Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

A clown cowboy is a clownboy and he goes "yee-honk."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

christmas boots posted:

So Yakub is essentially Black Xenu?

Man, the Blacula spinoffs started getting kinda weird with the later installments

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SiKboy posted:

Stop trying to gatekeep clownness, its not up to you to decide who is clown enough.

Clownface is not ok.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Facebook Aunt posted:

Clownface is not ok.

It's a culture, not a costume *honk honk AWOOOOGA*

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think there's way more people upset about "hoteps" than there are actual humans with those beliefs

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think there's way more people upset about "hoteps" than there are actual humans with those beliefs

This is also true of Scientology

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
And Trumpists.

E: vvvvvvvvv same lol

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 07:33 on Apr 23, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kingo Ligma posted:

This is also true of Scientology

Scientology genuinely does some dangerous poo poo, though apparently they're on the decline now, they bought a bunch of property in England that's all sitting empty.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I mean, hoteps are basically a small group of assholes within the relatively small group that is Black American men, right? Of course it's not gonna be a ton of people, but the ones that do exist become notorious for being terrible to women.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Martman posted:

I mean, hoteps are basically a small group of assholes within the relatively small group that is Black American men, right? Of course it's not gonna be a ton of people, but the ones that do exist become notorious for being terrible to women.

Yeah, they mostly stand out since they're basically an underprivileged group who takes it out making GBS threads on people with even less.

Basically a black-specific equivalent of people like incels and fringe political weirdos.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, they mostly stand out since they're basically an underprivileged group who takes it out making GBS threads on people with even less.

Basically a black-specific equivalent of people like incels and fringe political weirdos.

Hoteps are really just a subset of incels, even if only by convergence instead of direct lineage.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Scientology, Nation of Islam, and Mormonism are basically variations on the same theme.

The last two are wacky sci-fi versions of existing religions with race science asna central theme. Scientology is just pure wacky sci-fi.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

akadajet posted:

I’m really glad the sound isn’t working this time

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Scientology genuinely does some dangerous poo poo, though apparently they're on the decline now, they bought a bunch of property in England that's all sitting empty.
That's just what rich criminals do.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hoteps are really just a subset of incels, even if only by convergence instead of direct lineage.

It would be weird if incels had a direct lineage, after all

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:vegemite: Page sniping, threadshitting, trolling, no caps, catchphrases and being Australian. :vegemite:

Cadmus posted:

hellbastard do your gbs manbabies keep you warm at night and distract you from the fact youre a fat doughy loser who wears black trenchcoats irl?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

EorayMel posted:

:vegemite: Page sniping, threadshitting, trolling, no caps, catchphrases and being Australian. :vegemite:

lol, that's a wild thread

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Free cadmus

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Cadmus was right

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The aughities and early '10s in GBS was what they make fun of reddit and tumblr now.

Tons of insane stdh.txt and totally cringe poo poo that people went nuts for and got super hype.

Probably one of the ur-examples

A thread full of people falling over themselves to praise a gimmick pirate rapper as the best hip hop they've ever heard.
Captain Dan & the Scurvy Crew - From the Seas to the Streets

quote:

The really sad thing is that I can relate to pirates better than I can to real rappers. "Struggles" or not, I don't care much for music about conspicuous consumption, irresponsible drug use, extreme car modifications, and shooting cops.

Somehow, I think claiming you have more in common with 16th century Barbary pirates then with inner city black people is far more of a self-burn then you ever imagined.

The thread is so full of amazing quotes including quite a few people who go "well, I don't like 'rap' music but I gave this a try and you all are wordsmith geniuses, amazing"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Pirates definitely never drank, did drugs or shot at law enforcement. Wouldn't dream of it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

After a while some of the critics get almost as weird and annoying as the fans. It's a real dumpster fire of a thread. Pieces of Hate is really well done though a bit unfortunate at points.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The critics in that thread were dealing with multiple people, in 2009, honestly posting the same borderline racist dismissals of rap that my parents were yelling at me in the early 90s.

Rap and Hip Hop by 2009 had already solidified itself as serious music worthy of academic study no less valid then jazz or rock.

To see people praising a bunch of white boys playing as pirates and co-opting the language of hip hop "flintlock glock" etc. and then casually dismiss the entire field of music would infuriate anyone with even a passing interest in the music.

If anything they couldn't go nearly as hard as the thread deserved or they'd eat bans for 'threadshitting'

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pentyne posted:

The aughities and early '10s in GBS was what they make fun of reddit and tumblr now.

Tons of insane stdh.txt and totally cringe poo poo that people went nuts for and got super hype.

A thread full of people falling over themselves to praise a gimmick pirate rapper as the best hip hop they've ever heard.

Somehow, I think claiming you have more in common with 16th century Barbary pirates then with inner city black people is far more of a self-burn then you ever imagined.

The thread is so full of amazing quotes including quite a few people who go "well, I don't like 'rap' music but I gave this a try and you all are wordsmith geniuses, amazing"

these guys came back recently btw. it didnt go great

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i remember really enjoying captain dan at first, but in retrospect it is GBS/SA/internet as gently caress in that it was an okay gag that broke-brained nerds ran into the ground immediately and beyond repair (myself included, sorry college roommate). i tried to revisit it when it popped up in some thread a while ago and couldn't make it past the first track. i think people would be less harsh on it if it weren't for the fact that there were like 4 albums for a joke that was just barely funny enough for a single. and pentyne is right, the critics even at their most obnoxious were still right to call out the lovely racist aspects surrounding it, and i can't fault them for getting me to pull my head out of my rear end in that respect even if i thought they were being mean at the time.

that said, in the big blowup callout thread with the absolutely abysmal diss tracks on both sides, people made a bunch of rap recommendations which blew my tiny mind, so my ultimate takeaway from the whole experience is that more people should listen to A Tribe Called Quest

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

yeah "very concerned about 'hoteps' guy" often seems more upset about Black people stuff rather than upset at sexist or antisemitic speakers

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

tbh if they had have just said "yeah we're a gimmicky comedy pirate rap act" that would have been fine but apparently they were deadly serious? and then someone in that thread recorded a diss track and instead of just recording one sentence that just said "who the gently caress records a diss track towards a lovely pirate rap act" they went all in on a reply, and oof

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

yeah "very concerned about 'hoteps' guy" often seems more upset about Black people stuff rather than upset at sexist or antisemitic speakers

This is definitely the impression I've gotten

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

This is definitely the impression I've gotten

It's like being really mad about louis farrkhan in 2022.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

CaptainViolence posted:

more people should listen to A Tribe Called Quest

:hai:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

I mean it's the same sexist and antisemitic poo poo as any fascist white nationalist movement, they're just not bombing churches or shooting up nightclubs so point and laugh at the weird dry dicks who think vaginas are haunted or whatever, but on the big list of dangerous hate groups I doubt they'd break the top 500 in the US.

Also you can tell they're not a hate group worth worrying about they're not directly funded by FBI or CIA.

The Anime Liker has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Apr 23, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

tbh if they had have just said "yeah we're a gimmicky comedy pirate rap act" that would have been fine but apparently they were deadly serious? and then someone in that thread recorded a diss track and instead of just recording one sentence that just said "who the gently caress records a diss track towards a lovely pirate rap act" they went all in on a reply, and oof

No, they were amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtUQNxp02mE

"I know you got into this game to pull skirts, but 99% of your fans got wolf shirts" is a loving banger of a line and better then 4 albums full of things like "Chests O' Plenty"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'd say all the pillaging and the killing is the worst part, actually.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

pentyne posted:

No, they were amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtUQNxp02mE

"I know you got into this game to pull skirts, but 99% of your fans got wolf shirts" is a loving banger of a line and better then 4 albums full of things like "Chests O' Plenty"

I do rather like 'yo ho ho and a bottle of gently caress you'

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

I had my music on shuffle not too long ago and it played some rap that must have come from here, but it was a diss track about the pirate rap guys. Don’t even remember downloading the thing. Fun track, though.

Edit: oh crap I’m way behind. Turns out it was Pieces of Hate.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Y'all know there was a black supremacist mass shooting last week right? I honestly don't know how widespread the news was but it happened on the NYC subway so I thought it would be a big deal.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pentyne posted:

No, they were amazing

Parody hip hop crews with fake beef and wacky diss tracks was a bit of a trend at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iRTB-FTMdk

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Parody hip hop crews with fake beef and wacky diss tracks was a bit of a trend at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iRTB-FTMdk
As were pirates.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Can you kiss a lizard on the lips? I didn't think they had lips.

sneakyfrog posted:

i mean that is one way to turn off your monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

rodbeard posted:

Y'all know there was a black supremacist mass shooting last week right? I honestly don't know how widespread the news was but it happened on the NYC subway so I thought it would be a big deal.

only result close to saying this when I googled was Tucker Carlson and the NY Post calling him a "BLM/Antifa identity obsessed killer", idk if I trust that as the best overall description

Douche Wolf 89 has a new favorite as of 15:43 on Apr 24, 2022