Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The Golden Gael posted:

As it stands, Celebi, Magearna, Victini, and Manaphy are the only little legendaries you can legally have nicknamed. Oh, also Shaymin if you count it.
Phione kinda counts, I think. But yeah. RIP my plans for nicknaming my Celebi Vidalia, I guess.

So, does anyone else interpret Jynx as like... some weird mollusk that mimicks humans? I know there's a lot of controversy over what inspired the design (and frankly I can absolutely believe a visual inspiration of blackface, oh dear), but I really love jynx for being this weird blobby gremlin in a fleshy pseudopod dress that speaks a language even other pokemon canonically can't understand, to the point that when they're 'talking' in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon it just comes out as basically wingdings. They're delightfully weird. Too bad about the many many things they're weak to.

EDIT: And also too bad about the fact that Gamefreak is unlikely to draw more attention to Jynx by giving them another evolution or a mega or whatever. Forever on the D-list, Jynx. Forever on the D-list.

Anyway I just brought this up bc I caught a Jynx in Silver and shifted her to my main team and I'm having fun.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
One of my favorite pokemon memories is actually pretty recent, despite having been playing the games religiously for 15 years. I was doing a blind Nuzlocke of Moon, and made it all the way to the Champion, when Kukui's Incineroar hit my ace with a Z-Move, with the rest of my team in shambles. I resigned myself to defeat and sent out my Gastrodon in a last ditch effort to maybe get a single turn off to heal a mon capable of *maybe* dealing with the Incineroar. Instead the Gastrodon facetanked *five* Darkest Lariats at 1 HP thanks to his affection, giving me time to heal up the rest of my team and even switch out to a pokemon capable of killing the loving cat. Gastrodon won me the game, and since then I've become a lot more fond of it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

NewFatMike posted:

The nice man at Gamestop gave me an extra Marshadow card! Who has a good home for that ghostly boy?

Right here, if nobody's already taken it privately.
e: I don't have platinum so I'll just plop my email in the thread if necessary.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PetraCore posted:

Phione kinda counts, I think. But yeah. RIP my plans for nicknaming my Celebi Vidalia, I guess.

So, does anyone else interpret Jynx as like... some weird mollusk that mimicks humans? I know there's a lot of controversy over what inspired the design (and frankly I can absolutely believe a visual inspiration of blackface, oh dear), but I really love jynx for being this weird blobby gremlin in a fleshy pseudopod dress that speaks a language even other pokemon canonically can't understand, to the point that when they're 'talking' in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon it just comes out as basically wingdings. They're delightfully weird. Too bad about the many many things they're weak to.

EDIT: And also too bad about the fact that Gamefreak is unlikely to draw more attention to Jynx by giving them another evolution or a mega or whatever. Forever on the D-list, Jynx. Forever on the D-list.

Anyway I just brought this up bc I caught a Jynx in Silver and shifted her to my main team and I'm having fun.

Jynx has one of the best Pokémon Stadium deaths: https://youtu.be/ApPJACXCdoM

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Jesus, I love it. Jynx is the worst (best). Oddly enough, never been a huge fan of Mr. Mime despite them having a lot of the same goofy charms.

...maybe I'll breed a shiny Jynx before USUM, just cause.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jynx seems based on a mermaid or siren. Because an earlier iteration of its design was controversial in the past, it will never get to be special.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Bongo Bill posted:

Jynx seems based on a mermaid or siren. Because an earlier iteration of its design was controversial in the past, it will never get to be special.
Yeah, I agree. The little fins added to its 'skirt' really helps cement this, and the fact that the fins move on their own and Jynx is said not to leave footprints just makes me think the skirt is just one massive muscle, like a mollusk pseudopod. It's details like that I find charming in otherwise more boring humanoid pokemon.

Similarily

Gothitelle's torso placement and leg length are nothing like what you'd expect from thinking of it as humanoid, or from Gothorita's more proportionate legs. This detail alone basically tipped me over into liking Gothitelle's design.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't like humanoid pokes. This is the hill I will die on.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I love all humanoid Pokés, especially my beautiful prince Mega Gallade.

But also Bisharp, the hitmons, Machamp, Gothitelle, Jynx, etc... :love:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bongo Bill posted:

Pretty sure Jynx was inspired by this lovely lady: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuki-onna

She would later also serve as the inspiration for Froslass.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

froslass is a much better design and one of my favorites

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I like Glailie more.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Dizz posted:

I like Glailie more.

This guy gets it. If you dint think Mega Glalie's giant, unhinged jaw isn't the dopest poo poo you've ever seen I don't know what to tell you

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I meant normal Glailie but yeah Mega Glailie is pretty swell too.

Dewgong is also cool

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dizz posted:

Dewgong is also cool

Seel and Dewgong have such adorable designs I wish they would get a revamp or a Mega or something to make them worth using for more than just being cute.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Alolan dewgong that's Rock/Ice so I can name it Mountain Dewgong

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dizz posted:

It's Glalie (glacial + goalie)

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Diet Poison posted:

Right here, if nobody's already taken it privately.
e: I don't have platinum so I'll just plop my email in the thread if necessary.

Yeah, whatever you're comfortable with! I'm in the Discord as well as NewFatMike, so if you're in there that's easy, too!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Thank you again for the punchghost, Nth doctor. Got him all downloaded but I'm gonna wait until Ultra Moon to take him for a spin I think

oh my gosh this channel has every single "cry, intro, thud" in Stadium 1 and 2. I remember so many of them.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

McDragon posted:

Thank you again for the punchghost, Nth doctor. Got him all downloaded but I'm gonna wait until Ultra Moon to take him for a spin I think

Ain't no thing! Enjoy 'im

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

NewFatMike posted:

Yeah, whatever you're comfortable with! I'm in the Discord as well as NewFatMike, so if you're in there that's easy, too!

Honestly, I don't know what Discord even is. A chat thing? I'm at work now anyway. I'll just post my email here and scrub it when you've sent me the code. Thanks!

Got it. Thanks again.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 11, 2017

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Bongo Bill posted:

Not sure what you mean by "not special" since it still has a unique type combination. Also if I recall, the introduction of Electivire and Magmortar didn't really improve usage of Magmar and Electabuzz's families in the long run.

However it really seems like Pokémon is shying away from making more humaniod ones since no Pokémon in the Human-like egg group was added in Gen 7.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Diet Poison posted:

Honestly, I don't know what Discord even is. A chat thing? I'm at work now anyway. I'll just post my email here and scrub it when you've sent me the code. Thanks!

Gotcha buddy, enjoy!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Zuzie posted:

Not sure what you mean by "not special" since it still has a unique type combination. Also if I recall, the introduction of Electivire and Magmortar didn't really improve usage of Magmar and Electabuzz's families in the long run.

However it really seems like Pokémon is shying away from making more humaniod ones since no Pokémon in the Human-like egg group was added in Gen 7.

Not really? Tsasreena and Steene are pretty humanoid despite not being in that egg group.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

sharrrk posted:

froslass is a much better design and one of my favorites
The truth.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Not really? Tsasreena and Steene are pretty humanoid despite not being in that egg group.

Same goes for Incineroar.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ugh... roaming pokemon are the worst

Get in the loving ball, Mesprit. End this charade.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

mesprit is the perfect candidate for the master ball. it's the right colour and an M name and everything. I appreciated that when I was trying to capture the lake critters in matching colour balls

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Nth Doctor posted:

Check your pms.

My sister for so angry at me for battling her with my level 255 gengar thanks to the MissingNo glitches.

Edit: I'm happy to send you a code if you want to try it, but I can't send you PMs and the app for Android didn't tell me that when I sent the code originally. LMK what you'd like to do.

Whoa the thread went fast. Also I coulda sworn I had plat but I guess not. But, it's worth a try! Do you have discord? hey did you know you have to enable PMs, because I sure didn't! It should work now hopefully.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The best thing about Jynx is that in red and blue the only one you can get is always nicknamed "LOLA", and I like to think this is a reference to the song of the same name by The Kinks.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Ogmius815 posted:

The best thing about Jynx is that in red and blue the only one you can get is always nicknamed "LOLA", and I like to think this is a reference to the song of the same name by The Kinks.

It's a reference to Copacabana by Barry Manilow

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

less laughter posted:

It's a reference to Copacabana by Barry Manilow

Sure, but my song is better.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Surely that'd depend on its gender when you migrate it up to gen 2?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

all jynxes are ladies though

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I admit I had to look that up and now I want there to be an alolan man-jynx

e: that looks exactly the same

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

McDragon posted:

all jynxes are ladies though

In red and blue, pokemon had no genders. They were gender-ambiguous, and so is Lola.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, I was too busy to check SA and when I get to check I'm too late to ask for Marshadow codes from people giving them out. Pity.

If anyone has another, I'd greatly appreciate it! Gotta complete that livingdex which lacks other Pokemon but I'm working on it...

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

BREAKING NEWS: The next new Pokémon type will be "Replicant" and will just reuse trainer models for fighting.

Yes, you can dress up your replicants.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq11wlyxuwk

The new Z-Moves are pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hang on this implies rotom is pronounced raht oh-m