Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Larryb posted:

If he is I wonder if Frank Oz will voice him again (the man is almost 80 at this point after all)

Frank Oz is now old enough to play Yoda in person instead of through a puppet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I did like the one high republic book that ended with the padewan girl walking away from the order because she was gay for her pink gf

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

stev posted:

Frank Oz is now old enough to play Yoda in person instead of through a puppet.

:lol:

There's also Tom Kane but he's apparently retired. He did the voices in the animated shows.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I can think of another voice actor they can use

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just the people behind this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=493ljyoox6o

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Donald Glover’s Lando series is now a movie

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/donald-glover-star-wars-series-161352019.html

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If this ever actually happens it'll probably be a full decade between Glover's first Lando appearance and his second. :(

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Donald-Glover-Good.gif

I think that'll be a much better format.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Imperial checkpoint guard: And what is your clan?
Lando: No clan
Imperial Checkpoint guard: Then your place of origin!
Lando: I'm from Calrissia
Imperial checkpoint guard: Very well! (Stamps paper), the Land O Calrissians

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Imperial checkpoint guard: And what is your clan?
Lando: No clan
Imperial Checkpoint guard: Then your place of origin!
Lando: I'm from Calrissia
Imperial checkpoint guard: Very well! (Stamps paper), the Land O Calrissians

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It works every time

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtytYWhg2mc

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Well that looks amazing.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

thrawn527 posted:

Well that looks amazing.

:hai:

That said, I will continue to hope that Manny Jacinto’s is just Jason Mendoza in Star Wars. He can still yell “Bortles” while setting stuff on fire, it sounds like something from Star Wars anyway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As I expected, it’s mostly the same as the leaked Comic Con trailer from a while back but it looks interesting at least (aside from a few episodes of Clone Wars I don’t think Star Wars has ever really done a mystery story in this capacity)

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Closest thing might be the Trail of Shadows High Republic comics:

https://www.marvel.com/comics/series/32960/star_wars_the_high_republic_-_trail_of_shadows_2021_-_2022

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Andor just really ruined other Star Wars for me. There have been so many misses that that trailer just looks like the standard slop they've been serving the past few years.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, that did nothing for me. It seemed about on par visually with Obi Wan. Who had a good trailer/teaser.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I can't say anything in there excited me. I'll watch anything that has a bunch of space ships and weird little alien guys in it because I'm a sucker, but that didn't really look more compelling than an episode of Ahsoka.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I'll keep my eye out for it and wait to see what people say. The trailer did feel kinda underwhelming.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.starwars.com/news/leslye-headland-interview

quote:

Beyond the other film influences, Headland has infused her love of the original films, current books, and Legends lore into the story. “There were certain things that I really wanted to do. You'll see a half Theelin, half human Jedi, Jecki, played by Dafne Keen, which was always a dream of mine,” Headland says. She first fell in love with the species when Rystáll Sant joined the Max Rebo Band in the Special Edition of Return of the Jedi. “There's also some EU lore that I decided to put in because I thought it was so cool and no one told me I couldn't,” she adds with a laugh. The series will introduce a Zygerrian Jedi and canonize one species that’s yet to be seen, Headland reveals. “There are a couple of really big EU ideas that are utilized both early on in the series and later in the series,” she hints.

Rystáll Sant:

Gonna be cool having more aliens on screen, and with more variety beyond "brown & skrunkgly"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Soon all of Legends will be brought in including all the memes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Like a lot of Star Wars stuff now, the moment the lightsabers show up I find my interest waning. My 8-year-old self would be disgusted with me.

Stuff like using the Force to block attacks or create distance from an opponent I thought was really neat, and far more interesting in that trailer. Ezra did something similar in Ahsoka, forgoing the return of his lightsaber when offered to continue to use that fighting technique, and I really liked that... and then like an episode later he makes a new lightsaber and just uses that to fight instead :sigh:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So many lightsabers. All of them bad CGI.

But lightsaber merch is the gravy train so that's all we're going to get.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Do they not use the standard lightsaber prop anymore or something?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Vintersorg posted:

Soon all of Legends will be brought in including all the memes.

If they give me Wraith Squadron, it will all be worth it.

Of course, to get to the Wraiths, we need the Rogue Squadron stuff, so bring on Corran Horn’s story of hooking up with a Selonian.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, that did nothing for me. It seemed about on par visually with Obi Wan. Who had a good trailer/teaser.

FWIW this had a lot of physical outdoor sets built. Its production in both scripting and construction seems to have been more in line with Andor than Obi-wan.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah this seems like outside of including Lightsabers the tone it's going for is more Andor than Mando or Boba.

It largely doesn't matter, since it just comes down to the writing and execution of which we have seen very little of outside of out of context lines.

It probably won't be Andor, because Andor is up there for like best Star Wars thing ever created?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I trust the creative team behind this (its a real creative team, not some random they pulled off the up and coming list) - and the location shots look great especially the aliens. That one alien slurping noodles :allears:

I am currently at .75 Andors of excitement for Acolyte. Creative team + cast is great, lets see if their writing is actual writing. (comparatively im at 2.3 Andors of excitement for Andor S2)

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Setting it at height of the old Republic is what interests me as I wanna see it without the looming threat of the Empire. Similar to how I liked KOTOR for being set so far in the past it felt fresh.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That trailer was pretty good, and from what they've said about the premise it's more of a mystery story, which sounds a lot better than the aimless adventures of Obi Wan and Ahsoka. Also, since it's in the past, they probably won't get bogged down in references to the movies (they still will, somehow).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, at the most Yoda will probably make an appearance or two since he was around back then (though as mentioned he might need a new VA at this point since Frank Oz isn’t much younger than JEJ and Tom Kane apparently retired from voice acting)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 19, 2024

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I guess the main issue I have with this is I imagine a lack of tension from any scene where our girl meets a Jedi and busts out the sabre because they (along with anyone else present) have to die immediately before they can blab. The Jedi spend a thousand years thinking the Sith are gone so it's gotta be a murderfest where she's just disappearing corpse after corpse whenever anyone gets too close to realising.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Interesting, Abigail Thorne (youtube philospher/personality/actress) is in the acolyte

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is that the same person as Lindsay Ellis or Jenna something or Contrapoints

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is that the same person as Lindsay Ellis or Jenna something or Contrapoints

Yes she is all of those people and more (Lindsay Ellis/Contrapoints adjacent youtuber)

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Jerkface posted:

Interesting, Abigail Thorne (youtube philospher/personality/actress) is in the acolyte

sorry to hear that

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Admiral Bosch posted:

sorry to hear that

Especially because Star Wars Fans can't handle women and black people being in the space wizard childrens show, loving imagine the roofs that are about to be hit when they see a trans person on the TVs :haw:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Larryb posted:

Yeah, at the most Yoda will probably make an appearance or two since he was around back then (though as mentioned he might need a new VA at this point since Frank Oz isn’t much younger than JEJ and Tom Kane apparently retired from voice acting)

Here's hoping young(er) Yoda inexplicably is like Brock Samson size. Yoda built like a brick shithouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It doesn't look as "different" of a world as I was kind of hoping for. It was probably the wrong thing to hope for, but I was hoping it would scratch the itch of the Tales of the Jedi comics that dealt with more desolate early civilization type worlds. I haven't touched any old republic stuff yet.