Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I can't imagine spending days of my life practicing one goddamn map of Sunder to clear it without taking damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So I picked up Wolf3D for a while recently and the thought that ran through my head was what the gently caress is up with mutants. Holy poo poo those are the worst enemies in basically any game I've played. Completely silent until they start emptying bullets into you and if they're close enough and you're unlock enough, straight up merking you from 100% before you can blink. I mean, wolfenstein combat is pretty rocket taggy anyway but I'm not feeling finishing that game if mutants are going to keep showing up past the second episode.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

They're not.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iF3GPQpjMY

Yeah, that seems about right.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Gibbed by a moving door?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

What a rotten way to die.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Gibbed by a moving door?

That's happened to me more than once.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Build, for some reason, just murders you if you overlap something even slightly, rather than doing the sane thing and pushing you out of it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Apparently it's very easy to accidentally kill yourself in Duke 3D by wedging yourself into corners and doors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKAFWfXy5vU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RyokoTK posted:

I can't imagine spending days of my life practicing one goddamn map of Sunder to clear it without taking damage.

At least not without saving and reloading every two seconds.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Keiya posted:

Build, for some reason, just murders you if you overlap something even slightly, rather than doing the sane thing and pushing you out of it.

I think it does but it follows the Skyrim law of physics where you're pushed at maximum velocity.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

This is incredibly impressive. Consider me Sunderstruck.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Glagha posted:

So I picked up Wolf3D for a while recently and the thought that ran through my head was what the gently caress is up with mutants. Holy poo poo those are the worst enemies in basically any game I've played. Completely silent until they start emptying bullets into you and if they're close enough and you're unlock enough, straight up merking you from 100% before you can blink. I mean, wolfenstein combat is pretty rocket taggy anyway but I'm not feeling finishing that game if mutants are going to keep showing up past the second episode.

Mutants are much easier to deal with if you keep them at a distance. You will need more ammo but they will be less likely to fire and their shots will do less damage. They do suck though, and while they disappear after episode 2 in Wolfenstein 3D, they stick around until the end of the game in Spear of Destiny.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

al-azad posted:

I think it does but it follows the Skyrim law of physics where you're pushed at maximum velocity.

That wouldn't kill you alone as fall damage only exists for one angle (height). I also think that concept is a wee bit newer than Build.
Instead what is more likely happening is a two fold issue; the world kills you by force if you have no sector (the brute force solution to the engines questionable sector lookup), and it's actually very easy to the pushed into a moving sector (either that or the door is somehow pushing you out?).
Granted it's Build, where E4L1 has a door that folds in on itself if it gets blocked strangely even though sectors are rigid by concept, so honestly who knows.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 26, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Jblade posted:

Try renaming the GAME.CON to something else and then adding -x *conname*.CON to a shortcut to Eduke32 (or adding that to the shortcut you're using to launch the mod)

Yeah, making that shortcut did the trick, thanks a lot. It's weird how eDuke32 doesn't load up .con files in mods by default.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzUzovxiIK4

#JustSwingingDoorThings

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

#JustSwingingDoorThings
It knows what slanders I have committed against its kind.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Decided I'd have some fun with the golden weapons idea I posted about earlier.

http://puu.sh/rotXy/4c5678116f.webm

Now each map will have a weird eye thingy that will teleport you to a tough arena fight that starts when you pick up the golden weapon. I haven't implemented the weapons themselves yet, that's the next step. It's gonna be fun making all kinds of crazy mindfuck-y geometry for these arenas.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Haha, they got Stan Bush to write a song for Shadow Warrior 2.
https://twitter.com/ShadowWarrior/status/780394169558786048

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG8Lb9G7ul8

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Holy drat, those demons and my eyes :eyepop:

Also I'll never get tired of posting this :f5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX3r_M6_e30

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Wow it's a different "port" from this one.

Those pinkies look fantastic.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Wamdoodle posted:

Holy drat, those demons and my eyes :eyepop:

Also I'll never get tired of posting this :f5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX3r_M6_e30

i installed d-gles on my moto x and it straight up runs worse than darkplaces with full dynamic lighting. i mean it looks good but its not uh, really functional on android honestly.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Extraordinary.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Glagha posted:

Apparently it's very easy to accidentally kill yourself in Duke 3D by wedging yourself into corners and doors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKAFWfXy5vU

Hail to the king baby

*Crawls under blast door and splatters apart*

Unh, dammit

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Shoehead posted:

Oh my God the last 3-5 levels of Scythe2 are loving insane

quote:

when you start playing a gorgeous levelset and it turns into a slaughterwad

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

*kisses my fingers like a chef* bellisima

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
"Slaughterwads make me want to be dead."

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

hack and fraud your guts

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I know this feeling all too well.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

This was me as I finally decided to hit IDDQD after having to fight another pair of giant skull tank cyberdemons

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That Pinky's seen some poo poo.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Every amateur Unreal Engine 4 developer uses the same lighting style of screaming arc-lamp highlights, inky Doom 3 shadows, and Vaseline smeared over every single surface. I wonder if aspiring shootmans developers should have to start with Id Tech 2 or UE1 and work their way up through more advanced engines in chronological order so they can understand the basics of how lighting and textures are supposed to work before trying anything fancy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Aspiring shootmans developers should start with Doom Builder. Everyone should start with Doom Builder. Everyone make Doom levels.

edit: speaking of, I have entered the mystifying and incredibly frustrating world of making furniture with Doom assets

It's going... I mean, it's going okay I guess.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 27, 2016

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I love that they apparently couldn't get the shotgun to work properly, so it just fires 7 bullets really fast.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nobody has to know that these pillows are made from a stone texture and would therefore be extremely uncomfortable. As long as they look like pillows it can just be my little secret.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Why isn't there a Doom furniture texture set?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Why isn't there a Doom furniture texture set?

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

C.M. Kruger posted:

I love that they apparently couldn't get the shotgun to work properly, so it just fires 7 bullets really fast.

IT DOES WHAT?!

Edit: My b I read threads backwards so I thought you were talking about original Doom v:v:v

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's ok, that's what I had to do to make the rifle in my weapon pack have piercing bullets. It fires 5 bullets in one trigger press with 0 spread, so they all go to the exact same spot and appear to pierce through enemies if one is killed.