Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

McGavin posted:

Have a replay of the most fun game I've had in a long time.

The enemy team on my flank were spaced out just enough that they were unable to cover each other, so winning was as easy as right clicking the closest tank and then holding left click as I drove straight at it.

The entire enemy team was destroyed in 4:30 without a single loss.

Highlights include the 260 on my team flipping a Cent 7/1 and me bouncing a shot from a T30.

I watched this and it's pretty much as you described (aside from the 260 flipping the Cent all the way around,) although I don't know if you have stats enabled because your team had a huge advantage to begin with. The fact that there was such a team imbalance doesn't make the end result that surprising, but good game nevertheless.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is probably one of the better examples I've seen of how one lovely player can lose a game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIqKHSHBz38

If that T-10 at the beginning had contributed 1-2 damaging shots, the 907 would've had 2-3 rounds left over.

Ahahaha, holy gently caress. :stare: When 11 kills and 11.5k damage isn't enough to carry a match.... :suicide:

Also, good on the 907 driver for not carrying any HE, which didn't make a difference in this round, but still....

Hellsau posted:

That motherfucker deserves that loss. He EASILY could have gathered enough speed to kill a 43 HP AT-15 with a ram. Accepting one less kill and a draw from timeout should actually just result in that player having their account deleted and maybe a short prison sentence.

Who is so afraid of their survival rate being damaged that they avoid the sick ram kill? Hell they could have asked their team, "Hey guys, I weigh 907 tons and they weigh 15 tons, right? Here I go!" and then gone for the ram.

e: oh also they could have ignored the clearly afk SU-14-2 and had an extra shell for finishing the AT-15, and potentially won by dodging 4-5 artillery shots on cap if the 14-2 came back

The AT15 outweighs the 907 by a good ~25 tons or so. It's not even close, like 36 to 60, not including equipment. I'm not sure the 907 could've gotten far enough away to gather enough momentum to actually ram the AT15 to death without letting it turn all the way around to shoot him, and I wouldn't be surprised if the resulting ram killed the 907 and not the AT15.

Even still, he got lucky with the fire (which still wasn't enough) and I don't think that shooting the arty was a bad decision per se. We can't tell what mods the player was using and if he knew the AT15 was full HP, but regardless, he didn't have enough ammo to finish it off even without spending one shell on the arty, barring the lucky but unpredictable fire. In the end though, the dude had already done ~11k damage, it's not his fault NO ONE else on his team could shoot the AT15.

Also, while the arty was looking down, he wasn't necessarily AFK; he could've been typing something, and he didn't react as he never spotted the 907 (6th sense didn't go off.) If he was left alive, a single splash could've finished off the 907, so ultimately shooting him was a sound decision. Also, in any case, gently caress arty and everyone who plays it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

McGavin posted:

It isn't. It's got a v-shaped hull with spaced armour like that invincible new tier 9 Soviet heavy had on the test server.

the "v" is one of the most balanced letters, when you consider gravity

Atomizer posted:

Also, while the arty was looking down, he wasn't necessarily AFK; he could've been typing something, and he didn't react as he never spotted the 907 (6th sense didn't go off.) If he was left alive, a single splash could've finished off the 907, so ultimately shooting him was a sound decision. Also, in any case, gently caress arty and everyone who plays it.

Look where the artillery was - they jumped off out of that gap on the hill and somehow didn't die hitting the small ledge below it, and they aren't even peeking down far enough to be able to shotgun anything. With where the SU-14-2 is positioned, they literally cannot damage any enemy tanks because of a lack of gun depression and being pointed towards the southern edge of the map. I instantly assumed they just said "gently caress my team you're all noobs" and tried suiciding, failed, and exited the match. At full HP they're not even oneshotable to a 907 so they could have gotten a shotgun by just roaming around the map.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 3, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Look where the artillery was - they jumped off out of that gap on the hill and somehow didn't die hitting the small ledge below it, and they aren't even peeking down far enough to be able to shotgun anything. With where the SU-14-2 is positioned, they literally cannot damage any enemy tanks because of a lack of gun depression and being pointed towards the southern edge of the map. I instantly assumed they just said "gently caress my team you're all noobs" and tried suiciding, failed, and exited the match. At full HP they're not even oneshotable to a 907 so they could have gotten a shotgun by just roaming around the map.

Oh I agree, and in the end it doesn't even matter what the SU's status or motivations were; in hindsight we know how it all played out and could've made different decisions (or, 1/5 of his 0-damage teammates could've done something helpful.) However, I don't even think that game was winnable had he not shot the arty: say he had one extra shell and finished off the AT15. Then he's left on the West side of the map with no ammo and <3 minutes left. That's a slow-cap Encounter map and he neither has enough time to cap it out nor does he have the ability to shoot that arty, AFK or not. It's a draw regardless.

He could've tried to get to the top of the ramp to goomba the arty, but even if he had enough time, it's risky enough where it's probably not worth it. The best-case result is that he lands perfectly and kills both himself and the arty, still resulting in a draw. If he misjudges the jump, he kills himself and turns a 11-kill 11.5k-damage effort into a loss, handing the win over to a ragequitting arty.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Atomizer posted:

Oh I agree, and in the end it doesn't even matter what the SU's status or motivations were; in hindsight we know how it all played out and could've made different decisions (or, 1/5 of his 0-damage teammates could've done something helpful.) However, I don't even think that game was winnable had he not shot the arty: say he had one extra shell and finished off the AT15. Then he's left on the West side of the map with no ammo and <3 minutes left. That's a slow-cap Encounter map and he neither has enough time to cap it out nor does he have the ability to shoot that arty, AFK or not. It's a draw regardless.

He could've tried to get to the top of the ramp to goomba the arty, but even if he had enough time, it's risky enough where it's probably not worth it. The best-case result is that he lands perfectly and kills both himself and the arty, still resulting in a draw. If he misjudges the jump, he kills himself and turns a 11-kill 11.5k-damage effort into a loss, handing the win over to a ragequitting arty.

I thought if a player exits the game they die 1 second before the match ends now? So if someone is truly afk you don't have to kill them to win anymore.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Atomizer posted:

Then he's left on the West side of the map with no ammo and <3 minutes left. That's a slow-cap Encounter map and he neither has enough time to cap it out nor does he have the ability to shoot that arty, AFK or not. It's a draw regardless.

There's 6 minutes 50 seconds left when he takes the shot at the SU-14-2 and is left 1v1 against the AT-15.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also, the AT-15 is ~60 tons to the 907's ~37-38. Ramming would've ended badly.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I have not played in months.

I see they are going to sell the Defender at the end of the month.

I am going to buy it.

Does this make me a piece of poo poo?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Look if you get enough speed, the weight doesn't matter. The dinosaurs learned that lesson.

Mesadoram posted:

I am going to buy it.

Only to yourself.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Mesadoram posted:

I am going to buy it.

dont worry im buying it too and i dont know the last time i played aside from 2 games tonight

heck i might even buy the suprise tank if it turns out to be an interesting tank

oh and is it just me being rusty or does the controls for turning while reversing feel wonky?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

I thought if a player exits the game they die 1 second before the match ends now? So if someone is truly afk you don't have to kill them to win anymore.

I'm not 100% sure about this. Even if this was the case, it virtually never occurs that you've run out of ammo but the last enemy alive is AFK so they're going to die anyway and you win instead of drawing.

Hellsau posted:

There's 6 minutes 50 seconds left when he takes the shot at the SU-14-2 and is left 1v1 against the AT-15.

That's irrelevant; look at how much time is left, or would be left, if he'd finished off the AT15. It's less than the amount of time it'd take to cap.

He stops, aims, fires at the SU14, then starts moving again all in the span of ~5 seconds. He spots the AT15 at ~3:30 on the clock (~11:30 video time) which is also when it starts capping, and the countdown shows >4:00 to capfast. Even if he hadn't fired at the SU14 he wouldn't have had nearly enough time to kill the AT15 (which again, would've required 4 shells AND the fire) and capfast while ignoring the arty.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I already mentioned this but yeah.

Agrajag posted:

dont worry im buying it too and i dont know the last time i played aside from 2 games tonight

heck i might even buy the suprise tank if it turns out to be an interesting tank

Oh you poor, sad soul. You're just coming back from tanks right now?!? If you'd started playing again like two months earlier you could've gotten a Type 59, and I'm not even joking:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689818&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=983#post479513023

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Atomizer posted:

Oh you poor, sad soul. You're just coming back from tanks right now?!? If you'd started playing again like two months earlier you could've gotten a Type 59, and I'm not even joking:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689818&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=983#post479513023

Lol, I don't do gambling.

If I'm paying money for something I'm buying exactly what I want or I'm not buying

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Atomizer posted:

That's irrelevant; look at how much time is left, or would be left, if he'd finished off the AT15. It's less than the amount of time it'd take to cap.

He stops, aims, fires at the SU14, then starts moving again all in the span of ~5 seconds. He spots the AT15 at ~3:30 on the clock (~11:30 video time) which is also when it starts capping, and the countdown shows >4:00 to capfast. Even if he hadn't fired at the SU14 he wouldn't have had nearly enough time to kill the AT15 (which again, would've required 4 shells AND the fire) and capfast while ignoring the arty.

I mean if the 907 actually wanted to win, they save the shot on the arti and go straight to cap. They can use the little building in the middle of cap as protection while spotting north and south, and when they find where the AT-15 is (possibly outspotting them) they draw the AT-15 onto cap, skirt around it, fire four shots (and getting a lucky fire to kill) and then cap out.

When you have 7 minutes left and 3 shots left against an AT-15 it is totally insane to do anything other than go straight to cap there. A draw is literally exactly the same as a loss. There is NO incentive for the 907 to play for a draw in that situation - maybe the AT-15 is some dipshit "sniper" on the hill and had just then started going towards cap at 7 minutes and you can steal a free cap win?

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

why buy a defender, if you want to play tier 10 just grind a IS-7 or something

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fat Jesus posted:

why buy a defender, if you want to play tier 10 just grind a IS-7 or something

Because WG hasn't decided to allow people to spend tons of money to 'anoint' their T10s as honorary premiums yet.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Agrajag posted:

Lol, I don't do gambling.

If I'm paying money for something I'm buying exactly what I want or I'm not buying

Well you could've gotten a Type 59 possibly, or you can be Type 59-less forever. Your choice. :shrug: (Also they buffed it recently.)

Hellsau posted:

I mean if the 907 actually wanted to win, they save the shot on the arti and go straight to cap. They can use the little building in the middle of cap as protection while spotting north and south, and when they find where the AT-15 is (possibly outspotting them) they draw the AT-15 onto cap, skirt around it, fire four shots (and getting a lucky fire to kill) and then cap out.

When you have 7 minutes left and 3 shots left against an AT-15 it is totally insane to do anything other than go straight to cap there. A draw is literally exactly the same as a loss. There is NO incentive for the 907 to play for a draw in that situation - maybe the AT-15 is some dipshit "sniper" on the hill and had just then started going towards cap at 7 minutes and you can steal a free cap win?

Well yeah, don't play for a loss, but keep in mind hindsight is 20/20. We know where everyone was now, but the dude was just trying to clear out the map. He couldn't afford to drive in front of the AT15, not knowing where it ran off too, nor could he have risked a splash from arty. So, he took out the arty when he had the chance and was one shot away from finishing the AT15. It's easy to say what he should've done, but as it stands he did far more than he should've had to and his team was of no help.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Did no one comment on one of their arties accidentally killing their teammate by missing the 907?

Also, he could have saved that match seven times over by actually conserving loving ammo towards the end when it was obvious that he would run out.

So many casual snapshot misses that could have been guaranteed pens

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

honestly any mistake the 907 is far overshadowed by not even trying for a sick ramkill

why would anyone play world of tanks except for sickjumps and even sicker ramkills?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hellsau posted:

honestly any mistake the 907 is far overshadowed by not even trying for a sick ramkill

why would anyone play world of tanks except for sickjumps and even sicker ramkills?

I bought the ELC even 90 and its literally the worst tank i've ever played at tier 8 but god drat does it do sick jumps.

But aside from that, absolutely love the 32 second reload after 660 average clip damage, the 17 second aim time and the terrible traverse speed.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Since quitting the church, I have an extra 60-something bucks at my disposal monthly, and it feels just wrong to commit all of it to savings/investment.

I'd feel much more secure using some of it to make a new, jump-oriented account like Hellsau, buy an Even 90 on it, and do nothing else outside of ramping off poo poo, and careening off some more poo poo towards my doom. gently caress my team.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Since quitting the church, I have an extra 60-something bucks at my disposal monthly, and it feels just wrong to commit all of it to savings/investment.

I'd feel much more secure using some of it to make a new, jump-oriented account like Hellsau, buy an Even 90 on it, and do nothing else outside of ramping off poo poo, and careening off some more poo poo towards my doom. gently caress my team.

You can also park next to the side of every heavy you face and have them unable to shoot you as you're so small.

Can anyone explain why I got a Arsonist award despite not setting anyone on fire or ammo racking them? I'm sure the game was bugged because I killed someone a few seconds after my last shot, but their damage stats screen only had a yellow fuel tank notification but I still got the award.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

You can also park next to the side of every heavy you face and have them unable to shoot you as you're so small.

Can anyone explain why I got a Arsonist award despite not setting anyone on fire or ammo racking them? I'm sure the game was bugged because I killed someone a few seconds after my last shot, but their damage stats screen only had a yellow fuel tank notification but I still got the award.

Could have had an engine hit that did not damage the module but still hit the 10-20% chance for an engine fire.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hellsau posted:

Could have had an engine hit that did not damage the module but still hit the 10-20% chance for an engine fire.

The guy I killed only had the orange fuel tank warning. Does engine damage show up in post battle stats? Either way it was funny as hell and I really enjoyed that game. I may upload it as a perfect example of how 2 players with decent crews can just roll a mid tier game.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Found a new and exciting spot to get stuck.

Game was going well, too :(

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ul7TYZC0L0

I went from angry at loving up a pancake to laughing so hard at this.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

serious gaylord posted:

I bought the ELC even 90 and its literally the worst tank i've ever played at tier 8 but god drat does it do sick jumps.

But aside from that, absolutely love the 32 second reload after 660 average clip damage, the 17 second aim time and the terrible traverse speed.
Full camo, camo crew, sit in bush and be invisible for the entire loving game. It's not a bad tank but its very niche.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Because WG hasn't decided to allow people to spend tons of money to 'anoint' their T10s as honorary premiums yet.

Based on WoWs, you do not want them to do that. You think the MM is bad now? WoWs doesn't even have this bullshit 3/5/8 preferred mm and it ends up being nothing but T10s for T8s. Also, imagine that all the shitters only play their T10s because no matter how bad they do, they never lose money.

HFX fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 4, 2018

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

RanKizama posted:

Full camo, camo crew, sit in bush and be invisible for the entire loving game. It's not a bad tank but its very niche.

I've had a lot of success as an active spotter with it tbh. Its annoyingly small so as long as I keep it moving and away from soft ground its nimble enough to dodge most fire. The gun however is by far the most annoying thing about it. poo poo at long range, poo poo at short range. Even with 100% snap shot and 100% smooth ride I can still derp a shot to the moon when I'm 5 m behind another tank.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

The guy I killed only had the orange fuel tank warning. Does engine damage show up in post battle stats? Either way it was funny as hell and I really enjoyed that game. I may upload it as a perfect example of how 2 players with decent crews can just roll a mid tier game.

It only shows up if you do sufficient damage to the engine, enough to turn it yellow on their screen. Even so, every time you hit the engine there is a small chance that the vehicle will burst into flames anyways regardless of if you actually do enough damage to turn it yellow/red.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
People are so angry that I'm bad at this game. That's part of the fun of playing now.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Just started this game, going for I guess medium soviet tanks? I dunno.

Anyway, is there a way to mute pings? Some dude started pinging behind me so I thought it was enemies. Turns out he just wanted to constantly ping the whole match drowning out the real pings.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Anyway, is there a way to mute pings? Some dude started pinging behind me so I thought it was enemies. Turns out he just wanted to constantly ping the whole match drowning out the real pings.

hold control to get a cursor, right click their name, click ignore them

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
There really should be a maximum amount of pings per minute.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Hellsau posted:

hold control to get a cursor, right click their name, click ignore them

Noice. Only happened that one match so far.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Its always some loving twat thats yolo'd then pings everyone all match for not dying with him.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

moolchaba posted:

People are so angry that I'm bad at this game. That's part of the fun of playing now.
And they are probably terrible at WoT anyway.

Secret Confessions of a Stat Badder - Yes I'm Back!

I just had to ~apply~ myself to get below 43%

I tend to blacklist them as this will not be the only bad thing about their play.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

moolchaba posted:

Are you actively trying to be bad, or are you just one of those people who play for fun?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

There really should be a maximum amount of pings per minute.

There's a "pings per second" limit in-game, and there are ping-spam-blocking mods if the in-game muting functions aren't enough.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I still don't like the Centurion I, but I think I'm starting to figure it out.

Ended up running a few undefeated rounds with these DHO4 guys as well. I typically have bad run-ins with the Dad's Hideout clans, but these guys were good people.

Edit: Yeah, it's coming along now.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 5, 2018

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Maybe kinda a dumb question here, but is just rushing mid the thing to do? I've been trying to be sneaky and flank around (light tank), but usually just get stomped because my team will lose the big brawl in the center.

Or sometimes win because they win or I just cap the enemy base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

when this happens before the match starts I say EVERYBODY SHOOT THAT GUY and then I shoot him when the timer goes and most times at least 1 other person will do the same. Team murdered a 42% Lowe once it was fun.