Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

xarph posted:

Is it even mathematically possible to crawl out of the death spiral that is sub 500, or should I give up after losing all but one placement match which was a draw?

if your skills are better than sub-500 level, you'll climb out really quickly. if not, you should focus on practicing and getting better, rather than on what exact rank you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
elo hell only exists insofar as every person who whines about where they're ranked in comp absolutely deserves to be where they are

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

xarph posted:

Is it even mathematically possible to crawl out of the death spiral that is sub 500, or should I give up after losing all but one placement match which was a draw?
At this level you literally cannot rely on your teammates for anything. Practice well-rounded, self-sufficient characters, get good and you'll start climbing. Soldier 76 is where I'd start

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

roadhog is also pretty good

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The mantra is "if you're good, you'll climb" but it still relies heavily on luck of the draw. Overwatch, like many games, will simply throw incredibly stupid matches at you and there's nothing you can do to save them single-handedly, so don't get discouraged and just either learn or have fun.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you get better than where you're at you will climb, given enough games.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

5 golds Zenyatta on a match where they just kept silhouetting themselves on the approach to Anubis B. I thanked them for standing where I could lob orbs into heads, and was informed that "he doesn't do headshot damage." I think I have a clue why they lost that match, or maybe they confused me for the Symmetra who got PotG. In which case yes, her orbs STILL get headshots. Edit: at leats I think they do. I could swear I've seen the headshot indicator show up when I lob it through a pack at the right height.

Most Anubis matches are a steamroll for me one way or the other, am I correct in my read of the B point that the center walkway is a trap unless you have a REALLY good way to push (a dva bomb with everyone set up to capitalize), and the trick is to hit them hard from one of the sides?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

novaSphere posted:

The mantra is "if you're good, you'll climb" but it still relies heavily on luck of the draw.
If you play a decent amount of games, not really.

At really low SR you will carry just by being not garbo

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bruceski posted:

5 golds Zenyatta on a match where they just kept silhouetting themselves on the approach to Anubis B. I thanked them for standing where I could lob orbs into heads, and was informed that "he doesn't do headshot damage." I think I have a clue why they lost that match, or maybe they confused me for the Symmetra who got PotG. In which case yes, her orbs STILL get headshots. Edit: at leats I think they do. I could swear I've seen the headshot indicator show up when I lob it through a pack at the right height.

Most Anubis matches are a steamroll for me one way or the other, am I correct in my read of the B point that the center walkway is a trap unless you have a REALLY good way to push (a dva bomb with everyone set up to capitalize), and the trick is to hit them hard from one of the sides?

Symmetra can't get headshots.

Problem with Anubis B is that a good Defense team will know that you have no choice but to try coming through the sides unless you just want to run right up to them through the center, so they'll be on the lookout for it. Or if they've set up turrets, they don't even necessarily have to.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
On a whim I spent the night playing Winston and it was a total blast. He's like what I would use Tracer for only better for someone not as good at twitch gameplay. Just bombing down on their back row and being a pest is very satisfying.

I need to get the rhythm of the jump pack so I do fewer death trades but it was so much fun and surprisingly won all of the matches with him.

Edit: Is there a Winston streamer so I can see what's possible with him?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^Also this is a top-tier post/username combo.

novaSphere posted:

The mantra is "if you're good, you'll climb" but it still relies heavily on luck of the draw.

This isn't even remotely true unless you actually deserve your rank, in which case it still isn't true but relies on you developing the skills to climb instead of waiting around for luck. Sub-500 level is the hanjo leagues, if you genuinely don't belong there you can climb out using attack Symmetra if you really want. Luck is a factor that affects both teams, not just yours, and so on the whole if you're really meant to be at, say, rank 1,500 and you're playing at rank 500 then you will climb your way out regardless of how any one game boils down to a mess because someone left and someone stayed in the spawn all game emoting.

Like sure, there are times you can go on a "lucky streak" where everything seems to click and climbing suddenly feels so easy, but the thing is that unless you can maintain that level of performance over the long haul then you'll gravitate towards your true rank sooner or later, statistical variance will always be with you and so some days you'll have slumps and other days you'll stomp, but on the whole the only thing that really keeps you stuck at a rank is you.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Symmetra can't get headshots.

Does her hit crosshair mark just get bigger if the ball penetrates multiple folks?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I'm not exaggerating when I say about a quarter to a third of my games tonight alone have been affected by trolls, leavers, and things out of my control.

Regardless of the dogma, there's a lot of luck involved in solo queue at mid-level; I'm not saying it's all luck, not even close, but it's something that can't be denied. All I can control are my own actions and learn from my mistakes, and I accept that. It's still tough feeling helpless, watching everything crumble around you, and having to accept that because someone's sour, or still doesn't understand basic concepts of the game

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you deserved a higher rank, you'd have won the other 3/4s and kept climbing regardless.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I do win many of them and then break even or slightly above what I started. Then the cycle repeats the next day. How do I solo carry as Lucio or Zen?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
by being better than the enemy supports on average and thereby winning more than you lose, because there is no higher chance for your teammates to be poo poo than your enemies

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In general the thing you're describing is "I'm at an appropriate rank playing against players of approximately similar skill". If you want to get a higher rank, you should focus on improving your overall play - movement, aim, positioning etc. - rather than trying to "carry" or whatever.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I feel like I'm arguing my actual experience vs. just theory here. I'm by no means an amazing player, but the variance I see at my level is still ridiculous. I'll stop before I poo poo up this thread more; there's two other threads for my comp whining

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^People in the tryhard thread are willing to break down matches and give feedback if you feel like recording any of your games and posting them for critique if you want more particular feedback than generalities, that's one option.

novaSphere posted:

I do win many of them and then break even or slightly above what I started. Then the cycle repeats the next day. How do I solo carry as Lucio or Zen?

IronicDongz posted:

by being better than the enemy supports on average and thereby winning more than you lose, because there is no higher chance for your teammates to be poo poo than your enemies

It's this, but in general at the very, very lowest levels of the game (which sub 500 is most definitely) if you're a deserving higher-rank Zenyatta player then you should especially be able to just fuckin orb the hell out of people all day long because, I mean, while Zenyatta is a very vulnerable character capitalizing on that vulnerability still requires opponents capable of doing so. If you really don't belong there, if your Zenyatta play is meant for greater things, then simply keeping healing orbs on people looking to take damage while discording and orbing people to death and periodically using your ult whenever you hear something really bad coming your team's way ought to do the trick.

I'm not saying this to knock you or anything, it's just that Bacontotem has regularly shown what bronze-tier Overwatch looks like and it's full of people who both can't aim and regularly expose themselves to danger, which is like a Zenyatta paradise assuming that you aren't actually at your appropriate skill level. If you are and you're looking for advice on how to advance your skills then at that level I would really recommend simply working on getting good at fundamentals like aiming and positioning, how to hit what you're shooting at and how to try and not be shot back in return, and if you can get that down then to be honest you probably stand a pretty decent chance of being able to do well at that level even if you're down a person.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

For the record, I'm currently in the 2850s and peaked at ~3290. Placed ~3190. I finished S1 at 64 and S2 at ~3000.

I've been recording my games lately and went back to see what I did wrong, and that helps; when I do come across a game I'd like critiqued, I'll post it up for people to shake their heads at. In the other thread :p

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Won't rank 500 players just get stomped by Pharah all day long? It requires a minimum level of hitscan accuracy to take her down and that seemed pretty rare even when I was around 1500.

I just went through a very large computer upgrade that dramatically improved my ability to aim and I've lost like 1 game out of 10 since then. It's not even that I'm carrying every game, I'm just doing dramatically better than the game thinks I should be so the scales are always tilted in my favour.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 31, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Won't rank 500 players just get stomped by Pharah all day long? It requires a minimum level of hitscan accuracy to take her down and that seemed pretty rare even when I was around 1500.

A rank 500 pharah is probably similarly ineffectual with the slow projectile weapon, tbh

Otherwise yeah, they'd just beat up on everyone and not be rank 500 for long

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Jabor posted:

A rank 500 pharah is probably similarly ineffectual with the slow projectile weapon, tbh

Otherwise yeah, they'd just beat up on everyone and not be rank 500 for long

I think the best people to ask are the hanjo squad on what kind of heroes seem to work with the skillset down there.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you are not an idiot, but are put in idiot hell for reasons beyond your control, statistically the enemy team will have more idiots than your team because they have 6 idiot accessable slots and your team only has 5. It may not be instant but you should rise.

Replace idiot with leaver/troll as appropriate.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Finally finished a set of placement matches and got dropped in silver (1998 or something). Just fought my way into Gold today.

Had the most perfect match last night on Eichenwalde last night. I'm Rein on attack manage to push to the bridge no worries. Then the other team starts falling back, like all 6 of them. so I just slowly wander to the left onto the point and double kill both healers with a single swing. Push all the way into castle before getting my first death. I manage to get back to my team just in time to see the cart slot home.

Then on defense I'm asked to go Rein again and they only tried to push once, with their Rein running through the backline and being slaughtered. I don't think any of us died at all ...

This is much more fun than QP, and surprisingly the people playing are much less salty (so far).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

xarph posted:

Absolutely. While I think the way that placements were handled this season ultimately has made me quit competitive (maybe I'll try again after the winter event but I have not played comp since before it started), the one credit I'll give it is that they delivered on the dev's claim of placing players somewhere they could go up as the season progressed. Wins were worth a ton, and losses (or even close matches) were rare, and then minor setbacks when they happened.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I could only imagine how much fun it would be to play in the sub-500 ranks. It must be like a game of Left4Dead where people just run at you and you mow them down by the half-dozens.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
0-4 in my first placement matches, hell yeah sub-500 here I come.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Dyz posted:

I think the best people to ask are the hanjo squad on what kind of heroes seem to work with the skillset down there.

You don't need to ask, it's easy to imagine. Heroes that rely less on aim to be effective (Symmetra, Junkrat, Torb, etc) and characters with self sustain become more powerful as you go down in SR. A rank 500 McCree isn't gonna be able to hit poo poo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

no. she's ok tho since the 4 tank/2 support lineups need someone to swap off to get a good counter. roadhog and ana can do it but they're not as scary as soldier or mccree are to pharah. the crazy tank bias is pharah's saving grace since it can often crowd her counters out

It's both good and bad for her. There's fewer McCrees and Widowmakers preventing you from having any fun at all, but your ultimate may as well not even exist and you have to fly into some dangerous angles to be able to hit shots reliably on a lot of the tanks.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I'd bet most platinum players could get a <500 account to silver using recon only Bastion. I remember the hanjo crew gaining like 40 points for each win after they lose a dozen in a row for -1. Masteroverwatch has like 50 people below 500 who checked their site, so you are probably talking about actual bottom 500 players territory if you can't breach it.

sleppy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 31, 2016

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you want to get sub 500 you have to be a sub 500 player, or choose to actually just not play the game. Even then, your team might get lucky and win the 5 v 6, which is why Hanjo now Hanjos with friends instead of going solo.

Recon mode Bastion still has a gun, so a platinum player actively trying to play the game in that environment would probably accidentally crush the enemy like a violently sick Reinhardt holding a tiny porcelain teacup.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

If you want to get sub 500 you have to be a sub 500 player, or choose to actually just not play the game. Even then, your team might get lucky and win the 5 v 6, which is why Hanjo now Hanjos with friends instead of going solo.

Seems like picking a tank and repeatedly walking into the enemy to feed ults would be the general strat to get to sub-500?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Do people at that level know how to use ults

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they generally know to hit q

it's e and shift they have trouble with

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
In actual, sub-1000SR games the skies go uncontested, ardvaark pays off and railing kills are order of the day.

A well-played 76 will still drag your SR upwards, given time

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm still terrible, placed at 1530 again hooray :toot: I blame this being my first PC FPS ever

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I'm guessing most low ranked players are using insanely high mouse sensitivities. It was true in CS I imagine it's the same with OW.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm using 1600 DPI with 4 sensitivity. I did remarkably well this go around in terms of my performance, but lost 6 games and tied 2. 2 of those losses were absolutely my fault, but the rest of the games I did fairly well even though we lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I think my mouse sensitivity is at default...what changes should I make?