Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Stop stringing me along with these bad puns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

spankmeister posted:

Stop stringing me along with these bad puns

What's going on with this thread? Someone spinning a yarn?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Malek posted:

What's going on with this thread? Someone spinning a yarn?
they were but it's all unraveling fast now.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Arsten posted:

Conversation of the day:

:v: "What does Infotainment Telekinetics do?"
:confused: "Uh...Advertise with their mind? What are you talking about?"
:v: "It's on this guys' signature."
:confused: "It says System Administrator, IT......."
:v: "Isn't that what IT stands for?"

:psyboom:
So which one is you though?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
thimble

sewing

cross stitch

I hate you all

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Migishu posted:

thimble

sewing

cross stitch

I hate you all
it's ok, these are knitche puns anyway :)

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

mllaneza posted:

"How did it work in rehearsal ?"

That got me out from under a $5 million bus once.
Yep. Not $5mil, but I had a similar experience.

:downs:: I'd like to take a moment in this meeting to point out that I was really embarrassed during the conference presentation, because the screen sharing tool The Macaroni showed me totally blew up in my face! There were a lot of VIPs on that call and they were really disappointed.
Me: Yikes, I'm really sorry to hear that. What exactly happened?
:downs:: The screensharing window just kept looping in on itself until it froze my computer.
Me: Oh right, it does that unless you adjust the setting I mentioned to you last week. I also suggested that you try it out before the presentation. How'd that go?

She was gone in the next round of layoffs. I should've felt worse but didn't.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The company I work for has a lovely loving web store and wants to poo poo can it and hire a company to host, build and maintain a brand new one. Anyone have recommendations?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

mllaneza posted:

"How did it work in rehearsal ?"

That got me out from under a $5 million bus once.

"We're not supposed to have to rehearse! I should just show up and it works.!"

That's the response I got once.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
We're adding 45 more people to our company this fiscal year! YAY!

0 people in IT. :smith:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
We just hired 5 new techs and I don't even get to finish training my last one before the next one comes.

They also announced they're rolling out 24/7 support next year. No way that's related, though...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our directors seem intent on de-skilling as much as possible (because we have managed to take on so many useless fucks) and rather than doing anything in-house, just act as a broker and purchase network kit etc. fully supported and configured from a VAR, slap a margin on top of this, and then resell it. Nobody seems to have got to the part of the plan where this pushes margins to gently caress all because you're going to be taking the price that a prospective customer of ours could pay direct from a VAR, and adding more on top as well as having to do a bunch of administrative work yourself as far as billing, shipping, answering the phone and then phoning the vendor etc. goes.

I understand the idea of outsourcing what isn't your core business, or areas where you aren't proficient, but this is kind of insane.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sfwarlock posted:

"We're not supposed to have to rehearse! I should just show up and it works.!"

That's the response I got once.

"So you didn't rehearse a $5 million new business pitch, lost out, and it's the projector's fault ?"

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

mllaneza posted:

"So you didn't rehearse a $5 million new business pitch, lost out, and it's the projector's fault ?"

"No, it's your fault, because fixing the projector is your job. Or I mean, it was your job. Go pack your things."

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

JewKiller 3000 posted:

"No, it's your fault, because fixing the projector is your job. Or I mean, it was your job. Go pack your things."

This is the correct response.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

The Macaroni posted:

Yep. Not $5mil, but I had a similar experience.

:downs:: I'd like to take a moment in this meeting to point out that I was really embarrassed during the conference presentation, because the screen sharing tool The Macaroni showed me totally blew up in my face! There were a lot of VIPs on that call and they were really disappointed.
Me: Yikes, I'm really sorry to hear that. What exactly happened?
:downs:: The screensharing window just kept looping in on itself until it froze my computer.
Me: Oh right, it does that unless you adjust the setting I mentioned to you last week. I also suggested that you try it out before the presentation. How'd that go?

She was gone in the next round of layoffs. I should've felt worse but didn't.

No one would ever not reply with "It worked fine when I tried it"

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SEKCobra posted:

What time was that? I'll need to compare the logs to troubleshoot (even if there are no logs).

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

baquerd posted:

What time was that? I'll need to compare the logs to troubleshoot (even if there are no logs).

Still, you won't prove poo poo in that meeting. It would be an awkward pissing contest for sure.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

SEKCobra posted:

Still, you won't prove poo poo in that meeting. It would be an awkward pissing contest for sure.

You don't need to prove it, you just need to bring enough doubt that its not "loving IT". You can then have time to dig out the emails that prove you right, and get them to reproduce the fault after doing what they should have. Or they just grumble and bitch and the issue is forgotten.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Siochain posted:

You don't need to prove it, you just need to bring enough doubt that its not "loving IT". You can then have time to dig out the emails that prove you right, and get them to reproduce the fault after doing what they should have. Or they just grumble and bitch and the issue is forgotten.

You need to pick battles small enough that you can win, and large enough to matter. Sometimes you just gotta get poo poo on because everyone is wallowing around in poo poo at that company.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SEKCobra posted:

Amazingly enough, all I got from the VP of New Business was blank stare and dead silence. It was quiet enough that I could hear the two other VIPs called in (one of 'em was the guy who came up with the "Got Milk" campaign, how much clout do you think he had ?) changing their target lock from me to the new biz guy.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

pixaal posted:

You need to pick battles small enough that you can win, and large enough to matter. Sometimes you just gotta get poo poo on because everyone is wallowing around in poo poo at that company.

This, and even though it sounds like bad "enabling" behavior, request that the person who had problems get in touch with you prior to their future presentations. Keep an email trail and CC anyone that needs to know, basically a CYA move that says you're willing to help out to make sure things go smoothly.

Then, laugh in their stupid face next time they try throwing you under the bus and you have a paper trail proving they didn't bother contacting you. You'd be surprised how well it works to weed out lazy idiots.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

That's the point - obviously they didn't test it, so you can use whatever time they give you, pull up the Windows Event Logs, show absolutely no errors at that time and you're golden. Even if there may not be an Event Log entry type for what they're talking about, now it's up to them to be more specific about what they tried and they just end up digging themselves a deeper hole.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
The CFO brought down the company servers due to Hurricane Matthew and brought them back up on Sunday or so. All of a sudden, everything is running faster than ever.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there something wrong if server performance downgrades to the point of freezing until you reboot it? I just realized that this ALWAYS happens; it locks up, then they reboot and it's fine for a while, repeat ad nauseam. I'm not in IT, so I don't know for sure, but it seems a bit off.

loving idiots...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

D34THROW posted:

The CFO brought down the company servers due to Hurricane Matthew and brought them back up on Sunday or so. All of a sudden, everything is running faster than ever.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there something wrong if server performance downgrades to the point of freezing until you reboot it? I just realized that this ALWAYS happens; it locks up, then they reboot and it's fine for a while, repeat ad nauseam. I'm not in IT, so I don't know for sure, but it seems a bit off.

loving idiots...
It could be running faster because there are fewer servers or users connected to it, like for example if you have other servers or users affected by Hurricane Matthew.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I mean, my gut diagnosis is that some of the software running on those servers has a memory leak.

If those servers are running in-house code written in C++, the odds are not bad that's the case.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

anthonypants posted:

It could be running faster because there are fewer servers or users connected to it, like for example if you have other servers or users affected by Hurricane Matthew.

No, if anything, it's more bogged-down because the business deals heavily in storm protection, both DIY and done by our contractors, and everyone and their sister wants it now, and all our locations were back in operation Monday. Everything is run off the central servers at the corporate HQ, which is its own shitshow.

Greatbacon posted:

I mean, my gut diagnosis is that some of the software running on those servers has a memory leak.

If those servers are running in-house code written in C++, the odds are not bad that's the case.

Not in-house per se but a heavily customized version of Dynamics NAV, tons of modules and stuff to make it work about halfway to where they want it to.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

D34THROW posted:

loving idiots...

Memory leak.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Client: "So if we archive footage to S3 in our MAM it will go offline in Premiere. How do we re-link it?"
Me: :aaaaa: You restore it

:bang:

If there is anything that will make me consider leaving this company it's this client.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

pr0digal posted:

Client: "So if we archive footage to S3 in our MAM it will go offline in Premiere. How do we re-link it?"
Me: :aaaaa: You restore it

:bang:

If there is anything that will make me consider leaving this company it's this client.

"If I lock my car, how do I get back into it?" :iiaca:

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
"$User deleted faxes from $dir and now can't find them"

:derp:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The Oracle consultants we've had occupying our small conference room for the past three or so months have left the projector on 24/7. Today one of them came over to complain that the light turns on but it's really dim and then shuts off after a few minutes.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

anthonypants posted:

The Oracle consultants we've had occupying our small conference room for the past three or so months have left the projector on 24/7. Today one of them came over to complain that the light turns on but it's really dim and then shuts off after a few minutes.

they can get you a replacement but you probably dont want to pay that much

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Proud Christian Mom posted:

they can get you a replacement but you probably dont want to pay that much

WE can get a replacement for you guys, but it's going to cost $500 a minute to run.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Is there a reason Microsoft's RDP client for Mac wouldn't connect to a terminal server? Our official stance is "We don't support Macs" but the sales guys keep saying "Oh yeah, you can use macs, it's just RDP" and management keeps allowing them to log calls instead of telling them to gently caress off. I asked management what we're supposed to tell the customers and they said "oh tell them we don't support macs then send them this doc on how to install Jump Desktop and the server settings." And of course that doesn't work, neither do any of the half dozen other remote desktop apps people have tried. And of course the datacenter admins just say "dunno, we don't support macs, not looking into it." :smithicide:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
The built in Remote Connection or whatever is a steaming pile of poo poo.

Download Microsoft Remote Desktop from the App Store (it's got a red-orange icon) and use that.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

SeaborneClink posted:

The built in Remote Connection or whatever is a steaming pile of poo poo.

Download Microsoft Remote Desktop from the App Store (it's got a red-orange icon) and use that.

This is the correct answer.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Anyone else got a BOATLOAD of tickets because Globalsign was a bunch of cunts?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Is there a reason Microsoft's RDP client for Mac wouldn't connect to a terminal server? Our official stance is "We don't support Macs" but the sales guys keep saying "Oh yeah, you can use macs, it's just RDP" and management keeps allowing them to log calls instead of telling them to gently caress off. I asked management what we're supposed to tell the customers and they said "oh tell them we don't support macs then send them this doc on how to install Jump Desktop and the server settings." And of course that doesn't work, neither do any of the half dozen other remote desktop apps people have tried. And of course the datacenter admins just say "dunno, we don't support macs, not looking into it." :smithicide:

Even if your RDS/TS has per user licenses it has to issue a license to the machine as well (if you check the licensing manager it has unlimited per-device licenses), so I could imagine that's where you might be getting tripped up. Are there any error logs pertaining to a failure to issue a device CAL? Fwiw I've seen it work on iOS devices so :shrug: that's just my best guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Nuclearmonkee posted:

So today I was working on straightening out a horrible mess of a fiber setup at one of the larger facilities. There's large amounts of OM2 strung all over nearly at random, looped through various patch panels, also seemingly at random. Example patch panel:

Note the excellent labeling. The minimal labels that at least tell you which loving building they go to were recently added by me as when I started this there was no labeling and no documentation whatsoever. Also lots of those cables come out of the patch panel and are patched right back in. So I figure first thing I am going to do is build the mythical VEE LAN on an aggregation switch in the worst congested distribution point so that we can consolidate our retarded sprawling parallel connections to free up some fibers. First candidate is traced out through no less than four fiber patch panels. It's a low impact connection (internet for a facility in the complex, which can be down for up to a few hours without affecting production) and once I free it up, it will be easy to pull all of the other connections back into the aggregation switch which will be handling all of the internet connectivity, which by the way is already shared but runs separately on different pairs in parallel eating tons of fiber. The freed fibers will be used for some etherchannel and redundant connectivity (did I mention that there is zero redundancy whatsoever in the current setup?)

Pulled the cable, and corporate data goes out for half of the mile or so long facility which isn't part of the network I manage. I'm just trying to clean up the manufacturing networks that serve the robutts and things which I support. Once guy on the other end tells me that people are asking him why all of their ERP and email connectivity died I immediately reverted the change since it was obvious this fiber was not what we thought it was. Some of the network comes back but other pieces stay dead. Now I don't officially support this network since that's another team's responsibility but I broke the loving thing so I figure I should help fix it. Their network guy is on a plane and can't look at it and there is no backup. Helpdesk doesn't have a NOC screen or can tell me anything beyond "So and so in office 491 in Building 3 can't work" etc etc :suicide:. After walking around and looking for a while I figure out the resulting broadcast shitstorm on their beautiful single /16 broadcast domain err-disabled a couple ports on a few random switches which were not set to autorecover. I eventually track the offenders down throughout the facility and reset them, guided by a map and a panicky helpdesk guy on the phone pinging poo poo and guiding me around.

2 hours later, it's all working thank god. I go back and retrace our fiber and locate the fifth patch panel which the local guy forgot existed. 1 connection down, god knows how many to go. Going back tomorrow with the labeller and going ham on the place.

I see the Alien franchise reboot table readings are already taking place.

• Locked thread