Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Forums Terrorist posted:

I'd take the defence job, gently caress being paid in lottery tickets.

Starting salary for those defense jobs is quite low for software engineers on the order of 50k (I know because I keep getting the recruiter emails). The "best" software folks have jobs at google and the like where their total compensation packages START around 200k. (On the order of 130 base, 30k bonus, 50k in stock - not options, stock)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Forums Terrorist posted:

I'd take the defence job, gently caress being paid in lottery tickets.

Also gently caress startup ideas of working hours.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I like Flag exercises because it's about 6-7 hours of work for me then lots of drinking

Cope North was cool because it felt like Independence Day what with all the foreign crews and I was usually snorkeling by 2 PM.

bloops fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 10, 2017

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Starting salary for those defense jobs is quite low for software engineers on the order of 50k (I know because I keep getting the recruiter emails). The "best" software folks have jobs at google and the like where their total compensation packages START around 200k. (On the order of 130 base, 30k bonus, 50k in stock - not options, stock)

Isn't that below the poverty line in SF though?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CarForumPoster posted:

Given the types of people I met in silicon valley and in engineering school elsewhere I have a feeling its hard for the defense industry to hire a huge number of really good software engineers. They tended to be either 1) liberal/anti violence and/or 2) have family still living overseas that would likely preclude them from that sort of work. Couple that with the high wages they can earn elsewhere and you've got a lot of challenges with who you can get to do something that hasn't really been done before.

Sorry but sensor data fusion has been done before. Not by US companies, though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BadgerMan45 posted:

It's a solid "middle class" life style that you'd get with 100k in the Midwest. I have no idea what people do with low 5 figure salaries in the Bay Area.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Die in a fire?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Die in a fire?

To be clear, the fire in their slum level tenement housing. Or possibly in the unsafe POS automobile that they use to commute 2.5 hours each way every day that's all they can afford after supporting an 800k mortgage for their tenement housing way out in the boonies.

San Fran is nice to visit but gently caress trying to live & work there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If you know the right people it's possible to get rooms in town for less than 1k due to rent control. My buddy currently has a nice place with a shared kitchen/bathroom on Haight St.
Not easy for newcomers though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

They really need to go full Tokyo and just start building into the bay.

Or go the other route and start housing interns in off shore container ships.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Cyrano4747 posted:

They're already doing this.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauriewinkless/2016/12/05/the-sinking-tower-of-san-francisco/#35925ea5bab0

quote:

Like every other structure in that area of the city, the Millennium Tower was constructed on land reclaimed from the Bay, which is mostly composed of compacted sand, rather than a solid bedrock.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

holocaust bloopers posted:

They're absolutely not. Each plane is inspected to ensure all equipment on board meets treaty requirements, can be bought by any treaty partner, and all data is freely available to everyone.

Sssh, they fly over looking into nuke silos, that's James Bond enough for me

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Good job San Fran isn't prone to earthquakes or anything that would make building on unstable foundations a bad idea right

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MikeCrotch posted:

Good job San Fran isn't prone to earthquakes or anything that would make building on unstable foundations a bad idea right

Lucky that Tokyo doesn't have seismic issues either!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lucky that Tokyo doesn't have seismic issues either!

Please don't fat-shame Godzilla.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Please don't fat-shame Godzilla.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Regarding software engineers in defense, it's true you're not getting the Silicon Valley rockstars, but then again a lot of those companies aren't based there and so don't have to pay SV rates either. (Although DC cost of living can be pretty high too) Also since it is pretty process heavy, I'd say you don't need rockstar programmers for the bulk of the work. The places where you're using stuff like Ada are pretty limited and aren't really representative of the whole of DoD software engineering needs. I mean, it's not like there are tons of places doing stuff like writing avionics software. The vast majority of defense software is stuff like personnel systems, and a whole of that is assembling off the shelf stuff together, not writing custom code.

That isn't to say things are great, I'd say DoD software engineering is a dumpster fire in general compared to the rest of the industry. A lot of the 'process' is outdated, and there are very few software engineers that actually work for the government as civil servants. Since most of your programmers are contractors and the DoD program managers don't understand what the contractors are actually doing, they tend to take whatever they get and it's hard for them to push back for issues like software quality. I have met a few smart engineers that work for the govt but they are few and far between and projects suffer for it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BadgerMan45 posted:

I meant it sorta realivistically, but yes. Its hard to save money even with no debt and $100k/yr. You will not own a home. Compare that to where I live now and I easily saved for a down payment on a 2500 sq ft home in a good area in ~2 years.

hobbesmaster posted:

I can say that someone mid career (Bachelors + 5-10 yrs experience) in that role should be making $120-140k in an average cost of living area.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've been playing Deus Ex: Human revolution, and what San Francisco needs is a Froof build out over the water

(don't build it over an existing city, though - a contractor drops and wrench and BOOM - liability lawsuit. Also, as a giant-rear end table you build a city on, you' wouldn't have to worry about global warming!!)

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

WRT #3, AMRAAMS, sure but I am still unconvinced that a helical magazine containing 777 filled with cruise missiles of varying types isn't a practical weapon.

I choose to interpret this as a helical magazine containing 777's filled with cruise missiles of varying types.

As in, a magazine of 777's

I have no idea how it would work or how big it would be or what would deploy it, but I love it.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

CarForumPoster posted:

Given the types of people I met in silicon valley and in engineering school elsewhere I have a feeling its hard for the defense industry to hire a huge number of really good software engineers. They tended to be either 1) liberal/anti violence and/or 2) have family still living overseas that would likely preclude them from that sort of work. Couple that with the high wages they can earn elsewhere and you've got a lot of challenges with who you can get to do something that hasn't really been done before.

Libertarian was more common than liberal at my school. This is far from universal, but my experience went: Engineering students were conservative, business students were Republican (as a subset of conservative), liberal arts were liberal, computer science kids were libertarian, fine arts were...just weird.

hobbesmaster posted:

Those jobs have a lot longer hours. I get paid way less than I could at google or amazon or whatever (though still more than at a defense contractor lol) because I took a 40 hour/week job.

A decent number of my friends wound up and defense contractors; I think y'all are understating the draw of them for CS grads.

Also I almost never hear "cyber" outside of a government/contractor context.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

gently caress an aircraft carrier, let's buy a retired cruise ship and rent out cabins to 2000+ brogrammers for 5k/mo each

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The B-1R making GBS threads out tons of AMRAAM D-models makes a modicum of sense for two reasons: it can infiltrate a theater quickly, saturate it with AAMs, and then GTFO faster than anything currently flying can pursue it at. A 777 can't run and has the RCS of the Capitol building, and if you're facing an aggressor that can put 50-100+ combat-ready third-gen or better aircraft up that a carrier air wing or AEGIS screen can't dispatch on their own, we've probably got bigger problems as most of those nations have ICBMs.

I'd love to see the B-1R fly as well, since I've always thought the Bone is one of the most beautiful planes ever built, but it's a solution for a non-existent problem.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Godholio posted:

I watched an F-15 squadron commander, a guy who'd flown against enemy fighters, lock up a friendly

quote:

For the record, I got called out in the mass debrief by that guy for saving him from causing a frat and directive targeting him to an actual adversary. The first and only time an Eagle driver was ever happy about directive targeting from C2.

Apologies if I'm asking questions which you're not allowed to answer, but: what is the causal relationship here? I assume we don't have data links back from the F-15s to the AWACS that report what the F-15s are locking up, if that exists I'd imagine it'd be on more modern planes? Are the pilots reporting what they're about to do/asking for permission before firing, did you just see that he happened to be heading straight for some friendlies, or was it just a coincidence that you happened to tell him where the friendlies and bandits were in the area when he was about to mess up?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I admittedly saw this story on foxtrot alpha, but it directs back to a defense daily story - "More than half of the US Navy's fighter jets can't fly."

TL;DR the inability of government during the Obama administration to agree on a budget has had some effects

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

TL;DR the inability of government during the Obama administration to agree on a budget has had some effects

The entire congress should be hung one by one from lampposts in front of the capitol from the top of the seniority list on down at ten minute intervals until they agree on a budget.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

MrYenko posted:

The entire congress should be hung one by one from lampposts in front of the capitol from the top of the seniority list on down at ten minute intervals until they agree on a budget.

It wasn't congress that couldn't agree on a budget.

e: btw in the present political environment, I don't think Congress is a good focus for your ire.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MrYenko posted:

The entire congress should be hung one by one from lampposts in front of the capitol from the top of the seniority list on down at ten minute intervals

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrYenko posted:

I will admit governance by a well meaning 17 year old girl, her three pet dragons, and her ex-slave army sounds appealing at this point

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

I will admit governance by a well meaning 17 year old girl, her three pet dragons, and her ex-slave army sounds appealing at this point

The marines have been training for this for years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62tnJtLBQzQ

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

The beauty and the beast?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

WE CANNOT AFFORD A NUCLEAR DIRIGIBLE GAP

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

MrYenko posted:

WE CANNOT AFFORD A NUCLEAR DIRIGIBLE GAP

Literally, the first sentence of the article:
"The Russians are now challenging the United States in dirigible and aerospace balloon technology."

e: Popular Aviation

joat mon fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 11, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
This has to be Popular Mechanics, right?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheFluff posted:

The beauty and the beast?

That's not a nice thing to call the Gripen - it *tries*, you know.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That's not a nice thing to call the Gripen - it *tries*, you know.

I like my planes thiccccccc

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

joat mon posted:

Literally, the first sentence of the article:
"The Russians are now challenging the United States in dirigible and aerospace balloon technology."

e: Popular Aviation

I'm the dirigible/submersible combo

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

I like my planes thiccccccc

Yeah - it's like a super-thin supermodel standing next to Sofia Vergara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah - it's like a super-thin supermodel standing next to Sofia Vergara.

An apt comparison.

Mortabis posted:

Libertarian was more common than liberal at my school. This is far from universal, but my experience went: Engineering students were conservative, business students were Republican (as a subset of conservative), liberal arts were liberal, computer science kids were libertarian, fine arts were...just weird.

In engineers in general yes but, at least at my school, the college of CS was far more liberal than mechanical/aero for example.