Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

Sorry I like guys/guyman to once and awhile die in my shooty man/manette game. I'm kind of old fashion that way.

If you wanted this you wouldn't main Torb in the first place so I don't see what the problem is here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you wanted this you wouldn't main Torb in the first place so I don't see what the problem is here

Torb does a gently caress ton of damage. Well when tanks aren't in the way... soooo never. (20% of the time? Eh who knows?). Tell me again how that's different than a Mcree or Soldier 76?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 29, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Please don't quote people on my ignore list.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I'm getting better with Tracer. It really clicked tonight. I had a couple enemy teams proclaiming their hatred for me in chat. During one game I kept picking on this Rein so bad that he just ran away every time we came up on each other. Apparently I scared him so bad that when he got nanoboosted during their last push he just threw up the shield and backed away when I popped up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Canemacar posted:

I'm getting better with Tracer. It really clicked tonight. I had a couple enemy teams proclaiming their hatred for me in chat. During one game I kept picking on this Rein so bad that he just ran away every time we came up on each other. Apparently I scared him so bad that when he got nanoboosted during their last push he just threw up the shield and backed away when I popped up.

He's just a homophobe.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Canemacar posted:

The advice earlier to blink sideways completely changed the way I play Tracer and it's amazing. I'm not even competitive level (21, I think?) but it just completely short-circuits the teams I'm playing against. They don't seem to have any idea what to do with a Tracer who blinks and isn't forward or backward of where she used to be. Blink sideways, rotate 90 degrees, and I can get a clip and a half into somebody before they figure out what's going on.

(Then there are the times when I overadjust and blink off the edge of the map. :sigh:)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Besesoth posted:

The advice earlier to blink sideways completely changed the way I play Tracer and it's amazing. I'm not even competitive level (21, I think?) but it just completely short-circuits the teams I'm playing against. They don't seem to have any idea what to do with a Tracer who blinks and isn't forward or backward of where she used to be. Blink sideways, rotate 90 degrees, and I can get a clip and a half into somebody before they figure out what's going on.

(Then there are the times when I overadjust and blink off the edge of the map. :sigh:)

I just wanted to come here and post that too. I'd never had any success with Tracer before that (or any other heroes, god I'm bad at this game), but the last few games I've been playing Tracer and having an absolute blast. Been having so much fun with her, and actually almost not sucking. Thanks, whoever posted the Tracer Effortpost! You've done me a good deed.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Torb does a gently caress ton of damage. Well when tanks aren't in the way... soooo never. (20% of the time? Eh who knows?). Tell me again how that's different than a Mcree or Soldier 76?
You can main Torb and own it, or you can be a little whiner and constantly complain about how lovely he is in the current meta. Not both. I don't think anyone really give a gently caress which you do, just pick one or shut the gently caress up. :toot:

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

He's just a homophobe.

Lol. It turns out that a Rein shield won't protect you from The Gay.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Asimo posted:

You can main Torb and own it, or you can be a little whiner and constantly complain about how lovely he is in the current meta. Not both. I don't think anyone really give a gently caress which you do, just pick one or shut the gently caress up. :toot:

I'm not complaining about how lovely Torb is in the meta. I'm complaining about how lovely the meta/tanks in general are. Besides people bitching about Torb isn't based off any meta, it's a constant.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Asimo posted:

You know, I have to say that the current Arcade Mode 6v6 Mystery has been excellent for me. Nobody can complain about what I pick and I get to find out what makes each hero at least decent. I got assigned Torbjorn, whom I'd dismissed as a frustrating character who wouldn't go well with my play style, and ended up having a blast just putting up turrets and harassing the hell out of people and tossing armor out, and it got me interested in figuring out how to make Tor good. I'm all about playing the character you like best, but I really recommend 6v6 Mystery just for getting into new heroes and seeing what makes them tick.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Torb is probably in the best position he's ever been in right now between his scrap regen and synergy with Symmetra shields.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Canemacar posted:

Torb is probably in the best position he's ever been in right now between his scrap regen and synergy with Symmetra shields.

100% agreed. If you fail a push into a Symmetra + Torbjorn you may as well kiss that round goodbye, because everyone suddenly has 150 more HP than you and you're at ult disadvantage.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Vermain posted:

100% agreed. If you fail a push into a Symmetra + Torbjorn you may as well kiss that round goodbye, because everyone suddenly has 150 more HP than you and you're at ult disadvantage.

That's the point that someone ought to bring out Zenyatta.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Besesoth posted:

You know, I have to say that the current Arcade Mode 6v6 Mystery has been excellent for me. Nobody can complain about what I pick and I get to find out what makes each hero at least decent. I got assigned Torbjorn, whom I'd dismissed as a frustrating character who wouldn't go well with my play style, and ended up having a blast just putting up turrets and harassing the hell out of people and tossing armor out, and it got me interested in figuring out how to make Tor good. I'm all about playing the character you like best, but I really recommend 6v6 Mystery just for getting into new heroes and seeing what makes them tick.
Mystery Hero's fun, but kind of too swingy for me depending on what composition teams wind up with. It's a good diversion after getting bored with QP/comp though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The best thing about Torb is that Blizzard has consistently refused to make him into the sedentary pile of rocket bait the TF engineer is. Slap that turret down in a corner with a view, whack it a few times with your hammer, then go do some god drat work.

Turns out his primary fire is a great way to get a feel for projectiles and it's insanely rewarding to splatter the enemy healer's brains all over a coffee shop before ventilating the gently caress out of a charging scientist, then reaching climax and shooting armor all over the place because swede dwarfs cum bits of Volvo chassis.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Did something break in mystery heroes? I just had a hanamura where the defense started with two Torbjorns, followed by a kings row where the defense started with three and then got a fourth. And then we got two Torbjorns on attack.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

flatluigi posted:

Did something break in mystery heroes? I just had a hanamura where the defense started with two Torbjorns, followed by a kings row where the defense started with three and then got a fourth. And then we got two Torbjorns on attack.

You're very clever, young Luigi. But it's Torbjorns all the way down.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

FAUXTON posted:

The best thing about Torb is that Blizzard has consistently refused to make him into the sedentary pile of rocket bait the TF engineer is. Slap that turret down in a corner with a view, whack it a few times with your hammer, then go do some god drat work.

Turns out his primary fire is a great way to get a feel for projectiles and it's insanely rewarding to splatter the enemy healer's brains all over a coffee shop before ventilating the gently caress out of a charging scientist, then reaching climax and shooting armor all over the place because swede dwarfs cum bits of Volvo chassis.
god bless you fauxton

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Macaluso posted:

I keep loving hooking people into me and then my gun has to reload. I am awful at managing that and I do it constantly. I bet the other team is relieved anytime I hook them and instead of shooting them, my gun pops open to get reloaded instead. Luckily he's still fun to play but dang

I do this all the them, but at least it's making me a better reloader on other characters too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I keep trying to reload on Rein and Dva

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Engineers sentry has high dps in a game with lower health characters, and very few ways to negate damage. He could be played aggressively just fine, I did.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is McCree just kind of boned on Attack for chokepoint maps like Hanamura? He can't flank around like Tracer or Genji, he's too fragile to wade in without a tank backing him up especially with his damage dropoff. I'm sure he does fine once you breach the initial defensive line, but before that it doesn't seem like he can't contribute much.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is McCree just kind of boned on Attack for chokepoint maps like Hanamura? He can't flank around like Tracer or Genji, he's too fragile to wade in without a tank backing him up especially with his damage dropoff. I'm sure he does fine once you breach the initial defensive line, but before that it doesn't seem like he can't contribute much.

He's got high alpha (iz write term i thinks) which allows him to get pick offs in between shields/defense matrix being up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ApplesandOranges posted:

So get a tank backing you up.

Alternatively play Soldier, who's more self-sufficient than McCree while currently also dealing better damage. :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ApplesandOranges posted:

Certain maps are less friendly to certain characters in parts, Hanamura is a notoriously lovely map. You can play McCree into point A but it'll require some coordination (like Catfish says having a tank to back you up helps) and for you to be quick on the trigger when various defenses go down. If you can break through and force things to go to point B his options open up more.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

When I hook people they often seem to end up too far away to melee. Is there a reason for this?

There is a trick to get the hooks closer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfe-xj7QXwo

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
How do you efficiently solo heal as Ana? Sit back and snipe? I hate how I never have height advantage with her so my teammates are never in view unless I'm right behind them or something. I like playing Ana but it's probably even more infuriating than playing Mercy.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Words about the Tracer/Mei matchup.

In a pure duel situation, Mei should only win this if she lands icicles. If the Mei is trying to freeze Tracer with M1, that is hilarious and bad and the Tracer should never lose that duel. If you are close to frozen, you blink away. If you don't have any blinks, then you overcommited. If you are fighting Mei+ her friends, you should probably disengage entirely.

The onus of clean shots is on Mei.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the oneshot thing is entirely why it's annoying to fight mei as tracer. it won't happen very often but when it does it's very frustrating since there's not a hell of a lot you could have done about it. mei and hanzo scare me more than things like soldier since at least I can react to a soldier with good aim

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm trying to play Roadhog because (outside Winston - who seems trash) he's the only tank I'm not at least passable at. I feel like I never kill people I've hooked. I don't see how I'm loving up? I usually do Hook -> Melee -> LMB. Is that wrong?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I'm trying to play Roadhog because (outside Winston - who seems trash) he's the only tank I'm not at least passable at. I feel like I never kill people I've hooked. I don't see how I'm loving up? I usually do Hook -> Melee -> LMB. Is that wrong?

LMB then Melee.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Hook -> lmb -> melee. Hold lmb as you're hooking to fire before they can react.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

If you can hit them with a RMB before the hook to soften them up, even better.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Shnooks posted:

How do you efficiently solo heal as Ana? Sit back and snipe? I hate how I never have height advantage with her so my teammates are never in view unless I'm right behind them or something. I like playing Ana but it's probably even more infuriating than playing Mercy.

Generally, you try to be in the midlines. You want to be able to hit as many of your teammates as possible with your grenade while still not exposing yourself. Don't scope in unless you have to.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Gloryhold It! posted:

Hook -> lmb -> melee. Hold lmb as you're hooking to fire before they can react.

Ah thanks folks. What does holding LMB do? Does this mean the fire will ping as soon as I finish hooking?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Ah thanks folks. What does holding LMB do? Does this mean the fire will ping as soon as I finish hooking?

Yes. You will fire instantly and do a pile of damage. Assuming your hook drops them in front of you and not slingshot them to your side or behind you.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Then that's exactly what I've been messing up. Thanks everyone.

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon
I just played as Zarya for the first time in about 2 months. (She used to be one my mains.) I think I've gotten better overall in the game, and after spending so much time as Symmetra and Mei I forgot how satisfying it is to rush in as a mutha fuggin TANK and get a team kill while all the firing on you might as well be gnat bites.

:slick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Also Winston is fine, but you're right not to pick him because the current meta has nothing for him to kill