Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I was making tahini sauce and decided the magic bullet would be an easier way to incorporate olive oil and lemon juice into the sauce.

Long story short - now I have something the texture of hummus. Even after adding water to try to thin it out.

Can this process be easily reversed? If not, NBD - it's still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

FaradayCage posted:

I was making tahini sauce and decided the magic bullet would be an easier way to incorporate olive oil and lemon juice into the sauce.

Long story short - now I have something the texture of hummus. Even after adding water to try to thin it out.

When you add water to tahini it gets really thick. As you keep adding more, it gets thinner. Just keep adding water a teaspoon at a time and stir. It'll thin out.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steamer baskets are also nice if you're only steaming a few bao. Also eggs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

FaradayCage posted:

https://www.chowhound.com/post/tahini-based-salad-dressing-emulsified-542627

Like angor said, keep adding water

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
By jove, it works!

Thank you.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Anybody got a really bangin recipe for shakshuka? I know the basics of "poach eggs in spicy tomato sauce," but looking for input on the details, thanks.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Use chicken eggs.

Kidding aside, I recently had eyed Kenji's recipe, though I still haven't made it: https://www.google.ca/amp/www.seriouseats.com/amp/recipes/2016/09/shakshuka-north-african-shirred-eggs-tomato-pepper-recipe.html

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I make shakshuka pretty much weekly and I don't know if I've ever made it exactly the same twice. I usually cook down an onion with garlic, then add paprika, smoked paprika, ground cumin, and chili flakes, then tomato. Sometimes I add green peppers, sometimes red, sometimes I do fresh green chilies instead of flakes, sometimes I throw in some berbere (this is out-loving-standing btw), or whatever. Oh, throw some feta on top or some goat cheese and some parsley or some cilantro (you get the idea).

Aim for a heady, smoky, rich tomato sauce, and you will be rewarded!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've made shakshuka a million times and my one regret is that by the time the tomatoes have reduced enough so that it's not watery or soupy, the vegetables have been cooked to mush. I think next time I make it I will lightly saute the veggies in a different pan, reduce the tomatoes by themselves, then combine and season everything together. More work and more dishes but I'm interested to see how it turns out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Midniter posted:

I've made shakshuka a million times and my one regret is that by the time the tomatoes have reduced enough so that it's not watery or soupy, the vegetables have been cooked to mush. I think next time I make it I will lightly saute the veggies in a different pan, reduce the tomatoes by themselves, then combine and season everything together. More work and more dishes but I'm interested to see how it turns out.

This is kinda my problem with it as well. I might try out reducing the tomatoes separately like you mention as well!

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

TheQuietWilds posted:

Anybody got a really bangin recipe for shakshuka? I know the basics of "poach eggs in spicy tomato sauce," but looking for input on the details, thanks.

This recipe is not strictly traditional since it adds feta, but it's my favorite.

I cook for one, so I usually make the whole thing without eggs, then crack an egg or two over a portion in an oven-safe dish when I want it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tired Moritz posted:

the solution is to cook more tamales

This

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Steamer baskets are also nice if you're only steaming a few bao. Also eggs.

I was amazed as hell when I found out you can make hardboiled eggs in a steamer.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've got chicken breast I want to broil. It's cut about 3/4" - 1" thick. How long should I broil it for?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've got chicken breast I want to broil. It's cut about 3/4" - 1" thick. How long should I broil it for?

If it were me I'd use a probe thermometer and just wing it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Also dumplings and fish, and why are you only eating tamales once or twice a year?

Also who only makes 2 tamales at a time? It looked so depressing.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

My office is having a Hispanic Heritage Month potluck tomorrow, it's optional but I'd like to bring something. What's a fun, relatively inexpensive potluck dish suitable for 6-12 adults?

E: I'm thinking I may also make a pitcher of horchata since that's pretty easy to do.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tamales!!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

juliuspringle posted:

I was amazed as hell when I found out you can make hardboiled eggs in a steamer.

Yep. 9-10 minutes followed by an ice bath makes for good eggs that are easy to peel.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Chard posted:

My office is having a Hispanic Heritage Month potluck tomorrow, it's optional but I'd like to bring something. What's a fun, relatively inexpensive potluck dish suitable for 6-12 adults?

E: I'm thinking I may also make a pitcher of horchata since that's pretty easy to do.
beans

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

More specifically, this recipe for frijoles charros, perhaps?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chard posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-enchiladas-food-lab-recipe.html

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I don't currently have a pressure cooker, but I suppose I could grab an Insta-Pot after work today. How much longer would the chicken need to cook without one? I love enchiladas too so I could make way too many and keep some for myself.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
So I loosely followed Alton Brown's Goulash recipe for cooking some beef short ribs end-meat I have (about 3lbs of it) last night. Swapped out the paprika for chili powder, and some other stuff as I've made the Goulash before and wanted a bit of a different flavor. That's all good - meat turned out great, it's sitting in the fridge waiting to be cut up this morning. But I'm not sure what to do with it;

I'm heading to a party with it tonight - sort of a pot-luck type thing, but probably not a sitting-down affair - I was thinking of using the beef with tacos or something else - but I'd like a good recipe of some sort to follow - anyone got any suggestions?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'd look for a recipe that's sans pressure cooker then. Liquid will be quite different. It'll depend how you cook it, but probably a half hour longer at least. You can check them in different vessels.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chard posted:

I don't currently have a pressure cooker, but I suppose I could grab an Insta-Pot after work today. How much longer would the chicken need to cook without one? I love enchiladas too so I could make way too many and keep some for myself.

I actually have made that recipe before without a pressure cooker. Basically similar preparation but cook down all the vegetables, chilis etc for around 30m on a low boil then hit it all with the stick blender. I browned up the chicken thighs in a skillet and then tossed them in and let them simmer with the vegetables for about ~1h.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

That Works posted:

I actually have made that recipe before without a pressure cooker. Basically similar preparation but cook down all the vegetables, chilis etc for around 30m on a low boil then hit it all with the stick blender. I browned up the chicken thighs in a skillet and then tossed them in and let them simmer with the vegetables for about ~1h.

Cool, I think I will give this a try then, thanks. I have plenty of time tonight to mess around and browning them a bit sounds like a good step. One day I'll get a pressure cooker, and stand mixer, and dehydrator.... curse the physical limitations of kitchen space and bank accounts.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
What kinda soup goes well with tuna sandwiches?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Volcott posted:

What kinda soup goes well with tuna sandwiches?
Not a usual soup & sandwich guy. But it you offered me a tangy tomato soup with it, I'd take it.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I'd recommend beet soup

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Beer cheese soup

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Broccoli-asparagus soup with thyme and rosemary, shallots, celery, a potato or two, and a touch of lemon juice, pureed.

This also goes well with some sharp (and I mean really sharp) cheddar melted into it - and a little sodium citrate, of course.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Turkeybone posted:

Hi friends:

(1) I'm cooking through b r a v e t a r t and need to find a better (ok, well any) chocolate source in NYC. The local spot near me has callebaut milk choc blocks, but just wondering where that next level is beyond callebaut blocks at whole foods?

(2) This is kinda food adjacent, but I have FUCKTONS of corks and wooden wine boxes and was wondering on some DIY applications.. I guess coasters and corkboards are the first thought for the corks, and all the boxes, well, I'm not really sure.
You can make your own fishing bobbers with a drill, some corks, a little paint, and maybe some coffee straws to be fancy. Bobbers are spendy.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Thanks for the BBQ tips everybody!

Ya'll got a point. I'm gonna stop overthinking it and work on basic techniques before I try disseminating every drat BBQ across America. If I can afford it I'll try smoking pulled pork this weekend just to see if I can mess it up.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Because I'm a moron, I decided to help my wife out with her baking this morning by preparing the cake batter in advance last night and putting it in the fridge.

Apparently that means it's now no good, and I'm an idiot for not knowing that you can't store cake batter overnight. Is it completely beyond redemption, or is there anything I can do to save it?

Edit: if it makes a difference, this is the recipe.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 24, 2017

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
The baking powder will have all been used up, so it won't rise. It's an odd recipe actually, normally you don't use baking powder in a cake batter that has acid in it (like orange juice) you use baking soda...

Anyways, try adding 0.5tsp of baking soda (or 1tsp baking powder I guess) into the batter and baking it immediately. It should rise, but you have the risk it tastes a bit soapy.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I doubt if you can get any extra baking powder to blend into the batter without just turning into nasty bitter little clumps. Would it be worth experimenting with thinning a little bit of the batter somehow - maybe water or almond milk and seeing if it can be pan-fried like a pancake/crepe?

Edit: to clarify, I'd be cooking it in ladlefuls, not trying to panfry the whole lot into one big blob.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 24, 2017

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think it's basically done. You can't add more powder without making it too bitter and soda would kind of be a long shot, I think. On the other hand, the only real issue is that it won't rise as much and won't be as fluffy - if you have double acting baking powder (which you likely do) it'll still rise a bit, and you have the eggs in there so it's not going to just be a flat brick or whatever. Might as well bake it, because otherwise you'll be ditching it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The loss would be, what, $1-2 in ingredients? I would just restart instead of spending a lot of hassle to end up with a subpar result.

Next time you can premix the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
The cake is Almond flour, which is pretty expensive round here at least. I'd definitely try and bake it in some way, at worst you get an orange flavoured biscuit!