Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
why yes I’d love to have no antibiotics and the Internet, said nobody ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't even know what the loving point he's trying to make is

A combination of "Stealing the valor of the civil war because you live in a union state" and "unless you rebelled against the flag you can't tell me what it means" It's not racist, you see, because union and confederate black soldiers existed.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The eras I studied the most for my degree were medieval Reconquista-era Aragon and the American suffrage movement and I would not like to live in either

lovely historians posting their L's

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HootTheOwl posted:

A combination of "Stealing the valor of the civil war because you live in a union state" and "unless you rebelled against the flag you can't tell me what it means" It's not racist, you see, because union and confederate black soldiers existed.

That seems positively insane. Especially with the accent rule

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Milo and POTUS posted:

That seems positively insane. Especially with the accent rule

If you have an accent your family must not have been here then so don't call my grand pappi racist

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The eras I studied the most for my degree were medieval Reconquista-era Aragon and the American suffrage movement and I would not like to live in either

VitalSigns posted:

lovely historians posting their L's

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
walked right into that one mate

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

please knock Mom! posted:

Antibiotics are good, but the internet can go gently caress itself

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The eras I studied the most for my degree were medieval Reconquista-era Aragon

this mf studied lord of the rings for his history degree

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What if it’s like a Maine accent? What American doesn’t have an accent?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quotey posted:

this mf studied lord of the rings for his history degree

That’s right

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Milo and POTUS posted:

"Wow, everyone in the entire world thinks the Confederates were racist, traitorous pieces of poo poo and keeps dunking on them. This is an insult to my racist, traitorous pieces of poo poo ancestors and hurts my feelings!"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Milo and POTUS posted:

only white people should be able to talk about stuff, be quiet you uppity brown people

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What if it’s like a Maine accent? What American doesn’t have an accent?

You Know What He Means

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HootTheOwl posted:

If you have an accent your family must not have been here then so don't call my grand pappi racist

Does he think that southern idiots don't have a noticeable accent or is that just his default? Probably the latter I guess

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

No vaccines aka massive child mortality is my favorite part of any historical era.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Orange Devil posted:

No vaccines aka massive child mortality is my favorite part of any historical era.

What if you just really hate kids though

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does he think that southern idiots don't have a noticeable accent or is that just his default? Probably the latter I guess

Oh not that accent
You know the accents he's thinking of.
You know the ones.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Whenever anyone says they'd love to live in any time period pre like the 50s all I can think is 'imagine the smell'

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
in ancient greece it was acceptable to sleep in a wine urn and wank in public if you were a prolific shitposter though

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Ted K has entered the chat

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Jose posted:

What if you just really hate kids though

Then, provided you manage to live through all those diseases and not get too crippled, you'd have an excellent time!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

Then, provided you manage to live through all those diseases and not get too crippled, you'd have an excellent time!

nah, high kid mortality also means really high kid count, it's still worse lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh not that accent
You know the accents he's thinking of.
You know the ones.

Gotcha. You can probably see my confusion

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/RedCharlotte_/status/1439844517650305025?s=20

It's this person v , she's back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAI5Heb9F0U

Red and Black has issued a correction as of 15:00 on Sep 20, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/09/15/up-to-six-million-people-the-unrecorded-fatalities-of-the-war-on-terror/

quote:

Earlier this month, Brown University’s Costs of War project updated its rolling analysis of the number of people killed in direct violence due to the post-9/11 ‘War on Terror’.

It found that just under a million people – between 897,000 and 929,000 – were killed directly due to violence across five theatres of war involving significant US and Western military involvement: Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Syria and Yemen.

These numbers have been widely reported as proving that around one million people have been killed in post-9/11 wars. Yet, they are extremely conservative figures.

The real death toll is far, far higher – a fact that has not been properly reported in media reports.

The most accurate way to calculate the scale of total deaths would be through epidemiological surveys to determine ‘excess deaths’ by comparing pre-war and post-war mortality rates, which would encompass both direct and indirect deaths.

However, in many of these countries, the infrastructure to monitor and collect the relevant data does not exist or is very hard to obtain, which is why such surveys are rare.

In the absence of epidemiological analysis, it is still possible to develop a clear sense of the minimum likely scale of indirect deaths.

Last September, when commenting on an earlier version of the project’s findings, Costs of War report co-author Professor Catherine Lutz pointed out that “one has to multiply that direct death number… by an estimated two to four times to get to the total number of people – in the millions – who are dead today who would not have been dead had the wars not been fought”. But even this approach is likely to produce an under-count.

According to a landmark report by the Geneva Declaration on Armed Violence and Development – signed by 113 governments – in “the majority of conflicts since the early 1990s, for which good data is available, the burden of indirect deaths was between three and 15 times the number of direct deaths”.

The report found that, due to the impact of conflicts on public services and infrastructure, vastly greater numbers of people end up dying indirectly from the consequences of violence compared to the number that die directly from conflict.

The range varies based on different factors such as the levels of economic development in a country before a war, the duration of fighting, the intensity of combat, the population’s access to basic care and services, and the success of humanitarian relief efforts.

The more intense the fighting and the more degraded the level of infrastructure, the higher the number of indirect deaths.

The report concluded that “a reasonable average estimate would be a ratio of four indirect deaths to one direct death in contemporary conflicts”.

However, it should be noted that this ratio is a minimum average that is likely to be extremely conservative in relation to the impact of Western-backed military interventions. For instance, six months after the bombing campaign in Afghanistan in 2001, data assessed by the Guardian revealed that, although between 1,300 and 1,800 Afghans were killed directly, as many as 20,000 and possibly as high as 49,600 people had died due to the indirect consequences of the military intervention. In this case, the total number of indirect deaths was at least 15 times higher than direct deaths.

If that higher, empirically-substantiated ratio was applied to the Costs of War direct death figures in Afghanistan since 9/11 (176,000 people), it would imply 2,640,000 indirect deaths in that country to date, which would suggest that in just one country a total of about 2.8 million Afghans have been killed due to the War on Terror.

This scale of violence has been corroborated by one other assessment of avoidable mortality in Afghanistan by retired La Trobe University biochemist Dr Gideon Polya. His book, Body Count: Global Avoidable Mortality Since 1950, put total excess deaths of Afghans since 2001 at three million

Serf
May 5, 2011

lmao "pedophilia is permissible in that context" what the gently caress

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

lmao "pedophilia is permissible in that context" what the gently caress

it's their culture! stop doing an imperialism!!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Jesus christ

would CLEARLY support our noble endeavors

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tbh i would be happy with no internet, as-is i'm wasting tons of time i could be using to actually learn and enjoy stuff in favour of the mental equivalent of fast food to which i'm hopelessly addicted

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Have you met anarcho primitivists?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i suspect some historians would like to live in their period of specialty to learn some things that are impossible to know in modern times due to a lack of evidence. but not becaues things were better.

however on the other hand it would be nice to live in an era without the threat of climate change looming over us so its impossible to say if hte past is good or not.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

lobster shirt posted:

i suspect some historians would like to live in their period of specialty to learn some things that are impossible to know in modern times due to a lack of evidence. but not becaues things were better.
if they get to go back they better take real good notes on, and this is important, something they can bury without it rotting

ideally in a way we can actually find it later :colbert:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

lobster shirt posted:

however on the other hand it would be nice to live in an era without the threat of climate change looming over us so its impossible to say if hte past is good or not.
Any historian would also say "live as whom in that period?" The sort of conservatives who think "Oh, the 1950s were so great," not only are ignoring the constant drumbeat of death-by-nukes, they are also assuming they'd have been white, Christian, and at least middle-class. (Straight and cis go without saying.)

I was wondering about this while going to sleep last night: Isn't the W in WASP redundant? If you're the racist definition of Anglo-Saxon, you're inexorably white.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

if they get to go back they better take real good notes on, and this is important, something they can bury without it rotting

ideally in a way we can actually find it later :colbert:
"Oh, poo poo, turns out that particular French churchyard was shelled to sand in WWI."

Arsenic Lupin has issued a correction as of 17:45 on Sep 20, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Quote continues, inexplicably, to refuse to be edit.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
It would be nice to VISIT the past, but being stuck there would succccccccccck

Serf
May 5, 2011

i remember one time in college we were all discussing what historical period we would have rather lived in and eventually my buddy was like "i'm black, why the gently caress would i want to live in the past?"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Think of WASP as a checklist. You can't just be White to get into this club, you have to be specifically Anglo-Saxon. And you can't just be Anglo-Saxon to climb this ladder, you have to also be Protestant.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was wondering about this while going to sleep last night: Isn't the W in WASP redundant? If you're the racist definition of Anglo-Saxon, you're inexorably white.
The W is for the acronym, though I feel like ASP would work just as well. Some dude did use the W for wealthy though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

ASP is probably more befitting an acronym and excising the w might win over some of the halfwits with a persecution complex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

i remember one time in college we were all discussing what historical period we would have rather lived in and eventually my buddy was like "i'm black, why the gently caress would i want to live in the past?"

lol yeah this is extremely true. If I were literally born any earlier I'd be living under a far-right dictatorship, and a little more than that and I'd still be in an imperial colony