Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Did she have the red flag divot?

The one on the outer edge of the eyebrow ridge where a ring used to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A cooky George Lucas trilogy would've been infinitely better for Star Wars, and been better than infinite supers men.

Also could have just let Star Wars die, I wouldn't have complained. The story was over.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

Did she have the red flag divot?

The one on the outer edge of the eyebrow ridge where a ring used to be

Nah, she did have a nose ring and a labret piercing though.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A cooky George Lucas trilogy would've been infinitely better for Star Wars, and been better than infinite supers men.

Also could have just let Star Wars die, I wouldn't have complained. The story was over.

Yeah, the prequels aren't good, but they are kind of barmy and singular and they clearly have some vision in a way blockbuster films just don't since probably about 2007.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zach Snyder's films all have a vision, an awfully bad one, but one none the less.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Disco Pope posted:

Darkplace, Look Around You, I'm Alan Partridge and The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer are the four that I'd recommend, although I'd argue that the later three are maybe too British for export?

Spaced is a weird one - it was nice to see nerds represented on screen in a way that felt honest, but nerds are too powerful now.

Maybe season 2 of Look Around you is a bit British, because it's based off a specific British show. But Season 1 has universal appeal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq04SazQlEk

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Gripweed posted:

Maybe season 2 of Look Around you is a bit British, because it's based off a specific British show. But Season 1 has universal appeal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq04SazQlEk

Yeah, maybe. Season 1 is specifically riffing on late 70s UK schools programming and Open University programmes though, so it's quite specific but maybe not *quite* as specific as "this is Tomorrow's World from 1982 but weird"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I think extremely boring low budget education videos are universal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2MgjPrSVX0

Gripweed has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Feb 4, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't know why we're recommending UK comedy shows, but A Bit of Fry and Laurie and Jeeves and Wooster were both excellent.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I quite liked The Mitchell and Webb Look

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Every British "comedy" is just. "Poor people drive like this, but rich people drive like this"

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gaius Marius posted:

Every British "comedy" is just. "Poor people drive like this, but rich people drive like this"

“And I, a middle class Brit, and am aghast and ashamed by both, and probably worse”

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I recommend Matt Berry's Snuff Box which has Matt Berry

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Opinion: Richard Ayoade was hilarious in Garth Marenghi's Darkplace because back then I didn't know he literally does the same thing in every role.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Have you seen his plans for a sequel trilogy?

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/george-lucas-episode-vii-episode-ix-1201974276/

There would have been no way this would have been good but it would have been a trip to watch.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Elissimpark posted:

I recommend Matt Berry's Snuff Box which has Matt Berry

Good shout. Jam as well. Actually anything Chris Morris has done, like Brass Eye. I'm surprised Americans didn't like that more, but they are frequently the butt of the joke.

https://youtu.be/ZP7uEKpESZA

Jam was loving amazing though.

https://youtu.be/5SqHtWudI24

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Anything with Matt Berry is good.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Vandar posted:

Have you seen his plans for a sequel trilogy?

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/george-lucas-episode-vii-episode-ix-1201974276/

There would have been no way this would have been good but it would have been a trip to watch.
I thought at this point the stories were basically already in place; the books have been out forever? (I've read zero) If he had made it a complete :lsd: movie that could have been great heading into 2020, but it would really need some new techniques (3d required, pushing the limits of the vision center, leveraging optical illusions and such) coupled with artistic/visual storytelling. He'd basically need to hire Stan Brakhage and Jodorowsky.

Or they could just spend $900M to make the first few books of A Wrinkle in Time.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

Good shout. Jam as well. Actually anything Chris Morris has done, like Brass Eye. I'm surprised Americans didn't like that more, but they are frequently the butt of the joke.

https://youtu.be/ZP7uEKpESZA

Jam was loving amazing though.

https://youtu.be/5SqHtWudI24

Jam is good. Was Blue Jam the weird remix?

Any way, you made me think of this for the first time in forever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3axSo6o9dvY

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Master Twig posted:

These days, the individual restaurant you are in matters 100x more than what part of the US you are in, when it comes to good BBQ. I've had amazing BBQ in Minneapolis and Chicago, and I've had terrible BBQ in Kansas City and Nashville. It doesn't matter where you are in the US. A skilled pitmaster can smoke meat properly and mix a good sauce. You can source good ingredients anywhere, and the knowledge of how to properly prepare it has become so widespread that geography doesn't matter.

This is true for pretty much any other style of food as well. The only exception being Seafood. You gotta be near the ocean for good seafood.

Memphis dry barbecue is the only good barbecue and Kansas City barbecue is horrible commercialized vinegar-laden poo poo for barbarians.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Elissimpark posted:

Jam is good. Was Blue Jam the weird remix?

Any way, you made me think of this for the first time in forever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3axSo6o9dvY

Blue Jam was the radio show that preceeded it, I think.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Woolie Wool posted:

Memphis dry barbecue is the only good barbecue and Kansas City barbecue is horrible commercialized vinegar-laden poo poo for barbarians.

You're confused. Kansas City is typically sweet. Carolina style Is the vinegar based.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Vinegar is good the problem with BBQ sauce is all the sugar.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Smack the Pony remains the height of British comedy.

*https://twitter.com/sjoerddendaas/status/1489926465147785222

Having the Olympics in China seems to be going great

doverhog has a new favorite as of 06:08 on Feb 6, 2022

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

Blue Jam was the radio show that preceeded it, I think.

This reminded me of an opinion regards British comedy. I have a feeling it's not so much unpopular as just completely obscure, but Kevin Eldon should be more well known.

There. I said it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

German pastry and desserts are far superior to any other European country

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
how fitting that we're having this conversation right as the British comedy world is grappling with the tricky moral conundrum of whether or not it's funny when gypsies are murdered.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

let us know how it turns out

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

hawowanlawow posted:

let us know how it turns out

I dont think they're gonna be able to come to a consensus, but it's definitely leaning "yes it's funny"

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Gripweed posted:

how fitting that we're having this conversation right as the British comedy world is grappling with the tricky moral conundrum of whether or not it's funny when gypsies are murdered.

I've missed this, and I'll regret asking, but what's the story here?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
England hates the Romani people. Openly. It’s weird and gross.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

German pastry and desserts are far superior to any other European country

Only if you include Austria

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

A bald guy whose entire career was based on buying the most offensive jokes possible from people who just copied them off 4chan and Reddit made a really offensive joke on stage.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Robobot posted:

England hates the Romani people. Openly. It’s weird and gross.

I thought they were supposed to be differentiating themselves from Europe atm??

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Disco Pope posted:

It's the same story as all of these other controversies.

A comedian told a joke which could be interpreted as an endorsement of a horrific, immoral act.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This is why I prefer the easy safe comedy of a Jimmy Fallon or a Jay Leno

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Disco Pope posted:

In Jimmy Carrs new Netflux special he said people don't talk about the gypsies who died in the holocaust because they don't want to talk about the positives

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

In Jimmy Carrs new Netflux special he said people don't talk about the gypsies who died in the holocaust because they don't want to talk about the positives

holy poo poo

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Waste of Breath posted:

You're confused. Kansas City is typically sweet. Carolina style Is the vinegar based.

It's vinegary and sugary at the same time so even worse :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gripweed posted:

Sounds like GBS circa 2003.