Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
For some reason there's an EF-111 at the Silver Springs, NV puddle jumper airfield. They tow it out of the way to conduct a motorcycle safety course then put it back. There's also an F-111 (and a C-123) at the airport in Battle Mountain, NV, a couple of hours away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Psion posted:

Saw a couple C-17s today. They were coming out of the north and turning west, which isn't so unusual, except that I cannot for the life of me think of a single reason why they'd do that 50 miles north of JBLM.

Flyover for the Sounders?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

holocaust bloopers posted:

Going through my archive of flying photos. This one looks almost fake. Open it up in a new tab and remove the "l" before .jpeg for the full rez.

Hey, I was looking for a new wallpaper. Thanks!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

So a guy at my airport owns an A-26 and I'm not quite sure what the proper way to beg him to go look at his airplane and offer to do things(let's face it probably just throw money at him) in exchange for a ride around the block.

Every time I taxi by it I want to ask GND if I can stop and gawk for a few minutes.

Request hold at present position for three minutes for systems check

Works for us

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
http://i.imgur.com/nvgpBKs.webm

http://i.imgur.com/iZUEoSR.webm

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
http://i.imgur.com/DMxEG6b.gifv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzMb_ue4aG4

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
The one of a kind Wildcatfish.

F4F Wildcat on floats, with beaching gear.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Slo-Tek posted:

The one of a kind Wildcatfish.

F4F Wildcat on floats, with beaching gear.

Any other info or pictures about this? Looks neat.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

I'm suprised that plane got off the ground with all those 200lb steel nutsacks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Were those poor VDV bastards outside the plane the whole time from take-off on? Unless they have to be outside the whole time, I can't figure out what the advantage is over just cutting a hole in the side. Maybe you can get a slightly higher concentration of the stick?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It always takes me a split second to realize that isn't someone dicking around in IL-2.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Were those poor VDV bastards outside the plane the whole time from take-off on? Unless they have to be outside the whole time, I can't figure out what the advantage is over just cutting a hole in the side. Maybe you can get a slightly higher concentration of the stick?

Yes, they were there from take-off. This was one of the very first attempts with paratroops, there wasn't much to go with, and the Soviets didn't have much else to use. They did figure out a better way, and even used it a couple of times in the war, but not a lot.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

Yes, they were there from take-off. This was one of the very first attempts with paratroops, there wasn't much to go with, and the Soviets didn't have much else to use. They did figure out a better way, and even used it a couple of times in the war, but not a lot.

I'd be pretty impressed if they somehow managed to figure out a worse way.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

hogmartin posted:

I'd be pretty impressed if they somehow managed to figure out a worse way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsy4FQuOUNQ

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Have a PDF

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Colonial Air Force posted:

Uh... are you sure? If something in that report says otherwise I'll take your word for it, but the linked video pretty clearly shows the majority of the paratroopers climbing out through a door to line up along the wing for their drop. You can see a couple of paratroopers dangling their legs over side of the open dorsal gun position, and the officer directs the drop from there, but I don't see any reason to believe a dozen guys would... ride the wing for takeoff, then climb into the fuselage, then climb back out?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ok, but did you remember to account for wodka?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Uh... are you sure? If something in that report says otherwise I'll take your word for it, but the linked video pretty clearly shows the majority of the paratroopers climbing out through a door to line up along the wing for their drop. You can see a couple of paratroopers dangling their legs over side of the open dorsal gun position, and the officer directs the drop from there, but I don't see any reason to believe a dozen guys would... ride the wing for takeoff, then climb into the fuselage, then climb back out?

Well I'm not sure anymore, no.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Think about drawing straws for who's inside the plane and who's outside.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Think about drawing straws for who's inside the plane and who's outside.

Well, the Pilot loses by default. What with being in an open cockpit

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Lightbulb Out posted:

Any other info or pictures about this? Looks neat.

The idea behind the Wildcatfish was that they could operate out of protected harbors on Pacific islands were airstrips weren't available, but since the floats reduced the performance of the Wildcat (which was already inferior to the Zero) and Navy SeaBees were able to build airfields surprisingly quickly, the concept was scrapped after only one airplane was converted.

Incidentally, the Japanese had a floatplane version of the Zero for essentially the same reason. The A6M2-N (dubbed 'Rufe" by the Allies) enjoyed some limited in the Aleutian campaign, but were increasingly vulnerable as Allied fighter presence become more common, so only 327 were built before production ended in 1943.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I did find a couple of references to Edo having delivered 100 sets of floats prior to the Wildcatfish project cancellation, but I can't find any actual like, pictures or evidence of it really being a thing.

I like to imagine that there's still a warehouse full of floats, somewhere...

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Don't let the Marines find out about them or they'll demand a float version of the F-35.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

EvilJoven posted:

Don't let the Marines find out about them or they'll demand a float version of the F-35.

That's still VTOL capable.

And can carry a platoon to bring the fight to the enemy 'rah.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

movax posted:

Flyover for the Sounders?

They were several miles north of the stadium but maybe waiting in a holding pattern before a scheduled flyover? The game was Saturday at 7:00 and that fits the timeframe.

e: also, this http://www.soundersfc.com/post/2016/05/21/fans-encouraged-arrive-early-military-appreciation-night-vs-colorado

yep, that's it. It might be I only saw one at a time so it must've been one doing repeated loops instead of the two I thought I saw.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The Greeks freaked out about a Delta flight just a few hours after the EgyptAir crash.

News.com.au posted:

The F-16 pilots tried to see what was happening inside the plane, reporting that the Delta pilots appeared to be in their seats but were possibly asleep. One of the fighter jets even flew in front of the Boeing passenger plane and used light signals in a desperate attempt to rouse them, but there was still no response.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/delta-air-lines-ghost-flight-over-greece/news-story/1d1cae2ef7325a8e525bb22750a9eda1

The Greek Civil Aviation Authority is maintaining their claim that the Delta pilots were asleep. Delta claims it was a radio issue.

This seems like BS.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

quote:

It was only when shocked passengers alerted flight attendants to the fighter jets that surrounded the plane, that the pilots were roused as the crew banged on the cockpit door. They then contacted Greek authorities. By then, it had been nearly an hour without any contact.

Ugh - total suckage for the Delta pilots. Nightmare scenario.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Don't sleep on the job maybe

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
If it was a former Northwest crew, that situation becomes exponentially more entertaining.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm curious - how, exactly, is this a nightmare scenario for the pilots? As opposed to, I don't know, the passengers?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Doesn't Germany to Kuwait imply a military charter? I don't think Delta flies to Kuwait on a regular basis.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Psion posted:

I'm curious - how, exactly, is this a nightmare scenario for the pilots? As opposed to, I don't know, the passengers?

The passengers are safe, and have moved on with their lives, and the pilots are out of work because they did something mound tally stupid and got caught?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Psion posted:

Honestly maybe this is the impetus we need to get rid of humans in the cockpit. That way we don't have all these really dumb catastrophes that could be avoided with good old fashioned automation.

I also think live streaming video cameras should be mandatory for transatlantic flights. Bare minimum to ensure safety for the pax.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Doesn't Germany to Kuwait imply a military charter? I don't think Delta flies to Kuwait on a regular basis.

On behalf of TRANSCOM, according to the internets.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Meanwhile, in Maine
https://twitter.com/planefinder/status/734820571037458432

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Psion posted:

If the passengers were military (very likely), the nightmare scenario for the pilots is that someone would gain access to the flight deck and gently caress with them while they slept. The nightmare scenario for the passengers already came true...the pilots escaped unscathed.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Captain Apollo posted:

Honestly maybe this is the impetus we need to get rid of humans in the cockpit. That way we don't have all these really dumb catastrophes that could be avoided with good old fashioned automation.

I also think live streaming video cameras should be mandatory for transatlantic flights. Bare minimum to ensure safety for the pax.

Is flight deck video for the flight data recorder a thing? Shouldn't it be?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

No and yes

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm sure the second someone tried to introduce it every pilot union would scream blue bloody murder.

There is some legitimate reason to not want cameras and that's because at the end of the day when management decides they want to gut someone like a fish for no good reason the standard clowning around being a gross shithead behaviour that every human being on the planet exhibits would suddenly be used against them.

Hell, how many pilots have been raked over the coals for hot mike conversations that most of us have had with coworkers.

Edit: there are already cockpit voice recorders so I guess they'll just have to add a "if we see a captain and copilot playing circle game only they're actually whipping their wangs out we won't hold that against them" clause to the contract.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Snowbirds visited DC today
https://youtu.be/LzSaPf6alec