soldier. That's still a pretty rough deal.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Think of what 6hp does to squaddies before magnetic armour comes along. Who would CARE if you don't get to use your lovely +20 def gremlin, or 80%-to-hit sword skill to guarantee that guy is getting to the next few promotions? It's basically a mimic beacon, is another way to look at it.

This is why I rarely look at gameplay-changing mods, the base product is polished enough (and crammed with content, with dlcs) that I don't trust random people to do better.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Serephina posted:

Think of what 6hp does to squaddies before magnetic armour comes along. Who would CARE if you don't get to use your lovely +20 def gremlin, or 80%-to-hit sword skill to guarantee that guy is getting to the next few promotions? It's basically a mimic beacon, is another way to look at it.

This is why I rarely look at gameplay-changing mods, the base product is polished enough (and crammed with content, with dlcs) that I don't trust random people to do better.

It's not a mimic beacon because you can't guarantee enemies will attack that character.

Anyway, enh. You've got a few narrow use cases, okay, it's still not terribly exciting to me. Another point is that removing situational options for flat 'now you have more HP' bonuses kinda flattens down the tactical game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Grab the mod that lets you use secondary weapons in primary slots and field an entire force of Rangers with swords and shields. No guns! Only courage and martial prowess :black101:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Angry Diplomat posted:

Grab the mod that lets you use secondary weapons in primary slots and field an entire force of Rangers with swords and shields. No guns! Only courage and martial prowess :black101:
Then a Muton comes along.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

That's what your gas/incendiary grenades and your throwing axes are for :colbert:

Also, Bladestorm. Just stand everyone around it and wait for it to instantly die when it attempts to take any action :v:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vib Rib posted:

Somehow I will never learn that you cannot stab a Muton

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Can they parry Templars? I don't think I've ever tested that.

e: actually, I wonder if they can parry the shield bash thing that mod adds, and whether they can parry while dazed.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 21, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Angry Diplomat posted:

Can they parry Templars? I don't think I've ever tested that.

Yep. Its a random chance just like with other melee attacks.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hmm, now I wonder about non-human melee attacks. Can faceless be parried?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Yes. Explosives too iirc. Parry is really strong.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Oh, we're talking about Muton parrying, not Templar Parrying.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I'm enjoying my latest run quite a bit after downloading 50 random cosmetic mods off the steam workshop.

Only downside is that performance has gone to poo poo. Probably because every other new model is 5000 polygons.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I really like Captain Canada there.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just picked up WotC, and really starting to get back into XCOM2 after not really getting too far into it at launch. Any recommendations for good cosmetic mods? Sorry if this has been asked recently, it's just impossible finding anything on the store that just adds new dressup options instead of just adding Master Chief or some anime lady to the game.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

explosivo posted:

Just picked up WotC, and really starting to get back into XCOM2 after not really getting too far into it at launch. Any recommendations for good cosmetic mods? Sorry if this has been asked recently, it's just impossible finding anything on the store that just adds new dressup options instead of just adding Master Chief or some anime lady to the game.

The mod that adds gear from Titanfall 2 seems really good, but I guess my download was corrupted or I’m missing a texture pack or something because most of my gear is untextured. Titanfall 2 characters look cool and fit the game look well though, and it seems to add a lot of options to every class and armor tier.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

explosivo posted:

Titanfall gear of the various types, the Halo marine packs have a lot of variations you can use without going full master chief, CapnBubs and Jsleezys are the baseline packs, Grim's has a lot of good generic stuff

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

explosivo posted:

For your own sanity, get the EU attack roles mod at the very least mechanically. The way XCOM 2 uses a single roll to determin poo poo is frustrating.

Basically if you had a situation where an enemy has 30% chance to hit, 40% chance to crit you, as a reasonable sane person, would read it as "roll a number between 1 and 100: 1-30 to hit, 31-100 to miss. If you hit, roll another number between 1 and 100, 1-40 crits."

How the game looks at it is that as a unit gains more crit chance it replaces those points of hit with crit and only rolls once. So if crit chance is greater than or equal to your hit chance, then a hit will always be a critical hit. In essence "Roll a number between 1 and 100, 1-30 is a critical hit, 31-100 is a miss" This is why people were so nervous about flashbanging sectoids back near release: the only ability the flashbanged sectoid is left with is "fire weapon". Sure he's got a poo poo chance to hit with it, but the computer likes rolling those dice and when he does hit he'll likely insta-gib one of your starting recruits with a crit because that plasma gauntlet hurts.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I never knew that, jesus christ that's dumb :psyduck:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

They have a few things like that which are FINE but flies in the face of decades of RPG standards.

Personally I like that your ACC goes down if you are directly adjacent to a target because it means they could easily swat your rifle away.
The game doesn't tell you that logic and loads of people complain about it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If the game reflected that in animations, sure, but when it's your soldier staring at a sectoid only to pivot at the last second and fire on a pigeon, I can understand the grief.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It also makes crits overall more common an occurrence. Which means more damage is just lobbed about, which is bad for your early game rookie's life expectancy.

Consider the case: 70% chance to hit, 50% chance to crit.

Standard two-dice rule: 7/10 shots will hit, half of all shits that hit will crit, overall critical hit chance is 35%
XCOM 2's one-die rule: 7/10 shots will hit, half of all shots taken will crit, overall critical hit chance is 50%

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It mainly makes flanking somewhat more consistent in terms of proc'ing crits, which generally helps the player.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Where can I download the mod launcher? I'm gonna start playing WOTC on a new computer and don't know what link is the right one.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Vincent posted:

Where can I download the mod launcher? I'm gonna start playing WOTC on a new computer and don't know what link is the right one.

X2modlauncher on GitHub should find it

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

explosivo posted:

Some clothing/costume options I have installed:

[WotC] MGSV: Marines BDU Pack
[WotC] Military Camouflage Patterns
[WOTC] More Clothes Options (and other stuffs)
[WOTC] Alternative Prop Positions
[WotC] BobBricks' Facepaint Pack
[WotC] CoD4: MWR SAS Uniforms
[WOTC] MW Armour Pack
[WOTC] GrimStyle Armor
Arms and Shoulders
Eldritch Facepaints v1.2 - WOTC compatible
Eyepatch Right - WotC
Hats by Roca

[WOTC] Advent Flashlights is also pretty cool as an environmental mod for night levels, and I love [WotC] Resistance Firearms - Main Module (with associated packages obviously) for the real world weapons it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

X2modlauncher on GitHub should find it

Thanks! Didin't think to search on github