Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

Finally got around to finishing off my first Gundam - 1/48 mega-size Age-1. Base coats were done about 3 months ago, just got it together to do the top coats this week. Stood next to WIP Siren Neptune for an idea of scale.

I made a ton of basic mistakes in the paint process, and with the benefit of hindsight I would absolutely re-scribe the panel lines if I was doing this again. There are a bunch of weirdnesses about the arms and the practicality of holding either the shield or beam rifle, neither fit in place quite right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Pierson posted:

That one rocks, reminds me of the Gerbera-Tetra.

That's because it's a Kampfer with Gerbera Tetra pieces stapled onto it. I appreciate that there's a Kampfer that thinks running and gunning is good too.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1621420750749171712

Aerial is no longer baby and desires power. Looks nice but will definitely be keeping the GUND-bits either attached or in cannon-mode because eeeeeh you can just flat-out see the connectors on a few in detached mode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're looking for something to get people hooked on plastic crack, if not yourself, HLJ's got a neat bundle right now. All three Entry-Grade kits, a set of Gundam Markers, and Bandai's Entry Nipper for $40AUD with "Cheap Shipping".

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lol get hosed if you don't live in australia

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Suletta make Spaghetta with da slappa

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I think this is that kit,

https://www.hlj.com/1-144-scale-mobile-suit-gundam-the-witch-from-mercury-hg-gundam-aerial-modified-type-bans65096

Whatever it is, a friend and I have a couple in my PW.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're looking for something to get people hooked on plastic crack, if not yourself, HLJ's got a neat bundle right now. All three Entry-Grade kits, a set of Gundam Markers, and Bandai's Entry Nipper for $40AUD with "Cheap Shipping".

I was chatting to a friend about this and he pointed out the new GW bundle is 23 Khorne miniatures for 581 AUD. I'm haven't bought a GW product in a while but that seems crazy.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
:siren:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:scrunt:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I didn't have internet for a week.

It sucked!

Did get some gunpla done though.

Finished this one during work. I enjoyed doing it, for the most part, just wish I hadn't hosed it up so much, especially the stickers.

This one was an absolute blast to build. The colors are so cool, especially the chest piece! I didn't transform it into Neo Bird mode, because I don't have an action stand. But it being a transforming kit meant it was vastly different from all the stuff I'd built before.

Then I went ahead and built Eri. I was having trouble with the right permet plate, it stay in quite right and moving the right arm would cause it to pop out of place. Apparently the core piece of the chest had a molding defect (someone in the discord noticed it from a photo I took) but it wasn't that big a deal, as long as I hold the piece down while I move the arm it's fine. Cheaper and easier than trying to glue it down at least.

And now for something completely different.

My Newtype order came in today and I ordered an EG Kirbo. This was a fun little five minute build. Super easy of course, it's even more for kids than other EGs, but I love Kirby and it's neat having one I built myself.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Nearly finished my Sinanju Stein and was wondering why it felt like it was taking so long compared to my also-HG Barbartos R.L., decided to check at Dalong and...

(barbatos)

lol

(sinanju)

lmao.

After this I'm gonna relax with my HG Aerial before I tackle my MGs.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Somebody bought all the Gundam box art holo/metal cards at the big Asian grocer near me in one day, except for one

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Which one?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Blue Destiny 3 lives in my wallet now

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
Finished up the Red Frame Inversion tonight. I'm finding the acrylic a lot harder to use than the lacquers I've been using, but apart from problems with durability, the red comes out really good and is great against the gloss black:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Pierson posted:

Nearly finished my Sinanju Stein and was wondering why it felt like it was taking so long compared to my also-HG Barbartos R.L., decided to check at Dalong and...

(barbatos)

lol

(sinanju)

lmao.

After this I'm gonna relax with my HG Aerial before I tackle my MGs.

Yeah, this is a pretty good comparison of what separates even modern series line HG kits from HGUC line HG kits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SnakesRevenge posted:

Finished up the Red Frame Inversion tonight. I'm finding the acrylic a lot harder to use than the lacquers I've been using, but apart from problems with durability, the red comes out really good and is great against the gloss black:

That looks beautiful! :eyepop:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

Yeah, this is a pretty good comparison of what separates even modern series line HG kits from HGUC line HG kits.

I mean, it depends on the kit.

There are HGUC releases like the Leo that are bog simple, and there are HG sublines like The Origin that get really complex. It's more the Sinanju itself that's a long build than anything.

That said, with the shared inner frames and the low price point, IBO kits do tend to be quick builds, even when they've got a lot of parts. Meanwhile, Unicorn kits tend to be very high detail. I think it's partially a consequence of how IBO, Witch, and AGE were all meant to bring in new young viewers, while Unicorn, Hathaway, and The Origin were all more aimed at older Gundam fans who'd presumably be more patient with long builds.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've been planning to host a gunpla night for a couple of friends. This is the perfect gateway drug set, give them a free trial and see what happens.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's also because a HG line for a "current" series is going to compromise more than a few things in the interests of speed. Up until we started getting HG__ releases of AUs, the substandard kits we got while the show was airing and afterwards was all we ever got if it wasn't going to get a MG or something else. Then we started getting AU HGUCs, and they worked hard on beefing up those kits they released during the show's airing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's also a case of matching the art styles if different shows. There's a world of difference between the design of the Unicorn and any given IBO suit and just by the way they're drawn it gives the model makers a better idea of where to apply detail and where to make concessions for the sake of the build quality.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm fed up with stickers, how do people prefer to paint their eyes? Reverse wash, or just get a super-fine brush and paint the eyes normally with something nice and metallic?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

You can also do the lazy method: paint them over with the eye color and draw the black in with a Gundam panel marker.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Cyber fairy wings

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1622521753921810432?s=46&t=WpCAawR_uHgQVcsJ7ZqkmA

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Would those fit the aerial? I think some of the 30mm accessories were compatible.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Azubah posted:

Would those fit the aerial? I think some of the 30mm accessories were compatible.

Oh for sure, Bandai went all in on the 3mm peg standard once they figured it out.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 362 days!

chiasaur11 posted:

I think it's partially a consequence of how IBO, Witch, and AGE were all meant to bring in new young viewers, while Unicorn, Hathaway, and The Origin were all more aimed at older Gundam fans who'd presumably be more patient with long builds.

I never really thought of that but this makes a ton of sense

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Anyone have any recommendations for types/sizes/materials of brushes for small-detail work? Not just eyes but stuff like inner-frame piping, wiring, rivets, stuff like that?

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Pierson posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for types/sizes/materials of brushes for small-detail work? Not just eyes but stuff like inner-frame piping, wiring, rivets, stuff like that?

Speaking of, is there a good video series to learn beginning to end how to paint that you guys recommend? I rather see one person’s full style before mixing up other people’s techniques. Not sure if you know what I mean.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Pierson posted:

#2 round. A sable brush is the best option, but if you're not already familiar with brush handling and cleaning you're going to gently caress it up and spend more money than you need. Get a golden taklon brush to start, and a puck of brush soap. The brush will ultimately get jacked up in the course of normal use, but keep it so you have a good drybrush or stippling brush or what have you.

IG-88 posted:

Speaking of, is there a good video series to learn beginning to end how to paint that you guys recommend? I rather see one person’s full style before mixing up other people’s techniques. Not sure if you know what I mean.

How basic are you looking to go here? Like, beginnings of wet blending for lighting or "here's how to hold a brush?"

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

grassy gnoll posted:

#2 round. A sable brush is the best option, but if you're not already familiar with brush handling and cleaning you're going to gently caress it up and spend more money than you need. Get a golden taklon brush to start, and a puck of brush soap. The brush will ultimately get jacked up in the course of normal use, but keep it so you have a good drybrush or stippling brush or what have you.

How basic are you looking to go here? Like, beginnings of wet blending for lighting or "here's how to hold a brush?"

Oh definitely as basic as "here's what you need and here's how to hold your brush and start"

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Would anyone in the UK be interested in buying an RG Sazabi, runners still sealed for RRP plus shipping? After doing a few I've decided I'm not a huge fan of 1/144 kits.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

IG-88 posted:

Oh definitely as basic as "here's what you need and here's how to hold your brush and start"

My personal recommendation is Vince Venturella who is the "Simpsons did it" of the Miniatures Painting thread. He typically works at a smaller scale than gunpla but the concepts are all the same. I'd say browse the Beginner's Guides first then peruse his Hobby Cheating vids at your leisure. There are vids on panel modulation and lining that are particularly relevant to gunpla.

In text form there's also the Layman's Gunpla Guide which has several painting sections. If you were Neo I would download this into your brain first.

Because gundams are vehicles, you can borrow a lot of concepts from the scale modeling community. That's where you'll find the best techniques for weathering imo. We have a Scale Modeling thread in the DIY subforums if you ever want to pick brains there.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Wasn't there an Excel spreadsheet posted earlier of good places to buy gunpla locally divided by state? Anyone still have that?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Cat Hatter posted:

Wasn't there an Excel spreadsheet posted earlier of good places to buy gunpla locally divided by state? Anyone still have that?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y55CAtwcmF9_77OOSxXKHQYI6HTchBmSvXA9y-ac894/edit#gid=78380482
https://gundamshoppersnetwork.com/pages/recommended-us-gunpla-hobby-retailers

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/wavemomchan/status/1623190501787848705?s=20&t=kmrWzXMhWUS6f6mkYHpieg

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

My personal recommendation is Vince Venturella who is the "Simpsons did it" of the Miniatures Painting thread. He typically works at a smaller scale than gunpla but the concepts are all the same. I'd say browse the Beginner's Guides first then peruse his Hobby Cheating vids at your leisure. There are vids on panel modulation and lining that are particularly relevant to gunpla.

In text form there's also the Layman's Gunpla Guide which has several painting sections. If you were Neo I would download this into your brain first.

Because gundams are vehicles, you can borrow a lot of concepts from the scale modeling community. That's where you'll find the best techniques for weathering imo. We have a Scale Modeling thread in the DIY subforums if you ever want to pick brains there.

FunakaTown had a good pdf that covers just about everything you can do to a robot model: https://www.gunjap.net/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Building_Gunpla_Final.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My Moderoid Valimar arrived today!

It's looking to be a mixed bag, unfortunately. The green "Core" bits are coloured (literally painted on the runner, by the looks of it), but the gold/bronze filigree? That's all single-piece grey and you gotta paint it yourself.

Also there's no painting guide included.

No stickers either.