Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

nachos posted:

Kids can’t drink alcohol to wind down after a hard day so they scream instead

I do both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

G-Spot Run posted:

Ban all talk of sleep. Someone asks you "How are they sleeping?" Awful. The child never sleeps. I don't want to talk about it. They don't. It's the Development That Must Not Be Named. Just like shoplifting food: Did you just see that child sleep? No, you didn't.

Only when the conversation around the topic ceases is there any glimmer of hope that the bastard child will find peace.

I don't know how I would've handle it if 2024 me told early 2023 me that our 18mo son would still have some night time wake-ups. I'm also not sure 2022 me would've understood my decision to buy a king sized bed instead of sleep train, but here we are. He does start his night in his crib, but is brought into the bed partway through the night. We're also still rocking him to sleep and it takes an hour after bath time and books. I'd push to wean him off that, but I suspect I'll miss it someday.

Today was his very first day of preschool in a half-day, 3 day a week program. Program runs from 18 months to 5 years, but all the kids I saw at pick-up/drop-off looked 2-3. He seemed calm, but confused when I handed him off to the teacher. Drop-off happened really quickly with the teacher/director, she just immediately took him and started talking to him. The teacher said he didn't cry or anything until close to pick-up time, which is around his usual nap time. She said, when I asked, that he had to be redirected a few times during group activities because he would just wander off and do his own thing, and that he did try to leave a few times, but her tone made it sound like both things were very minor issues and not surprising so that was good. We were worried because he is such a runner/wanderer during every library story time we attend or playground we visit and this program has a schedule and some older kids. He ate the bulk of his snacks and lunch too, so that's supposed to be a good sign as well. Hoping things stay positive. This preschool has been around for a decade and both teachers (it's a tiny one-classroom school) have years of experience, so we have felt pretty good going into this.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

lifg posted:

I’ve found that sleeping is illogical. I can’t make seemingly logical statements like, “if I wake them up earlier in the morning then they’ll go to sleep earlier at night.” Hell, I can’t even say, “if my kid is tired then they’ll sleep.” I don’t know that kids connect the problem of being tired with the solution of sleep. Sometimes the solution is to scream about it.

Sleep logic defies our puny attempts at a rational understanding of the universe. Somehow for the last five years we have been trapped on this horrible Escher staircase where every change in daylight saving time moves bedtime an hour later. Spring forward, fall back, doesn't matter--bedtime is later.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

yes, they slept very well. From 2 to 6 pm. Now they are gonna be up until 1 am bouncing off the walls while I can feel the rings starting to form under my eyes

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Muir posted:

Our first kid (almost 6 years old) sleeps pretty well and has since sleep training as a baby. Our second kid (3 years old) has never slept well, my wife didn't want to sleep train him, and now at least since he turned ~2.5 he's slept through the night instead of waking up several times every night, but somehow ends up in our bed between midnight at 3 am every night. Let me be your cautionary tale and please do sleep train your baby.

Relatedly, any tips on how to get a 3 year old to stay in his own drat bed all night are welcome.

Lock the door.

We had to do it with our three year old. There were a couple nights where he banged on the door, several where he just stayed up all night in his room pacing. Eventually he figured it out and just stayed asleep the entire night and stopped trying to wake up and get out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

EVG posted:

Swaddle those arms up

he rolls so as far as I know we're not supposed to

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
All Spring Break where me and 3 year old are both on break: kid wakes up hella early

Next week back to work and school: kid sleeps in with ease

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My son: can you get the blue ball under the couch?

Me, cleaning up innumerable toys: :negative:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Do any of you have your kids on different floors than you and if so has it been ok? Any safety concerns?

Our 3 year old and 1 year old currently share a room, but we think we are going to have to give them both different bed times in the very near future and it would be best if they were in separate rooms. That would mean the 3 year old is on the 3rd floor, and then the 1 year old is in a room on the 2nd floor and our room is also on the 2nd floor.

We’ve been hesitant to move the 3 year old upstairs mostly for safety reasons. Worried about them getting trapped up there or falling down the stairs if they try to use them on their own while sleepy or things like that. Are we just being paranoid and this is actually fine or should we not think about doing this until the kid is older?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Honestly I think a three year old is capable of handling the stairs, or at least I would trust my three year old in that situation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Can’t you gate the stairs if you’re worried about that?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Install a slide.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Can’t you gate the stairs if you’re worried about that?

I’m worried about her falling down the stairs, my wife is worried about our kid getting trapped up there by herself if there is a gate. It’s kind of an impasse.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

nesbit37 posted:

I’m worried about her falling down the stairs, my wife is worried about our kid getting trapped up there by herself if there is a gate. It’s kind of an impasse.

When my partner and I were worried about this we came down on the side of "falls are more dangerous than feelings." What might help, if your house allows for it, is a gate that your kid knows how to open but would be difficult/impossible to operate while asleep. That way she can get to you if she needs you and you'd have the peace of mind that she's not going to sleepwalk her way downstairs.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Our bedroom is on the third floor but both kids' rooms are on the second. We have a gate on the stairs going down to the first floor and a child proof lock on the 2.5 year old's door. The baby will get one of those once she's figured out opening doors too. That's worked pretty well for us in terms of keeping them safe. I was a little worried about having to deal with the door lock in an emergency, since we have lever style handles and a bunch of them seemed to be overly complicated, but we got one that can just block the handle from being pulled down. I figure by the time she has the height, strength, and comprehension to push up on the door handle, she'll also be old enough that having her able to leave her room on her own will be less of an issue.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Kids pick the weirdest loving battles.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Brawnfire posted:

Kids pick the weirdest loving battles.

So do parents honestly. My wife gets insanely triggered when our 4 year old wants to wear the same rotation of 4-5 dresses every week. Just... stop buying clothes and save the money?

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Yeah picking battles is a struggle for all parents I think. Sometimes you just gotta hold your ground with these little terrorists though. Show no weakness.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

nesbit37 posted:

Do any of you have your kids on different floors than you and if so has it been ok? Any safety concerns?

Our 3 year old and 1 year old currently share a room, but we think we are going to have to give them both different bed times in the very near future and it would be best if they were in separate rooms. That would mean the 3 year old is on the 3rd floor, and then the 1 year old is in a room on the 2nd floor and our room is also on the 2nd floor.

We’ve been hesitant to move the 3 year old upstairs mostly for safety reasons. Worried about them getting trapped up there or falling down the stairs if they try to use them on their own while sleepy or things like that. Are we just being paranoid and this is actually fine or should we not think about doing this until the kid is older?

Our house has the master on the first floor, and the kids (4 and 2) have the second floor to themselves with a playroom. Safety hasn’t been a big concern. We have a gate at the top of the stairs for nighttime wandering safety, and to delay them coming downstairs (4yo can open it, 2yo can’t).

This arrangement has been great for us. Nobody comes to my and my wife’s room in the middle of the night, the kids have a whole floor to have as their own space, we get a bit more privacy. Both kids have video monitors, and we have an audio monitor in the bathroom.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I put on Wish just for background noise.

My son has loudly declared about 6 times so far that he doesn't want to watch this movie, gave me permission to watch it, then went back to watching it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Now he's dancing to one of the songs.

But he still doesn't want to watch it. But we're leaving it on for daddy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nesbit37 posted:

Isn't the goal to trap them up there?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
How do you teach kids to use less toilet paper? Ours is learning to wipe herself (or her front at least) and is pretty good at counting out a small number of squares when we're present but on her own will just pull and pull and pull and pull the roll forever until she gets a giant clog-worthy wad.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
Me, 20s: WOOO gently caress YEAH SPRING BREAK!!!
Me, 30s: WOOO gently caress SPRING BREAK!!!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter has been doing multiplication problems this whole break.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Children are the original multiplication problem

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Last night, our daughter came into our room and woke us up saying she had a nightmare. I asked her what it was about. "We were at dinner, and I went to the bathroom. When I came back, a stick was in my chair, and it wouldn't get up. Then I woke up."

I had to suppress a laugh. Dreams are weird.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh man, my daughter was telling me about a dream where she "was there but it wasn't [her]." And she was apparently trying to tell us it wasn't her but "she" wasn't able to control "herself" in the dream.

Creeped me out.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
My kid (3.5) told me recently about how whenever we ask about his dreams and he tells us that he doesn't remember that it really means that he had a dream about the Golden Gate Bridge. I asked what those dreams are like and he said "I don't want to tell you." Why you gonna tease me like that

We live in nowhere near California but dude loves his landmarks lol

Rufio fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 4, 2024

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Isn't the goal to trap them up there?

Sort of, but not entirely. We still want to make sure they can get to us if they really need to, and want to make sure they aren't trapped if there is a fire or something. Our 3 year old hasn't been a problem at night so far, she mostly just stays in her room and only occasionally cries out for one of us for innocuous reasons. She did just start opening doors on her own last week though...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I do not have a child of this size but I figure that "stand at the gate and yell" would work just fine if they actually need you. And expecting a toddler to save themselves in a fire seems unlikely - both that they would actually need to, and that they would be capable of doing so assuming you didn't have a gate in place.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

And expecting a toddler to save themselves in a fire seems unlikely - both that they would actually need to, and that they would be capable of doing so assuming you didn't have a gate in place.

QFT. If they’re too little to climb a childproof gate, they’re too little to be evacuating a burning house on their own. Tell your wife she’s wrong, you have the word of two people from the internet.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Aside from keeping public social media posting about a child's identity/details to a minimum, has anybody else done anything additionally to protect a child's credit/identity? I'm talking about freezing credit, etc. I know it's overkill but I recently excommunicated a family member from any family photos because he kept posting them on his very public facebook profile and just thinking about otherwise to keep my kid safe.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I do not have a child of this size but I figure that "stand at the gate and yell" would work just fine if they actually need you. And expecting a toddler to save themselves in a fire seems unlikely - both that they would actually need to, and that they would be capable of doing so assuming you didn't have a gate in place.

I can say that both of my kids are very competent at yelling DAAAAADDDYYY at the top of their lungs when anything is wrong (or just “is”) so I can hear downstairs. Strangely not as skilled at MOMMMMYYY.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

adnam posted:

Aside from keeping public social media posting about a child's identity/details to a minimum, has anybody else done anything additionally to protect a child's credit/identity? I'm talking about freezing credit, etc. I know it's overkill but I recently excommunicated a family member from any family photos because he kept posting them on his very public facebook profile and just thinking about otherwise to keep my kid safe.

Not much, but I feel you on the social media pictures. A relative wants to visit us and meet the kids and a major point of hesitation on our end is the fact we don’t trust them to not blast a 50 picture album of random candids to their public Facebook without asking us.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

adnam posted:

Ugh that reminds me, with the United health care issues, and whatnot I need to freeze my kids credit. 🙁

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My grandma died (she was 99 and in ill health for the last few years), and we went on our first out of town trip with the kids. It wasn’t too far, just a three hour car ride, which was fine, but the hotel stay was a bit of a nightmare when it came to bedtime. They were already over tired from dinner at a restaurant and going to the pool after, so my 2yo was extremely fussy and had to be carried and rocked to sleep, and my almost 5yo just laid there with her eyes open until almost 10:30pm. Then the 2yo was up every 30 minutes, sitting up, saying “Mama?” In his sweet little voice until I came over and patted him to sleep, then finally at 1:30 I crawled in the bed with the kids since I hadn’t fallen asleep yet. I got maybe two hours of sleep.

Long story short I thought they would be psyched about having a queen bed to themselves, and I would have enjoyed a separate bed, but I should have trusted my gut and just got the one king bed since we all ended up together anyway.

They actually did pretty good at the funeral, apart from my son having his dinosaur bite his nose and yelling out “oooh nooo monster got me!!!” during the ceremony. There was a big empty room that they literally ran circles around right before they had to sit, thankfully.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Our kid was a dream sleeper (probably slept through the night completely 4-5 nights of the week, 3 on bad weeks) until we recently came back from a Japan trip when everything got hosed up. Now he’s up for 3 hours from 12-3 every night wide awake and we’re trapped in cycles of screaming/soothing. This loving suuuucks so much worse than the first time we did sleep training

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Scene: early morning.

3yo: “Mommy, wake up, I have the cat’s toy!”

*hands my wife a dead mouse*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.
Newborn projectile pooped while dad was changing his already poopy diaper. Dad dodged it, and now it’s all over my rug instead.