Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thank you, Gross Dude! :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

a) I dispute that Cernovich has ever, even once, been to a gym.
b) "period juice"

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

That always reminds me of this classic

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Are gay trolls what ugly bears are called? It's hard to keep up with the lingo sometimes.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

this is sort of wrong and right. Corporate America never 'led the way', but they sure have jumped on the bandwagon with both feet so good for them I suppose..

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Mmm, concern trolling. The sweetest kind of trolling.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Maybe I am young, but I had the impression that the Left in the 60s through...maybe the 90s?...encouraged rational thinking alongside active cooperation between movements for oppressed groups whilst acknowledging that these movements needn't be inclusive to ~everyone~.

So how did we get to the point where an entire generation of people associated as "leftists" (and who believes they are indeed the champions of the left it seems) are no-platforming people who have dissenting opinions (who are often left-leaning or marginalized themselves)? How did we get to the point where rapists, abusers, child predators, "incels", and racists are being welcomed with open arms into these movements within the Left (specifically the LGBT movements)?

Culturally, politically, and academically, how did we get here?

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Is the last one really the original text?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Krispy Kareem posted:

English is the worst loving language. I just found out 'a' or 'an' isn't dependent on vowel or consonants, but whether the next letter sounds like a vowel or consonant.
Actually, vowels and consonants are sounds. The idea that particular letters are vowels is misleading, and why there's confusion of things like whether Y is a vowel or not.

Josef bugman posted:

See I don't use English well because I have real difficulty understanding the structure. I can do talking, but I genuinely have difficulty with poo poo like "what is a noun".
A noun is a thing, whether concrete (table, fish, unicorn) or abstract (love, magic, art). But knowing that doesn't really help with everyday language use. :shrug:

Mak0rz posted:

What's your primary language? I remember nouns, verbs, etc. being pretty clear when I was learning French and (later) Swedish. Is there something about English that makes them non-intuitive or something?
I don't know about English being non-intuitive, but when I went to school they just didn't really teach English grammar at all, so most of my grammar education was in LOTE classes.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
yeah well these forums are AMERICAN so DEAL WITH IT buddy or GET OUT!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slugnoid posted:

yeah well these forums are AMERICAN so DEAL WITH IT buddy or GET OUT!

I think you'll find the Internet was invented by Linux Torvalds, a Swede, and therefore all web-sites are Swedish :smugbert:

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Catberry posted:

It's what the translators put there, anyway. The anime is constantly making fun of its characters though, so that sequence looks worse out of context.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

SilverMike posted:

It's what the translators put there, anyway. The anime is constantly making fun of its characters though, so that sequence looks worse out of context.

Also the character is blatantly an rear end in a top hat and deliberately so. And so is the rest of his team.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/NerbieDansers/status/873695451731697666

https://twitter.com/NerbieDansers/status/873703858379337728

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Brianna Wu is a terrible person for reasons entirely unrelated to her gender identity.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Volcott posted:

Brianna Wu is a terrible person for reasons entirely unrelated to her gender identity.

ok?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trump is appointing Russel Vought to be deputy director of the White House Office of Management and Budget.

Bernie decided to probe into anti muslim comments Russ made while at super conservative Wheaton Christian college.

quote:

Sen. Sanders: "'Muslims do not simply have a deficient theology. They do not know God because they have rejected Jesus Christ, His Son, and they stand condemned.' Do you believe that that statement is Islamophobic?"

Mr. Vought: "Absolutely not, Senator. I'm a Christian, and I believe in a Christian set of principles based on my faith...

Sanders: "...Forgive me, we just don't have a lot of time. Do you believe people in the Muslim religion stand condemned? Is that your view?"

Vought: "Again, Senator, I'm a Christian, and I wrote that piece in accordance with the statement of faith at Wheaton College..."

Sanders: "I understand that. I don't know how many Muslims there are in America. Maybe a couple million. Are you suggesting that these people stand condemned? What about Jews? Do they stand condemned too?"

Vought: "Senator, I'm a Christian..."

Sanders: "I understand you are a Christian, but this country [is] made of people who are not just -- I understand that Christianity is the majority religion, but there are other people of different religions in this country and around the world. In your judgment, do you think that people who are not Christians are going to be condemned?"

Vought: "Thank you for probing on that question. As a Christian, I believe that all individuals are made in the image of God and are worthy of dignity and respect regardless of their religious beliefs. I believe that as a Christian that's how I should treat all individuals..."

Sanders: "...Do you think that's respectful of other religions?... I would simply say, Mr. Chairman that this nominee is really not someone who this country is supposed to be about."

Social media responded

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
He attacked every Christian in the country by asking a Christian if he thought Muslims were condemned. Did the term attacking change recently?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Someone's not reading his Bible, or he'd know the Rapture's not in it. :v:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

"I have never seen such hate coming from a politician."

- questioning someone who says all Muslims stand condemned

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Field Mousepad posted:

He attacked every Christian in the country by asking a Christian if he thought Muslims were condemned. Did the term attacking change recently?

In fact, it did.

at·tack
/əˈtak/
verb
to say something that inconveniences conservatives or has the potential to cause conservatives to feel uncomfortable about their views
"Al Gore attacked me when he said climate change was anthropogenic"
synonyms: correct, explain, disagree;

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Well gently caress my rear end.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

Well gently caress my rear end.

That would be attacking conservatives because they don't like gays.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"I'm a Christian" is apparently longhand for "yes."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Nero had the right idea. Throw Christians to the lions.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Thank god for Martha P. Johnson, LLC and the AIDS Crisis, brought to you by Pfizer.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Who What Now posted:

Nero had the right idea. Throw Christians to the lions.

Ironically, Nero did more to help the victims of the great fire of Rome than the modern GOP-christians would ever do for their disasterstricken citizen.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Field Mousepad posted:

Did the term attacking change recently?

Yeah, it means asking Conservatives a question.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Including suspect? Man that dude was bad at stabbing.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The comments on this one are a loving poo poo show of racists on both sides of the spectrum. You've got the people who openly hate Inuit, you have the left-wing PC people that think they're some kind of "noble savage" with beautiful art and culture, like their existence is some kind of entertainment for them to consume. You have the white knights swooping in to defend those who clearly can't defend themselves. Or lumping them in with other First Nations groups to proclaim their love of their beautiful culture like it's a single entity and not hundreds of different cultures.

Maybe if there were actual people living in Northern communities weighing in with their thoughts on how allegedly legitimate their culture and lifestyle is, there could be a bit more of a balanced conversation going on. But right now it's just a whole lotta white people giving their opinions on something they know nothing about.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Picnic Princess posted:

But right now it's just a whole lotta white people giving their opinions on something they know nothing about.

Isn't that the very definition of the Internet?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Fathis Munk posted:

Isn't that the very definition of the Internet?

Fair.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mak0rz posted:

What's your primary language? I remember nouns, verbs, etc. being pretty clear when I was learning French and (later) Swedish. Is there something about English that makes them non-intuitive or something?

Knowing English the answer is probably yes.

My prime, and only, language is English. I can put a sentence together and understand what sounds stupid when read aloud, but I have real difficulty knowing all the structural underpinnings of how our language works.

I have to read out virtually everything I write to myself to make sure I am not cocking it up.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

BioEnchanted posted:

That's a simile!

No, that's amore

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
I feel like I lucked out massively being born in an English speaking country. I learned the hardest most convoluted language in the world while just crawling around making GBS threads my diapers and sucking on my mums tits. :madmax:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Slugnoid posted:

I feel like I lucked out massively being born in an English speaking country. I learned the hardest most convoluted language in the world while just crawling around making GBS threads my diapers and sucking on my mums tits. :madmax:

Crawling around making GBS threads my diapers and sucking on your mums tits is how I learned English as an adult. It works for all ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Catberry posted:

I believe it is, but this is a comedy series about 4 adventurers who are more or less complete dicks to each other, so he doesn't really mean it.