Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Anniversary posted:

Has anyone ever heard one where George Soros crashed the British pound and has led currency destabilizing revolutions around the world for profit and is now (of course) doing that in the us? Because I just heard that and wow was it... Bizarre.

George Soros, at this juncture, literally doesn't need to do poo poo to cause currency fluctuations in his favor. When he takes major action in currency speculation, unless it's clearly and unequivocally dumb, enough other actors in the market go "oh poo poo, he must know something we don't", and create a self-fulfilling prophecy; basically, he's worth five to ten times as much as his considerable personal stakes as a market mover.

He played a role in more than one currency crash in that sense, but it's a pretty stupid conspiracy theory, because he doesn't need the help of a conspiracy to keep making ridiculous amounts of money in the currency markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

gatesealer posted:

At that point I muted him.

You should unmute him so you can send him this:

That picture cracks me up everytime.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well now I don't know what to believe.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Sublimer posted:

You should unmute him so you can send him this:

That picture cracks me up everytime.

That is amazing :allears:. It looks so real. He clearly must not be a U.S. citizen.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

gatesealer posted:

oh it got worse. Much, much worse.

At that point I muted him.

Ask him about his relationship with his father.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Another gem from one of my close friends:

quote:

:nws:Not safe for mind:nws:

Jiu Jitsu Professor Daryell Dickson Menezes Xavier beat up and raped his 1 year 8 months old step son in Taguatinga, suburb of Brasilia. He turned himself in, with his lawyer, and was held for a 30 day

Daryell was raped by about 20 prisoners. He had injuries all over the body, the most serious ones in the anal region. Insatisfied, and still furious about the crime committed by the professor, the prisoners tore apart the stitches that he received and raped him again. The blood stains on the rear of the short of the young man are proof of how much he suffered.

And I say GOOD for him.

Why even attempt to be civil and put ourselves on a higher moral standard than a literal baby rapist when it's so much easier to be on their level by acting on primeval desires for bloodshed and retribution?

Friendly reminder: This is what is seen as Justice in America. THIS IS WHAT JUSTICE IS IN AMERICA. :stonk:

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

staticman posted:

Why even attempt to be civil and put ourselves on a higher moral standard than a literal baby rapist when it's so much easier to be on their level by acting on primeval desires for bloodshed and retribution?

Friendly reminder: This is what is seen as Justice in America. THIS IS WHAT JUSTICE IS IN AMERICA. :stonk:

He clearly deserved it. It's the same reason I don't give money to those bums on the street corners. They must have done something bad to end up like that so why should I help them :smuggo:.

Seriously though, I used to think like this (the whole mentality for me was "eye for an eye" and then I figured out what that actually meant) and looking back I am horrified I ever thought this was ok. For some reason it didn't connect with me that they are still people and I was condoning horrible things happening to a person.

gatesealer fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 28, 2014

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

staticman posted:

..how the gently caress did a "professor" of Jui Jitsu get beaten up in prison?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Fulchrum posted:

Because he was a lieberal (you can tell because he's an elitist professor and noted atheist with the ACLU) and you know how weak and pathetic they are :smug:

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

staticman posted:

Jiu Jitsu Professor Daryell Dickson Menezes Xavier beat up and raped his 1 year 8 months old step son in Taguatinga, suburb of Brasilia. He turned himself in, with his lawyer, and was held for a 30 day

Daryell was raped by about 20 prisoners. He had injuries all over the body, the most serious ones in the anal region. Insatisfied, and still furious about the crime committed by the professor, the prisoners tore apart the stitches that he received and raped him again. The blood stains on the rear of the short of the young man are proof of how much he suffered.

And I say GOOD for him.

Wait, these guys?

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Fulchrum posted:

"Professor" is just Portuguese for "teacher", so it's used in jiujitsu circles the same way "Sensei" is used in Japanese martial arts. Jiujitsu is almost entirely focussed on a one-on-one fight, and is useless against more than two people. Any martial art is useless against 20 people.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

generatrix posted:

"Professor" is just Portuguese for "teacher", so it's used in jiujitsu circles the same way "Sensei" is used in Japanese martial arts. Jiujitsu is almost entirely focussed on a one-on-one fight, and is useless against more than two people. Any martial art is useless against 20 people.

All but the Wu-Tang style.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
And whatever the hell it is Jackie Chan does.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

"You know that law that just went into effect? Well, its to blame for all the bad things that have happened over more than half a decade"
This one is new to me. Does anyone have more information or a good rebuttal?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tibeerius posted:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Tibeerius posted:

Certainly nothing happened in the six years between the first number and the mandate that would've increased the number of uninsured.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Tibeerius posted:

The rebuttal is actually hidden in their argument, because they're fudging numbers.

The number of people without insurance increased during the recession in 2008-2010, from 44M to 50M. PPACA was passed in 2010, and it started dropping, and held at 48M in 2012.

It's literally blaming ObamaCare for the increase in uninsured for two years before it was passed, and refusing to credit it with anything for the two years after it passed, while ignoring that that the bulk of the law didn't go into effect until 2014.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/17/census-uninsured-2012_n_3941339.html

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

One of the prevailing themes of right wing economic messaging is that even the threat of unions, minimum wage increases, etc freaks out the job creators who then instantaneously move all their factories and jobs to China.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

We need an emote for "sever".

quote:

He clearly deserved it. It's the same reason I don't give money to those bums on the street corners. They must have done something bad to end up like that so why should I help them :smuggo:

Seriously though, I used to think like this (the whole mentality for me was "eye for an eye" and then I figured out what that actually meant) and looking back I am horrified I ever thought this was ok. For some reason it didn't connect with me that they are still people and I was condoning horrible things happening to a person.

It's difficult to talk with people who talk/think like this. I used to have some "eye for an eye" mentality as well, but I grew out of it. Worst example of it I found was a BBC Horizon episode about execution, I think it was "How to kill a human". The host basically came to the conclusion that the most humane way to kill someone was via asphyxiation with Nitrogen or something. When he presented that to some US Governor (From the south if I recall) he nixed the idea. Previously in the episode he defended capital punishment as a means of deterrence, and that it wasn't just retribution. But when presented with the painless and easy death via asphyxiation he says something along the lines of "how do you, or the family of the victim, get any satisfaction out of the guy just falling asleep?", basically admitting that the whole thing (in his mind) was about revenge.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Re: CRA. Didn't commercial property shady lending habits mirror housing? That alone should tell anyone blaming the CRA to shut up.

Radish posted:

One of the prevailing themes of right wing economic messaging is that even the threat of unions, minimum wage increases, etc freaks out the job creators who then instantaneously move all their factories and jobs to China.

Hah, they already did.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Crain posted:

We need an emote for "sever".

:byewhore: works pretty well.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Crain posted:

It's difficult to talk with people who talk/think like this. I used to have some "eye for an eye" mentality as well, but I grew out of it. Worst example of it I found was a BBC Horizon episode about execution, I think it was "How to kill a human". The host basically came to the conclusion that the most humane way to kill someone was via asphyxiation with Nitrogen or something. When he presented that to some US Governor (From the south if I recall) he nixed the idea. Previously in the episode he defended capital punishment as a means of deterrence, and that it wasn't just retribution. But when presented with the painless and easy death via asphyxiation he says something along the lines of "how do you, or the family of the victim, get any satisfaction out of the guy just falling asleep?", basically admitting that the whole thing (in his mind) was about revenge.

Watching that show with others is a good way to discover closeted monsters in your social circles. Yeah, an exit bag with nitrogen/helium and an accepting or tranquilized victim is the most humane way to kill someone. But half of America is stuck on the fence of the old and new testaments, with both feet dipped in the old.

You'd think a Christian would find greater satisfaction in "killing" the criminal through therapy and restorative justice, literally changing the nature of a soul, instead of harming some mortal husk which was used to do evil.

Keep probing into it, and they may eventually concede that capital punishment is flawed due to potential innocent victims. Keep pushing past that, and they admit they literally can't imagine anyone they care about ("real" people) at risk of execution. The way to that point is paved with "we can cut the red tape to lower costs" when presented with the greater expenses of executions, and "yeah, maybe prison shouldn't be so cruel and rapey if we actually want to rehabilitate" when shown recidivism rates compared to other countries, etc. It's one of the easiest paths to losing respect for someone.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Somehow my work email got signed up for a "Patriot's Newsletter" and I can't bring myself to unsubscribe because it's amazing to watch their torturous logic. Also, I got a headline "OBAMA IS DESTORYING AMERICA," which proses a real problem! :haw:

Anyway, here's the whopper in today's dispatch:

quote:

I just came across this old assignment from when I was 9 years old. I was assigned to answer 'What the Constitution Means to Me'. Here is what I wrote:

"What the Constitution means to me": by Gabe (in my own 4th grade spelling, I've improved)

It means my life, country and my happiness. If we didn't have the constitution we would be like Cuba. and if you don't know about Cuba at let me tell you a little about it. Once Cuba was butiful just like the U.S.A. then some bad people took over, Just like my moms friend Nina Pellegrini said: (she lived in Cuba)"Every little... thing was a pebble, the people ignored those little pebbles and those little pebbles became stones and those stones became boulders And soon the people couldn't move at all, they are so controlled!" And I don't want that to happen to are country! Even our constitution is being chiped away by the government! We must stand gaurd!
Yes, adorable 9 year olds often refer to their parent's friends by their full first-and-last names while spelling beautiful and guard wrong. This is a thing that has ever happened.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

sweart gliwere posted:

Watching that show with others is a good way to discover closeted monsters in your social circles. Yeah, an exit bag with nitrogen/helium and an accepting or tranquilized victim is the most humane way to kill someone. But half of America is stuck on the fence of the old and new testaments, with both feet dipped in the old.

They're stuck at Tyburn hanging 8-year-olds.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Two people on my FB shared this(it's actually a copy/paste of a Daily Mail article) :allears:
http://www.100percentfedup.com/news/1327-damning-report-us-knowingly-helped-get-500-million-in-weapons-to-al-qaeda-militias-in-benghazi

basically because the US supportered the rebels in Libya and allowed weapons to go to them, and Benghazi happened 2 years later, Obama ergo directly armed Al-Queda. Also Gaddafi was alright because he was marginalized and was totally gonna step down until Obama ruined it and directed helped the people who directly attacked Benghazi.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Tharizdun posted:

Somehow my work email got signed up for a "Patriot's Newsletter" and I can't bring myself to unsubscribe because it's amazing to watch their torturous logic. Also, I got a headline "OBAMA IS DESTORYING AMERICA," which proses a real problem! :haw:

Yes, adorable 9 year olds often refer to their parent's friends by their full first-and-last names while spelling beautiful and guard wrong. This is a thing that has ever happened.

Pshh look at this kid and apparently adult with no concept of geology. Pebbles don't turn into boulders, that's not how weathering works.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Tharizdun posted:

I bet all those non-American Constitution-having countries must hate being like Cuba then. Enjoy your communism and cigars, Canada!

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Some racist gently caress my dad went to high school with posted:

[Cliven Bundy's]comment is correct..would you prefer to live on govt programs in packed housing full of drug dealers, gang bangers shooting everyone, young girls aborting babies, no jobs or future.. or picking cotton living on a plant station as a slave. Its not a racist comment on the African American..it is a comparison of how bad being hooked on govt aid is to being held as a slave labor on a plantation. Everyone should be able to achieve the American dream of providing a quality of life living in freedom not being restricted by dependence on govt handouts and programs trapping them in a horrific lifestyle with no hope of breaking free.
[Cliven Bundy's] comment never glorified or justified slavery or having to work on a plantation as a slave. He makes a comparison that living in a ghetto where murder, drug abuse, rape, and the abortion are the way of life with no hope of breaking the chains of govt dependency has left many Blacks in our society any better off. [Me]...have you ever been able to put any thoughts in your mind together without profanity or do they only come out when you attempt to write them down. [Dad]...the comparison was of plantation life as a slave to today's ghetto lifestyle..I would agree the Irish indentured servant or debt prisoners working for companies could also have been applicable. The point is govt dependency programs are failing in helping people out of poverty lifestyles and in fact trap them in not achieving freedom by locking economic chains to allow them to reach their given potential

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Unlike slavery which of course allowed them to reach their full potential in bushels of cotton picked, number of beatings endured, number of children sold for a white man's profit, etc

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Ahh yes, Slavery: well known for allowing everyone to "achieve the American dream of providing a quality of life living in freedom"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Economic chains as opposed to actual chains.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
poo poo like that is why I wish we were all forced to read WPA Slave Narratives in school. They fit both local and national history, and they have flavor often lacking in textbooks. I remember talking with teachers as a kid about Thomas Jefferson's "love affair" with Hemmings, and there was no implication from any source that loving a slave is rape. Blatant whitewashing like that is what enables a lifetime wasted trying to make the world worse.

Luckily, the WPA narratives are free as eBooks, so curiosity is all it takes to get started. Another reason I wish Obama had done anything to push for creation of a modern WPA.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Phone posted:

Economic chains as opposed to actual chains.

I hear this poo poo a lot, about how welfare is the thing that's REALLY keeping the black community down. Whenever I ask why someone thinks this, they never have an answer that doesn't amount to "because it's just true, okay?!"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

AShamefulDisplay posted:

I hear this poo poo a lot, about how welfare is the thing that's REALLY keeping the black community down. Whenever I ask why someone thinks this, they never have an answer that doesn't amount to "because it's just true, okay?!"

Usually they're displacing their actual root disdain for blacks into a larger, more abstract disdain for government which serves as a symbol for multiple things that anger them about modern society in one convenient package. This is why they have such insane ideas about what government is and what it does.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Because if you are not in danger of starving to death there's no motivation to have a life that's better than chattel slavery!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
But the chickens, the garden.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Mornacale posted:

Because if you are not in danger of starving to death there's no motivation to have a life that's better than chattel slavery!

Unless you are exceptionally wealthy, at which point taking anything away from you kills your motivation to excel and produce wealth.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Re: CRA. Didn't commercial property shady lending habits mirror housing? That alone should tell anyone blaming the CRA to shut up.

They'll blame minority business loans.

Xombie posted:

The rebuttal is actually hidden in their argument, because they're fudging numbers.

The number of people without insurance increased during the recession in 2008-2010, from 44M to 50M. PPACA was passed in 2010, and it started dropping, and held at 48M in 2012.

It's literally blaming ObamaCare for the increase in uninsured for two years before it was passed, and refusing to credit it with anything for the two years after it passed, while ignoring that that the bulk of the law didn't go into effect until 2014.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/17/census-uninsured-2012_n_3941339.html

Also there was a census in 2010.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

From Facebook, followed by comments of "so true!". At least this one wasn't from a friend of mine, just an acquaintance of my family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dirty Job posted:

From Facebook, followed by comments of "so true!". At least this one wasn't from a friend of mine, just an acquaintance of my family.

Because one is a trust fund with funding locked to income generated by interest from borrowing against the fund and from tax levied against the pay checks of those who will come to be paid from the fund. This means the fund has a documentable life span based on its income and expenses. Projected expenses are currently set to increase. Meanwhile income is in trouble due to a series of raids on the fund by past administrations and poor performing investments during the financial crisis that have left the fund lower than it should be. Aside from that the SS fund is only set to have expense overtake in the next 30~40 years at which point the deficit will be filled by federal funding.

The other is a part of a yearly (ideally) operating budget in which funds are allocated based on calculated need and funded by taxes which the government is tasked with collecting to in order to run that budget. As such there is no set fund that can "run out".

*ahem* Sorry, I mean: Because the negros won't learn to pick cotton. :smuggo: