Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FBS posted:

GSX-Rs all look the same to me

yeah. maybe it's because i don't really pay attention to supersports but i couldn't tell you the difference between any gixxers made in the last 10 years, and if you painted them all the same color i'd have trouble picking out an R6/CBR600/ZX6R/GSX from one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The R6 has that sexy rear end that always sticked out.

Also I have a soft spot for double headlights.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 10, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The blue and silver are intended to match the 60s Grand Prix bikes and the new MotoGP bike has the same color scheme. The accent on the wheels has been on the current Suzuki MotoGP bikes for a while and is meant to tie in to those modern bikes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bring back double round headlights like the old FZRs

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
1st gen gixxer 750 throwback

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

This morning I went to wash the mud of the DR and a dude at the car wash came up and said he wished he'd got the white/grey colors that I have, and I said "lol, I wish I'd got black", and so we're gonna meet up later this week and talk about swapping, assuming everything's in about the same condition.

Then I got home and my procycle jet kit that I was told was lost in the mail last month has arrived.

It's a good day.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

This morning I went to wash the mud of the DR and a dude at the car wash came up and said he wished he'd got the white/grey colors that I have, and I said "lol, I wish I'd got black", and so we're gonna meet up later this week and talk about swapping, assuming everything's in about the same condition.

Then I got home and my procycle jet kit that I was told was lost in the mail last month has arrived.

It's a good day.

Did you agree on what you meant by swapping?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, his black fenders, headlight cowl, and side panels for my white/grey ones, as long as we both think it's a fair trade.

Lol we had completely misunderstood each other, but in the best way. He meant that he had swapped out his original brand new black plastics for grey and white ones a couple of years ago, and had the original black ones still. I have just bought an oldish but unused set of black plastics, minus front fender, for $100au.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 17, 2020

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I think he meant swapping JO crystal charges

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hoooo buddy are you in for hella imitation crab meat

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Yeah, his black fenders, headlight cowl, and side panels for my white/grey ones, as long as we both think it's a fair trade.

Lol we had completely misunderstood each other, but in the best way. He meant that he had swapped out his original brand new black plastics for grey and white ones a couple of years ago, and had the original black ones still. I have just bought an oldish but unused set of black plastics, minus front fender, for $100au.

As long as you both went home satisfied.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Just received a fine from Italy for an apparent autostrada toll non-payment in June 2019. The wheels of justice turn slowly, apparently!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Hmm this explains a lot about that old dude I met that asked me if I had a BSA

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Was there ever a bike that didn't have a conventional transmission but instead had the engine just running a hydraulic pump to a torque converter in the rear wheel hub? I know the Yamaha 2WD concept bike used something similar for the front wheel drive, but I'm certain I've seen/read about this for the main drive too, and possibly something about the engine being specially designed for it too?

(It's also entirely possible I completely dreamed all this, too)

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

https://thekneeslider.com/hydrostatic-drive-diesel-motorcycle/

Hydrostatic drive motorcycle.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
A bunch of people have had the idea and done it in customs over the years, and some concept bikes have gone there, but I don't think it's ever been done in a production motorcycle.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That seems like a horrible idea

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

What, you don’t want a hydraulic fluid shower after you layer dan?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
That big gently caress-off diesel apocalypse bike that has been posted around here a few times uses a hydrostatic drive, and IIRC he used a portion of the frame that sits right in front of the rider as the tank for the hydraulic fluid (might use it as his fuel tank though, can't remember)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There are a few models of Honda farm quad with a hydrostatic drive. They are generally not very good and there is zero advantage over a normal machine, it was just Honda waving their willy like they sometimes do I think.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I saw a Kawa 900RS in person today and BY GOD that’s a beautiful looking bike.

I honestly think I’d ditch a sportbike for that any day of the week if it came in a 400 or 650.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Last time hydrostatic drive came up, someone commented that a plurality of forklifts are hydrostatic and hydrostatic drives usually feel horrible.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I saw a Kawa 900RS in person today and BY GOD that’s a beautiful looking bike.

I honestly think I’d ditch a sportbike for that any day of the week if it came in a 400 or 650.

They are making a Z650 RS.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Oh word? That's interesting. I wonder if they'll paradoxically put better suspension and braking on the retro of this one, too.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Ptwin booooooo

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Arson Daily posted:

Ptwin booooooo

Don't suppose Team Green would toss a 270 deg. firing order into their p-twin and make it a little more MT-07esque, would they?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

Don't suppose Team Green would toss a 270 deg. firing order into their p-twin and make it a little more MT-07esque, would they?

It'll be the versys engine.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I hope they change the design on the engine covers at least (they won't)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

Ptwin booooooo

What characteristics don't you like about ptwins?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Russian Bear posted:

What characteristics do you like about ptwins?

Inquiring minds want to know.

edit: To be less of a jerk. Ptwins are fine engines. Efficient, small, probably easy to make and design. But they aren't interesting when compared to the other engine types. They are just there.

Exceptions are the 270degree crank ptwin, but even they sound a bit too clinical. Also my old ninjette, because 17000 rpm is fun on anything.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 21, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

180 degree ptwins are just the most boring possible engine, that's all

I even have a weird nostalgia for that sound and feeling because my first bike was a GS500 but I'm sure not in any hurry to buy another one

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

What characteristics don't you like about ptwins?

The earth-shattering boredom and terrible noise, mostly. A couple of the newer ones are bucking the trend but yeah. Just An Engine.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I got a demo ride on a Versys 650 once, really wanting to like it, but it just gave me the feeling that I was mowing the lawn with a Briggs & Stratton 4-stroke. Somehow it had the bottom end of an I4 with the top end of a V-twin. Nice midrange though, and a popping green color that reminded me more of a freshly cut lawn.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I've heard others say this, but somehow the first-gen Versys was way more fun than the later ones. Coming from my 701 my girlfriend's 2015 Versys felt smooth and underpowered, coming from my Tracer 900 it feels harsh and underpowered. It's very well built in a tractor-like way, everything about it is sturdy. So it's by no means a light bike, but even so it feels extremely heavy when pushing it around by hand.

They really should update that engine but they won't. At least when you buy a bike with it you can be sure it'll never, ever break.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

I loathe the MT07, particularly how it feels in 1st and 2nd at low revs.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

FBS posted:

180 degree ptwins are just the most boring possible engine, that's all

I even have a weird nostalgia for that sound and feeling because my first bike was a GS500 but I'm sure not in any hurry to buy another one

Same GS500-first-bike-nostalgia here. It was fun! For a season.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a one-time first-gen Versys owner, it’s a bike of contrasts. The chassis, suspension and brakes are all amazing, especially for the price point.

It sticks to the road, handles bumps and gravel roads fantastically and will not have you looking for a Brembo upgrade kit.

That engine though, it’s so terminally boring. It’s just......there, spinning below you so the rear tire can move. That’s it.

I sold mine to get an SV. Despite the SV being a downgrade in the brake and suspension department (the SV chassis is still world class), it’s a much more fun and interesting bike that I actually WANT to ride.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
crossplane ptwin is honestly fuckin great

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
For another underpowered but actually interesting engined bike, I got a few hours to myself on this yesterday. It was my first time on a full sized cruiser, and first time with forward controls. The weight was a handful, and I had to really plan out my corners, but It was a fun change of pace. Amazing weather for riding, too.

The crazy part is how I got the chance in the first place. This guy apparently bought the bike, had it dropped off next to mine almost a year ago, and has never ridden it. He injured himself badly right after he bought it, and still can't get a leg over it. So he flagged me down, chatted me up, and asked if I would go ride it for him. Broke his heart that his baby was basically rotting out here.

So he handed me the keys to this and told me not to worry if I had it out for hours. Just to enjoy it. I checked it over for roadworthiness, aired up the tires, and put 100 miles on it. I have a standing invitation to ride it as much as I'm able for the next couple months until he can ride it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Coydog posted:

For another underpowered but actually interesting engined bike, I got a few hours to myself on this yesterday. It was my first time on a full sized cruiser, and first time with forward controls. The weight was a handful, and I had to really plan out my corners, but It was a fun change of pace. Amazing weather for riding, too.

The crazy part is how I got the chance in the first place. This guy apparently bought the bike, had it dropped off next to mine almost a year ago, and has never ridden it. He injured himself badly right after he bought it, and still can't get a leg over it. So he flagged me down, chatted me up, and asked if I would go ride it for him. Broke his heart that his baby was basically rotting out here.

So he handed me the keys to this and told me not to worry if I had it out for hours. Just to enjoy it. I checked it over for roadworthiness, aired up the tires, and put 100 miles on it. I have a standing invitation to ride it as much as I'm able for the next couple months until he can ride it.

Sorry, but you do realize that this guy is a bike cuckold fetishist and you’re the bull, right? Not kinkshaming though, good for him