Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

SaucyPants posted:

is that your bike? did it start of as an SE and then get repainted or was it a regular 636 and then got painted titanium?

in 2005 they came in just the titanium color alone, I think 2006 is when it was titanium with the (UGLY) red flames?

Yes more 636s ! for some reason it just seems like the least loved of the 600 super sports even though probably the best in that current generation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

SaucyPants posted:

is that your bike? did it start of as an SE and then get repainted or was it a regular 636 and then got painted titanium?

Ya it's mine and like infraboy said, 05's were just the titanium color, 06 got the god awful ugly red flames.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
ya I am glad the flames were mostly taken off mine, I do like the red wheels though. I am ordering new signals and a seat cowl today I am not sure if smoked or clear will look best though. thoughts?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Smoked looks better on Mattfl's bike. Clear would be better if it was blue or green, IMO.

More than once the ricer in me has wanted to pick up a set of those red wheels for my blue 636.

Sir.Tucker
Sep 17, 2006

For the Workforce!
Mmmmmm. I could stare at her all day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

CAN I OFFER YOU A NICE EGG IN THIS TRYING TIME?
Just bought this guy about 3 weeks ago. 2008 Harley XL1200N. Sounds and runs like a champion, took the front fender off. It was a bit uncomfortable at first, but I could ride it all day now that I've settled in a bit.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Looks a bit weird without a front fender imho.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

sonikburn posted:

Just bought this guy about 3 weeks ago. 2008 Harley XL1200N. Sounds and runs like a champion, took the front fender off. It was a bit uncomfortable at first, but I could ride it all day now that I've settled in a bit.

Does the clutch weigh a thousand pounds?

n8r posted:

Looks a bit weird without a front fender imho.

Chop cut grind, if it doesn't make it go or stop take it off.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

AnimalChin posted:

Does the clutch weigh a thousand pounds?

Chop cut grind, if it doesn't make it go or stop take it off.

Absolutely. I still maintain that it isn't really yours until you chop something off of it.... and not just unbolt, either... CHOP. That front fender? Ok, but the fender tabs need to go... shave those legs!

Oh, and congrats on the Sporty... best bike in the Harley lineup.

LO Technology
Mar 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

B.Wales! posted:

Just picked this up after searching for months to find the right one...
'86 Yamaha RZ350 two-stroke
CBR929RR front forks & brakes
FZR600 rear swingarm and shock
Spec II pipes, ported, reeds, etc
Painted in R1/R6 SE Kenny Roberts colors

I've had 6 of that generation LCII YPVS bikes. Picked up my first from new in '84 Currently own two 350 (RD and TZ) and a 500(RD/TZ). Marvelous bikes and ridiculously easy to tune to near insanity. Easy and simple to maintain too.
I'm available for any tips and tricks you might need. If I'm suddenly unavailable Kozmonaut on this forum will know how to contact me.

Royale with Cheese
Jul 26, 2006

They wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.
First bike! 2003 Triumph Speed Four

Finished peeling off the stickers just as the rain picked up, I'll put more photos up tomorrow. It was a great ride home from the seller :3:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Royale with Cheese posted:

Finished peeling off the stickers just as the rain picked up

Why would you do that? Those are sweet!

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Why would you do that? Those are sweet!

I'm a bleeding heart, liberal rear end dude and even I don't think I could rock purple flowers on my bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Send me the stickers so I can put them on the KTM.

Congrats on the bike :)

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Terrible photo, but that's my new Jorge Lorenzo replica RS125.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Welcome to the bike is worth more than the vehicle that transports it club ;)

I wish we got bikes like that over here.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I wish we got trucks like that too. What the hell is it, some kinda RX-7-ute?

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Better photo:

Now that I've gotten it home and taken it for a ride... Jesus. No wonder the guy I bought it told me I'd need a pilot's license for it. Corners like it's on rails and there's absolutely no sense of speed. I may have accidentally done double the limit going through town while taking it for a spin. The Arrow exhaust sounds great, but I'll be putting earplugs in from now on.

Z3n posted:

Welcome to the bike is worth more than the vehicle that transports it club ;)

I wish we got bikes like that over here.

Pretty sure the car's still worth more, but not by much. ;)

I think Aprilia started bringing them to the 'states a couple of years ago, but in track-only format without mirrors and whatnot.

Gnaghi posted:

I wish we got trucks like that too. What the hell is it, some kinda RX-7-ute?

Cab-chassis AU2 Ford Falcon. It was a bit hard to get the bike on with such a high tray, but at least you get the full area to use because of not having to worry about wheel arches.

Shouting Melon fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 12, 2011

LeftyChris
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

Finished peeling off the stickers just as the rain picked up, I'll put more photos up tomorrow. It was a great ride home from the seller :3:

Never mind peeling the stickers off, you need to get rid of that 8ft long exhaust system!

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

First bike! 2003 Triumph Speed Four

That's not a bike, that's a goomba

Royale with Cheese
Jul 26, 2006

They wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.
I'd put goomba eyes on that fairing if somebody could be bothered to make them.

The air intakes look even goofier, don't think I've ever seen those on another bike before.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

I'd put goomba eyes on that fairing if somebody could be bothered to make them.

The air intakes look even goofier, don't think I've ever seen those on another bike before.

The Speed Four's awesome. Sadly underrated. Triumph were a bit ahead of the curve with a pure performance naked, plus IIRC it was seen as the naked version of an unpopular sportsbike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The four was a naked tt600 with basically no changes to it. I find the body styling of both the tt600 and the four to have not aged as well as others.

scarface11d
Nov 12, 2010
This is my new bike

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Altimas
Aug 23, 2006
Picked up my 04 FZ6 last weekend. It's got 45,000 miles and I got it for $2,200. It's also got scratches and cracked plastics all around for no additional charge.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I have two and you won't be disappointed. Your mileage is higher than mine, but these things are beasts. Easiest bike to ride that I've been on, for a newbie you basically look where you want to go and the bike does it for you. The motor has enough umph that you won't feel it's lacking until you may want a 1000, just make sure you're in the right gear. idle-7k slow as hell. A bad thing you might think at first, but really it's perfect for street riding. You never braek 7k just commuting so what's 100 hp good to you? 7-10k gives you a kick in the pants and 10-14 (well, it stops peak power around 12-5 or 13-0 so I usually cut it there) puts a loving huge grin on your face after you've slowed the bitch down and have time to breath again. I don't have trouble hold pace either, I haven't ridden with track day guys well above my level, but it's more than enough bike for you to reach your limit on the street before you reach it's (for me at least).

Downsides are of course the things that make it cheap. It's all motor, suspension is meh and the rest if built cheaply, but that's what I'm looking for in a bike.

We've had ours 5 years and been loving every minute. Not a problem other than oil, tyres and battery.

You're going to have a lot of fun, and a lot of frustration trying to explain to people what kind of bike it is.

Taking a closer look at the pics, what's the backstory? Unless you have the high beams on it's the headlight mod, which usually indicates other mods. Also it looks like the pillion hand guard and plastic have been painted. drat I must have been blind. Frame sliders(that are probably functional as opposed to mine), obvious fender eliminator, looks like the front turn signals have been messed with and the gas tank looks funky. Or is the tank just a weird perspective?

I'll even go out on a limb and say the sprocket looks upped the seat has been changed. These could be perspective as well tho, but with that extent I can't believe they kept the stock windshield. Of course, I could be talking out of my rear end here, but if you post up a non-stock bike give us some fun things to think about :)

Seems like this bike has a decent story

nsaP fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 21, 2011

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Can I play too? This is bike 1 of 7 at the moment.

It started life as a YSR50, but now has a YZ80 engine in it.
It's registered as a scooter :ssh:

Altimas
Aug 23, 2006

nsaP posted:

idle-7k slow as hell. A bad thing you might think at first, but really it's perfect for street riding. You never braek 7k just commuting so what's 100 hp good to you?

Taking a closer look at the pics, what's the backstory? Unless you have the high beams on it's the headlight mod, which usually indicates other mods. Also it looks like the pillion hand guard and plastic have been painted. drat I must have been blind. Frame sliders(that are probably functional as opposed to mine), obvious fender eliminator, looks like the front turn signals have been messed with and the gas tank looks funky. Or is the tank just a weird perspective?

I'll even go out on a limb and say the sprocket looks upped the seat has been changed. These could be perspective as well tho, but with that extent I can't believe they kept the stock windshield. Of course, I could be talking out of my rear end here, but if you post up a non-stock bike give us some fun things to think about :)

Seems like this bike has a decent story
I rode it to work for the first time today and it suits me fine. I usually keep it under 7k.

I had the high beams on when I took the pic and I honestly thought there was something wrong with the bike when only one light was on with the low beam.

The frame sliders are functional, I tested them already. Note to self: always put the kickstand down before mounting bike. It's funny how I took the MSF course 2 weeks ago and I forgot stuff already.

Signal lights are non-standard. Exhaust is stock, but the PO mentioned a gutted cat, which makes me a bit uneasy. I'm pretty happy with it as it is. The only thing I would change about it is to find one of those low seats that only the European dealers carry.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Altimas posted:

I had the high beams on when I took the pic and I honestly thought there was something wrong with the bike when only one light was on with the low beam.

The frame sliders are functional, I tested them already. Note to self: always put the kickstand down before mounting bike. It's funny how I took the MSF course 2 weeks ago and I forgot stuff already.

On both of these, you're not the first and won't be the last. I developed a habit of kicking my sidestand to make sure its fully out immediately before i rest the bike on it. When normally parking this is a fluid motion: Slide stand out, give it a kick, rest her over. However, it's saved my rear end a few times at gas stations and the like, where I was standing and thinking the kickstand was out, only to give a kick to nothing.

I didn't even form this habit on purpose, my garage is raised an inch above the driveway as I'm sure many are and the stand often gets caught on it. Still, a good habit for me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

DefaultPeanut posted:

Can I play too? This is bike 1 of 7 at the moment.

It started life as a YSR50, but now has a YZ80 engine in it.
It's registered as a scooter :ssh:

Those are a lot of fun with the YZ80 engine, though suspension and brakes are a bit lacking. I'll be registering mine as a scooter as well. I just hope I don't get pulled over by a cop that knows bikes, mine has a YZ125 engine crammed in there.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

mine has a YZ125 engine crammed in there.

Holy poo poo dude.

Do you just get knee and elbow and helmet down everywhere? And is the front wheel ever on the ground?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Saga posted:

Holy poo poo dude.

Do you just get knee and elbow and helmet down everywhere? And is the front wheel ever on the ground?

It is interesting to ride...the suspension on these bikes is a joke (non-oil filled) and the brakes aren't really up to the task. I plan on getting a real shock for the rear and putting different forks on mine at some point.

Right now it is geared pretty mild so it is manageable but I'm tempted to gear it stupid so I can just wheelie everywhere. Powerband is so narrow it is hilarious. Rear sets will have to be made because it drags pegs way too easy.

It will be getting track plastics which will likely be painted bright pink...friend foolishly agreed to pay for paint if I went pink. Plus passing people on a 3/4 scale pink bike would be fun.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 21, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NitroSpazzz posted:

Plus passing people on a 3/4 scale pink bike pulling a wheelie would be fun.

If you do this, please upload a video to youtube or something.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

nsaP posted:

On both of these, you're not the first and won't be the last. I developed a habit of kicking my sidestand to make sure its fully out immediately before i rest the bike on it. When normally parking this is a fluid motion: Slide stand out, give it a kick, rest her over. However, it's saved my rear end a few times at gas stations and the like, where I was standing and thinking the kickstand was out, only to give a kick to nothing.

I didn't even form this habit on purpose, my garage is raised an inch above the driveway as I'm sure many are and the stand often gets caught on it. Still, a good habit for me.

I've always managed to remember the kickstand when I've been on the bike (so far), but at the weekend when I had it on the rear stand I came thiiiiis close to taking the stand out with the kickstand up :downs:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Forty Two posted:

I've always managed to remember the kickstand when I've been on the bike (so far), but at the weekend when I had it on the rear stand I came thiiiiis close to taking the stand out with the kickstand up :downs:

I definitely dropped my SV in front of rush hour traffic because I failed to put the kickstand down. Man that was embarassing..

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Forty Two posted:

I've done this twice now, after changing the oil and putting the side stand up to get it out of the way. Luckily the first time I had someone close by and was able to keep the bike balanced until they put the side stand down, and the second time I noticed as soon as the rear tire touched the ground, and jumped it back up onto the rear stand without incident.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

sirbeefalot posted:

I've done this twice now, after changing the oil and putting the side stand up to get it out of the way. Luckily the first time I had someone close by and was able to keep the bike balanced until they put the side stand down, and the second time I noticed as soon as the rear tire touched the ground, and jumped it back up onto the rear stand without incident.

I almost did it once on the Versys. Hopped on, kicked up the stand, realized I forgot my ipod, put it back down to hop off and HOLY poo poo IT'S GOING OVER. I'm pretty sure I have some reserve strength somewhere that kicks in in those moments.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
I always keep my left hand on the grip until I'm positive it's not going to fall over. I've saved myself at least a couple embarrassing drops that way.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I'm not sure if it's 100% good for the bike but I always use my sidestand cut-off to turn the bike off. That way I know it's off and the bike wont fall over. Only time I've been close to having it fall over is when I stretch at traffic lights and am pretty much standing up and having the bike supported only by my inner leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Aargh posted:

I'm not sure if it's 100% good for the bike but I always use my sidestand cut-off to turn the bike off.

The most memorable near drop I had was when I kicked my stand (wearing armored boots), but it didn't engage all the way down and just knocked back to the resting position. However, it did go far enough to hit the engine cutoff point for when it was in gear. So I get off the bike and as I start moving over to help a new rider get his bike back into first, it starts to pull at my hand, nearly falling.

This drop would have happened in front of two good friends, a close neighbor, and a completely new rider who I had been schooling. New as in having bought the bike literally hours ago and made me ride it for him.

I'm really paranoid about that now, so that hand stays on that bar until there's no chance it's dropping.